Announcements from Worlds

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

Well I somehow doubt a lot of US players would be able/willing to fly overseas to play a card tournament, so it would be a "Worlds" tournament but only Europeans.

Course, with online play it may be possible to actually facilitate a world tournament for everyone pretty soon though.

Rikard
LS Region: Toola

Re: Announcements from Worlds

Post by Rikard »

Asphalizo wrote:I understand your frustration, but the main thing is its just easier to hold it here in the states. I also think there would be less competitors at a World's somewhere in Europe. Everyone would have to get passports and what not so they'd be less likely to go. Some of us would travel where ever, unfortunately the vast majority are not as open minded.
Easier for who? We have perfectly capable tournament hosts here in Europe. I can't see any reason that it would be harder for the PC to host the event in a European city, than in an american on.

There would probably be less competitors, but if you expect europeans to come the US to play, then you should be just as ready to travel overseas. We do also need passports to get into the US.

And there would without a doubt be a lot more NEW players at a worls held in Europe. With worlds in the US next year again, it will just be the same guys as last year.
- Winner of the 2004 Norwegian SW:CCG Nationals.
- Check out the Toola web site.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Rikard wrote:
deadbody wrote:When Europe can consistently host 30+ person tournaments in varying locales then we can talk.

As it stands the US had multiple 30+ person tournaments w/o much overlapping of players (the players at one big tourney were not at the others).

Most of the player base is in the US. So worlds should be in the US.
Why is the number of players a reason? Europe has the biggest "base" of soccer players, yet the World Cup was held in the US in 1994. Another soccer tournament, the Norway Cup, is the largest international soccer tournament in the world, even if Norway has one of the smallest populations in the world. I can't see any reason why the number of players should decide which country should get to host an event.
The US put up a large sum of money to host the world cup, with the expectation that tourist dollars and money spent on site by the teams and journalists etc would recoup said expenditure. Countries sent the teams in a display of nationalistic pride, not an attempt to win money to recoup the cost of the trip. If you can arrange to have the US governement subsidize some of our playing and travel expenses then I'll take the World Cup comparison. Until then it is not even close to a valid anology.

When the prizes are big enough people will travel. Sadly worlds prizes need to grow significantly before it is cost effective for trans-atlantic travel to be worthwhile for most of us.

Player base needs to be the deciding factor in where worlds is held. More players is better than less players.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

Rikard wrote:And there would without a doubt be a lot more NEW players at a worls held in Europe. With worlds in the US next year again, it will just be the same guys as last year.
But I doubt there would be that many overall relative to a United States worlds.

Rikard

Post by Rikard »

_maul wrote:Well I somehow doubt a lot of US players would be able/willing to fly overseas to play a card tournament, so it would be a "Worlds" tournament but only Europeans.

Course, with online play it may be possible to actually facilitate a world tournament for everyone pretty soon though.
So you expect European players to travel to the US for the tournament, but US players shouldn't have to travel overseas? After 10 world championships held in the US, don't you think it's fair that 1 could be held in Europe?

Are you also saying that "worlds" today is "worlds", but "only americans"?

mc9457
Anthology
Anthology

Post by mc9457 »

Very simple.

If....

A) We could generate $2,300 from a European Worlds
B) We could have advocates travel there to run the event at minimal cost
C) A majority of the years revenue from qualifiers came Europe
D) A majority of the player base identified themselves as being from Europe

We would hold it in Europe.

However, as it is...

A) Is a possibility
B) Is next to an impossibility
C) Has not happened as of yet
D) See - http://www.frappr.com/starwarsccg

Our ideal location is somewhere central to a majority of the player base, easily accessible by all major countries (ie via international airport), close to an advocate (so no regular competing player has to go without playing in the event), and is low cost.

That is not to say that Europeans aren't getting some love next year. There are plans in place to help...defer some of the expense that they incur. As well as others. I briefly described these at worlds this year.

More once I get it all approved.
Last edited by mc9457 on October 30th, 2006, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Its been fun. Thanks guys.

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

Rikard has a point... Worlds should probably be moved around a bit more, the Northeastern part of the country has had a monopoly on it.

Brad and I were discussing...

I think a rotation amongst

Midwest/Northeastern US
Southern US
Western US
International

would be fair. We can do the first international in Canadia or something, just as a proof of concept.

Otherwise, Rikard, what I suggest you do is don't put much weight on Worlds SWCCG champion, and only recognize the European Champion... maybe the PC could help by making cash available...
Justin Stratton, Northeast Ohio

Play SWCCG online at GEMP

mc9457
Anthology
Anthology

Post by mc9457 »

I think people ignored my announcements.
mc9457 wrote: US Nationals will be split between east and west coast as we move away from GenCon all together. Look for an announcement on how your local TD can apply to have it and what kinds of venues we will be looking for to hold these two events.

International Nationals will be given more respect as well. Look for an announcement on how your local TD can apply to have it and what kinds of venues we will be looking for to hold these kind of events.
Its been fun. Thanks guys.

Rikard

Post by Rikard »

deadbody wrote:Player base needs to be the deciding factor in where worlds is held. More players is better than less players.
Why is it so important to have the largest possible turnout for this particular tournament? If you let Europe host worlds 2007, you can still have the US Nationals as your main event for that year.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

As Mike Carr said, they have to keep Worlds in a centralized location for the dwindling player base. Say they hold it in a location that is ultimately bad for a lot of people, so attendance is terrible(think 2/3 of what showed up this year). How does that bode for the game? Odds are, it would only hurt it in the long run, and the last thing the game needs is another set back. Basically, a "rotation" of locations all over the US is not a good idea.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Rikard wrote:Why is it so important to have the largest possible turnout for this particular tournament? If you let Europe host worlds 2007, you can still have the US Nationals as your main event for that year.
For the same reason Europeans should be the largest event in Europe.

