Team Stephenville Daily (World Playtesting)

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

deadbody wrote:MWYHL is fine for tourney play if you play fast. If you are playing slow then it is a problem.

The deck still sucks though. Word B-Dizzle.
MWYHL is terrible. But if you all want to play it, then I'd be glad to take an easy win from you.

And a solid deck with good card choices is a great option for Worlds, rather than trying to go all out creating something new only to fail. At least you'll know this way that you played something you know you're capable of playing well.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Schele wrote:
deadbody wrote:MWYHL is fine for tourney play if you play fast. If you are playing slow then it is a problem.

The deck still sucks though. Word B-Dizzle.
MWYHL is terrible. But if you all want to play it, then I'd be glad to take an easy win from you.

And a solid deck with good card choices is a great option for Worlds, rather than trying to go all out creating something new only to fail. At least you'll know this way that you played something you know you're capable of playing well.
B-Dizzle, I've been testing with MWYHL and I don't think its that bad (although not great, and is not on my list of Day 2 possible decks yet) but I was more pointing out that it is possible to play the deck quickly enough that timing out is not an issue.

Playing what I built and know is the only way for me to go. Then after I beat you I can brag about it.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

CubsFan
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by CubsFan »

I wish MWYHL was a top deck, because it's storyline is a big part of the original trilogy.

Garrett, you just might want to change your avatar.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

deadbody wrote:The King, I've been testing with MWYHL and I don't think its that bad (although not great, and is not on my list of Day 2 possible decks yet) but I was more pointing out that it is possible to play the deck quickly enough that timing out is not an issue.

Playing what I built and know is the only way for me to go. Then if I beat you I can brag about it.
By "not time out", you mean it loses faster than normal? I just don't see the deck causing any damage or being able to recover from a huge hole very well. Probably because it doesn't.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

CubsFan wrote:I wish MWYHL was a top deck, because it's storyline is a big part of the original trilogy.

Garrett, you just might want to change your avatar.
I've been trying to think of a better one, I'm sticking with this one for the moment. I can't get the fat tony pics to size the way I want them to.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Schele wrote:
deadbody wrote:The King, I've been testing with MWYHL and I don't think its that bad (although not great, and is not on my list of Day 2 possible decks yet) but I was more pointing out that it is possible to play the deck quickly enough that timing out is not an issue.

Playing what I built and know is the only way for me to go. Then if I beat you I can brag about it.
By "not time out", you mean it loses faster than normal? I just don't see the deck causing any damage or being able to recover from a huge hole very well. Probably because it doesn't.
Yeah thats my same opinion too. Its just hard to find a lightside deck that can consistantly put up a good fight against every Darkside. Oh well, it could be worse.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

B-Dizzle wrote:
deadbody wrote:B-Dizzle, I've been testing with MWYHL and I don't think its that bad (although not great, and is not on my list of Day 2 possible decks yet) but I was more pointing out that it is possible to play the deck quickly enough that timing out is not an issue.

Playing what I built and know is the only way for me to go. Then when I beat you I can brag about it.
I actually agree with this assesment, that's why it's out for me as a deck choice.

Too bad to as it was a very good thematic deck.
Image Image

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Yeah, remember the good ole days when TIGIH racing beat everything, Garrett. I miss those days. *Sigh*

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

CubsFan wrote:I wish MWYHL was a top deck, because it's storyline is a big part of the original trilogy.
Yeah, I loved the part of Empire Strikes Back where, after stacking a 0 or 7 on his Jedi Test, Luke flew to Cloud City and easily won the Epic Duel vs. Vader by drawing two sevens for his duel destiny. Then, it got even better when Luke hopped on the Falcon and blew up the Executor by cracking its immunity with 14 attrition.

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

2nd most solid LS deck I have atm - local uprising, non-v. Maybe I'll post it sometime, but you peeps should try it out sometime :).
Last edited by Psychobabble on October 12th, 2006, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Caspersen

Post by Thomas Caspersen »

Walter Crunkite wrote:
Yeah, I loved the part of Empire Strikes Back where, after stacking a 0 or 7 on his Jedi Test, Luke flew to Cloud City and easily won the Epic Duel vs. Vader by drawing two sevens for his duel destiny. Then, it got even better when Luke hopped on the Falcon and blew up the Executor by cracking its immunity with 14 attrition.
Your opponent must have been pretty dumb to initiate an epic duel when you had a 7 stacked :wink:

thehooky
LS Region: Endor
LS Region: Endor

Post by thehooky »

2nd most solid LS deck I have atm - local uprising, non-v. Maybe I'll post it sometime, but you peeps should try it out sometime.
hmmm dont post it budy!! i know yours is a little dif then mine but come on! at least tell after worlds? cant let them all see busted decks!
Last edited by thehooky on October 13th, 2006, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

thehooky wrote:hmmm dont post it budy!! i know yours is a little dif then mine but come on! at least tell after worlds?
k :)

