[Day 2] Worlds

October 4th - October 7th
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
pastimes.net
XjedeyeX
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by XjedeyeX »

im not sure how you are supposed to have someone else's thoughts or someone else's feelings or how that somehow makes you more objective.

so far none of the arguments here have been strictly objective, even the ones i agree with

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Here's what I think should happen:

Fear at this points needs a good counter. It needs a shield that caps damage at 2, and somehow adds to deploy cost of star destroyers or soemthing.

Ds capturing decks need a counter as well. Lando + hidden weapons + fett doesn;t take much skill people. I know everyone likes to say that AOBS takes a ton of skill to play and yeah it does, but it capitilizes on a pretty easy to play broken concept.

Id suggest something like:

5 destiny used interupt immune to sense. Target ls character of ability >4 cannot be captured this turn. Cancel overload.

I think I don't need their scum either was supposed to do this but it didnt really accomplihs this.

ds needs a scrambled transmission.

and lastly: the next v set needs to have some powerful cards in it. something to shake up the meta, something that will really cause new deck types to come about that can beat the old ones. I mean in the old days when decipher made the cards, whenever there was some sort of abusive strategy out there sure they generally made counters for it, but most of teh time they just made more powerful cards to offset the old ones. Here's a few suggestions.

DS kryat dragon howl. dark jedi at a site.

ls destiny adders that are on par with the darkside ones. How about add a destiny when your jedi is fighting theirs. 2 if its obi and maul? Or add a destiny if your jedi is fighting an alien of ability < 4.

ds smoke screen.

ds resilance

ds jedi levitation

ls tallon roll. would solve a ton of problems with mauls ship zimh etc. make it harder to pull off though. maybe han luke or wedge stamped.

i dunno...i just think the game needs a shakeup.

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

Hunter wrote:"Elis, Beatdown, GG."
I call for the immediate errata of Elis/Nabrun. I can't think of two cards that are more stupid and have effected the construction of opposing decks for so long.

They were kept in check when docking bays were all the rage - but with the shifts from those as starting effects...these cards are too strong.

You want to complain about 3 deploy 8 power cards...how about dropping 40 power on an unsuspecting person for 1 force? They really allow you to play without the skill of worrying where to deploy ... you can just drop everything in some safe place and then relocate them anywhere you want - they are an auto-play and often result in the immediate end of the game because of the damage they provide.

:) I joke...but I also agree with everything I have written here.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

ha ha funny evan. =)

in complete honesty, elis and nabrun are scrub killers. not amazing vs good players though.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

XjedeyeX
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by XjedeyeX »

err.

honestly i think we have gotten to the point now where any deck that wins gets complained about.

granted fear may be the last bastion of overpowered pre redux CRAP.

but

the rest of the stuff i have seen complained about here can easily be beaten in the current meta and easily meta-ed against (including LS senate and AOBS), and those 2 decks are not overpowered at all, are not autoplay at all, and are not incredibly fast and impossible to stop.

the more we waste time complaining about stuff that doesn't deserve it, the less it means when you complain about something that does.

jawa_knight
LS Region: Mon Calamari
LS Region: Mon Calamari

Post by jawa_knight »

XjedeyeX wrote:err.

honestly i think we have gotten to the point now where any deck that wins gets complained about.

granted fear may be the last bastion of overpowered pre redux CRAP.

but

the rest of the stuff i have seen complained about here can easily be beaten in the current meta and easily meta-ed against (including LS senate and AOBS), and those 2 decks are not overpowered at all, are not autoplay at all, and are not incredibly fast and impossible to stop.

the more we waste time complaining about stuff that doesn't deserve it, the less it means when you complain about something that does.
What he said.

band_member
DS Region: Bespin

Post by band_member »

Fear not a skill deck? From what I heard of Hunter's games, it sounds like he did at least a couple of pretty cool moves, like Set For Stun on Han when Han's Toolkit (v) was on table to allow the Fear damage to go through and then doing it 3 or 4 more times in a row?
Maybe you guys do that in every game though but I thought that sounded pretty neat.
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

XjedeyeX
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by XjedeyeX »

playing with a deck that doesn't require skill to be good doesnt mean some games will not require skill for you to win.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

btw the reason AOBS was so good was because every LS player realized about a month ago that his reactive mains deck was an auto-loss to fear, and took out the cards that naturally allowed it to beat AOBS so he could pack 6-10x imp atrocity V, advantage, and IHSA.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

PhataLerror
LS Region: Alderaan
LS Region: Alderaan

Post by PhataLerror »

band_member wrote:Fear not a skill deck? From what I heard of Hunter's games, it sounds like he did at least a couple of pretty cool moves, like Set For Stun on Han when Han's Toolkit (v) was on table to allow the Fear damage to go through and then doing it 3 or 4 more times in a row?
Maybe you guys do that in every game though but I thought that sounded pretty neat.
I just play Turn It Off! Turn It Off! for free (without tracking anything) and bury Han's Toolkit (V) with my control phase damage of 10-14. Nothing about tracking a 4 makes SYCFeAr a skill deck.
XjedeyeX wrote:i would like to point out that none of you have addressed phatal's actual arguments. Nothing ANY of you have said directly addresses any of his points or even would have required you to read his post in the first place.