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

Rikard wrote:
deadbody wrote:Player base needs to be the deciding factor in where worlds is held. More players is better than less players.
Why is it so important to have the largest possible turnout for this particular tournament? If you let Europe host worlds 2007, you can still have the US Nationals as your main event for that year.
Well, if the PC is going to donate XXXX for prize money, they need as much of a turn out as possible so they don't lose money. That keeps the tills full for future worlds. If the PC sets aside XXXX money, and european worlds doesn't pull very many players, then the PC is losing big bucks.

So, attendance count is important...

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Nitsuj wrote:Rikard has a point... Worlds should probably be moved around a bit more, the Northeastern part of the country has had a monopoly on it.

Midwest/Northeastern US
Southern US
Western US
International

would be fair. We can do the first international in Canadia or something, just as a proof of concept.

Otherwise, Rikard, what I suggest you do is don't put much weight on Worlds SWCCG champion, and only recognize the European Champion... maybe the PC could help by making cash available...
Sweet Worlds '08 in Dallas!

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

Asphalizo wrote:
Nitsuj wrote:Rikard has a point... Worlds should probably be moved around a bit more, the Northeastern part of the country has had a monopoly on it.

Midwest/Northeastern US
Southern US
Western US
International

Sweet Worlds '08 in Dallas!
No, that's too far south. by south, I meant Columbus, OH, and by western region I meant St. Louis, and by Canadia I meant Windsor.
:D

lawtalkingguy
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by lawtalkingguy »

Rikard wrote:After 10 world championships held in the US, don't you think it's fair that 1 could be held in Europe?

Are you also saying that "worlds" today is "worlds", but "only americans"?
Yes, it would be fair that 1 (or more!) be held in Europe.

But it's pretty disingenuous for you to accuse those organizing Worlds of favoring American players, whether intentionally or not. The PC is happy to crown a champion no matter where that champion lives.

What Carr is telling you is the flat truth -- the PC has scant resources and the logistics of holding an international event are daunting. This is why a Worlds in Europe is not likely to happen, even though a great many Americans (including me!) would love to visit Europe for such an event.

The PC's new plan to make a European Continental tournament (a greater event than just a Nationals) is probably the most feasible solution for now.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Nitsuj wrote:No, that's too far south. by south, I meant Columbus, OH, and by western region I meant St. Louis, and by Canadia I meant Windsor.
:D
C'mon Justin I lived in your state for 5 1/2 years. I even played Star Wars at the Mansfield Mini-Open with Booker and at a card shop in Findlay with Brad. Not to mention numerous LOTR games in Cincy during my dark times of running to site 9 over and over. The least ya'll could do is fly to Dallas!

Rikard

Post by Rikard »

mc9457 wrote:Very simple.

If....

A) We could generate $2,300 from a European Worlds
B) We could have advocates travel there to run the event at minimal cost
C) A majority of the years revenue from qualifiers came Europe
D) A majority of the player base identified themselves as being from Europe

We would hold it in Europe.
I see your points. I am not saying that Europe should compete for having the largest tournament of the year. All I am saying is: Let the official 2007 World Champion be crowned in a European tournament. You can still have the $2,300 US tournament (Nationals?).

There are lots of great european SWCCG players who never get a shot at the title because of the location of the event.

Rikard

Post by Rikard »

Schele wrote:As Mike Carr said, they have to keep Worlds in a centralized location for the dwindling player base. Say they hold it in a location that is ultimately bad for a lot of people, so attendance is terrible(think 2/3 of what showed up this year). How does that bode for the game? Odds are, it would only hurt it in the long run, and the last thing the game needs is another set back. Basically, a "rotation" of locations all over the US is not a good idea.
Even if the world champion title goes in a European tournament, that doesn't mean that you can't have a big US tournament.

Rikard

Post by Rikard »

Schele wrote:
Rikard wrote:Why is it so important to have the largest possible turnout for this particular tournament? If you let Europe host worlds 2007, you can still have the US Nationals as your main event for that year.
For the same reason Europeans should be the largest event in Europe.
It's been like this for 11 years now. I'm not saying that the European Championships should be larger than the main US event. I'm only asking if it would be fair to crown the 2007 World Champion in a European tournament, after 11 consecutive years in the US.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Rikard wrote:
Asphalizo wrote:I understand your frustration, but the main thing is its just easier to hold it here in the states. I also think there would be less competitors at a World's somewhere in Europe. Everyone would have to get passports and what not so they'd be less likely to go. Some of us would travel where ever, unfortunately the vast majority are not as open minded.
Easier for who? We have perfectly capable tournament hosts here in Europe. I can't see any reason that it would be harder for the PC to host the event in a European city, than in an american on.

There would probably be less competitors, but if you expect europeans to come the US to play, then you should be just as ready to travel overseas. We do also need passports to get into the US.

And there would without a doubt be a lot more NEW players at a worls held in Europe. With worlds in the US next year again, it will just be the same guys as last year.
As long as we hold it somewhere my wife wants to go, then count me in for a Europe event. I suggest Dublin, London or somewhere in Greece
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”