Obviously

SWCCG game play discussion.
Batmouse
LS Region: Alderaan
GEMP Username: batmouse

Obviously

Post by Batmouse »

Since obvious things aren’t always obvious for some reason, what needs to be included in the code of conduct for Gemp?

1. Do not join a league with more than 1 account.

Don’t attempt to gain a competitive advantage over other players either via collusion or attempting to garner a better draw. Don’t cheat. Seriously just don’t cheat.
Wouldn’t think we’d have to write this down but apparently we do.

2. This is a community place that does have children come in and play.

Act like a civil human being

3. No personal attacks

We’ve already had people banned for this, theoretically we should all be friends with the possibility that we’ve broken bread with each other at random events. Be good to each other.

Go ahead and add on to this. Please only post what should go in here and a brief explanation as to why.

I know this will begin what may become a war zone but let’s try and keep it simple with more guidelines than hard rules

Proud owner of the alderaan regional trophy of 2009!
Proud WINNER of the Alderaan regional trophy 2017!
The Sheriff of Gemp
quesosauce37 wrote: all hail batmouse the vigilante!
imrahil327 wrote:Awww, it's Batmouse's and my first agreement on a sports topic. Image

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Re: Obviously

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

Batmouse wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Don’t attempt to gain a competitive advantage over other players either via collusion or attempting to garner a better draw. Don’t cheat. Seriously just don’t cheat.
Can you explain what you think is wrong about joining a league with multiple accounts? I agree you shouldn't play games against yourself with another account so feel free to skip that in your answer.

Leagues are the current option for games with better competition and are the only way to play sealed. If you have played the max number of games why shouldn't you be able to join with another account?

Maybe there should be different rules for sealed and constructed leagues.
Last edited by Echo Base Trooper on October 30th, 2020, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Sounds like once finalized the “code of conduct” would be a good link for the top of GEMP...
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

Batmouse

Post by Batmouse »

Echo Base Trooper wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 4:49 pm
Batmouse wrote:

Can you explain what you think is wrong about joining a league with multiple accounts? I agree you shouldn't play games against yourself with another account so feel free to skip that in your answer.

Leagues are the current option for games with better competition and are the only way to play sealed. If you have played the max number of games why shouldn't you be able to join with another account?
They are no longer the only way to play Sealed,Take your sealed deck and put it in an open 40 card game.

The top portion is specifically why you shouldn’t join a league with multiple accounts. If I play all of my games and put my self in the top ten. And then do that with all of my accounts now everyone else that could have possibly been in the top ten loses their chance at prizes as well. When you join a contest or a tournament you expect to have an equal opportunity to win as everyone else and are relying on your skills or your deckbuilding to give you the edge, being fair. If a good player for sealed, let’s say flood decides he wants to win all of the spots in the top 10 with multiple accounts he could do that. That’s not fair to anyone else. Flood doesn’t use multiple accounts to play he’s simply one of the better sealed players. Dieseljr being another one
The Sheriff of Gemp
imrahil327 wrote:Awww, it's Batmouse's and my first agreement on a sports topic. Image

Jedicon
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: jokerking

Post by Jedicon »

Echo Base Trooper wrote:
Batmouse wrote:

It's a tough balance. Previously we had no cap on the number of games that you could play in a league, and players complained that the top places sometimes just went to the players who played the most games.

The counter to that is what you described, that once you play your 10-20 games, you are left without a competitive option until the league/series restarts.

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

Batmouse wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 4:54 pm
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
Batmouse wrote:

They are no longer the only way to play Sealed,Take your sealed deck and put it in an open 40 card game.

The top portion is specifically why you shouldn’t join a league with multiple accounts. If I play all of my games and put my self in the top ten. And then do that with all of my accounts now everyone else that could have possibly been in the top ten loses their chance at prizes as well. When you join a contest or a tournament you expect to have an equal opportunity to win as everyone else and are relying on your skills or your deckbuilding to give you the edge, being fair. If a good player for sealed, let’s say flood decides he wants to win all of the spots in the top 10 with multiple accounts he could do that. That’s not fair to anyone else. Flood doesn’t use multiple accounts to play he’s simply one of the better sealed players. Dieseljr being another one
I disagree that's a problem but thank you for explaining more than just saying "it's obvious".

Would you agree the rules should be different between sealed and constructed leagues? Is there a problem if someone joins an open league with an alt to get in some competitive games without revealing what deck they are playing?
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

Batmouse

Post by Batmouse »

Jedicon wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 5:03 pm
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
Batmouse wrote:

It's a tough balance. Previously we had no cap on the number of games that you could play in a league, and players complained that the top places sometimes just went to the players who played the most games.

The counter to that is what you described, that once you play your 10-20 games, you are left without a competitive option until the league/series restarts.
The simple answer for that is if there are enough players that have finished their game and want something competitive ... ask. I’ve setup additional leagues and side leagues for years for people to play more. My goal is more games of competitive Star Wars. Just ask. And as far as sealed players wanting something more I can handle that too. But don’t cheat! It never hurts to ask for something, The worst I could say or anyone say is no. I actually have a couple of fun ideas that I want to do but no one ever asks for anything they assume asking forgiveness is easier than asking for anything else.
The Sheriff of Gemp

Batmouse

Post by Batmouse »

Echo Base Trooper wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 5:06 pm
Batmouse wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 4:54 pm
Echo Base Trooper wrote:
Batmouse wrote:

I disagree that's a problem but thank you for explaining more than just saying "it's obvious".

