Brian Hunter = Buffalo Bills

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Brian Hunter = Buffalo Bills

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Well it looks like Brian Hunter has pushed Steven Lewis's name out of the all time #2 finisher in the game. Hunter was so close both times . If he had actually gone to 2005 and lost in the finals, it really would have been the Buffalo Bills.

Jim Jerriko
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by Jim Jerriko »

Wow, let the poop talking commence.

CategoryOneGames.com

I actually thought Hunter was a nice guy and had a good time talking to him. This is in no way a diss to him. It's amazing that he has reached this level twice now in this game, something you don't often see. That's why even being second here is hard to do. You might see guys that finish a lot in other games like Magic and VS, but I don't believe it has ever happened in Worlds twice in the history of SW.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

um greg shaw got 2nd at worlds two years in a row, didn't he?
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

mikefrench wrote:um greg shaw got 2nd at worlds two years in a row, didn't he?
Yeah, and Hunter never finished 2nd other than this year that I'm aware of.

CategoryOneGames.com

Well, dang, looks like I'm off with this whole thing then. I thought he finished 2nd in 2004 to you Schele. Didn't realize Greg Shaw either.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:Well, dang, looks like I'm off with this whole thing then. I thought he finished 2nd in 2004 to you Schele. Didn't realize Greg Shaw either.
Nah, Reid Smith was 2nd. Brian Hunter lost in the semifinals, so he was 3rd/4th.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

and if i'm not wrong, i think that 3/4th placing and this year's 2nd are hunter's only real accomplishments at worlds. he was kinda renowned for doing well at non-east coast dpc's and regionals and then choking at worlds.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

mc9457
Anthology
Anthology

Post by mc9457 »

He finished top 8 at FreedomCon 1 if I remember correctly, and top 8 at FreedomCon 2. Its been a while though.
Its been fun. Thanks guys.

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

mikefrench wrote:and if i'm not wrong, i think that 3/4th placing and this year's 2nd are hunter's only real accomplishments at worlds. he was kinda renowned for doing well at non-east coast dpc's and regionals and then choking at worlds.
Oh - and he also managed to win more games of SWCCG than anyone else ever won.

The whole "never left Colorado" thing is quite an old argument and once he did travel he more than held his own. Short of winning worlds, I think he managed to win everything else and over the course of like 2-3 years lost some tiny number of actual games.

Give the guy his credit -- after not playing for 2 years, he shows up and dominates worlds losing in the final by 2 cards. Additionally, he posted all his decks on decktech back in the day, and they were copied all over the place because of their simplistic nature...yet no one could pilot them to the record he put together.

CategoryOneGames.com

For sure, the guy has done a lot in this game. No one else went undefeated Thursday or Day 2, so he did something no one else could this year. He also rode it all the way to 2nd so he had a amazing year figuring that he hasn't played in events in 2 years.

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

Brian had a great showing and deserves props for playing as well as he did. In fact the same is true for Brian Fred, Steven Lewis, and Brian Rippetoe all coming back after a hiatus.

Also major congratulations to Nate Meeker for establishing himself as one of the best players in SWCCG.

CategoryOneGames.com

Major props for Ripp and Lewis who didn't have decks built till 3AM and had very little sleep and most of their crew already taking off when they were playing.

DDM

Post by DDM »

Props to Hunter, indeed.
He is a nice guy too. Like all TO members I met again this year.
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

Props to DDM for being a classy opponent, and coming up with some really obscure designs. I don't know how some of you guys come up with this stuff.

CategoryOneGames.com

Pistone, you should see the other 14 or so decks DDM brought. Holly Crud man, I can't believe how wierd some they are and how they still win. Some of the decks Danny Pack and I would just pull out and play and either we would have no idea what was going on or the deck would blow our minds.

MrPurple
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by MrPurple »

Hunter is a nice guy, and a good player. He's always up there. Like the cubs say, maybe next year.
Matt Sokol

Thomas Caspersen

Re: Brian Hunter = Buffalo Bills

Post by Thomas Caspersen »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:Well it looks like Brian Hunter has pushed Steven Lewis's name out of the all time #2 finisher in the game. Hunter was so close both times . If he had actually gone to 2005 and lost in the finals, it really would have been the Buffalo Bills.
Michael Riboulet and Greg Shaw are the only two players who's played in more than one final at Worlds.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Mr. Purple wrote:Hunter is a nice guy, and a good player. He's always up there. Like the cubs say, maybe next year.
Agreed. In fact he remembered me from a tournament back in Colorado like 7-8 years ago. Good guy, and obviously a great player.
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

choongie
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by choongie »

I was really surprised that he remembered my randomness from an event in AZ years ago...always a pleasant experience to play against him...

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”