October 4th - October 7th
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
pastimes.net
WampaX
Booster Box
Booster Box

Worlds Highlights & Observations

Post by WampaX »

On the way to the Event Site, right behind an accident. (Cops were arriving on the scene as we were pulling up to it)

On the way back to the Hotel after the event, witnessed an accident. (At least 4 Cop Cars were on the scene in less than 2 mins)

Got lost trying to get back to my hotel after dropping of Hunter, David and Nate at another hotel. Traveled through some interesting parts of Chicago . . . parts that I probably should not have been in at night (traffic stop had two cops in vests get out).

I saw a lot of Chicago Cops today.

Help the proofing team save the majestic MOOSE. Please, give generously to help save these fantastic creatures.
http://www.swccgpc.com/forums/lwdonate.php

WampaX
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by WampaX »

Doing this without tournament software is . . . a process.
A long and laborious process.

Nate's been sorta helpful. When we check each others work, we do a good job, when we try and go solo on the simple math, the numbers inevitably go wonky.
Help the proofing team save the majestic MOOSE. Please, give generously to help save these fantastic creatures.
http://www.swccgpc.com/forums/lwdonate.php

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

I thought it was run real smoothly. Messups are inevitable. Software would speed things along nicely.

Sorry about the messy handwriting...

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Thanks Henry for running it all. It really is appreciated.

It was cool meeting you too.

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

mryellow wrote:I thought it was run real smoothly. Messups are inevitable. Software would speed things along nicely.

Some more PC presence would have been nice. One advocate for a 43 person tournament? ooookaay...

Huge props to Henry for running the whole thing as smoothly as it was, and to Nate for essentially giving up his day 2 bye to help out with running the event.
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Luke's Bionic Hand wrote:
mryellow wrote:I thought it was run real smoothly. Messups are inevitable. Software would speed things along nicely.

Some more PC presence would have been nice. One advocate for a 43 person tournament? ooookaay...

Huge props to Henry for running the whole thing as smoothly as it was, and to Nate for essentially giving up his day 2 bye to help out with running the event.
I thought the whole reason we were told it was in October was so that more advocates could be there, if I'm not mistaken, we were told that 4 would be there at worlds and the October date was the one that best help get those 4 advocates there.

If we only had 1 advocate show (I don't know, but reading from this above quote makes it sound like it) then we could have had it earlier in the year or at a different date.

What happened to those 3 other guys?

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:What happened to those 3 other guys?
one isn't an advocate anymore...

Terron
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by Terron »

Henry was basically awesome. He basically spent the whole time running two tournaments at once and never lost his cool. Props to Nate for helping out. I'm sure Henry needed it.
Lee "Terron" Edwards - ... Who? Sorry, that name doesn't really ring a bell. Is he supposed to be somebody important?

Sonn
Design Advocate

Post by Sonn »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:

I thought the whole reason we were told it was in October was so that more advocates could be there, if I'm not mistaken, we were told that 4 would be there at worlds and the October date was the one that best help get those 4 advocates there.

If we only had 1 advocate show (I don't know, but reading from this above quote makes it sound like it) then we could have had it earlier in the year or at a different date.

I had planned to attend, but I came down with pneumonia. I know that sounds implausible, but the guys on hidden boards have listened to me * about it for a while now. I had some recent complications with it and the doctor made it clear that either staying in a motel room or being around large groups of strangers could land me in the hospital, so doing something that required both was out of the question.

Obviously there will be a greater advocate presence next year. We're happy, though, that Henry and Nate were able to deliver a good Worlds experience.
Chuck Sonnenburg

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

CategoryOneGames.com wrote:

I had a business trip that took me out of town, otherwise I would have been there easily.
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

Considering that the majority of the complaining about worlds is regarding ONE game in total, I have to say this must have been absolutely flawlessly run.

No one has found anything to complain about yet? Wow. I'm impressed.

Good work.

CategoryOneGames.com

From what I've heard, the event went well and Henry did a good job and Nate helped a ton, so major props to them.