Would you agree the rules should be different between sealed and constructed leagues? Is there a problem if someone joins an open league with an alt to get in some competitive games without revealing what deck they are playing?
No they aren’t different there either. We have the message box use your alt to ask for something competitive.
The Sheriff of Gemp

dillen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: dillen

Post by dillen »

I would not have any problem with someone playing an alt in an open league (no tournament). Who cares about the ranking in an open league? Whats the other option to test decks for lets say "worlds" or decks you are new to in a at least a little competitive inviroment? Not everybody has or wants to join a team for secret testing... This would really favor players who are long in the game and have a lot of players they can test with. If I remember when there were limits before corona quarantene and I wanted to have an other few games testing I made an alt myself not thinking a single second it could hurt anybodys feeling nor did I want to get a top place. I dont even remember the name of that alt nor the passwort I used...

Other than that, point 2 and 3 is obvious. Stay friendly in victory or loss. We are all here to have a good time, weather its just for fun or to challenge yourself to play as good as possible.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

The only issue I've ever had with alts is the sealed leagues.

Not enough to actually care about it one way or another, as there are certain players in those environments I won't play against.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Well if people are filling up on their games, then that should be a sign to fire leagues more often. But if everyone just makes an alt and continues to play in the same league, then there will never be a sign to our fearless leader to create more leagues unless people tell him. It isn't hard to do, but if people don't know because everyone is playing alts, it will never get done.

Maybe you don't care, but some people do like to finish at the top of the league. There are prizes for doing so and some events require you to build up those prizes to play in them. If people block others with alts, that is poor sportsmanship.

Also, playing with multiple alts will give bad data on active players and players that like a format. That data could be used to schedule more big events online or putting up events with certain formats.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

dillen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: dillen

Post by dillen »

rhendon wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 8:57 pm
Well if people are filling up on their games, then that should be a sign to fire leagues more often. But if everyone just makes an alt and continues to play in the same league, then there will never be a sign to our fearless leader to create more leagues unless people tell him. It isn't hard to do, but if people don't know because everyone is playing alts, it will never get done.

Maybe you don't care, but some people do like to finish at the top of the league. There are prizes for doing so and some events require you to build up those prizes to play in them. If people block others with alts, that is poor sportsmanship.

Also, playing with multiple alts will give bad data on active players and players that like a format. That data could be used to schedule more big events online or putting up events with certain formats.
Thats a fair point

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

You only get 1 spot in a live event...doesn't make sense you should be able to get more than 1 spot in an online league.

Just my .02

Its definitely an issue for sealed, as people just keep using alt accounts to open packs looking for the best draw so they can try to dominate the field. And that is basically cheating

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

CRG
GEMP Username: CRG

Post by CRG »

gogolen wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 7:58 am
You only get 1 spot in a live event...doesn't make sense you should be able to get more than 1 spot in an online league.

Just my .02

Its definitely an issue for sealed, as people just keep using alt accounts to open packs looking for the best draw so they can try to dominate the field. And that is basically cheating
x2.
Member of:
rsersen wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 1:51 pm
MYWHL club
Image Image Image

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

CRG wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 8:38 am
gogolen wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 7:58 am

Just my .02

x2.
X3
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

I don't do a whole lot of league play, but when I do, I don't want to be playing in a league with alts.

OrehRuoy
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
GEMP Username: orehruoy

Post by OrehRuoy »

If the league thing is about me. I did it to see another pool since its a new format with no intention of playing it. I kind of figured it was a no no so I still shouldn't have. It was done with no ill intention just I like opening packs and wanted to see more of episode 1 format. I also was forward with it. Anyways just throwing that out there. I won't do it again. I don't care about the prizes at all so cheating means nothing to me.

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

Ref alts.

Any way that creating a GEMP account requires an actual email address and its verification? That could help curb the occurence of such cases. And help track problematic players who don't respect the rules.

I think I ve seen sites that ask you to fill in a phone number and send a verification code there. Can actually be even more robust than pure email checks I suppose

Batmouse

Post by Batmouse »

OrehRuoy wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 6:45 pm
If the league thing is about me. I did it to see another pool since its a new format with no intention of playing it. I kind of figured it was a no no so I still shouldn't have. It was done with no ill intention just I like opening packs and wanted to see more of episode 1 format. I also was forward with it. Anyways just throwing that out there. I won't do it again. I don't care about the prizes at all so cheating means nothing to me.
It’s not about you specifically, just your post in the other thread brought it back to the forefront
The Sheriff of Gemp

Batmouse

Post by Batmouse »

alphabeta wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 7:14 pm
Ref alts.

Any way that creating a GEMP account requires an actual email address and its verification? That could help curb the occurence of such cases. And help track problematic players who don't respect the rules.

I think I ve seen sites that ask you to fill in a phone number and send a verification code there. Can actually be even more robust than pure email checks I suppose
Last update I received is that they’re working on a solution for an better form of security in regards to sign ups
The Sheriff of Gemp

Return to “General Discussion”