October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
CubsFan
Booster Box
Booster Box

Mike Carr and Greg Anderson

Post by CubsFan »

These guys deserve a HUGE round of applause. Mike spent 4 days, two (or three) of which were presumably precious vacation time, at personal expense, to do nothing more than run tournaments for everyone. (I include Greg in this as well, though the Philly airport kept him away until Saturday)

These guys got in none of the Chicago sightseeing that others did. They didn't go out for nice lunches and/or dinners. They didn't get to play any SW:CCG games.

That's selflessness, and they deserve major accolades for it. Thanks guys.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Re: Mike Carr and Greg Anderson

Post by deadbody »

CubsFan wrote:These guys deserve a HUGE round of applause. Mike spent 4 days, two (or three) of which were presumably precious vacation time, at personal expense, to do nothing more than run tournaments for everyone. (I include Greg in this as well, though the Philly airport kept him away until Saturday)

These guys got in none of the Chicago sightseeing that others did. They didn't go out for nice lunches and/or dinners. They didn't get to play any SW:CCG games.

Kevin, don't count yourself out of this either. You went out on a very high note. You ran tournaments all weekend, and helped to make sure a lot of nerdy gamers had fun.

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

And I'm not talking about what you guys all caught from the Strip Club Sunday night.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

CubsFan wrote:These guys deserve a HUGE round of applause. Mike spent 4 days, two (or three) of which were presumably precious vacation time, at personal expense, to do nothing more than run tournaments for everyone. (I include Greg in this as well, though the Philly airport kept him away until Saturday)

Totally agree!!! Very well done!
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

Not enough kind words can be said about these guys, they gave it their all and it showed to all those who attended.

Unfortunately, circumstances prevented me from being present for all four days of worlds festivities, but from what I did see these guys were on top of things.

Quite simply, SWCCG is still alive and well because of the dedication of men like this, we cannot thank you enough.

So when can we get a date for Worlds 07? :twisted:
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Thanks guys, it was good seeing both of you again.

mc9457
Anthology
Anthology

Post by mc9457 »

CubsFan wrote:Mike spent 4 days, two (or three) of which were presumably precious vacation time, at personal expense, to do nothing more than run tournaments for everyone.
Arrived on Wednesday, left today...took 4 days of vacation time. All earned in tax season working 75 hour weeks. Kick @#$!
CubsFan wrote: These guys got in none of the Chicago sightseeing that others did.
This is going to be tough to explain to the guys at work.

"So what did you do on vacation?"
"Went to Chicago"
"What did you see? Sears Tower? Downtown? Scores?"
"Uhm...no"
"But you were there 6 days. You had to do something..."
"Yeah...so about that report that you were supposed to finish..."
CubsFan wrote: They didn't go out for nice lunches and/or dinners.
Did go out for dinners, whether they were nice or not you would have to talk to Micah Wooten and Steven Lewis. I hear that Bennegins pwned them. :)
CubsFan wrote: They didn't get to play any SW:CCG games.
I played one! Against Micah Wooten...who pwned me with his Watto deck...and I was playing WYS...yeah lets move on...I didn't play any SWCCG this weekend. ;)
CubsFan wrote: That's selflessness, and they deserve major accolades for it. Thanks guys.
Greg did a fantastic job this weekend as did you Kevin. I would also like to thank all the guys who assisted on day 2 and day 3 deck checks:

Michael Bahr
Matt Burke
JW Millet
Michael Richards

and I am sure there are others I have forgotten.

I would also like to thank everyone who offered there help - including Reid Smith and Andrew Howard who I failed to take up on their offers to help because I completely forgot on the flury of day 2 and 3 deck checks.

It was a series of very hectic days and a lot of fun. I would like to thank all the players for coming out and making this Worlds even more fun then I could have imagined.
Its been fun. Thanks guys.

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Mike you were great. It's good to actually learn about people outside of our world of SW. Great going to dinner with you and talking about The Office and SW on the balcony of our hotel. Lots of fun. Good job running the events and being a good guy. Hope that you never turn in walking papers to the PC because those shoes can not be filled.

CategoryOneGames.com

CubsFan wrote:

These guys got in none of the Chicago sightseeing that others did.

This is going to be tough to explain to the guys at work.

"So what did you do on vacation?"
"Went to Chicago"
"What did you see? Sears Tower? Downtown? Scores?"
"Uhm...no"
"But you were there 6 days. You had to do something..."
"Yeah...so about that report that you were supposed to finish..."
My excuse, family reunion inside a hotel. Worked so far.

CategoryOneGames.com

CubsFan wrote:

They didn't go out for nice lunches and/or dinners.

Did go out for dinners, whether they were nice or not you would have to talk to Micah Wooten and Steven Lewis. I hear that Bennegins pwned them.
We kept telling our group no Sushi and that's why we stayed away from the place next door. We didn't want to be sick in the middle of games. Yet when we went out to eat, we got some bad food at Bennegins that Pwned some of us.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:
CubsFan wrote:

Did go out for dinners, whether they were nice or not you would have to talk to Micah Wooten and Steven Lewis. I hear that Bennegins pwned them.
We kept telling our group no Sushi and that's why we stayed away from the place next door. We didn't want to be sick in the middle of games. Yet when we went out to eat, we got some bad food at Bennegins that Pwned some of us.
I don't know about "bad food" there, but the service was indeed awful :x

I thought the best meal I had all weekend was the "bucket o' boat trash" at Bubba Gump's down at the pier. Awesome!
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

It was a pleasure meeting so many of you...

