Post by Lord Helmet »

Oops.

Bryan Batdorf
Founder of Team Stephenville, a subsidiary of Team Texas
Recent 4-4 at my first Worlds! I RULE.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Schele wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:brandon, did i remember hearing you were an ME major? what kind of job do you do?

i'm getting my bachelor's in ME in the spring and i have no idea what i'm going to do with it...just curious
Yeah, I'm an ME. I'm a product engineer. I do a lot of 2d and 3d modeling and prints for machining, along with answering technical questions for customers and sales guys.

Just get out there, apply to as many jobs as you can, and find something that interests you. I'm going to warn you that larger corporations will generally pay you salary and then expect 55-60 hours from you a week(i.e. Caterpillar). I work for a smaller company, where I show up at 8am and leave at 5pm Mon-Fri, with an hour lunch, and I don't have to make up sick days or any time I have to miss due to appointments and such.
All depends on what you want in life.

Bigger companies = bigger opportunities.

Sure, you can find jobs that are time-clock punching like yours instead of salary, but it all comes down to how big you want your salary to be.

It also is about whether you love what you do. I probably work 60-70 hours a week, but look at my job like I look at anything else - if I enjoy it, then the time spent is great.

Think about it this way - do you play swccg only during a set number of hours? Or do you play and think about it whenever you want to because you enjoy it?

Who wants a time clock job - they go no where. Get a job where you get to make some decisions and have some fun - and can build into bigger opportunities. You think any busines leaders - those who make in the mid 6 figures and way up - that any of them work punching a time clock? They also enjoy what they do so it doesn't seem like work....

You are a smart guy Brandon, and having a time clock job at 26 or however old you are, may be great, but that same job is going to be dismal at 45...when you are paying for a mortage and kids...
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

I'm salary for one. And I know advancement is mainly for larger companies, but coming out of school, starting off in engineering, the last thing you want is a job where you work 60+ hours a week while dealing with the transition from school to working world. Don't get me wrong, I'll start applying to larger companies after getting a few years of experience in here(experience is your biggest ally in the world of engineering), but starting off out of school this was a great choice. Low stress, not extremely demanding, enjoyable... It's not like I'm going to advance anywhere in the first place right out of school. Like I said, you start by building experience and branch out from there.

But for now, I'm only 23. I've been out of school for less than a year, and I'm just building my resume for when I make a real run at working elsewhere, which is probably a year or two down the road(if that).

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

mserisman wrote:You are a smart guy Brandon, and having a time clock job at 26 or however old you are, may be great, but that same job is going to be dismal at 45...when you are paying for a mortage and kids...
You can reply too, but he doesn't have a time clock. The 8-5 is for reference not for clocking purposes.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Schele wrote:I'm salary for one. And I know advancement is mainly for larger companies, but coming out of school, starting off in engineering, the last thing you want is a job where you work 60+ hours a week while dealing with the transition from school to working world. Don't get me wrong, I'll start applying to larger companies after getting a few years of experience in here(experience is your biggest ally in the world of engineering), but starting off out of school this was a great choice. Low stress, not extremely demanding, enjoyable... It's not like I'm going to advance anywhere in the first place right out of school. Like I said, you start by building experience and branch out from there.

But for now, I'm only 23. I've been out of school for less than a year, and I'm just building my resume for when I make a real run at working elsewhere, which is probably a year or two down the road(if that).
Good plan!

Keep me posted when you want to start branching out - its all about networking :)
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

I haven't looked at it yet. Can I go on making comments about it without looking it over? It's more fun criticising it that way.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

lawtalkingguy
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by lawtalkingguy »

mserisman wrote:Who wants a time clock job - they go no where. Get a job where you get to make some decisions and have some fun - and can build into bigger opportunities. You think any busines leaders - those who make in the mid 6 figures and way up - that any of them work punching a time clock?
Ain't that the truth. People working a job, completing tasks for a wage, they punch clocks. People in a profession, making decisions and producing results, are compensated more appropriately.

Kizakh
LS Region: Endor
LS Region: Endor

Post by Kizakh »

My entry level civil engineering job is currently paid hourly, which works for me. If I work overtime (and I usually do), I get paid overtime. The other engineer in the office (a PE) is salaried with some compensation for OT, and he kind of wishes he was paid by the hour.

I'll agree with the previous statements that being happy with your work is of primary importance. I like my job, my coworkers, and my location. I may never have dozens of people working under me (as I'm in a small company), but I'm happy.

So, on topic, the bounty deck is pretty slick.
Regis Michelena, Team Wyoming
These power converters are awesome!

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

mserisman wrote:Who wants a time clock job - they go no where. Get a job where you get to make some decisions and have some fun - and can build into bigger opportunities. You think any busines leaders - those who make in the mid 6 figures and way up - that any of them work punching a time clock?
While not punching a time clock they rarely have free time. And nonetheless they can get 20+ years for bad booking, see Enron. :)
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Yoda007 wrote:
While not punching a time clock they rarely have free time. And nonetheless they can get 20+ years for bad booking, see Enron. :)
Kind of silly to pin the poor behavior of a few on the masses. Besides, all the executives I work with in Europe all take like 6 weeks of vacation a year....

In the US everyone works too much. No doubt.

Return to “[FY06] Worlds Weekend 2006”