What do you think are the ten most important cards to the history of the game?

SWCCG game play discussion.
dms
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

What do you think are the ten most important cards to the history of the game?

Post by dms »

If there were a museum to the game, which ten cards would need displays?

superdayv on GEMP

Berm
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Re: What do you think are the ten most important cards to the history of the game?

Post by Berm »

In no particular order and ignoring any legacy-only virtual cards.

1: Prepared Defenses/Heading for the medical frigate
2: Emperor Palp/LSJK
3: Operative Objectives
4: An Unusual Amount of Fear/Fear is My Ally
5: Wokling (v)
6: Yavin IV Throne Room
7: Podracing (however you want to count that card)
8: Executor/Home one (more Executor though)
9: Senate Objectives
10: Han Chewie & Falcon

Notable mentions:
Naked Threepio
Control
Houjix/Ghhhk
Zuckuss in Mist Hunter
And others.

Just a quick first pass.

DS-61-4

Re: What do you think are the ten most important cards to the history of the game?

Post by DS-61-4 »

A few thoughts:

Definitely something for Operatives

The URs

Commander Luke with DS Back

U-3PO

The graded timer mine

The best easter egg card (Cloud CIty: Dining Room?)

I feel like Spaceport Speeders might be a good ode to creativity of mechanics in oldschool deckbuilding.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

Revolution
Monnok
Grimtaash
Houjix
Ghhhk
Battle plan
Battle order
Draw their fire
An unsual amount of fear
Fear is my ally

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Darth Vader from premiere should be on the list for sure. I think if we look from a gameplay perspective of which cards were most influential, then cards like Ghhhk, or Monnok, or Spaceport Speeders probably wouldn't make the list. Sense and Alter should. I'd probably put The Signal/Twilek Advisor in before Prep defenses/HFTMF.

Ok at this point I'll just make my own list, in chronological order. Berm had some good ones so I'm going to steal a few of those here.

1. Darth Vader -- the ultimate chase card for the longest time. The only vader we had (not counting 2P vader for obvious reasons) until Special Edition, so this guy had a very long run, and was an extremely powerful card during his time. Great looking card whose image is now iconic.
2. Sense/Alter (Premiere) -- these cards dominated competitive play for years and even with counters and bullets are still among the strongest cards in the game.
3. Great Warrior -- New card type, but IMO this showcased the possibilities of SWCCG. You were able to train anybody you wanted (of ability 3+) to be on their way to becoming a jedi. How cool is that?
4. Captain Han Solo -- one of the best images from the best looking set ever made. Super powerful card, enabled the Super Falcon.
5. The Signal/Twilek Advisor -- Huge change for gameplay getting to start with more cards on table. The first starting cards other than a single location means these deserve a spot here for changing the game.
6. Operative Objectives -- This is not just on here for the infamous worlds 98 but also because it was one of the first objectives in general.
7. LSJK/Emperor -- The first Ultra Rares, the first 6 destiny mains, incredibly strong cards and very expensive and highly sought after to this day.
8. Threepio With His Parts Showing -- First episode 1 set, although it's a similar mechanic to Mirax, this was objectively better and has consistently seen tons of play since its release. Basically impossible to make a new Threepio that is balanced and playable after this, which explains why so few virtual threepios have even been attempted.
9. An Unusual Amount of Fear/Fear is My Ally -- another huge first, defensive shields greatly changed how the game is played.
10. HCF -- Not from the final set (released one month prior to Theed I believe), but it represents the power creep in the final rush to release cards better than anything in Theed does.

Honorable mention:
Speak with the Jedi Council/We must accelerate our plans -- pulling 2/0 and 3/0 locations, IMO, may be the biggest mistake ever made by Decipher.

Edit:
Great list from the franchise as well, I would also include Battle Plan/order and revo in my list but will leave it as is for now.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

londonsean
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack
GEMP Username: londonsean

Post by londonsean »

Monnok/Grimtaash
Sense/Alter/Control
Darth Vader (Premiere)
3,720 to 1 and/or Asteroid Sanctuary
Operatives
Random assortment of Objectives
LSJK/Palpy
An Unusual Amount of Fear/Fear is My Ally
I Did It!
Wokling (v)
Throne Room

I did 11.
Last edited by londonsean on August 24th, 2020, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English National Runner-up - 2019
OCS 2019 (19-65) | OCS 2020 (18-66)
Participation Award Recipient MPC 2020, TMW 2020, Euros 2020, RTW 2020, World Championships 2020

“Too many decisions are made in isolation. The game isn't played in a vacuum (the dust would get all over your cards, you'd definitely need to double sleeve).” -arebelspy

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

1. Sense
2. Monnok/Grimtaash
3. Heading for the Medical Frigate/Prepared Defenses
4. An Unusual Amount of Fear/Fear is My Ally
5. Yavin 4: Throne Room
6. Hunt Down and Destroy the Jedi
7. The Executor
8. Yoda
9. Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
10. Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith

The first 4 are game defining cards. The Throne Room and Hunt Down represent decks that have been at the top of the game forever. The Throne Room highlights that Dark Side goes first, is a location on this list. Hunt Down shows off objectives and how thematic the game can be. Executor and Yoda are two of my favorite card images in the game (though Cloud City is definitely the best looking set in the game). Then you need a Luke and Vader on the list. I could see premiere Vader over this one though.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

I would have exhibits on each of these pairs to tell the story of SWCCG.