I was impressed by Mike's compsure dealing with all the deck checking and whining when people got grumpy about having to organize their decks in the order their decklist read (I mean, seriously? It took these guys three minutes to make Mike's job so much easier... petty).

Overall, Mike was a champ. Greg's rulings were quick and decisive and fair (Can we get a clarification on participating creatures and Disarming Creature shield?... soon... :)) I was really impressed with the laid back attitudes of everyone involved... from the store workers to Mike and Greg to Kevin running his "kids" table tournament in the back :P to the players who showed up... there was just a real calm about everything... I guess Schele was a bit twitchy... but it's Schele.. :)
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

dynamicdog2002
Starter
Starter

Post by dynamicdog2002 »

Mike, Greg, and Kevin are the best. I only had the honor of spending time with Cubbie the first and third nights, I was trying to get Greg and Mike out but they unfortunately were very busy up until the last night.

To that end, gents, I owe you a nice dinner at the finest restaruant in town next time I see you. Think I joke with you? Ask CubsFan. :wink:

I too had to leave early Sunday but enjoyed coming by Thursday and Satruday and showing Chi Town that NYC loves its SWCCG and will support it to the end.

Good show, all.

Dante
Booster Pack
Booster Pack
Location: Rex Grossman better pull his head from his ass soon

Post by Dante »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:
CubsFan wrote:

I'm not sure where this came from (stay away from the Sushi place), I've eaten there like 6 times (I live in Chicago) and it's always been great (far better than anything from Wendy's I'll tell you that much). In addition, any time I've gone in during the week, it's been at least 50% actual Japanese people (and by "actual" I mean what looks to be Japanese business-people speaking Japanese only, as opposed to Americans of Japanese decent).

But definitely high kudos to all involved (esp Mike Carr). I know I was critical with the date(s) thing when it happened, so I will definitely say THANK YOU and congrats to them as I had a great time, even when I stuck around following the non-day 2 tournament to watch some good players sling cards and Reid Smith thought I was stalking him..

There were some funny quotes from when Kevin, Matt Burke, and I went out drinking Saturday night/Sunday morning, but after the 5th or 6th shot, I wasn't going to remember any of them anyway...

Just FYI, Kevin's girlfriends is quite normal (e.g. not a dwarf), although she is fairly short. Kudos to Matt Burke's wife (and Matt too) for staying out drinking shots and dancing at seedy bars for 2 hours after kevin went home. :twisted:
What the *** is an aluminum Falcon ?!@!#$

Archmage
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Archmage »

Although I did not go to worlds my experience with Greg and Mike at tournaments has been extrodinary. I appreciate the things they do for this game everyday and especially running events.
Largest Sanctioned SWCCG Tournament - 1st Place
US National Champion 2006
Rank in local store - 4th - 6th

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Thanks Greg! Thanks Mike! Keep up the GRRRRREAT work!
Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

MikeTLM889
Starter
Starter

Post by MikeTLM889 »

this was my first tournament in over five years as well as my first "championship" event (despite only playing in the v-lite, i'm not playing in day 2, and consolation tournaments ;) ). unfortunatly I was denied a chance in day 1 due to circumstances outside of my control, but it was a great time nonetheless. the atmosphere was inviting and everyone was very cool. big thanks to mike and greg for everything.

also, a big thanks to everyone i played over the weekend:
garret larson - for schooling me and getting the cards i needed to participate - congrats on doing well all weekend
brian hunter - for schooling me - congrats on finishing 2nd
dan ward
kevin brownell - for running everything...it was a good time
jim beyer
matt burke
michael bahr
michael richards
bill d!cks
andrew howard
nick reisch
chris westergard
sean mcgrath

everyone was incredibly nice and there wasn't a game that i didn't enjoy.

my interest in swccg has been revitalized and i'm very much looking foward to participating in more events this, and next, year.
Michael Rebman
Columbia College Chicago 2008
B.M. Music Composition

lawtalkingguy
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by lawtalkingguy »

Yeah, big huge massive props from right here definitely to Carr, Anderson, and Brownell, for the reasons already stated.

I send high-fives to all the rest of you I met as well. This was, all told, a great playing community to interact with. I mean that. Let me tell ya, attenting a remote Magic pro tour or grand prix is rarely anywhere near as congenial and friendly an experience. Though on the gaming table, I tend to perform just as badly, even though I was good enough to qualify in the first place. Anyone with tips on how to travel well so I can get off the schneid is welcome to offer them, perhaps in another thread so I don't jack the props thread here for the men that most definitely, certainly, deserve it.

thehooky
LS Region: Endor
LS Region: Endor

Post by thehooky »

i would like to say thanks as well, to every one that put up with me and my back rubs! and my overly large jug of good water! i am glad to be back in the mountains and drinking mountain water again! its is gooder water!

i do hope to play you all again some time and hopefully i will get to play more of you. i still cant get over that Deep Fried Ham sandwich! if i was not Jewish and overly worried about what i eat, i would have tried it!

i wont be on the boards much for a wile do to work and starting up a business.

CategoryOneGames.com

Hooky, good playing against you man, sorry for the jerkish ruling in our game. Thanks for the back massage at the event and hope you found someone to help with that collection. Also, hope you do well on the business and that it takes off for you.

CubsFan
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by CubsFan »

I really appreciate the thanks, but I didn't do anywhere near as much as Greg and Mike. They were there from start to finish, while I got to leave at a reasonable time each night.

And thanks to Mike Barh for helping me out with the end of the consolation event.

And Bill D!cks got left off the list of people helping with deck checks.

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”