don't let the dust collect on those deck boxes just yet

October 19th - October 22nd
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
http://www.pastimes.net/
TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

Well this thing started out as an invitational, but I like the idea that Sokol just posted. Something like Saturday is an open. Then on Sunday the top 8 (or 12 or whatever) from the open would play it out match-play style while we ran a 2nd tournament for all the people who didn't make it to Sunday.

As far as a location we haven't really looked into much yet, but there is new store in Cherry Hill we're going to be looking at. NYC may also be an option. I don't know if there's any place we could hold it in Philly.

If we were to do rankings, it would probably be based off of the Fantasy Worlds list, but also include how the people finished at worlds this year, plus likely our own bias.

Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

TacoBill wrote:Well this thing started out as an invitational, but I like the idea that Sokol just posted. Something like Saturday is an open. Then on Sunday the top 8 (or 12 or whatever) from the open would play it out match-play style while we ran a 2nd tournament for all the people who didn't make it to Sunday.
That would also make it worth traveling to for anyone not in the immediate area. Going to play in Match Play and losing round 1 or 2 after only a few games sucks. Getting at least a guaranteed tourney or two in makes it worth it.

-arebelspy

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

Yeah seriously, with such a positive world championship, its seems like basically everyone is looking for more cards, and a chance to play.

For the first time in YEARS I didn't want to sell all of my cards right after the tournament, and thats even after how poorly I did day 3.

I'm actually REALLY looking forward to this event already.

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

CRingwell wrote:I would like to see brackets with double elimination. So you get a bracket of 32 for example with the losers playing in the losers bracket.

You get the winner of both brackets playing (but the winner of the winner's bracket needing 2 matchplay losses to lose).

By the way, is match play a final duel between 2 players?
A true double elimination would take forever.

A loser bracket would be good (everyone garaunteed 2 matches). You could even create a consolotion bracket (everyone who loses in round 2 - from the winners bracket) which garauntees 3 matches for everyone unless you go 0-2 (8 people will go 0-2).

Having played in many double elimination format events (not cards). The problem is that eventually you have people sitting around doing nothing while they wait for their next opponent to be decided. When rounds are 3 hours...that's brutal...and most likely not possible with realisitic time constraints.

Round 1:
Championship: 32
Consolation: 0
Last Chance: 0

Round 2:
Championship: 16
Consolation: 16
Last Chance: 0

Round 3
Championship: 8
Consolation: 8
Last Chance: 8
Out: 8

Round 4
Championship: 4
Consolation: 4
Last Chance: 4
Out: 20

Round 5
Championship: 2
Consolation: 2
Last Chance: 2
Out: 26

Do the first three Round on Saturday. Final 4 players play on Sunday.

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

Pistone84 wrote:Yeah seriously, with such a positive world championship, its seems like basically everyone is looking for more cards, and a chance to play.

For the first time in YEARS I didn't want to sell all of my cards right after the tournament, and thats even after how poorly I did day 3.

That's something I've noticed different about this year/last year; the boards last year quieted down a TON after worlds but it seems the exact opposite this year.

Thomas Caspersen

Post by Thomas Caspersen »

_maul wrote:
Pistone84 wrote:Yeah seriously, with such a positive world championship, its seems like basically everyone is looking for more cards, and a chance to play.

That's something I've noticed different about this year/last year; the boards last year quieted down a TON after worlds but it seems the exact opposite this year.
It sure looks like Worlds boosted most peoples interest in this game. Even if not everything is 100%, it still sounds like most of the players are at least 90% satisfied.
Last year was very very different.

Looks like 2007 will be a very good year for SWCCG also :D

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

If worlds could boost MY interest for the game, I'm pretty sure it did for most people. You have no idea how stale this game was getting for me. I figured I'd done the worlds route enough times by now that it was just going to continually mean less and less to me, but its not the case at all, for many reasons.

1. The people are still great
2. The meta has evolved to be very diverse, and less abusive
3. The skill seems to be coming back
4. The return of older players, giving us newer players a chance to prove ourselves
5. Better competition
6. Carr and Anderson ran a phenomenal tournament
7. The PC and everyone seem to be more receptive to each others ideas
8. People were nice to each other, instead of all the typical and expected bickering
9. Worlds was at a small venue, instead of a giant convention. This made it a much better atmosphere, and as far as I know, everyone said this was the most inexpensive trip to worlds they've had.

Kudos to everyone involved!

