Team Endor Reports

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
mserisman

Team Endor Reports

Post by mserisman »

Team Endor Pre-Day 1 report:

Team Endor (myself and David) arrived last night to the bad convention center hotel accomodations of the O'hare Hyatt Regency. (4 stars my arse). After a quick drive out to Pastimes - via mapquest and a 6 turn trek through the north suburbs - we arrive at Pasttimes in time to view some prize support and get directions to downtown.

We arrive downtown about 10:30 pm, and promptly visit the immortal Soldier Field. Which by the way is an architectural juxtoposition that combines the original classic column design with a glass bowl arising out of the center like the Close Encounters mother ship had landed there and didn't quite fit, or the architect had eaten a hgh dose of Team Endor mushroms.....

A quick stop at the planetarium and a few minutes to check out the magnificent Chicago skyline and experience the good ole fashion Chicago wind chill, then off to Rush street for some late night food.

Given my general impatience to ever look for parking and my love for valet service, we drop into the "Frog" resteraunt and its curbside valet and grab some appetizers. For some reason David changes his mind about eating a huge steak at 11:30 pm? I try to tell him that it is very healthy to eat that much artery clogging food late at night. The highlight is of course the non-stop talking of the men's room attendant, who promptly started cuttting at David about the Bears - must of had something to do with Seahawks jersey David is wearing...

After a few wrong turns and a brief heading towards Indiana, we make our way back to the hotel.

Up at 8:00 am and off to work out for me. So, in Chicago for Worlds and its been 10 hours and neither of us have even looked at our decks....this bodes well.... After the other Worlds reports I have read in the past where people stay up all night and playtest and build decks... Team Endor operates a bit differently. Our main goal today is some fun games and then hitting some blues bars tonight - back on Rush street...

But for now we are off to Day 1 where David will try and qualify for Day 2 and I will try and play some of my fun second teir decks, or participate in some sealed deck madness, while waiting to break out the big guns for Day 2!

Stay tuned for the Day 1 report - dropped in here somewhere.....
Last edited by mserisman on October 21st, 2006, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Mid Day 1 Report:

David is playing in the Day 1 tournament. Outside a mistake early in game 1 he has a shot still for Day 2!

I played in the World Sealed Deck tournament today, and was crowned Dark Side Champion!!

http://www.swccgpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12520

Now, I should be totally up front and say that being the champion for the dark side was based on a 2(-60 something) result!

The light side had a huge advantage in cards, and "deadbody" had a perfect light side deck with a Throne Room start, and a Figrin Dan for all game retrieval. Nasty! Hard to lose by 29 in a 40 deck game, but that is what I did!

I did win the only dark side victory of the tournament, thanks to a Jawa Blaster and a huge "counter assault" force hit! I had a first though in this tournament - first time I have ever fired a jawa blaster and had it blow up killing my jawa... :cry:

More results to come....
Last edited by mserisman on October 21st, 2006, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Team Endor Day 1-

David just missed the cut for Day 2 - despite getting on a tear and ripping off three big wins in a row. One victory kept him out of Day 2. So the Endor rests on me for tomorrow. David's trooper assault dark side deck went 1-2, with one big win. When it hits it hits big time. His EBO deck went 2-1. So close to a top tier finish...

Overall, it was a fun day. I played in several games throughout the day and my "QMC - No Disintegrations" deck kicked all day long in games against "Jeeps", "lawtalking guy" and a few others! Almost makes me want to play it Day 2.....nah. Also played another first - my DS senate against a LS senate. With civil disorder out, not a good match up for dark side. I tried to win the game by not deploying any senators, and it was not as effective as I would have liked :lol:

After the events, we grabbed Rustin and Mike from AZ and hit a pizza place locally before heading back and doing some last minute changes based on some observable tech today.

I also make some major progress on my Reflections 3 foil set - getting a dozen and a half in trades throughout the day. For any players reading this who are at worlds - bring extra Ref3 foils! Cash in hand here :)

Mike Carr did a great job all day in running the tournament despite the typical card shop chaos - Kudos to him!

