PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
lawtalkingguy
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by lawtalkingguy »

Anagend wrote:
lawtalkingguy wrote:
Rikard wrote:After 10 world championships held in the US, don't you think it's fair that 1 could be held in Europe?

Are you also saying that "worlds" today is "worlds", but "only americans"?
Yes, it would be fair that 1 (or more!) be held in Europe.

But it's pretty disingenuous for you to accuse those organizing Worlds of favoring American players, whether intentionally or not. The PC is happy to crown a champion no matter where that champion lives.

What Carr is telling you is the flat truth -- the PC has scant resources and the logistics of holding an international event are daunting. This is why a Worlds in Europe is not likely to happen, even though a great many Americans (including me!) would love to visit Europe for such an event.

The PC's new plan to make a European Continental tournament (a greater event than just a Nationals) is probably the most feasible solution for now.
Weird that people can make a post like this and then can't see the moronity inherent to their statement.
Call me names all you want; my post above is still correct. Very mature BTW. Reminds me of the German Quake Kid from Youtube.

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

Anagend wrote:Weird that people can make a post like this and then can't see the moronity inherent to their statement.
It's also weird that people expect someone from the PC (all volunteers) to pay a ton of money to go overseas and host a SWCCG tournament, when a large % of the player base is in the United States and their own backyard.

mc9457
Anthology
Anthology

Post by mc9457 »

Anagend wrote: Weird that people can make a post like this and then can't see the moronity inherent to their statement.
mc9457 wrote: If....

A) We could generate $2,300 from a European Worlds
B) We could have advocates travel there to run the event at minimal cost
C) A majority of the years revenue from qualifiers came Europe
D) A majority of the player base identified themselves as being from Europe

We would hold it in Europe.

However, as it is...

A) Is a possibility
B) Is next to an impossibility
C) Has not happened as of yet
D) See - http://www.frappr.com/starwarsccg

Our ideal location is somewhere central to a majority of the player base, easily accessible by all major countries (ie via international airport), close to an advocate (so no regular competing player has to go without playing in the event), and is low cost.
I will say there are other reasons we need an advocate to run the event other then just preventing a person who regularly plays from playing. There are actually about ten reasons why.
Its been fun. Thanks guys.

Thomas Caspersen

Post by Thomas Caspersen »

Just to throw in my thoughts on the subject:

I have a hard time believeing that that PC will ever move Worlds to a non-US location, even once.
What I would like to see however, is more support and publicity around the European Championship. Some of this responibility falls on the TD and the people attending (posting TRs and such), but the PC can also do a lot.

1. Post results etc here, like from Worlds and GenCon.
2. Better prizes (cash, v-cards, etc)
3. I guess a free trip to Worlds is out of the question for the winner? Perhaps more important than #2?
4. Make sure decklists etc are posted at decktech, like I think should be mandatory for all championship events. At least top 4 or something.

I seriously think that this event should have a slightly higher priority that US Nationals, and obviously less priority than Worlds. This can be a good way to help building a bigger and better player base here in Europe.
mc9457 wrote:International Nationals will be given more respect as well.
PS! I'm really looking forward to seeing what this means :)
Last edited by Thomas Caspersen on November 1st, 2006, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Totally agree with Thomas on this one
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

Thomas Caspersen wrote:1. Post results etc here, like from Worlds and GenCon.
3. I guess a free trip to Worlds is out of the question for the winner? Perhaps more important than #2?
4. Make sure decklists etc are posted at decktech, like I think should be mandatory for all championship events. At least top 4 or something.
Number 1 and 4 can be things that players make sure happen. The advocates don't need to do anything special there.

2 and 3 are the same thing. I would only state that the PC doesn't really fund worlds...the players do. So if European want to hold EC qualifiers - instead of worlds qualifiers...and then have part of those funds go toward the EC prize...I would doubt the PC would object. It would mean charging more for EC.

So while I agree with your ideas...I disagree with the notion that the PC is the only force behind those changes. Players need to take more on themselves for many of thes things.

Stenberg
LS Region: Bespin
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Stenberg »

I don't know anything about the PC's money, but I don't think they can afford to send the champion of "US Nationals" and their advocates to Europe for Worlds.

Why not just have the EC champ play the Worlds champ to decide who gets the actual worlds title? (I don't know how they would get together to play; maybe everyone could donate 5 bucks to fly one of them or something)

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

I'm in favor of upgrading the European Championship instead of holding worlds in Europe, this is much more realistic.

About cash prizes: where does the PC get the money for the US nationals and WC? IS it possible to post actual numbers here? e.g. total = x$ , y% came from entry fees...
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

SandrockCustom22 wrote:I don't know anything about the PC's money, but I don't think they can afford to send the champion of "US Nationals" and their advocates to Europe for Worlds.
Erg... The Europeanc Champ doesn't get anything from the PC except the bye. No airplane ticket. Why should the US national get one?
SandrockCustom22 wrote:Why not just have the EC champ play the Worlds champ to decide who gets the actual worlds title? (I don't know how they would get together to play; maybe everyone could donate 5 bucks to fly one of them or something)
Well, if someone is already a world champion, then he is. Worlds should have more diversified playerbase. Not making the worlds champion vs eu champ. You see my point?
Btw, if you want, gather the top 1 players from all continents and make them play. That would decide the worlds. This idea is nonsense, but this way EC, AC, etc won't be underpositioned so-called Worlds(which is US Open now).
Thomas Caspersen wrote: 1. Post results etc here, like from Worlds and GenCon.
Totally agree. I think people would attend more if they get a free trip to WC. Even if we don't have cash prize. 1&4: these ones can be done by the players/TD.
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

if you dont want worlds in america, you hate freedom
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

DDM

Post by DDM »

Brad Eier wrote:if you dont want worlds in america, you hate freedom
Or William Wallace, for that matter. 8)
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Anagend
Starter
Starter

Post by Anagend »

mc9457 wrote:
Anagend wrote: Weird that people can make a post like this and then can't see the moronity inherent to their statement.
mc9457 wrote: If....

