A Position Paper Proposing How to Announce Future Tournaments

SWCCG game play discussion.
PaulMyers
Starter
Starter

A Position Paper Proposing How to Announce Future Tournaments

Post by PaulMyers »

*Update on this post- I don't want this post to be misinterpreted as a criticism. It's a proposal/suggestion of a way to increase participation in events. I'm very appreciative that I'm able to enjoy SWCCG on GEMP any time for free...this alone is unfathomably amazing. Secondly, I appreciate the many organizers of events, and am thankful for their continued support of the game. It takes a lot to run events, more than I'll ever know. I'm extremely grateful for this.

Who should read this? Tournament directors such as Chris Gogolen, imrahil, Tamas Papp, Anthony Howard, Rhendon, CoffeePass, etc.

My Intent Behind This Post: To propose an supplementary way to announce events (text & e-mail) to increase tournament participation, which some may argue as the single largest metric for the growth of SWCCG.

Current State: As far as I know and in my experience over the last 2 years, when a tournament registration is opened, generally speaking, that tournament is announced in the "GEMP game hall" and somewhere on the forums. Additionally, Dan & Jerry will mention tournaments on Holotheatre.

Result of our Current State: Only players who are regularly checking the GEMP game hall, forums, and actively watching Holotheatre, will be made aware of new tournaments.

The Problem:
1. Forums- the forums are a massive library w/ many crevasses, nooks, crannies, hallways, and entire branches. In my opinion, 99% of info on the forums (selfishly speaking) has nothing to do w/ me or no interest to me. I try and spend literally as little time on the fourms as possible.
2. Gemp Game Hall- I only read the Gemp game hall if I want to talk trash (especially w/ Happyman), or call out a player to join my game.
3. Holotheatre- it takes an hour. A Full hour. Is the content smoking hot? Yes. But still...does everyone in our community listen to every episode in its entirety? Unlikely.

True Case Studies That Actually Happened:
1. I have a friend named Gavin Ortlund (gavino1983). He's married. He has 4 kids. He has a job. He just got on Slack b/c I told him he could sell a few cards there. He gets on the forums once a year. He plays on GEMP regularly. He's never seen Holotheatre nor will he ever (Sorry Dan). He would've missed registration for worlds, yes, worlds, if I had not e-mailed him the link. True story.
2. I missed 2020 registration for the 64 man gempc because I didn't log onto the forums and see the link.
3. I found out about the a coffeepass money tournament 2 weeks after it occurred on Holotheatre.
4. I was registrant #64/64 for the 2021 gempc tournament because my friend, Timo Dusel (Dillen), sent me a Marco Polo asking me why I hadn't registered at 4:21 AM EST. I woke up. Realized there was an event occurring that I had never heard of. I clicked on his link and PM'ed Batmouse ASAP and slipped in as the final registrant.

My Profession: I'm a Real estate investor. I buy homes for a living. It's a needle in a haystack business. When I'm trying to buy a home from somone, I skip trace their home address to get their cell, I text them, I call them, I leave a voicemail, I send them an e-mail, I mail them a postcard and then I mail them a letter. Typically, through one of these channels, I'll get a response...but I try them all (I call this omnipresence &/or multi-channel communcation).

When I'm then selling a home, I have a "cash buyer" list. It's in a CRM, but I've also had it in google drive. I enter people's name and e-mail. I can click a button and send a blast mass e-mail to a group (Blind Carbon Copy only so no one can reply all or see each other's e-mails / recipients) w/ the details of the home for sale.

Proposal/Thesis: For all events (OCS, TMW, Worlds, etc.), a Google Contacts Group be kept by someone "at the top" (Imrahil, etc.). This CRM has 100-300+ people's names and e-mails. People can register for this if desired. Either way, when registration for a new event is opened, a group e-mail is sent notifying all current or interested players (this would be free). If we want to be next level, we can sent mass texts to cell #'s. The mass texting platforms I use (Call Rail, Batchleads.io, etc.) only charge $0.015 to $0.03 per text. Then, hopefully, active players can register to be notified (via email and text) (just like "BandsinTown.com") when an event is open for registration.
Last edited by PaulMyers on January 7th, 2021, 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Re: A Position Paper Proposing How to Announce Future Tournaments

Post by Solidsnack3 »

Hey Paul,

Certainly a lot of food for thought, I do want to note that twitter has been pretty good at advertising the tournaments as of late. Both worlds and the GEMP PC was announced there. Instagram also had a post for worlds registration. I think those posts would agree with the general point that we are trying to communicate as best we can to get contestants.