Stay tuned tomorrow for some Day 2 updates.

(BTW, if you hit the Pizza place near Pastimes called "Pinochios Bar and Grill" - don't quote me on the spelling here - anyway, check out Anya the waitress! Great service, great pizza, and all in all some good eye candy to boot :wink: )

Rogue4
Retired Advocate

Post by Rogue4 »

I'll vouch for that last part. 8)
May the game never die...and may you always let the wookiee win.

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

mserisman wrote:Mid Day 1 Report:

David is playing in the Day 1 tournament. Outside a mistake early in game 1 he has a shot still for Day 2!

I played in the World Sealed Deck tournament today, and was crowned Dark Side Champion!!

http://www.swccgpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12520

Now, I should be totally up front and say that being the champion for the dark side was based on a 2(-60 something) result!

The light side had a huge advantage in cards, and "deadbody" had a perfect light side deck with a Throne Room start, and a Figrin Dan for all game retrieval. Nasty! Hard to lose by 29 in a 40 deck game, but that is what I did!

I did win the only dark side victory of the tournament, thanks to a Jawa Blaster and a huge "counter assault" force hit! I had a first though in this tournament - first time I have ever fired a jawa blaster and had it blow up killing my jawa... :cry:

More results to come....
Getting Throne Room and Figrin Dan for sealed deck is nuts.
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Yeah, there were 5 of us who played in the sealed deck and Greg Shaw and Garrett Larson BOTH got Throne Rooms... Garrett's deck was something you would build if you were told this tournament was going to be a constructed event using Premiere cards... Boshek, Figrin, the THrone Room, barrier...

My highlight was playing Shaw. He has Yavin 4 out and drops both Gold and Read Squadron ships. I drop a Dreadnaught and shuttle the alien leader dude from the DS sealed (mind fart), but can't battle him. He responds with dropping Biggs and RED3! Matching pilots in sealed! The LS definitely had the advantage. So we battle and he draws a site and I draw Tec Mor (destiny 6). I clear Biggs and eventually take the system having cleared him of his ships in space later...

But Greg being he champ he is, claws his way back, using It Could Be Worse to nullify my drains of 2 at Yavin 4. Had I NOT lost my It's Worse from my own hand a few turns before to a force drain, I might have turned the game on him... I dunno...

It was fun to get acclimated to the area before playing in today's tournament. I was glad to meet some of the faces you only know about on these boards or heard about in other tournament reports... it's a very strange kinship, that my wife just doesn't get... :)

Well, I heard about the breakfast place in Hyde Park that serves these awesome French toast combos known as "orgies"... I think that will most definitely be in my tourament report...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Day 2 Report:

Ok, a pretty lousy day for me overall. A couple of stupid mistakes and bad hands kept me one win from Day 3.. :x

It was great to see Noah show up, and good to meet Arebelspy and a ton of folks that I had only met via the boards. Most are really great in person.

Mike Carr did a fantastic job running the tournament all day - despite running solo for the first few hours and trying to check 72 decks by himself and ran a smooth show - well done!!

Here is my game report. Given that Day 3 still has to be played, I will endeavor to not add any spoilers of what other people played until Monday. As I am now out, I will talk about what I played.

My DS deck (1-2) was a Tusken/sandwhirl/tat maul in space deck. A toned down version of the one that got killed by Bantha Herd (v) errata. A fun deck to play with the Tusken tech, and Maul and Tatooine Occupation.

My LS deck (2-1) was my Hidden Base with corvettes and quads.

Game 1 - my DS v. Garret LS: Lost by 17
My DS deck was a bit of a gamble, however it had a chance. I was up quite a bit until a huge beatdown (60-14) dropped 33 cards in overflow and I lost game 1 by 17. The key was a well timed "Frozen Assets" combined with "Draw Their Fire". I of course failed to hit him with a multiple killer when he had about 27 cards in hand - my idiocy costs me. Good strategy though, luring me into a false sense of confidence and then wham! here come about 6 LS characters and huge overflow. Garret is a great guy and a good sport.

