October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
mserisman

Re: Announcements from Worlds

Post by mserisman »

Nitsuj wrote:
Rikard wrote:
deadbody wrote:Player base needs to be the deciding factor in where worlds is held. More players is better than less players.
Why is it so important to have the largest possible turnout for this particular tournament? If you let Europe host worlds 2007, you can still have the US Nationals as your main event for that year.
Well, if the PC is going to donate XXXX for prize money, they need as much of a turn out as possible so they don't lose money. That keeps the tills full for future worlds. If the PC sets aside XXXX money, and european worlds doesn't pull very many players, then the PC is losing big bucks.

So, attendance count is important...
Remember, the majority of US CCG players are poor, to the point of where a weekend trip to Chicago is a cost cutting endeavor....no way you get more than a few to have the resources to travel to Europe.

Personally, I would love to see a worldwide map (like the Frapp maps) of Star Wars CCG players...and would love to see the next Champion come from outside the US - unless its me of course :)

"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Rikard
LS Region: Toola
LS Region: Toola

Post by Rikard »

mserisman wrote:Remember, the majority of US CCG players are poor, to the point of where a weekend trip to Chicago is a cost cutting endeavor....no way you get more than a few to have the resources to travel to Europe.
But European players are expected to fork out every year if they want to compete for the title? Isn't that discriminating? For me, the plane ticket alone would cost more than $1000.
- Winner of the 2004 Norwegian SW:CCG Nationals.
- Check out the Toola web site.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

swccg should be leik golf, with 4 majors

us open (us nationals)
british open (you're-a-peein' nationals)
masters (origins or gencon, maybe the matchplay thing)
pga championship (worlds)
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Rikard wrote:
mserisman wrote:Remember, the majority of US CCG players are poor, to the point of where a weekend trip to Chicago is a cost cutting endeavor....no way you get more than a few to have the resources to travel to Europe.
But European players are expected to fork out every year if they want to compete for the title? Isn't that discriminating? For me, the plane ticket alone would cost more than $1000.
I am on your side here, I am just stating factual reality.

I would easily go to Europe - as long as the location was somewhere my wife wanted to go :)
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

thomashawk
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack

Post by thomashawk »

Brad Eier wrote:swccg should be leik golf, with 4 majors

us open (us nationals)
Good idea!

I also like Rikards idea of just crowning a world champion in a European tournament.

OR, there could be "semi-finals" in Europe and the US, and the top 10 or 20 players fought it out in either continent. Then the lowest number (say 3 of 10 was from Europe) could get some support doing the trip. because it is not just the travel cost that would forbid me doing my day 2 in the US, but the fact that it is 3 days of exhausting playing - increasing the cost, length of stay/adsence from work and ofcourse combining this with taking my wife and child over becomes quite unrealistic. "Honey, why don´t you check out Wall Mart for 3,5 days while I play for the title?".. Yeah right! But if it was like an 8-10 hours effort, it could be feasable...
Thomashawk
:rimshot

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

thomashawk wrote:
Brad Eier wrote:swccg should be leik golf, with 4 majors

us open (us nationals)
Good idea!

I also like Rikards idea of just crowning a world champion in a European tournament.

OR, there could be "semi-finals" in Europe and the US, and the top 10 or 20 players fought it out in either continent. Then the lowest number (say 3 of 10 was from Europe) could get some support doing the trip. because it is not just the travel cost that would forbid me doing my day 2 in the US, but the fact that it is 3 days of exhausting playing - increasing the cost, length of stay/adsence from work and ofcourse combining this with taking my wife and child over becomes quite unrealistic. "Honey, why don´t you check out Wall Mart for 3,5 days while I play for the title?".. Yeah right! But if it was like an 8-10 hours effort, it could be feasable...
A lot more to do in the US than Wal-Mart!

Saint
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by Saint »

mserisman wrote:A lot more to do in the US than Wal-Mart!
Such as?
DBO Rocks
CRingwell wrote:The Candy Land Player's Committee. Double Purple is banned.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Saint wrote:
Such as?
Well....in Minnesota you are probably correct....

In Chicago there is the Field Museum, Aquarium, Miracle Mile downtown, Sears Tower, etc, etc.,..

Saint
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by Saint »

mserisman wrote:
Saint wrote:
Such as?
Well....in Minnesota you are probably correct....

