Morally grey characters

SWCCG game play discussion.
SmallDarkLines
GEMP Username: Tardis

Morally grey characters

Post by SmallDarkLines »

With the increasing number of morally ambiguous characters in the SW canon (DJ, Beckett, Qi'Ra, some of those introduced in the Mandalorian), perhaps it's time for a new icon or keyword to represent this factor.
LOTR had the Gollum mechanic, with him being a zero cost character who could be in your starting party, offset by various cards themed around how untrustworthy he was, giving bonuses to the opponent if he happened to be in play.
I'd like to see something like this in SWCCG, thematically showing that these characters are unreliable (while still being attractive enough to use in a deck), and could betray you if they have the right motivation. Maybe an interrupt that adds their power to the opponent instead of the owner, messes with destiny if they're present, or retargets/steals an ability.

Thoughts?

New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

hyvee_doughboy

Re: Morally grey characters

Post by hyvee_doughboy »

I agree that would be cool to represent somehow. Some other interesting ideas:
- A new maintenance cost which has the character switch allegiance to the opponent if you can't pay
- A cost for the opponent to take control of the character during their deploy phase (potentially switching sides every turn)
- Prevent them from interacting with other cards of 'fixed' allegiance. For example, can't battle with Imperials/Rebels/Republic/FO, but can battle with other aliens

I think there are a ton of possibilities out there. I love thematic stuff like that and think representing them in a new way would be fun!
Tom M. - Maple Grove, Minnesota

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Trooper Jerrol Blendin has a "bribe" mechanic which is cool. But also makes him less playable... I think Decipher's attempt to have Rebels, Imperials, and Aliens in Premiere was their solution to characters with an ambivalent allegiance
Gosse Z. - Seattle

AdmiralMotti89
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by AdmiralMotti89 »

gossuii wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 1:43 pm
Trooper Jerrol Blendin has a "bribe" mechanic which is cool. But also makes him less playable... I think Decipher's attempt to have Rebels, Imperials, and Aliens in Premiere was their solution to characters with an ambivalent allegiance
Back when Solo came out I stated that I thought that something like this would be useful for Beckett, but like you say, it makes playability an issue.
Eric Garchow
My eBay Store 10% off orders of 10+ items, plus free shipping on orders of $50+
My videos/photos of opening sealed SWCCG + other SWCCG things.
My Frequently Updating SWCCG Wants List

DJJackson
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by DJJackson »

I love the idea of this. The cloud city Lando game text could be modified to make it more playable as well, something like can be replace by X sides Y, when replaced place in your used pile. When drawn as a destiny, if X side controls Y, destiny = 0. or When Y changes sides, you lose 1 force, although this might be too much of a drawback unless the card has a major upside.

I really like the maintenance fee change sides mechanic, feels like a good fit for a lot of the characters that are motivated by credits.

But totally agree with you, would love to see a thematic set around mechanics like this.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

yeah i mean the issue that i don't really see you getting around is that the character would have to be REALLY good for you to bother including it when there's a risk it becomes a real liability.
-Keith Brown

Berm
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Berm »

there's a little of that with Qui-Gon Jinn (tatooine, opponent's aliens are power -1).

Maybe that could be explored more on an effect..."when all your characters at a site are rebel (imperial), may pay X force to reduce opponent's power by Y".

Corran
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: corran

Post by Corran »

I like the idea of characters who show up for a minute and then go away. A maintenance mechanic that caused characters to exclude themselves from battle if the maintenance isn't paid might be cool. Even without that, though, I think SWCCG has a ton of factions already though and interrupts could represent that flavor pretty easily.
Check out Bad Deck Breakdowns, a Star Wars CCG Deckbuilding podcast, on the podcatcher of your choice or https://www.kendallcast.ninja
dvphimself wrote: https://www.twitch.tv/kendallcastnetwork/ is my favourite SWCCG channel.
ashnolo wrote: I'm using OCS to prepare for Kendall in Corellia League play

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

Anytime a mechanic like this has been introduced in the game on character cards it really hasn't worked.