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Friday, Oct. 13

Woah, today is Friday the 13th, Creepy! Well, we didn't play-test last night. This time it was my fault. I watch Smallville at 7pm and then go to my church's Thrusday Night College Life thing. However, don't think that for a minute that Team Stephenville was at a standstill when it comes to preparing for worlds. We have an option #4 for a lightside deck now. I'm not saying its a good option yet, that hasn't been determined. It could be good and it might even open doors for other decks. I'm giving it thought and getting my digestive juices flowing. However, Blake has his own thoughts and has put together his version to play-test against me on Saturday. Should be a good session. There won't be any play-testing tonight due to High School Football. We pretty much start the football thing right after I get off work at 5. Still playing on Saturday and hopefully on Sunday should give us some good time.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

go ahead and put lightside #4 up to #1 its that good.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Anodos wrote:go ahead and put lightside #4 up to #1 its that good.
Blake, as much as I trust you, I need to see for myself first. However, I'm eager with anticipation. I hope ya'll show up to the game earlier than last time tonight. I hate saving seats.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

We are about to head out. Lin is getting out of lab early today.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Anodos wrote:We are about to head out. Lin is getting out of lab early today.
Sweet, has she created that superhuman serum yet?

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Monday, Oct. 16

Well, we had a decent weekend as far as play-testing went. Friday we almost got some play-testing in cause Stephenville won 61-0. We left the game early; however, I was pretty worn out due to a tough week. Thus, I decided to get some rest so that I could get everything done on Saturday. Saturday begin with errands and a late lunch. Blake came over to play a few games and we tested Darkside #1 against MWYHL and Lightside #2 against Ral-Ops. The MWYHL game went long, as expected, and I lost. Still I went in knowing it would be a tough match-up. Lightside #2 vs. Ral-ops was a bad match-up also and it didn't go well either. Blake and I talked briefly about his idea for #4 and after he left I took his ideas and built my own version.

Toby had called during our games and wanted to play, so I grabbed my decks including the new Lightside #4 and head over to the Death Star II. As soon as I got to the Death Star II Bob called and said he had just gotten back form his trip and he wanted to play. I told him to come over. First game I played Lightside #4 against Toby's Hunt Down. The deck didn't work out quite liked I had anticipated and was a turn too slow, but I managed to squeak out a win. Not the type of win I was hoping for tho. Bob arrived and I asked him to play his Hunt Down against it. This one didn't go as well. Again the deck set up to slow, but I wasn't able to get rid of Visage and the direct damage hurt me bad. I conceded and Toby took out his Hunt Down to test against my Lightside #1. I was patient in this game and that won it for me in the end. So I still think that Lightside #1's biggest threat is our Darkside #1. Bob needed to test his version of Lightside #1 against a deck so I pulled out the Watto I had build previously. It was a good game but Lightside #1 won out in the end due to the fact that I couldn't get past my poor destiny in the Watto deck. Well after that I made it a night.

Sunday I went over to watch the Texans vs. Cowboys game at Steve's. Cowboys won but there was a moment when it looked like the Texans might be able to pull of the win. After the game I went home to take a nap and then Bob called me to play-test some more. Blake had left some decks for use to play-test with including the MWYHL. I told Bob when needed to play-test against this heavily to determine if we could overcome it. After 3 games (Bob playing Darkside #1 twice, and me once) we discovered there is a way. Its not an auto win but it is definitely consistent. Now that we know exactly what we need to do to win it'll make it a much easier game.

Lightside #4 won't be tourney ready by time we leave for Worlds so its out of the question. Lightside #3 has failed miserably and thus won't make the trek either. Lightside #2 just hasn't proven itself enough during playtesting so its getting taken apart. So that leaves just Lightside #1 so far. However, Bob has a deck that Toby played at both Oklahoma States and Texas States that has proven to be good enough. I'm going to give it a crack the next couple of days and probably bring it to worlds. That'll give me 3 sure thing decks for Dark and 2 sure thing decks for Light as well as a maybe on Light. I could always just bring my TIGIH and maybe get favorable matchups. LOL

CubsFan
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by CubsFan »

In the spirit of TS's playtesting thread, I present the following story.

Today I woke up at [time] and got ready for work. I make my living as an [occupation], and take the [mode of transportation] to work. When I got there, I was happy to see that one of my coworkers had bought some [type of breakfast food]! I was so [emotion] because I was really hungry. Later I got a call from [business associate] who told me that [important business news]. Wow, that's huge! So I went to see [person], who's the head of [department in my company]. And he said we should try and do more [business activity]. I can see why he holds that position, he's pretty [adjective].

(my story's about as interesting to read as their playtesting reports, for just about the same reason)

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”