Premiere Luke Skywalker/Premiere Darth Vader-Iconic Characters!
Sense/Alter-Interrupts!
Commence Primary Ignition/Attack Run-Live out the movies!
Anger, Fear, Aggression/Knowledge & Defense-Insert cards and other NPEs!
Luke w/ Lightsaber/Darth Vader w/ Lightsaber-EPP Cards
Twilek Advisor/The Signal-Starting Interrupts!
BHBM/TIGIH-Objectives!
Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter/Lando, Scoundrel-Maintenance Cards!
Fear is My Ally/An Unusual Amount of Fear-Starting Effects and Shields!
Luke Skywalker v/Darth Vader v-Virtual Cards!
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Interesting seeing a lot of the different interpretations of “important”.

I’m surprised to not see Imperial Arrest Order mentioned yet, from a gameplay vein.
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Luke Skywalker v
Darth Vader
HDADTJ / TFHGOOTU
Sense & Alter
Houjix & Monnok
Emperor Palpatine
The Signal & Twi'lek Advisor
Fear Is My Ally & An Unusual Amount of Fear
HFTMF & Prepared Defenses
Kin Kian v
(just kidding, MLITL? / IWMIL)
Bill Kafer
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.
Corran wrote:Honestly, Tacobill should just be the boss of SWCCG.

Thekillerkiwi
GEMP Username: killerkiwi

Post by Thekillerkiwi »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 3:37 pm
Interesting seeing a lot of the different interpretations of “important”.

I’m surprised to not see Imperial Arrest Order mentioned yet, from a gameplay vein.
Yeah, when I read important, I see gameplay significance. To me these are the things that either altered the way the game was played or introduced a critical element for future designs.

1. Sense/Alter
2. Grimtaash/Monnok
3. Houjix/Ghhhk
4. Never Tell Me The Odds/3720 to 1
5. Twi'lek Advisor/The Signal
6. Objectives, or more specifically Hunt Down and Hidden Base.
7. Battle Order/Battle Plan
8. Insurrection/Imperial Arrest Order
9. Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight/Emperor Palpatine
10. An Unusual Amount of Fear/Fear Is My Ally
Brandon Baity
2020 Endor League Champion

Please support my SWCCG Documentary - https://www.gofundme.com/star-wars-ccg-documentary

Check out my Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/thenanashi

Berm
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Berm »

TacoBill wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 7:27 pm
Luke Skywalker v
Darth Vader
HDADTJ / TFHGOOTU
Sense & Alter
Houjix & Monnok
Emperor Palpatine
The Signal & Twi'lek Advisor
Fear Is My Ally & An Unusual Amount of Fear
HFTMF & Prepared Defenses
Kin Kian v
(just kidding, MLITL? / IWMIL)
That's the first time I've ever seen it written out like that :epic:

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Ghhhk/houjix
Monnok/Grimtaash
battle plan/order
Heading for the medical frigate/Prepared defenses
Fear is my ally/An unusual amount of fear
Yavin IV massassi throne room
Wesa got a grand army/we must accelerate our plans
insurrection/imperial arrest order

Objectives get an honorable mention, but as they're not a single card or mirror they don't get the nod.

TheLuhks
GEMP Username: Luhks

Post by TheLuhks »

I would nominate Tatooine: Jabba's Palace (or the Dagobah system). I credit these cards for starting the development of the downloading aspect of the game, which then accelerated with Special Edition.
FINN: I need a weapon.

chriskelly
Design Advocate

Post by chriskelly »

Battle Plan/Order defensive shields need to be #1 I think.

After that the list needs grabbers, throne room, Grimtaash/Monnok in some order.

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Post by Solidsnack3 »

Wasn't Monnok/Grimtaash an answer to sense and alter since people ran so many copies (among many other attempts to curb them in A New Hope, such as grabbers) ? Ironically they could be sensed if you had a character on table. I might have my history wrong?
-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

lsrubin
DS Region: Yavin 4
DS Region: Yavin 4
GEMP Username: lsrubin

Post by lsrubin »

Hoth: Main Power Generators (1st Marker)

Before Hoth, site deployment rules were just, put sites wherever you want on that planet, and vehicles at interior sites are just considered to be "waiting outside" and don't participate in battles there. When Decipher made the Energy Shield rules, they realized they needed to change the rules so that planets were [Interior][Docking Bay][Exterior]. The game would look completely different if that rule hadn't been made.
☮ ♥ ⑦
arebelspy wrote:The magic was inside you all along, you just had to believe. <3
kcaton wrote:"Jesus Christ, is that Lenny!?"

Duros
Starter
Starter

Post by Duros »

Zuckuss in Mist Hunter

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

chriskelly wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 3:46 pm
Battle Plan/Order defensive shields need to be #1 I think.
After watching Bastian's Jedi Training Academy, and having many games decided by who could satisfy BO/BP and who couldn't, agree here.
Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club
Image Image Image

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

lsrubin wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 8:43 am
Hoth: Main Power Generators (1st Marker)

Before Hoth, site deployment rules were just, put sites wherever you want on that planet, and vehicles at interior sites are just considered to be "waiting outside" and don't participate in battles there. When Decipher made the Energy Shield rules, they realized they needed to change the rules so that planets were [Interior][Docking Bay][Exterior]. The game would look completely different if that rule hadn't been made.
So I didn't start until ESB 2 player....did the original rules allow vehicles at any site?
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

Return to “General Discussion”