Some love for MKOS?

SWCCG game play discussion.
ElDuderino
GEMP Username: ElDuderino

Some love for MKOS?

Post by ElDuderino »

I've never played a Court deck, but I have an unabashed love of MKOS. It's by no means a Tier 1 deck, but its one of my favorites to play.

Here's something: Court > MKOS

It's more popular, yes, but it's also a more competitive deck. Still, one of the nice things about playing MKOS is that, even though it doesn't get a lot of attention, given Court's popularity, when Court gets a boost, that boost will often also help MKOS.

Of course, the converse is also true. Because Court IS a Tier 1 deck, whenever any LS cards get released aimed at curbing Court (or, to a lesser degree, CCT), they're going to have a (disproportionate) negative effect on MKOS.

I'm guessing it's difficult to design a card that hurts Court without also hurting MKOS. But is the reverse true? Is it possible to design a MKOS helper that doesn't also thereby help (at least not to the same degree) Court?

I feel like I keep getting punished for something my big brother is doing.
Last edited by ElDuderino on October 15th, 2020, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berm
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Re: Some love for MKOS?

Post by Berm »

Jabba's Haven was a Court helper that was an even better MKOS helper. The battle destiny text was designed for the flip side of MKOS.

They've created a few MKOS specific helpers (namely virtualizing some of the possible reps). But you're right, they certainly could make a specific helper without helping Court.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Helper text that includes "When your rep on table.." would do it.

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Definitely. Something that specifically talks about reps, or a helper effect that only deploys on table if Jabba's Palace on table (which Court/CCT wouldn't have)....or more simply, "if My Kind of Scum on table."

Think the bigger question is, when Court and CCT are already tier 1, is it good for the game to try and boost yet another Scum platform? You'd probably want to curb those other two first, but like you said, it's much harder to do that without also hitting MKOS.

Do think its a fun deck, and wouldn't mind it seeing a little more viability. Especially since Weequay Marksman got added to GEMP recently - been fun messing around with some Hondo/Pirate builds.
arebelspy wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Agree with Ryan.

sac89837

Post by sac89837 »

1) A new Bib would help

2) A rep as good as General Jar Jar would help

3) MOAR Pirates!

Hopefully we can get some done in the future.
On a unicorn, riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

"Bounty Hunters don't do brunch."

ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

arebelspy wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 2:58 pm
True! Ryan's suggestions would seem to work as well.
rsersen wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 3:04 pm
Do think its a fun deck, and wouldn't mind it seeing a little more viability. Especially since Weequay Marksman got added to GEMP recently - been fun messing around with some Hondo/Pirate builds.
My build is a Weequay build. Been waiting for that Marksman for YEARS! Unfortunately, my build has moved so far away from actually relying on Weequay, that he's no longer useful in the deck. However, I did throw together a janky Weequay build with Marksman and some guns the other day. Excited to play it (in Jawa only!).
Last edited by ElDuderino on October 14th, 2020, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

sac89837 wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 3:21 pm
1) A new Bib would help
Thank you, but I'm perfectly happy with my 12 power Bib. :)

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

My Dream Card, Well Guarded v

Deploy on your side of table. While you have fewer than 13 cards in your hand, your non-unique cards in hand (except effects of any kind and any interrupts) are immune to Grimtaash. Once per game, may [upload] or retrieve Wounded wookiee or any character with "guard" in lore (Immune to Alter).

viewtopic.php?f=491&t=75135

ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

FlorisV wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Deploy on your side of table. While you have fewer than 13 cards in your hand, your non-unique cards in hand (except effects of any kind and any interrupts) are immune to Grimtaash. Once per game, may [upload] or retrieve Wounded wookiee or any character with "guard" in lore (Immune to Alter).

That's interesting. Yeah, Well Guarded is certainly Well Suited for v treatment as as an MKOS booster!

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

ElDuderino wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlorisV wrote:

That's interesting. Yeah, Well Guarded is certainly Well Suited for v treatment as as an MKOS booster!
Thanks. I also think Aurra v has boosted MKOS btw, huge with Jabba's Through With You in MKOS and she's pullable with Hondo.
Jabba's Twerps is also getting more interesting each set with the increase of DS alien leaders (Dryden Vos will be added).

Pantherpike
GEMP Username: Gladniator

Post by Pantherpike »

I also like MKOS and know it needs a helper and toyed around with various iterations of Well Guarded in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=491&t=75756

For me, I wanted a way to remove the Tatooine deployment restrictions for Jawas, Weequay, Gamorreans and Niktos as well as a reliable method of getting 1 Tatooine BG location (you could even pull the system and open a starting slot where Jabba's Haven would go [for Nal Hutta]). Or you could pull a Jawa or Tusken site that helps those decks or even Cantina if you wanted a nice big drain on Tatooine. Note that the removal of deployment restrictions would remove the 1 force from opponent requirement for Jawas too. Lots of good ideas in the thread.
This is where my signature is supposed to be, but I can't get it to do cursive!

