Team Stephenville Daily (World Playtesting)

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Team Stephenville Daily (World Playtesting)

Post by Asphalizo »

Starting today Player Committee Forum members will be able to hear daily about the Team Stephenville playtesting session. Due to competitive nature of Worlds some aspects will be kept secret. However, this will still give people an extraordinary look in the playtesting routine of Team Stephenville.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

What is this "playtesting" you speak of? I have no knowledge of such a thing existing.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

After a 2 week hiatus from playing SWCCG, I took up the reins again last Monday. Needless to say Bob was quite eager to begin work and find out what decks would be best for worlds. Monday was basically a warm-up, especially for me. Bob spent the night beating the stuffing out of me with his dark side. I had put together 2 light side decks to try out against Bob and neither one performed all that well. Tuesday night saw us over at Toby's house designated The Death Star II (yes we are nerds, and yes his previous house was just called The Death Star). Toby's Worlds plans were still up in the air, but he had put some decks together for us to play-test against.

His Dark side was a Hunt Down (Darkside #3) he'd been playing but with a different take on the starting cards. Its solid and we thought it would be good to playtest against. Bob and I were considering this one light side (Lightside #1) so we wanted to see a lot of action from it. The night proved brutal for Lightside #1 as we pelted it continuously with Darkside deck. Bob's Darkside (Darkside #1) from the night before proved that it could consistently beat Lightside #1 even after many different strategic strategies were tried. Lightside #1 will have to sit on the back burner for now and only be considered for a possible Day 3 deck.

We did some more play-testing late Friday night while listening to the end of the Stephenville High School football game on the radio. It was an away game so we had a free Friday night but other plans came to fruition and so play-testing didn't get started till about 10. I had built to new lightsides (#2 and #3) and was eager to test them. At this point Darkside #1 is getting old to play against cause its quite good, so we tested Lightside #2 and #3 against Hunt Down (normal start with EC (V) and DBs). They did well but not good enough. They definitely showed promise and after I add some suggestions from Bob will needed to be tested some more.

After watching the Cowboys and more specifically Drew Bledsoe throw the game away to Philly, Bob and I got together for another session. I had gotten the decklist to Darkside #1 and put mine together. It was a type of deck that didn't exactly fit my play-style but I needed to practice with to get good. Amazingly playing with Darkside #1 is a lot more fun than playing against it. We spent the majority of the time play-testing some of Bob's lightside deck ideas. Needless to say Darkside #1 won all its games despite my poor performance with it. Darkside #2 didn't do as well and certain flaws are starting to pop up that I hadn't noticed before. Its a more narrow deck than I usually play but it still right up my ally. It went 2-1 at the San Antonio local last month but lately certain things have come to light. Luckily we still have Darkside #1. I think it fairly certain tho after last nights session that Lightside Endor Mains is not going to be up to par for worlds. Darkside is just to quick and powerful with more than enough activation to come down hard 2nd turn.

Tune in the rest of the week for more updates...

Lord Helmet
Booster Box
Booster Box

Re: Team Stephenville Daily (World Playtesting)

Post by Lord Helmet »

Asphalizo wrote:Starting today Player Committee Forum members will be able to hear daily about the Team Stephenville playtesting session. Due to competitive nature of Worlds some aspects will be kept secret. However, this will still give people an extraordinary look in the playtesting routine of Team Stephenville.
You guys are crazy. Playtesting, what for?
Bryan Batdorf
Founder of Team Stephenville, a subsidiary of Team Texas
Recent 4-4 at my first Worlds! I RULE.

CubsFan
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by CubsFan »

This thread is pretty boring if we are only going to refer to "Lightside #1" and such.

"I tested some deck, it lost to some other deck, so I guess it's not very good if a lot of people are playing that deck."

Yawn.

;)

What decks?

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

CubsFan wrote:This thread is pretty boring if we are only going to refer to "Lightside #1" and such.

"I tested some deck, it lost to some other deck, so I guess it's not very good if a lot of people are playing that deck."

Yawn.