A) We could generate $2,300 from a European Worlds
B) We could have advocates travel there to run the event at minimal cost
C) A majority of the years revenue from qualifiers came Europe
D) A majority of the player base identified themselves as being from Europe

We would hold it in Europe.

However, as it is...

A) Is a possibility
B) Is next to an impossibility
C) Has not happened as of yet
D) See - http://www.frappr.com/starwarsccg

Our ideal location is somewhere central to a majority of the player base, easily accessible by all major countries (ie via international airport), close to an advocate (so no regular competing player has to go without playing in the event), and is low cost.
I will say there are other reasons we need an advocate to run the event other then just preventing a person who regularly plays from playing. There are actually about ten reasons why.
So, you are saying "all our advocates are North-American, so we can't organise anything in Europe".

Hmmm ... sounds fair towards Europe :).

I must say, I support the guy proposing Worlds in Australia. Screw the entire player base of the game instead of only half ;)

bluethrawn
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by bluethrawn »

Anagend wrote:So, you are saying "all our advocates are North-American, so we can't organise anything in Europe".
That's not at all what he said...

Anagend
Starter
Starter

Post by Anagend »

bluethrawn wrote:
Anagend wrote:So, you are saying "all our advocates are North-American, so we can't organise anything in Europe".
Then imagine you are a European and then see what he said.

I think point of view matters here ;)

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Anagend wrote:
bluethrawn wrote:

I understand we are definitely US-centric here. So what is the solution? Is someone from Europe petitioning for an Advocate role? Is someone prepping for a European Nationals that would be recognized by the PC?

Seems like a solution approach is better than a blame approach?
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

jawa_knight
LS Region: Mon Calamari

Post by jawa_knight »

mserisman wrote:
Anagend wrote:
bluethrawn wrote:

I understand we are definitely US-centric here. So what is the solution? Is someone from Europe petitioning for an Advocate role? Is someone prepping for a European Nationals that would be recognized by the PC?

Well, since i'm not from Europe or America, i think i can be somewhat unbias here. I can see how all the non americans feel that they are being cheated since the "World Title" is held in America only, and if you ever want to have a shot at that title, you have to travel there.

What i think would be better is like the tennis/golf tournaments were you have Majors once a year. You would have the European Championships, the American Titles and hey, even the Australian Open :lol:

Then once every 2/3/4 years have a World Title that can be held in USA ( as i do acknowledge that you guys have the largest playing base ). This way i would be a little more prestiges and allow international people more time to save up for a shot at it.

I do think something like this needs to be done, and have people put there hands up in the parts of the world to run/support this with the PC offering there support anyway they can.

LCJK
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by LCJK »

Anagend wrote:I must say, I support the guy proposing Worlds in Australia. Screw the entire player base of the game instead of only half ;)
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Of course worlds down under wouldnt screw the aussie playerbase - lets make it across the Tasman and have it in New Zealand.
-Lee 'LCJK' Clarke
Buy my extra LotR TCG HERE

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

america- * yeah!
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

jawa_knight

Post by jawa_knight »

LCJK wrote:
Anagend wrote:I must say, I support the guy proposing Worlds in Australia. Screw the entire player base of the game instead of only half ;)
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Of course worlds down under wouldnt screw the aussie playerbase - lets make it across the Tasman and have it in New Zealand.
NZ!!!!!

LOL.... I like it. Worlds 07 is now in NZ :lol: :lol:

Unless of course the PC take my suggestions :wink:

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

jawa_knight wrote:
mserisman wrote:
Anagend wrote:
bluethrawn wrote:

Well, since i'm not from Europe or America, i think i can be somewhat unbias here. I can see how all the non americans feel that they are being cheated since the "World Title" is held in America only, and if you ever want to have a shot at that title, you have to travel there.

What i think would be better is like the tennis/golf tournaments were you have Majors once a year. You would have the European Championships, the American Titles and hey, even the Australian Open :lol:

Then once every 2/3/4 years have a World Title that can be held in USA ( as i do acknowledge that you guys have the largest playing base ). This way i would be a little more prestiges and allow international people more time to save up for a shot at it.

I do think something like this needs to be done, and have people put there hands up in the parts of the world to run/support this with the PC offering there support anyway they can.
I would suggest something different. The main problem with what you describe is that it would leave no championships in the US for 2-3 year stretches, and a "dead" game needs more stroking than that.

I would suggest that the PC instead crown a US champion and a ROW (rest of world) champion, and then once every few years if we can afford the luxury of it, we do a true "World Championship" event outside the US and all previous winners get auto bids to Day 3.

I hear, and agree with, the reality that the euopean players are at a disadvantage, but really, what is the total player base we are talking about? If we can get a couple hundred hard core players in Europe, and get turnouts of 50+ to a European Worlds then it might make financial sense to hold it there.

If however holding a "worlds" overseas from the US means that there are like 15 total players who show up, then this will be a US dominated event, and should be, for purely economic reasons.

I do support the addition of a European advocate though. As well as far more coverage of European events and the crowning of a ROW champion....

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”