What did you play?

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
mserisman

Post by mserisman »

DDM wrote:
Brad Eier wrote:im gonna assume it was more than just adding a houjix, right? :wink: cause its good vs beatdowns too lol

maybe its something goof like caldera righam
Caldera can be Set For Stunned.
And no, it wasn't Houjix or It's A Trap!. :)
Actually, like CubsFan said, it wasn't card intensive.
all i needed was:
- Roche (pulls Cave and Big One). In LS Senate, easily pulled by Mothma (V).
- Slug (pulled from the SE by Tauntaun Bones (V))
- a low power starfighter at the Big One.
Nothing else was needed. So don't look at the card list. It wasn't a card that saved the ship, but a rule.
So, whats the rule?

"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

CubsFan
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by CubsFan »

mserisman wrote:
DDM wrote:
Brad Eier wrote:im gonna assume it was more than just adding a houjix, right? :wink: cause its good vs beatdowns too lol

all i needed was:
Nothing else was needed. So don't look at the card list. It wasn't a card that saved the ship, but a rule.
So, whats the rule?
Read the Big One's and Space Slug's gametext, and then consider how a phase ends.

lawtalkingguy
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by lawtalkingguy »

CubsFan wrote:
mserisman wrote:
DDM wrote:

all i needed was:
So, whats the rule?
Read the Big One's and Space Slug's gametext, and then consider how a phase ends.
When both players pass priority?

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

i love you.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

the rule in question is the mandatory actions rule, from the newest rule sheet.

very clever, DDM. major props.
ryan french

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

UGH

I don't see it.
Justin Stratton, Northeast Ohio

Play SWCCG online at GEMP

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

Nitsuj wrote:UGH

I don't see it.
you're bad at swccg cause you can't find loopholes in new rules sheets

ftl
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

maxbeedo
LS Region: Dantooine

Post by maxbeedo »

That is pretty nifty. Though I think you'd still be vulnerable at Big One, but in a space deck you've probably got that covered.

SirYoda
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by SirYoda »

Summary of DDM's trick:

"I'll pull bad card A, which pulls bad card B and bad card C. I top it off with the worst creature in the game and the lowest-power ship I can find. Now, guess what? I wreck you."
STEVEN LEWIS
James Paul Booker wrote:Steve Lewis came in like Winston Wolfe and pulled out a wad of cash...

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

A-Wings FTL

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

CubsFan wrote:
Ghost wrote:
swccgpc_Eric wrote:What is this mystery slug tech?
I heard about this Sunday. It is quite genius. Absolutely amazing.

I do hope that DDM shares it with you guys.

I don't feel it's my place to share other peoples ideas (unless permission is given.)
It IS amazingly creative, but just to put it in context, all it does is use about 7 cards to satisfy Battle Plan (and any other card that gives you benefits for holding a battleground site and system) without any fear whatsoever of taking a beating at the site. it doesn't deal damage, it doesn't stop damage, it doesn't retrieve, etc.
It does deal some damage, it holds a BG site for a senator to deal 2 direct damage, not just drain free.

-arebelspy

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

Nitsuj wrote:UGH

I don't see it.
deploy any random ship to the space slug belly. during your move phase, take off.

during opponent's deploy phase, they deploy guys to the belly, ready to beat you down when the space slug swallows your ship.

due to the mandatory actions rule, if you don't choose to initiate the space slug's attack on your ship, it happens as a mandatory action at the end of the battle phase, at which point your ships is defeated and moved to the belly....but the battle phase ends before they can battle you.

during your move phase, take off again....and repeat ad infinitum.

a good way for the PC to counter this strat is make a card that says whenever a creature defeats a card, that card's owner loses a force or something.
ryan french

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

Shadow 13 wrote:deploy any random ship to the space slug belly. during your move phase, take off.

during opponent's deploy phase, they deploy guys to the belly, ready to beat you down when the space slug swallows your ship.
how does it swallow the ship before I can initiate a battle?
Shadow 13 wrote: due to the mandatory actions rule, if you don't choose to initiate the space slug's attack on your ship, it happens as a mandatory action at the end of the battle phase, at which point your ships is defeated and moved to the belly....but the battle phase ends before they can battle you.
if this is what it does - get attacked first (but then I guess he makes your lost)
Shadow 13 wrote: during your move phase, take off again....and repeat ad infinitum.
for what good?
Shadow 13 wrote: a good way for the PC to counter this strat is make a card that says whenever a creature defeats a card, that card's owner loses a force or something.
pretty sure that's not needed...nor would that EVER get played.

someone is going to have to explain it better than this...this doesn't even make sense...I still don't know what the slug does to help win since it is neither a system nor site...

