GEMP Username: fungineer

Re: Obviously

Post by fungineer »

Batmouse wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 7:20 pm
alphabeta wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 7:14 pm
Ref alts.

Any way that creating a GEMP account requires an actual email address and its verification? That could help curb the occurence of such cases. And help track problematic players who don't respect the rules.

I think I ve seen sites that ask you to fill in a phone number and send a verification code there. Can actually be even more robust than pure email checks I suppose
Last update I received is that they’re working on a solution for an better form of security in regards to sign ups
Probably best for the features thread, but this has always been something I'm surprised by. I think the main reason was to avoid privacy issues of information and such (even more so now with the EU laws) but having an email required at sign-up seems like a good option.

* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Adding email authentication is basically one of our top priorities, but unfortunately it's not easy. But we're working on it.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Paul McPherson
LS Region: Naboo
LS Region: Naboo
GEMP Username: PMcPherson

Post by Paul McPherson »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 6:37 am
Adding email authentication is basically one of our top priorities, but unfortunately it's not easy. But we're working on it.
Not wishing to discourage the team from this but what would it achieve? I personally have 7 different e-mail accounts and could sign up for tens more should I want to. Phone verification could work (I also have 2 phones) but I personally do not have a problem with alts.
Image Image

World Championship 26th Place - 2019
European Championship 4th Place - 2013
Naboo Regional Winner - 2015, 2018 & 2019
Ralltiir Regional Runner-up - 2019
English National Winner - 2014
Welsh National Winner - 2017 & 2018
German National Runner-up - 2018

Join the Star Wars CCG UK Facebook Page

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

Paul McPherson wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 8:26 am
quickdraw3457 wrote:
Not wishing to discourage the team from this but what would it achieve? I personally have 7 different e-mail accounts and could sign up for tens more should I want to. Phone verification could work (I also have 2 phones) but I personally do not have a problem with alts.
Yeah phone verification would be better.
Alts is one thing, I m rather thinking about managing repeating offenders

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

This thread has convinced me that alts are less than a problem than I thought originally.

In any GEMP event with buy-ins or tangible stakes, alts are not an issue because there’s a registration process so each player has 1 entry and he’s identifiable.

The closest thing we had to a hybrid of this was the Boonta Eve Jawa Brawl, where 3 alts finished in the Top 8... and received nothing - recognition nor PC prize support... because they didn’t come forward. There was a cost here that those who finished 9-11 didn’t get a Top 8 prize, which proved that any event going forward with any stakes should have a registration process.

For leagues that the cost is GEMP gold and the payout is GEMP foils/packs... I feel like putting multiple alts in the top places is rare (do the sealed leagues often have a bunch of suspect alts finish high?). And if so, for a non-sealed league, this can be handled by changing the length of the league and/or max games.

If players register 10 alts in a sealed league, having them cost 5 G is a slight barrier of entry, but also, what if a different alt keeps getting the best draw? That person’s GEMP prizes are spread out and it’s not like there’s any public recognition then. Therefore, are there numerous people out there that try to game the sealed leagues with the only “reward” being private, self-satisfaction? I’m skeptical of that.

I hate playing on an alt because I can’t transfer the spoils to my main account, and I really like shiny’ing up my decks, as some know. The private games feature will probably eliminate my usage of them, though.
Follow the PC on Twitter @swccg
Subscribe to the PC on YouTube.com/c/StarWarsCCG
Follow me on twitch.tv/JNap31

ImageImage
Spoiler
Show
Majors Performance-All players since Sep'14: tinyurl.com/SWCCGmajorResults
PC Foil+AI Slip Checklist: tinyurl.com/PCslipsChecklist

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Paul McPherson wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 8:26 am
quickdraw3457 wrote:
Password resets are another benefit to email authentication, but if phone verification is something doable (we probably have even less experience in that field) that would accomplish this too. If anyone reading this has experience implementing any kind of 2 factor authentication, feel free to reach out to me.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

For what it's worth, I really like that GEMP doesn't require e-mail or anything. I know that there are reasons it would make sense to have it, but it makes me feel like I'm Libertarian or something to not have to register an e-mail with Batmouse.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

Corran wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:55 pm
For what it's worth, I really like that GEMP doesn't require e-mail or anything. I know that there are reasons it would make sense to have it, but it makes me feel like I'm Libertarian or something to not have to register an e-mail with Batmouse.
it brings back memories of decktech buzzboards lol
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

TechTerror
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: TechTerror

Post by TechTerror »

If it was just playing all of your ten games and wanting to play more and using your alt, I don't like that but could understand that.

My item for this thread
Obviously don't..
Utilize your alt to play yourself in a league to boost the account which did get the better draw with 6 more points (2 free wins). Play real games with real other players. And this is the reason why alts in the same league should be banned and against code of conduct.