It's just funny to me because the major fight when worlds dates were announced was that it was in October again, the reason being is so that 4 advocates could be there instead of Mike Carr/Henry by themselves running the event. It was so that 4 guys could help and really represent the PC.

The player vote showed that earlier than October worked, but the 4 advocates at the event was bigger than the overall player wishes.

While I can't debate that the number of people at Worlds has gone up from last year (maybe it's because of a better set date, a lot sooner than it was in 2006 when the date switched half way in planning to not include Sunday and it came a lot later in the year than 2007's date was given) so more people were able to prepare for it and schedule time off.

So it's good that the amount of people showing up is a lot better, even though it's later in the year.

But if the players still wanted it earlier in 2008, would the PC listen, and would the excuse for October still be 4 advocates?

Also, would Chu have been champ last year in a field that didn't has as many top names as this year did? If he had only shown, he might be 3 times world champ.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

It seems the "foil" hysteria pre-worlds was overblown.
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

mserisman wrote:It seems the "foil" hysteria pre-worlds was overblown.
From what I have read - Henry allowed unlimited proxies and allowed people to keep the cards hidden until they were on the table.

I think those "hysterical" people just wanted that as a solution.

CategoryOneGames.com

Also - Sonn - That sucks man, hope you get better.

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

Not really, because everyone I know bent over backwards to remove anything even remotely questionable from their decks, which in many cases involved removing just about every foil. That there were no major issues with the ruling doesn't change the fact that it was a poorly conceived and poorly implemented in the days before worlds.
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Not really, because everyone I know bent over backwards to remove anything even remotely questionable from their decks, which in many cases involved removing just about every foil. That there were no major issues with the ruling doesn't change the fact that it was a poorly conceived and poorly implemented in the days before worlds.
So you are saying that "bending over backwards to remove anything even remotely questionable" is a bad thing?

It sounds like the result was exactly as intended - ensure integrity by making a ruling that specifically does not allow warped or marked cards. Hardly a bad thing in my opinion.

Agreed that the ruling should have come out much sooner!!

I have hundreds upon hundreds of foils that are not warped or bent in any way, and so does most everyone who plays this game with any regularity. I also suspect that with the intellect of those who play the game a method of flattening cards one wants to play with in an official tournament will be quickly discovered. :wink:

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

mserisman wrote: ... and so does most everyone who plays this game with any regularity.
I don't believe that's true at all.
mserisman wrote: I also suspect that with the intellect of those who play the game a method of flattening cards one wants to play with in an official tournament will be quickly discovered.
I hope they share, because so far everything I've heard either 1) doesn't work, or 2) damages the cards.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Here is how it works - at least for me. (even with the horrible Ref II cutsheet cards).

Pull out a trade binder, or some other binder. Put 3-4 of the warped foils in back to back (3 facing one way, 3 facing the other) into a standard 9 card plastic binder sheet.

Drop binder sheet in middle of your binder. Put binder on bookshelf wedged in as tight as it will go. You need a very full binder of sheets to do this.

When you want to play a card, pull one out from the binder, put in sleeve, put card in deckholder, cram tight with commons. Go play.

Worst case, the card will stay flat for a few hours even in a humid area. Then either keep cards wedged tightly in your deck boxes or binder as noted above when not in use.

Over months and even years, you will find your foils to be absolutely as flat as any other card - even Endor foils. I mean in reality there is no reason to store them any differently, so we are just talking about time and pressure.

But then again this is pretty obvious isn't it?

DougRed4
Historical Advocate

Post by DougRed4 »

I've personally never really had any problems with SWCCG foils, and the only ones that were obnoxiously bent and curled were the Endor ones (like Ewok Glider, or whatever) and I've never used any of them.

Young Jedi cards were the worst (they seemed to have a foil process similar to that of Endor) and I just put them in a 10,000 count box back to back and packed in tight with other cards. Over time they seemed to straighten a bit.
Doug Taylor
Red 4
Star Wars CCG Player Advocate
Card Design

Return to “[FY07] Worlds Weekend 2007”