Brian Hunter = Buffalo Bills

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

Pistone84 wrote:Brian had a great showing and deserves props for playing as well as he did. In fact the same is true for Brian Fred, Steven Lewis, and Brian Rippetoe all coming back after a hiatus.

Also major congratulations to Nate Meeker for establishing himself as one of the best players in SWCCG.
yeah seeing brian fred work his way back up to the top was impressive as he11. i don't think he had really been practicing up until about two weeks before worlds, he started talking to me on IM about ISB sunsdown decks =)

ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

mikefrench wrote:and if i'm not wrong, i think that 3/4th placing and this year's 2nd are hunter's only real accomplishments at worlds. he was kinda renowned for doing well at non-east coast dpc's and regionals and then choking at worlds.
For the sake of accuracy, I was top 4 at Worlds in 2001, when Bastian knocked me out of the semi-final en route to the title. I was top 4 in 2004, when Brandon knocked me out of the semi-final en route to the title. And 2nd in 2006, when Nate Meeker knocked me out of the final en route to the title. In my other two appearances at worlds, I finished 5-3, good enough for top 12, but not good enough for Day 3 (as they cut to only top 8 in those 2 years, not top 12)

Mike Carr also mentioned me being top 8 at Fcon 2. He is technically correct, as long as 1st place counts as being part of the top 8. But Fcon 2 was more of a "Super DPC" rather than "Worlds".

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

ok i forgot that freedom con 1 was really worlds in disguise.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

Hunter wrote:
mikefrench wrote:and if i'm not wrong, i think that 3/4th placing and this year's 2nd are hunter's only real accomplishments at worlds. he was kinda renowned for doing well at non-east coast dpc's and regionals and then choking at worlds.
For the sake of accuracy, I was top 4 at Worlds in 2001, when Bastian knocked me out of the semi-final en route to the title.
Did FreedomCon officially replace Worlds in 2001? I wonder who makes the call... by my count Matt Sokol still reigned as world champ since many people didn't attend FreedomCon since, well, it wasn't worlds. Not that Bastian isn't one of the best all time players ever, of course, but there is a difference between Worlds and any other tournament.

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

mryellow wrote:
Hunter wrote:
For the sake of accuracy, I was top 4 at Worlds in 2001, when Bastian knocked me out of the semi-final en route to the title.
Did FreedomCon officially replace Worlds in 2001? I wonder who makes the call... by my count Matt Sokol still reigned as world champ since many people didn't attend FreedomCon since, well, it wasn't worlds. Not that Bastian isn't one of the best all time players ever, of course, but there is a difference between Worlds and any other tournament.
Definately counts as Worlds for that year. Officially? well that depends on who you ask.

The prizes were world level, the competition was world level, the event was run smoothly -- which at the time was probably the biggest distinguishing thing making in NOT seem like worlds.

:P

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

mryellow wrote: Did FreedomCon officially replace Worlds in 2001? I wonder who makes the call... by my count Matt Sokol still reigned as world champ since many people didn't attend FreedomCon since, well, it wasn't worlds. Not that Bastian isn't one of the best all time players ever, of course, but there is a difference between Worlds and any other tournament.
Never before have I heard anyone try to insinuate that Bastian is not a "World Champion". Yes, Freedom Con was the 2001 SWCCG World Championship. Look at any list of World Champions, and you'll see Bastian listed for 2001. Never would you see a blank spot for 2001.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

brian hunter is kind of like the undertaker. and not just his long hair

like, he good

really good

he only shows up at pay per views (big tourneys)

and he is one of the top guys, ever

meeker.... is like randy orton. cause he keeps saying rko all the time

mc9457
Anthology
Anthology

Post by mc9457 »

In 2002, FreedomCon was cannonized as Worlds for 2001 by the PC. It was one of their first official actions - to give Bastion a bye into day 2 as a result.
Its been fun. Thanks guys.

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

mc9457 wrote:In 2002, FreedomCon was cannonized as Worlds for 2001 by the PC. It was one of their first official actions - to give Bastion a bye into day 2 as a result.
I never realized that. In my mind, 2001 had no world championship. I had never considered Bastian an official world champion, no, and I certainly wasn't trying to insinuate that - I stated it straight out. Oh well, I guess I stand corrected, officially. It seems a bit odd to me to call a tournament something after-the-fact, like calling a big cash tournament a DPC when it wasn't pegged as a DPC to begin with. After all, tournaments nowadays can be DPCs without having anything to do with the D in DPC. Peculiar.

Not that this line of inquiry has any kind of relevance to anything, just something I considered a bit odd.

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

Hunter wrote:
mryellow wrote: Did FreedomCon officially replace Worlds in 2001? I wonder who makes the call... by my count Matt Sokol still reigned as world champ since many people didn't attend FreedomCon since, well, it wasn't worlds. Not that Bastian isn't one of the best all time players ever, of course, but there is a difference between Worlds and any other tournament.
Never before have I heard anyone try to insinuate that Bastian is not a "World Champion". Yes, Freedom Con was the 2001 SWCCG World Championship. Look at any list of World Champions, and you'll see Bastian listed for 2001. Never would you see a blank spot for 2001.
A bit touchy?

MrPurple
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by MrPurple »

mryellow wrote:
Hunter wrote:
A bit touchy?
In 2002 Bastian and I both got byes into day 2.... so either he was counted as world champ or an 'open' winner. I'll go a head and say he's a world champ too... he's not bad company to hold with us other champs.

However, Chu does make a good point... Worlds is Worlds.... I didn't want to waste the plane ticket money on freedomcon... Although I kinda wish I did now, and being in college; I didn't have the money to go anyways :lol:
Last edited by MrPurple on October 25th, 2006, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Sokol

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Mr. Purple wrote:he's not bad company to hold with us other champs.
I concur.

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”