And 3 of the top 8 in Boonta Eve Jawa not coming forward because they are alts is really discouraging. That was a more "official" event than the normal leagues (series 2, sealed, etc). Sad to hear that
Paul Coggins
GEMP username: TechTerror

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

TechTerror wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 11:11 pm
And 3 of the top 8 in Boonta Eve Jawa not coming forward because they are alts is really discouraging. That was a more "official" event than the normal leagues (series 2, sealed, etc). Sad to hear that
I don't even understand why alts would play in a jawa event.

Don't want to give away your hot jawa tech???

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

Maybe restructure the recurring leagues so that during each period you can play an unlimited number of games, but still just one per player, per side. Instead of awarding 1st, 2nd, etc. with top prizes, have a point threshold. The point of leagues isn't supposed to be who wins the most games, it's supposed to be about rewarding participation. Limiting participation is bad.

Alts are also bad. It's a small thing, but this is a community and nobody should should be wondering if the person they are playing isn't actually someone else.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

Maybe we should be more worried about the bullies in live events.....

Dark Deal Abuse
GEMP Username: DarkDeal44

Post by Dark Deal Abuse »

Steviegets112 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Maybe we should be more worried about the bullies in live events.....

????
I ONLY play PREMIERE- REFLECTIONS II (no v-cards, no shields and most importantly no Episode 1)...would love to talk to others that play this format! :popcrn:

Actively trying to build an old school SWCCG player base in Michigan. PM me if interested!

My Prem-Ref2 Cube is Complete!

flood
Starter
Starter

Post by flood »

Jnapolit31 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 9:07 am
This thread has convinced me that alts are less than a problem than I thought originally.

In any GEMP event with buy-ins or tangible stakes, alts are not an issue because there’s a registration process so each player has 1 entry and he’s identifiable.

The closest thing we had to a hybrid of this was the Boonta Eve Jawa Brawl, where 3 alts finished in the Top 8... and received nothing - recognition nor PC prize support... because they didn’t come forward. There was a cost here that those who finished 9-11 didn’t get a Top 8 prize, which proved that any event going forward with any stakes should have a registration process.

For leagues that the cost is GEMP gold and the payout is GEMP foils/packs... I feel like putting multiple alts in the top places is rare (do the sealed leagues often have a bunch of suspect alts finish high?). And if so, for a non-sealed league, this can be handled by changing the length of the league and/or max games.

If players register 10 alts in a sealed league, having them cost 5 G is a slight barrier of entry, but also, what if a different alt keeps getting the best draw? That person’s GEMP prizes are spread out and it’s not like there’s any public recognition then. Therefore, are there numerous people out there that try to game the sealed leagues with the only “reward” being private, self-satisfaction? I’m skeptical of that.

I hate playing on an alt because I can’t transfer the spoils to my main account, and I really like shiny’ing up my decks, as some know. The private games feature will probably eliminate my usage of them, though.
It's not really about the prizes, it's about playing an enjoyable format. Constantly playing Talz vs Darth vader & stick shouldn't be what sealed leagues are. Best way I can describe it for those that don't play sealed is imagine you signed up for a p-dsii game and your opponent is playing open. The analogy is limited but gets the point across.

flood
Starter
Starter

Post by flood »

It might be time to remind players of this since there are 50+ accounts that have done nothing but opened packs this round of PAHN and every account playing looks like the 1996 world champ decks.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

flood wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 11:28 pm
It might be time to remind players of this since there are 50+ accounts that have done nothing but opened packs this round of PAHN and every account playing looks like the 1996 world champ decks.
A lot of people that had no intention of playing in the leagues got added this time around. I opened my packs but have no intention of playing.

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

Yeah
Yesterday when logging in I saw I had received new boosters etc although I had never asked for it 😁

I mean, if I could get free boosters out of the blue IRL I wouldnt ignore them either 😂

flood
Starter
Starter

Post by flood »

Jedicon
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: jokerking

Post by Jedicon »

flood wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 11:21 pm
batmouse wrote: ping

Batmouse
LS Region: Alderaan
LS Region: Alderaan
GEMP Username: batmouse

Post by Batmouse »

Jedicon wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 12:31 am
flood wrote:
January 30th, 2021, 11:21 pm
batmouse wrote: ping
already looking into it
Proud owner of the alderaan regional trophy of 2009!
Proud WINNER of the Alderaan regional trophy 2017!
The Sheriff of Gemp
quesosauce37 wrote: all hail batmouse the vigilante!
imrahil327 wrote:Awww, it's Batmouse's and my first agreement on a sports topic. Image

Return to “General Discussion”