;)

What decks?
Wouldn't you like to know!!! :wink:

Jim Jerriko
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Jim Jerriko »

They were 'scrub' decks, I am sure.

Kizakh
LS Region: Endor
LS Region: Endor

Post by Kizakh »

I'm guessing they picked up some sweet Pokemon decks from the other kids on their short bus.
Regis Michelena, Team Wyoming
These power converters are awesome!

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

i bet ls #1 is mwyhl
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

I'll be down this weekend. I can bring down a deck or two so I could ruin your confidence for worlds. Of course if you don't want me to I understand.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

mikefrench wrote:i bet ls #1 is mwyhl
Nah, that doesn't lose to HD :).

Kinslayer
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Kinslayer »

ls #1 is tigih racing since that's the only deck stephenville has ever played.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

not true. we tried to play it on dark side too, but no tournament directors would let us.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

Kinslayer wrote:ls #1 is tigih racing since that's the only deck stephenville has ever played.
If you're right, then I'm not surprised. That deck gets pwned hard by HD pulling wto (v). I tested it half a dozen times after they posted it and it lost every single game badly. Actually, it won one when I stupidly let vader get turned :).

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

Psychobabble wrote:
mikefrench wrote:i bet ls #1 is mwyhl
Nah, that doesn't lose to HD :).
it does the way they play it.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Tusday Oct. 10

We didn't do any playtesting cause Bob and Alex wanted to go see Departed instead. It was a good movie. I recommend people go see it. Its not one of those movies I think I would watch more than once tho. Anyways, I need to make some changes to Lightside #1 and build a Watto deck tonight to playtest against.

Anodos, if you could bring your BHBM and your Hypedrive deck that would be great. Don't bring the Ewok deck; its to special to be revealed right now.

Mike French you are correct. The #1 Lightside deck is MWYHL but we train Wedge Antilles and we play a whole bunch of Jawas. LOL

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

meh, before ellors maddux got bad, i had a mwyhl that trained random aliens test 1, put them as pilots in the bog clearing, took off, landed at the swamp, sunk, pulled them back with bargaining table/3p0, retested, re-sunk, retested, re-sunk, etc, while draining for 5 at kessel and 5 at coruscant. infi uncancellable retrieval. two different y-wings with two different test 1 trained aliens meant this happened every turn.

deploy a ywing to the bog clearing and an alien with test 1 (yoda's there). next turn train alien, deploy new alien with test 1 and a new ywing, take off in the old ywing. next turn new alien trains and takes off, old alien lands and sinks. etc etc etc

choongie
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by choongie »

mikefrench wrote:meh, before ellors maddux got bad, i had a mwyhl that trained random aliens test 1, put them as pilots in the bog clearing, took off, landed at the swamp, sunk, pulled them back with bargaining table/3p0, retested, re-sunk, retested, re-sunk, etc, while draining for 5 at kessel and 5 at coruscant. infi uncancellable retrieval. two different y-wings with two different test 1 trained aliens meant this happened every turn.

deploy a ywing to the bog clearing and an alien with test 1 (yoda's there). next turn train alien, deploy new alien with test 1 and a new ywing, take off in the old ywing. next turn new alien trains and takes off, old alien lands and sinks. etc etc etc
Nice! :) What did you do for damage? EPP strikes?

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

mikefrench wrote:meh, before ellors maddux got bad, i had a mwyhl that trained random aliens test 1, put them as pilots in the bog clearing, took off, landed at the swamp, sunk, pulled them back with bargaining table/3p0, retested, re-sunk, retested, re-sunk, etc, while draining for 5 at kessel and 5 at coruscant. infi uncancellable retrieval. two different y-wings with two different test 1 trained aliens meant this happened every turn.

According to this thread, only the starship goes back into the deck after sinking; the pilot and jedi test are lost. So it costs you two cards to retrieve three. Also, you'd need two mentors to have two apprentice aliens on table at the same time (in order to be retrieving every turn). One mentor would mean you'd be retrieving one net force every other turn.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

well i guess its a good thing i never brought the deck to a tournament...

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”