Berm
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by Berm »

FlorisV wrote:

Drop the "immune to alter" and it might actually get built. The objective makes it immune to alter for you.

Then again, with the new defensive shields limiting grimtash/monnok it might be fine to allow this to be started in any deck.

Hazardville
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: Jagteq

Post by Hazardville »

Berm wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlorisV wrote:

Drop the "immune to alter" and it might actually get built. The objective makes it immune to alter for you.

Then again, with the new defensive shields limiting grimtash/monnok it might be fine to allow this to be started in any deck.
Yeah, unlike Yarna which has real applications in finding Cantina/Mos Eisley or what have you, this card doesn't really do much outside of MKOS except a OPG pull. I don't see much harm in letting it just be played by anyone (barring of course some crazy interaction with a pullable guard, probably one that can't be played in MKOS, in which case yeah just take Immune to Alter off).
Justin Miyashiro

Baron Soontir Fel
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
Holotable username: Baron Soontir Fel
GEMP Username: BSF

Post by Baron Soontir Fel »

ElDuderino wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 3:33 pm
arebelspy wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 2:58 pm
True! Ryan's suggestions would seem to work as well.
rsersen wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 3:04 pm
My build is a Weequay build. Been waiting for that Marksman for YEARS! Unfortunately, my build has moved so far away from actually relying on Weequay, that he's no longer useful in the deck. However, I did throw together a janky Weequay build with Marksman and some guns the other day. Excited to play it (in Jawa only!).
On a side note. Thanks a lot for the info that Weequaq Marksman has made it's way to Gemp and many thanks to the coder who is responsible for this.
About the rest, kinda disagree that MKOS is a weak deck. It can do quite a lot. Fast set up, retrieval and battling. Had good results with my MKOS deck so far. Of course it didn't get the power creep cards that other decks received. But some of this will be tuned down with the next errata.

I think MKOS needs no booster card. Just keep the top tier decks in check.

ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

FlorisV wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 5:01 pm
ElDuderino wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlorisV wrote:

Thanks. I also think Aurra v has boosted MKOS btw, huge with Jabba's Through With You in MKOS and she's pullable with Hondo.
Jabba's Twerps is also getting more interesting each set with the increase of DS alien leaders (Dryden Vos will be added).
Yeah, she's been a really fantastic addition to the deck.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

A new Boelo would be nice. To a lesser extent, a new Ephant Mon or Bib.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
seitaer wrote: Corran's streams are great, even if he likes the last jedi

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Heard there was a new rep in town
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

aermet69 wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 8:46 am
Heard there was a new rep in town
I'm not sure a new rep is super high on the list of things that can help MKOS, but yes, these are always welcome!

I would think that what it most needs are (in no particular order) interrupts, effects and characters that have rep/objective specific game text. Maybe even a new Jabba's Palace site.

aermet69
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Each to his own. I just made a gun MKOS anticipating this set. Even without a non-unique gunwielder it's been doing alright. I'm thinking there is some serious potential in that rep and his minions. There are plenty of interrupts already.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

ElDuderino

Post by ElDuderino »

I'm assuming that with the prevalence of Court/CCT, this card is going to get quite a bit of play:
Help Me Obi-Wan Kenobi & Quite A Mercenary [TBD (V)] 4
[TBD - TBD]
Lore: None
LIGHT - INTERRUPT - USED OR LOST INTERRUPT
Text: If opponent's Audience Chamber on table, opponent loses 1 Force when you play this Interrupt.
USED: Cancel None Shall Pass (unless targeting your [Maintenance] or [Permanent Weapon] Rebel) or Elis Helrot. [Immune to Sense.] OR Cancel a smuggler's game text for remainder of turn.
LOST: During your move phase, "break cover" of an Undercover spy. OR During battle, target an opponent's character of ability < 2 with your Jedi or smuggler; target is excluded from battle.
[Set 13]
This is definitely a bummer all around. Ping every time its used. The Used text stops None Shall Pass and blanks Wooof, Ponda Boba and my ORSs. The Lost text effects a significant chunk of my characters (Bib, Greedo, Chokk, all the droids and the Weequay (in my case, but will effect any of the non-unique aliens I imagine, edit: well, not the new Set 13 ones!)).

This is an auto-grab, no?

Return to “General Discussion”