Private Games on GEMP

SWCCG game play discussion.
stubbly
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Private Games on GEMP

Post by stubbly »

Is there any chance we could add private games back to GEMP? This seemed to be a very popular feature across the board and it'd be great to have them for the upcoming OCS top 4/Worlds. Thanks!

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Re: Private Games on GEMP

Post by quickdraw3457 »

It will be turned back on about 3 weeks prior to worlds, so yes! We know it was popular but don't want all games on gemp to be closed off. Watching others play games is a great asset and we don't want to make games private 24/7/365.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
multimedia@starwarsccg.org
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: echobstrpr

Post by Echo Base Trooper »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:34 pm
It will be turned back on about 3 weeks prior to worlds, so yes! We know it was popular but don't want all games on gemp to be closed off. Watching others play games is a great asset and we don't want to make games private 24/7/365.
When private games were enabled previously people didn't stop playing viewable games. I think having them on all the time would be good.
Adam Fletcher
Lead Proofer, GEMP Slicer
Image Image

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Echo Base Trooper wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:40 pm
quickdraw3457 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:34 pm
When private games were enabled previously people didn't stop playing viewable games. I think having them on all the time would be good.
I personally have concerns over what it would evolve into, even if it starts off good. We're open to change, and the period leading up to worlds will tell us a lot about how we view it and what it has in store.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

Therion
DS Region: Bespin
DS Region: Bespin

Post by Therion »

I'm often in a position where I can't actually play at a given moment, and spectating games is probably my biggest interaction with SWCCG. I'd be pretty miserable if private games were to become the norm.

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

Therion wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:51 pm
I'm often in a position where I can't actually play at a given moment, and spectating games is probably my biggest interaction with SWCCG. I'd be pretty miserable if private games were to become the norm.
x2

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

We have actual data that says people don't stop playing public games so you have nothing to worry about.
Adam Fletcher
Image Image

Echo Base Trooper
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Also, private games seem even more important for the current OCS playoffs than for worlds. When you know the single person you're going to play against there is a huge benefit to watching the games they play to prepare.
Adam Fletcher
Image Image

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Yeah I'd say 3 weeks before anything that gives away money is fair. I'd just turn them on now, tbh, especially with Drew's event and some other things coming down the pipeline for November to keep people interested and playing publicly.
Bill Kafer
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.
Corran wrote:Honestly, Tacobill should just be the boss of SWCCG.

rsersen
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: rsersen

Post by rsersen »

Also, private games seem even more important for the current OCS playoffs than for worlds. When you know the single person you're going to play against there is a huge benefit to watching the games they play to prepare.
x2. These next 3 OCS matches are worth anywhere between $200-$600, that's a decent chunk of change for SWCCG. It'd be nice to have a more reliable way to prepare for those games besides hoping someone doesn't figure out your alt (and hoping your game doesn't freeze...)

Also agree the concern is probably overblown. For the week or so we did beta testing, it seemed like people only used them if they had a reason to. Like our team doing OCS prep, or TMW finalists brewing up TRM Guts...but it's not like a bunch of people suddenly went private just because the option was there.
PC Foils/AI/Chips Haves & Wants - let's make a deal
stubbly wrote:Echo Base Trooper is the Siri of SWCCG
Image Image

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

yah just turn them on and see what happens, it's kinda dead now as is... I think private rooms lead more to this too:

1. playtest a new idea in a private room
2. try it out in public to see if it actually works in an open league...

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

Lots of the deadness is likely due to waiting for Set 13 to drop, I imagine.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

allstarz97 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 2:20 pm
yah just turn them on and see what happens, it's kinda dead now as is... I think private rooms lead more to this too:

Agreed.

We had private games on Holotable.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

stubbly
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by stubbly »

rsersen wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 2:08 pm
It'd be nice to have a more reliable way to prepare for those games besides hoping someone doesn't figure out your alt (and hoping your game doesn't freeze...)
Neither I nor Snokeydoke have any idea what you're talking about

aermet69
LS Region: Toola
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

allstarz97 wrote:

Agreed. If you try something out in public now, then those you play with might think it looks cool and play it (or their version of it) so even if you aren't watched playing it, your tech can ripple out fast.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

aermet69 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 2:39 pm
allstarz97 wrote:

Agreed. If you try something out in public now, then those you play with might think it looks cool and play it (or their version of it) so even if you aren't watched playing it, your tech can ripple out fast.
This seems like a feature not a bug...
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

Blarg
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Blarg »

Why don’t we let anyone playing in an elimination tournament be part of a no-observer league with say three of their friends? So stubbly could choose three people any play private games with them.
Corran wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:13 pm
aermet69 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 2:39 pm
allstarz97 wrote:

This seems like a feature not a bug...
It’s a bug. Think of it like patents. We should reward whoever comes up with something with some amount of time of “exclusive use” — I.e., being able to use it at the next big event. That gives people an incentive to come up with new ideas. One the other hand, once the person who created the idea has gotten some use out of it, we should make it as easy as possible for other people to adopt it (I.e., decklists from big events etc.)

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

Blarg wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 4:13 pm
Why don’t we let anyone playing in an elimination tournament be part of a no-observer league with say three of their friends? So stubbly could choose three people any play private games with them.
This amounts to the exact same thing that private tables do, but comes with the standard built in league limitations (primarily, that you can only play each other person in the league once per side).
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

aermet69
GEMP Username: aermet69

Post by aermet69 »

Blarg wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 4:13 pm
It’s a bug. Think of it like patents. We should reward whoever comes up with something with some amount of time of “exclusive use” — I.e., being able to use it at the next big event. That gives people an incentive to come up with new ideas. One the other hand, once the person who created the idea has gotten some use out of it, we should make it as easy as possible for other people to adopt it (I.e., decklists from big events etc.)
Agreed. It's not like I'd not ever play open again, since I'd only do private games with a handful few that I usually test or discuss with, or if someone wants me to be their test buddy. The rest would be open.
- Casper Jørgensen
aermet69 - Member of Team Copenhagen
"Team Copenhagen never dies. They just go to the bar and respawn."
~UK National Champion 2011. ~Worlds 2012, 10th place. ~German Nationals 2014, Runner-up. ~European Champion 2014. ~Toola Regionals 2015, Runner-Up.

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Karrdeshark wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 2:36 pm
Lots of the deadness is likely due to waiting for Set 13 to drop, I imagine.
It's not even really that dead. The number of games played are about the same.

Return to “General Discussion”