DJJackson
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by DJJackson »

seitaer wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 3:20 pm
Anytime a mechanic like this has been introduced in the game on character cards it really hasn't worked.
Doesn't mean that it can't though, just haven't found the right way to do it.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Thought this was going to be about some SWCCG players...
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

we were discussing this in Slack chat....like while some people want cards from the mando show......whos LS and whos DS from that show? making the 'grey' characters more often LS leads to imbalance issues, plus like mando has to be LS and also a bounty hunter....this game just isnt setup for the Mando show, IMO
Jerry H

Image Image

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

DJJackson wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:11 pm
seitaer wrote:
Because no one will play a character that could possible turn against you.

chrknudsen
GEMP Username: chrknudsen

Post by chrknudsen »

The 'pest' character type/icon that Munchanka had in the custom set he shared recently seems like it could fit the bill. A character you deploy on opponent's side of table for them to use, but with some game text that you can abuse. I believe one of the rules for them is that you have to forfeit them last.

SmallDarkLines
GEMP Username: Tardis

Post by SmallDarkLines »

seitaer wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 7:54 pm
DJJackson wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 6:11 pm
seitaer wrote:
Because no one will play a character that could possible turn against you.
They would if the game text was good enough...
New or returning player? Click here for the information you need to know.

Beat me mercilessly on GEMP: Tardis
Say hello at an event:Darren

sdpsc

Post by sdpsc »

May need some objective that requires only such morally grey characters, or grants boosts for them, to make it viable. I think it would be a neat mechanic though. Maybe each side gets a "morally-grey-character-only" objective, could be a neat head-to-head setup.
Joel

alphabeta
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
GEMP Username: alphabeta; GalenErso

Post by alphabeta »

Or this type of character would be played like interrupts that last until end of turn, with very low or nill forfeit value.

This way, the character can be played by any player - just u cant play it the turn the other player has paid to have it on the table.

DJJackson
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by DJJackson »

chrknudsen2 wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 12:53 am
The 'pest' character type/icon that Munchanka had in the custom set he shared recently seems like it could fit the bill. A character you deploy on opponent's side of table for them to use, but with some game text that you can abuse. I believe one of the rules for them is that you have to forfeit them last.
There are a fair number of cards in Magic the gathering that have drawbacks and have abilities they enable you to pass them to your opponents, it's a fun mechanic not really competitive but fun, and still you control the ability when it happens and when you play the card it usually works to your benefit

Therion
DS Region: Bespin
DS Region: Bespin

Post by Therion »

quesosauce37 wrote:
December 11th, 2020, 7:20 pm
we were discussing this in Slack chat....like while some people want cards from the mando show......whos LS and whos DS from that show? making the 'grey' characters more often LS leads to imbalance issues, plus like mando has to be LS and also a bounty hunter....this game just isnt setup for the Mando show, IMO
LS cards that would interact with their own bounty hunters:

Corellian Retort - add a bd with Han
Dismantle on Sight - make IG-88 lost at end of DS turn
I Don't Need Their Scum, Either - add a bd with Lando
Nar Shadda - starship piloted here is power +1
Temmin "Snap" Wexley - bh deploys +1
and last but certainly not least:
We Don't Need Their Scum - subtract TWO destiny from power and attrition with another bounty hunter or imperial

A lot more impactful than Finn, especially with that last one.

beebopbananas
GEMP Username: Beebop

Post by beebopbananas »

Ez make a third side, call it......the Grey Side. :lol:

I am reminded of the interview between Corran and Jerry Darcy, when Jerry shares that he wishes he designed creatures differently. Creatures would function more like an interrupt or a epic event. Perhaps morally grey characters could be represented in the same way. Creatures and Grey characters could become 'Event' or 'Epic Event" cards that have effects on the game that either side can use. Nothing game breaking, a temporary buff or defuff, a monstrous attack from a Karyt Dragon, a heroic rescue from Mando... or a disintegration :twisted: Maybe these cards also trigger things like a classic space shootout, like in Solo between two character types.

The way to integrate them into the game could be similar to how defensive shields work. What if at the beginning of the game you started an effect that allowed you to stack a specified number of "Event" cards that can be played for a limited amount of times. Some of these cards could be played at anytime during game or require a specific game condition. While others could deploy to locations to aid your characters or deploy on a character on either side for a certain affect.
A-Always
B-Be
C-Cooking

Return to “General Discussion”