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

Any tentative dates set for this? I'll come up (back) for this if I can.

lawtalkingguy
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by lawtalkingguy »

Pistone84 wrote:6. Carr and Anderson ran a phenomenal tournament
9. Worlds was at a small venue, instead of a giant convention. This made it a much better atmosphere, and as far as I know, everyone said this was the most inexpensive trip to worlds they've had.
These two are huge factors and I am Qing them FT from you.

Carr caught a non-stop wheelbarrow full of manure from us for the amazingly twisted mess of actually getting Worlds scheduled and confirmed. But the way that tournament was run, he and Greg came out of it smelling like roses anyway. I think that's a signal for all of us that the advocates really do care about doing things right and they deserved a great deal more latitude than we gave them. I think from here going forward, it would be appropriate for us to extend them that latitude.

The cost wasn't bad either. My total out-of-pocket for flight plus hotel, thursday night through monday morning, was $310. For Phoenix to Chicago, that sort of cost is just phenomenally low. I've only had one cheaper trip of comparable duration, and it passed through Utah, where nobody wants to go anyway. I have no idea how they pulled it off, but Pastimes + Niles + Hilton North Brook + October = "the win"

Ghent
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by Ghent »

If this goes down in NYC, I'll be at it.
The two day open/consolation format sounds best to me (I'm being realistic as I am a scrub and lacking 99% of my cards to build decks with).
The fact I designed Deep Hatred (v) shows that anyone has a chance to win a v-card design. Anyone.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

any chance we get worlds in the summer next year? its easier on us college kids, and since the old timers got it in the fall this year (easier for them), i think we should have a summer worlds

IN LAS VEGAS

or pastimes. :wink:
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Brad Eier wrote:any chance we get worlds in the summer next year? its easier on us college kids, and since the old timers got it in the fall this year (easier for them), i think we should have a summer worlds

IN LAS VEGAS

That was brought up at the end of the consolation tourney when Carr was talking about what was ahead for the next year. I think a summer worlds can be expected, and I hope so. Those of us from the South don't like the cold of the north during these wintery months.

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

lawtalkingguy wrote: I've only had one cheaper trip of comparable duration, and it passed through Utah, where nobody wants to go anyway.
A tear just rolled down my face. sad

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Brad Eier wrote:any chance we get worlds in the summer next year? its easier on us college kids, and since the old timers got it in the fall this year (easier for them), i think we should have a summer worlds

IN LAS VEGAS

Look for something in Vegas early next year. I've talked to the AZ players about this and we both would love to pull something off. We need to get some contacts though in Vegas as well as a store to be able to do it. If anyone has info that would with this, pm me.

lawtalkingguy
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by lawtalkingguy »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:
lawtalkingguy wrote: I've only had one cheaper trip of comparable duration, and it passed through Utah, where nobody wants to go anyway.
A tear just rolled down my face. sad
You do know it was semi-tongue-in-cheek right?

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

Asphalizo wrote: Those of us from the South don't like the cold of the north during these wintery months.
Cold? :P Cold is below 0, snowing, with a 20 mph wind and a -30 wind chill 8)

Regarding worlds, YES have it in the summer. I know of at least 4 people who would have attended a summer worlds but couldn't due to school conflicts off the top of my head (assuming that the two missing TO people would have).

bluethrawn
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by bluethrawn »

_maul wrote:Regarding worlds, YES have it in the summer.
Late summer is definitely ideal. Late spring and early/mid summer are needed for the majority of qualifier events, and SWCCG should ride that momentum into its biggest weekend of the year.

choongie
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by choongie »

Vegas is something that we're definitely considering...and since AZ is so close, it will probably be one of us running the show. All we need to do is find a good venue and the rest is golden. For those of you who haven't been to a Vegas tournament, you're really, REALLY missing out on a fun weekend! SW:CCG + Hold'Em = :D

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

_maul wrote:
Asphalizo wrote: Those of us from the South don't like the cold of the north during these wintery months.
Cold? :P Cold is below 0, snowing, with a 20 mph wind and a -30 wind chill 8)

Regarding worlds, YES have it in the summer. I know of at least 4 people who would have attended a summer worlds but couldn't due to school conflicts off the top of my head (assuming that the two missing TO people would have).
Yes I know what cold is! I lived up there the past 5 years and I don't like going up there during this time of year. I'd rather spend my winters in jeans in a t-shirt or maybe even shorts.

bluethrawn
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by bluethrawn »

Asphalizo wrote:I'd rather spend my winters in jeans
What do you think we wear? Snowpants?

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”