Game 2 - my LS v. Asphalizo DS: Won by 15
A classic game for my Hidden Base LS deck. Despite not pulling a single one of my "On Target"s - 5 left in a force/reserve pile of 15. Amazing. Would have really increased the differential. Asphalizo is a soild guy - takes way more abuse on these forums that he deserves - and will have air cover from me going forward.

Game 3 - my DS v. Reid Smith LS: Lost by 12
Well I messed up royally in this one. I forgot I was not playing Drop (v) and forgot to put out "Firepower" - this cost me at least 3-4 force, and would have messed up his attempts to move on my turn. Bummer. I made it close though. The infamous "Destroyed Homestead" did some damage though :) What to say about Reid? First, he is in the wrong line of work - this guy is a saleperson if there ever was one. Hopefully he uses his obviously bright intellect to make something big happen in his life - lots of talent. Fun guy to play.

Game 4 - my LS v. Noah DS: Won by 1
Team Endor and Orgeon States re-match! Classic and typical match up of Noah and I. We seem to have all our games decided by about 1 card!! Thanks to a late game "Away put your weapons" and the direct damage from Padme in space with Luke, I prevail by 1!

Game 5 - my LS v. Steven Lewis DS: Lost by 34
OK, this game sucked big time. First three turns - I get 2 ships total!! I can't win with HB and no ships...No more will be said about this game. LOL However, the highlight for me was late in the game. I was getting hit with some tech that kept me from ending early. 5 minutes is announced....I sit back and say "Well, this will take a long time to figure out what to do...hmmmm". Steven freaks! Calls over the TD. It was hilarious! I let him finish the way he wanted, but the look on his face almost made the loss worthwhile :lol: I expected a bit better than the immediate screaming to the TD.... but all in all he is a good guy though and played well.

Game 6 - my DS v. Nick Reish LS: Won by 12:
OK, the Tusken tech worked like a charm on this one! Even with losing 2 to cloak Maul about 10 turns in a row, I still worked it out. Sandwhirls making people go missing - the dreaded "Destroyed Homestead" tech hitting for about 6-8 force and a huge battle victory when he forgot that Luke gets no battle destiny. I won by 12 but it could have been higher. Another highlight was hearing him mutter "I can't believe I lost to that crap"!!! This from a guy playing some strange WYS with a couple random speeders and uses every single of his "control/tunnel visions" and fails to cancel a single drain or sandwhirl. :roll: I sure he is a good guy though, even though he didn't play like it.

So, I was not pleased at all with the outcome, but had a lot of fun anyway. It was great meeting everyone!

I may come back with some detail about other people's tech, but not until after Day 3. I end up 3-3, and at least lose to a couple of the finalists.

Thanks again to Cubsfan for all his work in setting up the location, and Mike Carr and Greg Anderson for running it!! Solid guys all around.
Last edited by mserisman on October 23rd, 2006, 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

The guy from houston was nick reisch. he is a good guy and a good player. I agree with him. I can't believe he lost to that manure.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

DougRed4
Historical Advocate

Post by DougRed4 »

Awesome to hear these reports, Michael!

I can just see that look on Steven's face when he thought you were stalling. And I can't blame him, really. There really ARE players out there that will try to stall to cheat somebody out of a win.

Glad to hear Team Endor did pretty well, overall. Don't forget arebelspy is one of ours too (at least he cut his teeth here).
Doug Taylor
Red 4
Star Wars CCG Player Advocate
Card Design

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Anodos wrote:The guy from houston was nick reisch. he is a good guy and a good player. I agree with him. I can't believe he lost to that manure.
It really wasn't that close either.... LOL I beat Matt - the Washington States runner up - by about 35 with that "crap". It is very deceptive.

Yeah, no problem on Nick. Sometimes you just catch people at a bad time. Several attempts at asking him about where he was from, friendly banter.... were met with pretty cold reactions. I will give him a pass though. No worries.
Last edited by mserisman on October 22nd, 2006, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

DougRed4 wrote:Awesome to hear these reports, Michael!

I can just see that look on Steven's face when he thought you were stalling. And I can't blame him, really. There really ARE players out there that will try to stall to cheat somebody out of a win.