In Chicago there is the Field Museum, Aquarium, Miracle Mile downtown, Sears Tower, etc, etc.,..
I'm thinking Walmart sounds like the clear winner there.
DBO Rocks

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

Well, on day 2 you had around 33 players. 32 was American. 1 from EU. Last year you had 2 EU players maybe a few Canadians. Still calling it worlds is silly. Call it US Open or something similar. Worlds is worlds because of high number of nations presented. Tell me the difference between US Nationals and Worlds? It's shorter and DDM doesn't go to USN. :)
You're expecting us to go there and play. But you're complaining because of high costs to travel to EU. It's the same way back. Btw, some of the EU countries need visa to get to US, which is hard to get sometimes(depending on the policy of USA).
If we have worlds we can get a good attendance too. Maybe will be more motivated. And we don't need highly traind advocates to run an event properly. We have Chris Menzel and plenty of great organizers.
Anyway, if I get a scholarship to US I am going to Worlds :D
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

LCJK
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by LCJK »

My vote is for worlds to be held in Australia next year. That way both the Europeans and the Yanks can have to fork out for plane tickets and I'll be able to attend. I'll provide free accomodation to everybody that makes the trip and I'm happy to organise EVERYTHING involved in the running of the actual event. Any takers?
-Lee 'LCJK' Clarke
Buy my extra LotR TCG HERE

Stenberg
LS Region: Bespin
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Stenberg »

Let's go with neutral ground and hold it in Japan. They MUST have a huge player base, we have Japanese cards after all.

Saint
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by Saint »

Japanese Cards > WB cards (and foil, and boring ol' BB).

ANY ONE WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT!?

Thats what I thought.
DBO Rocks

jawa_knight
LS Region: Mon Calamari

Post by jawa_knight »

LCJK wrote:My vote is for worlds to be held in Australia next year. That way both the Europeans and the Yanks can have to fork out for plane tickets and I'll be able to attend. I'll provide free accomodation to everybody that makes the trip and I'm happy to organise EVERYTHING involved in the running of the actual event. Any takers?
Second that motion!!
i have a small group ( ie 3 of us ) that would turn up :twisted:

We just need one more to pass the motion * looks at psychobabbles direction * 8)

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

LCJK wrote:My vote is for worlds to be held in Australia next year. That way both the Europeans and the Yanks can have to fork out for plane tickets and I'll be able to attend. I'll provide free accomodation to everybody that makes the trip and I'm happy to organise EVERYTHING involved in the running of the actual event. Any takers?
I'm in!

lawtalkingguy
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by lawtalkingguy »

By then I'll be living on lawyer money, so I will certainly be able to make it. Count me in for Australia! Make it Perth, so that it's as far from any other place on earth as possible. :)

jawa_knight

Post by jawa_knight »

lawtalkingguy wrote:
By then I'll be living on lawyer money, so I will certainly be able to make it. Count me in for Australia! Make it Perth, so that it's as far from any other place on earth as possible. :)
LOL

Nice call. Still it's more interesting then canberra :P

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

we might as well have it on the moon for the attendance we'd get.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

LCJK
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by LCJK »

Shadow 13 wrote:we might as well have it on the moon for the attendance we'd get.
That's no moon. :)

I think we could manage atleast 30% of this year's worlds turnout if it was held in Australia. Weather's sure to be good if it was held here (hasn't rained here for years :) ) and plenty of stuff for people to go and see when they're not at the tournament.

This sounds like a really good idea - who's in charge of deciding worlds location?
-Lee 'LCJK' Clarke
Buy my extra LotR TCG HERE

Anagend
Starter
Starter

Post by Anagend »

lawtalkingguy wrote:
Rikard wrote:After 10 world championships held in the US, don't you think it's fair that 1 could be held in Europe?

Are you also saying that "worlds" today is "worlds", but "only americans"?
Yes, it would be fair that 1 (or more!) be held in Europe.

But it's pretty disingenuous for you to accuse those organizing Worlds of favoring American players, whether intentionally or not. The PC is happy to crown a champion no matter where that champion lives.

What Carr is telling you is the flat truth -- the PC has scant resources and the logistics of holding an international event are daunting. This is why a Worlds in Europe is not likely to happen, even though a great many Americans (including me!) would love to visit Europe for such an event.

The PC's new plan to make a European Continental tournament (a greater event than just a Nationals) is probably the most feasible solution for now.
Weird that people can make a post like this and then can't see the moronity inherent to their statement.

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”