Team Stephenville Daily (World Playtesting)

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

Asphalizo wrote:
mikefrench wrote:force drain bonuses = canceled, and projection one of the drains usually.
There are ways to get around force drains bonuses = canceled. I can think of 3 of them off the top of my head [Despair (V), Bane Malar (V), and Rodian (V)]. The first 2 also work against projection (force drains can't be modified).
first off, you're right, mwyhl is not invincible. and i do exaggerate it's strengths sometimes.

anyway, despair v:

only playable in cct, right? generally with ig88, right? jarjar > ig88. then despair = no good. bane malar can be killed, as can rodian. and with jar jar, its not difficult to kill them. esp when your draws are -1 each. the other way to get around drain bonuses is with the walkers obj, and that = not so great either.

and if you don't leave yourself open early, generally you wont set up fast enough to kill before test 5. right? fast setup almost always means taking a risk that the other player wont be able to disrupt it, because you will have to leave yourself open for just a little bit. and if you never leave yourself open to a beat, then you're not setting up uber fast. obv generalizations, but i think it has truth to it.

anyway, just tryin to help you out. if you underestimate mwyhl and get owned at worlds because of it, its not my fault. =)

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Lord Helmet
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Lord Helmet »

The problem that MWHYL faces nowadays is that now the deck has to be packed with more damage prevention than ever before. With a certain V-card that shall remain nameless, the chief weapon that MWYHL had to stay in the game was EPPs and now that they're neutered somewhat in this deck, it also may mean that more retrieval is necessary to be able to do much more after Test 5.

So without being too defeatist, MWYHL right now is "not Scottish." There may be a couple good ways to play it, but I feel it's too tight to sway too far away from those few good ways.
Bryan Batdorf
Founder of Team Stephenville, a subsidiary of Team Texas
Recent 4-4 at my first Worlds! I RULE.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

wto,aot v:

"unless opponent controls a battleground site, opponent's weapon destiny DRAWS are -2."

jedi test 5:

"...INSTEAD OF DRAWING DESTINY..."

wto, aot v < jedi test 5 + epps
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Lord Helmet
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Lord Helmet »

mikefrench wrote:wto,aot v:

"unless opponent controls a battleground site, opponent's weapon destiny DRAWS are -2."

jedi test 5:

"...INSTEAD OF DRAWING DESTINY..."

wto, aot v < jedi test 5 + epps
Good call, but EPP's before Test 5 is what I was referring to. MWYHL has plenty good destiny to get you to Test 5 and beyond, so EPPs used to be good to keep your opponent on their toes until you stacked that 7. But with WTO, AOT (V)...getting to 5 is still fine, but reducing enough damage before you get there is even tougher.
Bryan Batdorf

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

thats fair. generally people just dont bother to play wto, aot vs me cause they know it will almost always be useless. mace or obi jk with matching saber get around it, and once test 5 happens, on turn 6, then the whole card is a waste of a force. but it can be a great counter in some games.

the biggest problem with the deck, in all honesty, is timed wins. it doesnt lose very often, but at least half the wins end up being timed.

Lord Helmet
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Lord Helmet »

mikefrench wrote:thats fair. generally people just dont bother to play wto, aot vs me cause they know it will almost always be useless. mace or obi jk with matching saber get around it, and once test 5 happens, on turn 6, then the whole card is a waste of a force. but it can be a great counter in some games.

the biggest problem with the deck, in all honesty, is timed wins. it doesnt lose very often, but at least half the wins end up being timed.
You're right, I have no quarrel with you there. Timed wins suck.
Bryan Batdorf

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

CCT can suck for mwyhl with piling up at the AC with guys capturing on destiny +3 or +4 and bane (v)/rodian. And all it takes is one defensive fire (v) (and cct should have a few, not to mention tunnel vision) and jar jar's not much of a problem. It's by no means an auto-loss, but it's one of the not so good matchups for it imo.