Glad to hear Team Endor did pretty well, overall. Don't forget arebelspy is one of ours too (at least he cut his teeth here).
Hey buddy, good to hear from you. Yeah, we had some fun. David went 3-3 in Day 1 and just missed qualifying for Day 2. So, for a couple of first timers we didn't completely scrub out.

It was fun meeting these guys in person. Even Brandon is a pretty good guy when you meet him.
:o

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

good job.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Thanks Ryan. Missed you guys out here. Maybe next year we can do a better job at local playtesting and bring a Team Endor out with you, Mike, Matt, and us.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Arebelspy and "the hooky", can you guys drop your tournament reports in here too? I think you are both playing in the consolation tournament today.

As for the other half of Team Endor - we are hitting Chicago! We got a great deal from someone selling off all his cards - so spent many hours into the early morning sorting cards. Too burned out to play more today.

So, off to the Field Museum today and Navy Pier - and then watching the Seahawks clobber the Vikings!

A great first Worlds experience. Lot's of great tech ideas to come back and pound on local players....

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Who's collection did you buy?

DougRed4
Historical Advocate

Post by DougRed4 »

mserisman wrote:So, off to the Field Museum today and Navy Pier - and then watching the Seahawks clobber the Vikings!

A great first Worlds experience. Lot's of great tech ideas to come back and pound on local players....
Hope your sightseeing in Chicagoland went better than the Seahawks game did today! :oops:
Doug Taylor
Red 4
Star Wars CCG Player Advocate
Card Design

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Final World Report:

Well, "Team Endor" took the sightseeing route today. We hit downtown Chicago and ran into the Chicago Marathon! Now, I just have to say that choosing to go run 26 miles seems like the most insane thing ever to me. Who on earth would do such a thing willingly? Now, given that I flew a couple thousand miles to play a card game, I guess I don't have room to talk... :lol:

Anyway, we did the Ferris Bueller and went up to the top of the Sears Tower - all 104 stories - to a great bright sunny day and great view. Then spent a hour or so downtown in traffic while discussing all the ways we hosed during our qualifiers - both being 1 game short...

With the Field Museum out given the timing, we hit the Navy Pier for some lunch and then off to a few more key stops downtown and off to the airport to watch the Seahawks get crushed by the mediocre Vikings while waiting for our flight. Ouch.

Well, finally home at about 2:00am after a flat tire and trek across the greater Seattle metro to get David home.

So hopefully my fellow Endor players will post their tournament stories here as well, but here are a few parting shots from me:

First, one has to LOVE this game to go to Worlds. Flying across the country at considerable expense, to play games is a bit nuts. But I do love this game and therefore chalk this one up as a good experience overall. Given that I have played in a total of 3 tournaments in the last 6 years, I felt 3 wins in Day 2 was a good start. No where to go but up.

Second, "most" of the players are really great to meet in person. Some of the people have my utmost respect and hopefully will be good friends. Despite some outrageous chatter on the boards, in person people are great. I do say "most" though. For a few, social skills seem to be scarce - it's only a game people. :roll:

Third, we have way too few advertisements on this board so here is one by our official Team Endor sponsor - MasterCard

Ticket for flight from Seattle to Chicago to play in Worlds - $400.00

Hotel rooms, meals and other Worlds expenses - $450.00

The look on Steven Lewis's face when I pretend to stall so he won't be able to retrieve his whole lost pile - PRICELESS!

Some things in life can't be bought, for everything else there is Mastercard

aeneas23
LS Region: Dantooine
LS Region: Dantooine

Post by aeneas23 »

mserisman wrote: Game 6 - my DS v. Nick Reish LS: Won by 12:
OK, the Tusken tech worked like a charm on this one! Even with losing 2 to cloak Maul about 10 turns in a row, I still worked it out. Sandwhirls making people go missing - the dreaded "Destroyed Homestead" tech hitting for about 6-8 force and a huge battle victory when he forgot that Luke gets no battle destiny. I won by 12 but it could have been higher. Another highlight was hearing him mutter "I can't believe I lost to that manure"!!! This from a guy playing some strange WYS with a couple random speeders and uses every single of his "control/tunnel visions" and fails to cancel a single drain or sandwhirl. :roll: I sure he is a good guy though, even though he didn't play like it.