Just wanted to point those out as they personally helped me and are avenues we can use to spread the word that do not require us to sift through an hour long video to get info.
-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

Since my name was there, I'll respond. Hopefully this comes across as constructive and not an attack. If not, please read it as constructive and not an attack. English isn't my first language. Baby gibberish was.

1. Since all event registration takes place on the PC site or the forums, I don't think it is too much to ask that people register here and check this for that info.

1a. This info could be better displayed for sure. But a lot of these events aren't really regular events with same time frame year to year. They are literally a person such as me or Batmouse that are like * it. I want to run an event. So we come here and make a post and see what happens. TMW was very much a spur of the moment decision I made. I did reach out to advocates and did do discussions with Matt on it. But most of the help from the PC came after the announcement. I gave them a heads up to make sure I wasn't conflicting with something they had planned. This makes it difficult to get them put into every spot to make sure they are advertised.

1b. 2020 was like the year for not having a schedule to do. It makes it super hard for the PC to have events lined up months in advance so people would have a lot more warning to signup.

2. I personally would hate to get a spam email or text from the PC about an event announcement. I check the forums regularly. I read topics and respond when I think I can add something. I see announcements because I can do a quick scan of the forums first before I find time to read them later. I think this would be time consuming for the PC to manage an event announcement email group in addition to all the other aspects of event setup.

2a. I find people to ignore that spam, just as much as they ignore the message of the day announcement in GEMP now. We could make a pop up for MotD and it would still be ignored just as much.

I do think we can do a better job with event announcements but I don't think mass email/text is necessary. If mass email/text is done, an opt out would be required. I think at some point, the onus is on the person who wants to play to be active enough to find the events too. People need to take some sort of personal responsibility rather than always having their hand held. That aspect will do wonders for making sure people follow event rules and are in general respectful to their opponents.

Again, not trying to attack but just adding my thoughts and trying to be constructive with them.
Hunter wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 5:19 am
I agree with rhendon that Joe is Scum.

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

Worlds, along with every other major, had been advertised on the forums for months (as the most prominent subforums, too). The GEMPC is advertised as the top item on the PC website, and has been promoted on twitter, in the forums, GEMP lobby, Slack, and Holotheatre. Maybe just check in on these sources now and then?

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

An opt-in email list would be fine. Idk that it's needed, but it also wouldn't cause harm, though it would be a bit of extra work for those already doing lots of work (running events, or doing streaming shows, or posting on social media, or whatever).
PaulMyers wrote:I'm a Real estate investor. I buy homes for a living. It's a needle in a haystack business.
Maybe thinking of these tournaments as needles, and the forum/twitter/slack as haystacks could improve your event lead generation?

DJJackson
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by DJJackson »

I would sign up for an email mailing list. I don't use social media and worst case scenario its just another email to delete. Anything that could help increase numbers should be beneficial right?

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

DJJackson wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 12:54 pm
Anything that could help increase numbers should be beneficial right?
Yes, except for tradeoffs.
arebelspy wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm
it would be a bit of extra work for those already doing lots of work (running events, or doing streaming shows, or posting on social media, or whatever)
Certainly someone could volunteer to maintain such a thing and email it whenever an event is starting. Mailchimp is easy and free.

dillen
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
GEMP Username: dillen

Post by dillen »

I actually like the idea of an email list where you could sign up for some kind of a newsletter with important announcments and all tournaments coming up (not all players are super involved in the social media stuff and want to play the actual game the time they can spent for swccg). This could be really nice giving past tournament winners a shoutout etc. ("Joe Olsen is the winner of the 2020 worlds playing hitco and hdv in the finals defeating Quirin Fürgut"). When I saw coffeapass tournament hidden somewhere in a thread I asked myself if enough people will find that. I also understand that it is probably too time consuming and I appreciate all the work thats allready done from all the volunteers.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

I mean, I don't twitter/instagram at all and only log into facebook every few weeks to spend 5 minutes there, but even to me a newsletter sounds so 1990s! :lol:

Then again, forums are the same.