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Ryan pretty much hit the nail on the head, at least that's how I understood it. You can't battle it because it's already been involved in an attack this turn, and thus cannot battle. The Slug has to attack every turn, and thus every turn you will be moved to the belly.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

maxbeedo

Post by maxbeedo »

At least from what I could find in the rules, it doesn't protect the ship from being attacked at the Big One, but the ship and/or people aboard could not be battled at the Cave because it would not be relocated until the DS has basically passed on its ability to battle (attempting to end the battle phase), to which the Space Slug's mandatory action becomes an automatic action and has to be resolved. The ship gets eaten and the battle phase is over before anyone at the site can attack the ship.

The entries about creatures attacking mention nothing about attacking starships (only characters, creatures and creature vehicles), but I assume they fall under the same rule that everything can participate in one attack AND one battle per turn, but I don't think that matters here anyway, since the only battling the DS can do is at the Big One, and they could battle before an attack anyway (assuming they were mutually exclusive) since the attack isn't an automatic action yet and the DS gets first action.

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

PapaLorax wrote:
Shadow 13 wrote:deploy any random ship to the space slug belly. during your move phase, take off.

how does it swallow the ship before I can initiate a battle?
Shadow 13 wrote: due to the mandatory actions rule, if you don't choose to initiate the space slug's attack on your ship, it happens as a mandatory action at the end of the battle phase, at which point your ship is defeated and moved to the belly....but the battle phase ends before they can battle you.
if this is what it does - get attacked first (but then I guess he makes your lost)
Shadow 13 wrote: during your move phase, take off again....and repeat ad infinitum.
for what good?
Shadow 13 wrote: a good way for the PC to counter this strat is make a card that says whenever a creature defeats a card, that card's owner loses a force or something.
pretty sure that's not needed...nor would that EVER get played.

someone is going to have to explain it better than this...this doesn't even make sense...I still don't know what the slug does to help win since it is neither a system nor site...
the purpose of the loop is to fulfill battle plan and occasionally menace fades (if your opponent doesn't go to the site) without the possibility of having your ship ever battled by ground characters.

during your opponent's deploy phase, your ship is at the sector, because every one of your move phases you take off from the space slug belly/asteroid cave.

during your opponent's battle phase, your space slug must attack. however, you are not required to initiate the attack using one of your actions; the rules state that if you don't initiate an attack voluntarily, once both players pass the attack becomes an automatic action that occurs before the battle phase ends. thus the [card]space slug[/card] defeats your low power starfighter, and you choose to relocate it to the space slug belly site....where your opponent has already passed his battle phase action so the battle phase ends with your opponent unable to init battle at the site.

it's an ingenious loop, but only good for satisfying battle plan and mas amedda. it's not going to win you the game by itself.
ryan french

Shadow 13

Post by Shadow 13 »

TacoBill wrote:Ryan pretty much hit the nail on the head, at least that's how I understood it. You can't battle it because it's already been involved in an attack this turn, and thus cannot battle. The Slug has to attack every turn, and thus every turn you will be moved to the belly.
your cards can participate in both a battle and an attack every turn. the trick is that if you don't voluntarily initiate the creature attack, with your creature (the space slug), then it happens automatically at the end of hte battle phase, and no more battle phase actions happen after that. so you occupy the belly during your own control phase, but never during your opponent's battle phase.
ryan french

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Yeah, I understood that. I thought maybe the DS played could force the Space Slug to attack before the end of the phase, which would relocate the ship.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

Stenberg
LS Region: Bespin
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Stenberg »

Why does the DS pass on its battle phase action?

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

my 'cave rules' knowledge is clearly lacking.

i believe you said that on your turn you are at the sector.

why can't I battle you at the sector?

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”