THE worst is watto, but that's another story...

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

In the spirit of TS's playtesting thread, I present the following story.

Today I woke up at [time] and got ready for work. I make my living as an [occupation], and take the [mode of transportation] to work. When I got there, I was happy to see that one of my coworkers had bought some [type of breakfast food]! I was so [emotion] because I was really hungry. Later I got a call from [business associate] who told me that [important business news]. Wow, that's huge! So I went to see [person], who's the head of [department in my company]. And he said we should try and do more [business activity]. I can see why he holds that position, he's pretty [adjective].
Greatest post of all time
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

CubsFan
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by CubsFan »

mserisman wrote:

Today I woke up at [time] and got ready for work. I make my living as an [occupation], and take the [mode of transportation] to work. When I got there, I was happy to see that one of my coworkers had bought some [type of breakfast food]! I was so [emotion] because I was really hungry. Later I got a call from [business associate] who told me that [important business news]. Wow, that's huge! So I went to see [person], who's the head of [department in my company]. And he said we should try and do more [business activity]. I can see why he holds that position, he's pretty [adjective].
Thank you. <bows>

:)

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

CubsFan wrote:
mserisman wrote:

Thank you. <bows>

Seriously, that was awesome! I really like Asphalizo, and was looking forward to the thread, so I was a bit disapointed to see no real data here at all. Your post summed it up beautifully!
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Asphalizo does Seinfeld:

So, I was playtesting a great new light side deck, against one of the most powerful dark side decks and yada, yada, yada, it won again, so back to the drawing board...

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Whatever. Next Tuesday I'll go back and replace all the deck #s with deck names. I gave ya'll a bunch of info, more than I should have. I wish I could give you more but I've got a World Championship to win.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Asphalizo wrote:Whatever. Next Tuesday I'll go back and replace all the deck #s with deck names. I gave ya'll a bunch of info, more than I should have. I wish I could give you more but I've got a World Championship to win.
But I need to know what to expect if I ever start losing on Day 2!

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Schele wrote:
Asphalizo wrote:Whatever. Next Tuesday I'll go back and replace all the deck #s with deck names. I gave ya'll a bunch of info, more than I should have. I wish I could give you more but I've got a World Championship to win.
But I need to know what to expect if I ever start losing on Day 2!
Oh com'n. You know that it you start losing on Day 2 it'll only be because of Team Stephenville and by then you'll know what we are playing.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Asphalizo wrote:Oh com'n. You know that it you start losing on Day 2 it'll only be because of Team Stephenville and by then you'll know what we are playing.
Next you're going to tell me that Garrett is a favorite to win worlds.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Schele wrote:
Asphalizo wrote:Oh com'n. You know that it you start losing on Day 2 it'll only be because of Team Stephenville and by then you'll know what we are playing.
Ha, good one. I saw that too. I've always wondered why I don't always agree with LTG. Now I know, he's been out in the AZ sun too long.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Hope ya'll like the new logo. Now Ya'll will know when we arrive at the tourney. We'll be flying into Chi-Town tomorrow at 10pm. Brandon I know your anxious to see me but you don't have to rush to the airport. I'll see you on Saturday.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

Bring back the old logo!
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

choongie
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by choongie »

Asphalizo wrote:Hope ya'll like the new logo. Now Ya'll will know when we arrive at the tourney. We'll be flying into Chi-Town tomorrow at 10pm. Brandon I know your anxious to see me but you don't have to rush to the airport. I'll see you on Saturday.
Nice use of the Photoshop Custom Shape Tool!

See you at WORLDS!

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Asphalizo wrote:
Schele wrote:
Ha, good one. I saw that too. I've always wondered why I don't always agree with LTG. Now I know, he's been out in the AZ sun too long.

sadly even I have to agree with that. I'm flattered to be picked as a favorite to win worlds, but I'm not sure that it's the best choice out there.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”