October 4th - October 7th
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
pastimes.net
Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Flying to Worlds?

Post by Asphalizo »

So...Your flying to Worlds 2008. Maybe you haven't flown before. Maybe you haven't flown in a while. Maybe you just don't fly a lot. I don't fly as much as I used to but I've probably flown more than your average American. So, I compiled a flying/airport guide for a friend and now I'm making it available to you. If anyone has an suggestions feel free post them and I'll add them in appropriately.

PS Brad if you can make this a sticky or an announcement it would be much appreciated.

Preparation for flight.

Have your Driver's License ready and accessible.

Wear easy to take off and put on shoes if possible. You'll be taking them off to go thru security.

Don't wear anything metal if you don't have to.

Arriving at the airport.

Get to the airport at least 2hrs to 1 hr and 30 minutes before your flight.

If you get there early enough you'll get asked about seat designation. Take either aisle or window. Take window if you like flying and don't do it a lot. If you take aisle and there are 2 people next to you, you'll be having stuff handed over you or having to get up so they can go to the bathroom.

Do not drink anything right before getting on the plane and try to go to the restroom before you board the plane. Going to the bathroom is very troublesome on a plane.

Find your gate and stay by it. When they call for the first person to board go ahead and get up and stand around the line. When they call your row you'll be one of the first on.

Getting on the plane

If you want more leg room and the flight isn't very packed tell the Stewardess that you will volunteer for the Emergency exit rows. All that means is that in case of an emergency you are kinda like the additional help to the stewardess'. Read over the emergency manual and assure the stewardess of your competence. The emergency exit rows have a lot more leg room than any other seats in economy class. This has saved me from a toddler or other nuisance quite a few times. I've also been told that these seats are left open when people book flights so that the airline can feel them with able bodied people as the passengers file on.

If you have a carry-on try to bring a bag that you can stow below the seat in front of you. If you put them in the over head bins they'll be stuck there the rest of the flight and its a nuisance before and after you get out of your seat.

Flying

If you can, sleep on the plane. It'll make the trip go by faster and anything you try to do on the flight besides reading or playing a hand held video game device will be hard.

Bring a book or hand held device (Gameboy Advance, DS, or if you have to a PSP). RPGs and puzzle games are best for these types of trips (Meteos, Tetris, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Brain Age, etc...)

Keep your legs out of the aisle otherwise they'll get hit by people or beverage carts.

Some sort of portable music device is handy to block out unwanted sounds (babies crying, loud guy behind you, engine noise, etc...).

After your done with the flight

If your not in a hurry and the plane isn't that big you could just stay seated til most everyone gets off. Naturally if you are not in a window seat than this could be a problem.

When you get off the plane find your baggage claim location, but unless your in a hurry don't crowd around the thing. It'll take a while for the bags to start going.

Thats about it. I hope this helps. I'm going to be at O'Hare a lot on Wednesday, so if you are flying in look for a me in the baggage claim area. I'll be wearing either a black t-shirt or hooded sweatshirt with my screenname on the back and the Team Stephenville Worlds 07' logo on the front.

simone89
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by simone89 »

If anyone is flying though ATL let me know.

I work in the airport and want to throw down some cards on a layover let me know!!!!!

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Just curious, but how often do most people around here fly? I usually fly somewhere around 10 round trips a year (this year I'm flying 9 total but all in June or later), but a lot of these are usually 1 or 2 day things up and down the east coast. Flying home from school is only $120 round trip so I do that a lot.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Yeah, I fly a bunch too, either home (San Diego to Oakland), or to cons, etc in summer.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

hmm i never thought about volunteering for the emergency exit rows. more legroom, and if there's actually an emergency, 10-1 you'll die before you know it anyway. win-win.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

Shadow 13 wrote:hmm i never thought about volunteering for the emergency exit rows. more legroom, and if there's actually an emergency, 10-1 you'll die before you know it anyway. win-win.
Yeah, I was flying to back from Chicago last summer and I was seated next to a couple with a 2 year-old. We had just sat down and I was playing my DS and the 2 year-old kept grabbing at it trying to see it. Luckily, the stewardess came up and asked me if I would like to sit in the emergency exit row. I was like "heck yeah". She asked me if I understood the emergency material and I politely said "yes" even though I was thinking "does it really matter." If I fly from Texas to Chicago I'm flying over land the whole way if an emergency arises more than likely I'll be big crash site in Nebraska.

NateA
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by NateA »

I am thinking I'll be able to go (I'm really excited to hit the main stream tourney scene), but I'll be taking a train. How sweet is that?

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

NateA wrote:I am thinking I'll be able to go (I'm really excited to hit the main stream tourney scene), but I'll be taking a train. How sweet is that?
Ha, what is peoples deal with taking the train. Blake (Anodos) is taking the train from Austin to Chicago, too.

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jimli »

spideyguy0 wrote:Just curious, but how often do most people around here fly? I usually fly somewhere around 10 round trips a year (this year I'm flying 9 total but all in June or later), but a lot of these are usually 1 or 2 day things up and down the east coast. Flying home from school is only $120 round trip so I do that a lot.
was 9k frequent flyer miles away from getting platinum on northwest last year :-(

too bad it's on such a crappy airline, miles were nice tho', got my parents a pair of tickets to paris recently.

Return to “[FY07] Worlds Weekend 2007”