Not saying it's a bad idea, just saying... okay boomer.

:-D

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

arebelspy wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Certainly someone could volunteer to maintain such a thing and email it whenever an event is starting. Mailchimp is easy and free.
Plus for the pop up events like TMW, Drew's event, Road to Worlds or GEMP MPC, this might end up being late sent out. These events weren't created by the PC but by players and then the PC came in and gave support/help where they could. Online events are far easier to be more spontaneous than IRL ones and at some level, we need to be prepared some people may fall through the cracks on these. Hell even the Jawa Cup was a player idea that was implemented and developed from there. Its crazy to see how much of what SWCCG is and become today is players taking an idea and running with it.

Point of that rambling was even email lists may be missed. Best place will always be on the forums to find information.
Hunter wrote:

seitaer
GEMP Username: seitaer

Post by seitaer »

I think announcements all all relevant platforms are enough. Forums, Gemp MOTD, Facebook, twitter, reddit etc. Is plenty.

Like I don't want emails for events I'm not having any chance of attending in my email.

Jedicon
Booster Box
Booster Box
GEMP Username: jokerking

Post by Jedicon »

seitaer wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 2:54 am
I think announcements all all relevant platforms are enough. Forums, Gemp MOTD, Facebook, twitter, reddit etc. Is plenty.

Like I don't want emails for events I'm not having any chance of attending in my email.
Agreed. The GEMPC has been pretty well publicized.

Sagnet

Post by Sagnet »

seitaer wrote:
These are all pull based announcements. That is, you have to actively search for the information. I can understand the need for push based announcements for some key event, like new V-sets being published, or tournament information. Primary push channels would be email and text messages. And yes, newsletters on email and email subscription is still a thing in 2021.

You could possibly set up push notifications for Facebook, twitter etc on your mobile device. But I'm not sure if it is possible to do that in a way that only notifies you of said announcements, and not everything else.
seitaer wrote:
You don't have to subscribe to email announcements if you don't want to. It would be entirely optional.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

I am working on this. Please hold.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

Subscribe here.

http://eepurl.com/hnzGkb
The goal of this email list is to provide email notifications of important SWCCG events, with a minimal amount of spam.

Thus you will receive a single email from notifications@starwarsccg.org upon the announcement of a major tournament or a virtual set release.

rhendon

Post by rhendon »

But how do we announce to those that don't come to forums, GEMP, twitter, facebook, slack, discord, etc to sign up for an email list on the forums? :-D
Hunter wrote:

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

rhendon wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 5:46 pm
But how do we announce to those that don't come to forums, GEMP, twitter, facebook, slack, discord, etc to sign up for an email list on the forums? :-D
Door knocking.

DJJackson
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by DJJackson »

arebelspy wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 1:44 pm
Subscribe here.

http://eepurl.com/hnzGkb
The goal of this email list is to provide email notifications of important SWCCG events, with a minimal amount of spam.

Thus you will receive a single email from notifications@starwarsccg.org upon the announcement of a major tournament or a virtual set release.
Appreciate you doing this. I signed up.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

arebelspy wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 6:19 pm
rhendon wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 5:46 pm
Door knocking.
Hello, do you have a minute to talk about our leader and champion Scott Lingrell?
Bill Kafer
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.
Corran wrote:Honestly, Tacobill should just be the boss of SWCCG.

Solidsnack3
GEMP Username: Solidsnck

Post by Solidsnack3 »

haha, I can see it now..

Joe, grats on winning player of the year and worlds. In an effort to spread the word about SWCCG, we are sending you as our celebrity across the US in a door to door salesman role. With your natural charm and SWCCG pedigree, we will get many more people to come back to the game!

I'd at least ask for your autograph on one of those REF IV slips if I saw you! :D Thanks for setting this up, I'll likely sign up soon.
arebelspy wrote:
January 8th, 2021, 6:19 pm
Door knocking.
-Solidsnack3
Gemp: Solidsnck

"Yeah. I'm responsible these days. It's the price you pay for being successful."

Return to “General Discussion”