Wow, there are lots of people that are jerks on these boards, but there is just something special about the way in which Mr. Erisman does it that sets me off.

He has been the object of a few tirades of mine in the past because of his particular combination of passive aggressiveness/arrogance, and has professed confussion about why I get angry about his posts. He's even PM'ed me to ask for an explanation, which I gave to him. Apparently it didn't do much good. This post is the perfect example of the type of guy Mr. Erisman is ... and it ain't good.

For the record, almost nothing in Mr. Erisman's game report is actually true (other than the fact that I did lose a boatload of force to destroyed homestead and he beat me.

For example, I have never, in my entire life, uttered the phrase "I can't believe I lost to that manure" and I certainly didn't say any such thing under my breath.

I don't say things under by breath. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not quiet about expressing my opinions and I'll tell someone to their face if I thought their deck was "manure." I also don't use the word "manure" in that context. I prefer the term C R A P

So, I don't know how Mr. Erisman could have heard me say that phrase. Now, I did say, "I can't believe this" on a couple of occasions that game because that game continued a trend of me having the worst luck I've ever had at a ccg event. I play with two Melas in my deck and for whatever reason, couldn't get one into my force pile until like the 8th turn. That's why I used my tunnel visions. I needed melas to go to the system to block Maul so Luke could come down and cancel destroyed homestead. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying to take a little side trip to kill off some tuskens and got a sandwhirl placed on me.

Furthermore, he never "hit me for 6-8 force for a huge battle victory." I lost one force total in all the battles I had against him. I was playing WYS and had plenty of forfeit on my smugglers. Moreover, there was never a battle in which Luke couldn't draw destiny. The only battles that commander luke(v) (the only Luke I was playing) was ever in were when he was on Rogue 1 and he gets two destiny no matter what. Again, I'm not sure what game Mr. Erisman was reporting on, but it sure wasn't the game he played against me.

Its possible that this could all be a mistake and he just confused me with another player, but I doubt it, especially because it was the last game of the day. I think it more likely that Mr. Erisman is just making stuff up because he is easily irritable and found a way to get irritated with me during the game.

For example, after my first turn I tell him to go and he activates two force before I say "after you activate one, I'll play escape pod." So, I do and while I'm searching through my deck for grimtash, he apparently activates the rest of his force. So when I'm done, he announces a drain of two at the tat:system where he had deployed maul first turn. I told him to wait and that he had to deactivate some force and back up because I wanted another action to pull battle plan. This is entirely legal, but he tried to argue that it was too late because I apparently should have known he had activated the rest of his force and I had given up the right to take an action.

I was just about to call for a judge when he decides to let it go, saying "Fine, if that's the way you want to play, we'll play that way."

Then later on in the game, I was using Echo Base Garrison to search for a commander luke(v) that I had retrieved the previous turn with civil disorder(v). While searching, I noticed that a second commander luke(v) that I had forfeited on Mr. Erisman's turn was in my deck. So, I did the honest thing and pulled it out of my reserve deck and told him that I didn't know how it got in there, but it belonged in the lost pile.

Now remember, this is in my reserve deck. He hasn't seen it and quite possibly would never notice that the second commander luke had ended up back in my reserve. So, you'd figure that the player I'm playing against would either be grateful for my honesty or at least accept me placing the luke in my lost pile without comment.

how does he react? You guessed it, he accuses me of cheating and says that both commander lukes should be in the lost pile because I lost one to a drain. What a dick!

That game was enough for me to confirm everything I suspected about Mr. Erisman. Underneath his seemingly amiable front is a very unpleasant mix of passive aggressiveness and condescension.

F0NK
Starter
Starter

Post by F0NK »

:shock:

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

while erisman and reisch have thier little spat, Team Ohio has more pressing issues:

HOW MANY KEGS FOR MEEKERS VICTORY CELEBRATION?
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”