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

band_member wrote:Maybe you guys do that in every game though but I thought that sounded pretty neat.
Meh...I do that every game. I'm not impressed. Now eating Hunter's Leia, Rebel Princess with the Sarlacc that was impressive. Silly Steven Lewis, he didn't even know what the flip side of Court did (but then again neither did I, but I wasn't playing the deck, LOL)

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

All this talk

Post by MasterJediAdam »

I may be way out of my league in commenting in this discussion, but I feel that any discussion about how powerful/broken/playable a deck is should be done somewhere else.

Worlds 2007 was my first experience with such a high level of competition. To be frank, to hear all the squabbling tarnishes the memory of the weekend I enjoyed playing.
ImageImage

XjedeyeX
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Re: All this talk

Post by XjedeyeX »

MasterJediAdam wrote:I may be way out of my league in commenting in this discussion, but I feel that any discussion about how powerful/broken/playable a deck is should be done somewhere else.

Worlds 2007 was my first experience with such a high level of competition. To be frank, to hear all the squabbling tarnishes the memory of the weekend I enjoyed playing.
squabbling is half the fun though

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

XjedeyeX wrote:
MasterJediAdam wrote:I may be way out of my league in commenting in this discussion, but I feel that any discussion about how powerful/broken/playable a deck is should be done somewhere else.

squabbling is half the fun though
No, it is NOT. AGAIN, you're just WRONG. I don't know where you come up with this crap!! Squabbling is 94% of the fun!

band_member

Post by band_member »

I think that's some people's goal, to tarnish the weekend. Maybe they don't intend it to be that way. They try to imply that Fear tarnished the weekend or LS Senate tarnished the weekend or somebody's alleged cheating or Foils tarnished the weekend. There's always a few rotten apples who try to tear down anything positive. The truth is that it was fun and worlds was good. I hope it was fun and good for everyone else as well. Worlds was a positive experience and not everyone played all their games against the same broken decks. The stories that come out of worlds should be positive stories that make the people that didn't come, want to come. The quality of play, the unleashing of new decks, meeting old and new friends, watching Team Ohio embarass themselves, etc are all positive things that make worlds fun. I think Worlds is something that people should look forward to because it is fun. But the negativity about Fear and cheating makes Worlds look stupid and probably turns people off.
It's a shame that people can turn something so positive into a negative.
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

swccg players love to whine, complain and attack.

Personally I had a great time this weekend. Obviously playing well likely had something to do with that, but the fact remains.

Bottom line is you had to be prepared for all the decks, no matter how broken they were. you make your provisions and you deal with it. Out of all the 'broken decks' being discussed, out of the top 8 (sixteen decks) fear was represented once, light senate twice, and agents once. If decks were "broken," surely there would have been more representation of each.

I think what we need to focus on is the meta as the game moves forward. What can we do to allow this game to evolve and grow is what we should be addressing, rather than bickering over events that happened.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

deck104 wrote:swccg players love to whine, complain and attack.

Personally I had a great time this weekend. Obviously playing well likely had something to do with that, but the fact remains.

Bottom line is you had to be prepared for all the decks, no matter how broken they were. you make your provisions and you deal with it. Out of all the 'broken decks' being discussed, out of the top 8 (sixteen decks) fear was represented once, light senate twice, and agents once. If decks were "broken," surely there would have been more representation of each.

I think what we need to focus on is the meta as the game moves forward. What can we do to allow this game to evolve and grow is what we should be addressing, rather than bickering over events that happened.
mike gemme for mayor

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

mryellow wrote:
deck104 wrote:swccg players love to whine, complain and attack.

mike gemme for mayor
secronded, but mike gemme for Assistant to Emperor Lingrell

deck
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

haha I would totally try and get on the PC if not for the fact that I'm not allowed to play in big events =(
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

deck104 wrote:haha I would totally try and get on the PC if not for the fact that I'm not allowed to play in big events =(
Yeah, I think thats the biggest obstacle for a lot of people. Being an advocate means that you love the game just as much as everyone else, but that you don't get to compete like everyone else.

Return to “[FY07] Worlds Weekend 2007”