[Day 3] Worlds

October 4th - October 7th
PasTimes; 8351 1/2 Golf Road; Niles, Illinois 60714
pastimes.net
mryellow
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 2252
Joined: February 17th, 2005, 11:20 am

Post by mryellow »

band_member wrote:Do you know anything? Day 2 of worlds has NOT eluded Hunter. He's gotten through Day 2 every year as far as I know
Except 2003
band_member wrote: If Fear was his unstoppable deck, wouldn't he use it Day 3 so he can guarantee himself the World Champion title? Wouldn't a broken deck go 4 and 0 for everyone?
Fear is not broken. It is simply overpowered. It overpowers the meta. A deck should not be able to win a game of SWCCG by never battling or force draining. You could do it pre-shields, but isn't that what shields were meant to stop? Plus, the deck can do this setting up often by turn 2 and often doing 4-6-8 damage then, or at most by turn 3.

And ISDs are power 8, forfeit 9, draw battle destiny if not able to otherwise and cost 3 to deploy.

I should copy/paste my reply to every Fear post that says Fear is not overpowered.

BTW, did I mention ISDs cost 3 and you get a power 8, forfeit 9 card that draws battle destiny if not able to otherwise? What happened to the redux?



User avatar
Hunter
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 14816
Joined: February 10th, 2003, 3:27 am

Post by Hunter »

Jim Jerriko wrote:Yep, that's the one:
"If Fear was his unstoppable deck, wouldn't he use it Day 3 "
This is just simple logic. If I have a deck that was unstoppable, then of course I would play it on Day 3. I don't see how anyone could construe that to mean "Hunter is not playing Fear on Day 3." It doesn't say anything like that, and as I already stated, there would be no way for Raveling to know on Day 2 what I was using for Day 3. I hadn't even picked a dark deck myself yet.

User avatar
Hunter
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 14816
Joined: February 10th, 2003, 3:27 am

Post by Hunter »

Archmage wrote:
Hunter wrote:Nobody really has a right to comment on that game but myself, and Steven. .
Yes, people do have this right.
If you say so. He and I were the only 2 people to see the game in its entirety. The only other person who saw a decent portion of it shouldn't have, since he was also in the same tournament, and was actively violating the scouting rules (I of course said nothing, since I'm the person who shuts up and plays, instead of complaining about everything I can think of, at all times.) When I said we are the only two that can comment on the game, I was thinking in terms of "comment" meaning "say something about what happened in the game." We're the only ones who know what happened in the game. If by "comment" you mean "make guesses about what we think might have happened in the game" then okay.
Archmage wrote: Second I believe that you bring FEAR to Worlds does indicate that you believe it is a string deck. I think it is embarrassing to the PC that after claim it was unplayable, you then played it.
Good luck presenting evidence of when I said it was unplayable. I'll be surprised if that evidence exists. No doubt someone will come back with some quote of mine where I said it was "barely playable." At that point they will say that means basically the same thing, instead of saying what they SHOULD say, which is "Okay, you're right, you never said that. Sorry."

You're now the 3rd person I've seen say that I have embarrassed the PC, or made them look like fools, by playing the deck. Uh, what? Whether I play the deck or not has nothing to do with the PC's decision to not Errata the deck. They chose not to Errata the deck because they didn't believe it needed one immediately, and that if they chose to Errata it later, it could safely wait until they figured out exactly what the change would be. NOT because I said "I'm not going to play the deck." I never once said I wasn't going to play the deck, and you can be damn sure that the PC NEVER said their decision had ANYthing to do with ANY comment *I* made on the subject. There's no reason to associate my opinion of the deck, with the Advocates' decision to not errata the deck. They don't answer to me.

band_member
DS Region: Bespin
DS Region: Bespin
Posts: 1751
Joined: July 6th, 2004, 2:34 pm
Location: Farvana, Bespin, MN
Contact:

Post by band_member »

Hunter wrote:
Jim Jerriko wrote:Yep, that's the one:
"If Fear was his unstoppable deck, wouldn't he use it Day 3 "
This is just simple logic. If I have a deck that was unstoppable, then of course I would play it on Day 3. I don't see how anyone could construe that to mean "Hunter is not playing Fear on Day 3." It doesn't say anything like that, and as I already stated, there would be no way for Raveling to know on Day 2 what I was using for Day 3. I hadn't even picked a dark deck myself yet.
Whew that's a load off my mind but looking at it, one could get the impression that I had some insider knowledge that I didn't have.
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.
Image

User avatar
Hunter
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 14816
Joined: February 10th, 2003, 3:27 am

Post by Hunter »

band_member wrote:Whew that's a load off my mind but looking at it, one could get the impression that I had some insider knowledge that I didn't have.
Doesn't really make any sense to me. From what I can tell, you're on a "team" of sorts. Team MN may have a sprawling membership, and I don't really know how close they are, and whether they always share their best stuff with each other. But I'm not part of that team, so it would seem silly for anyone to think that I would randomly just up and tell you "Hey Raveling, I'm not playing Fear on Day 3. Spread the word." And even if that happened, they'd still have to think it might be a bait-and-switch tactic, and couldn't safely play a deck that is very weak against Fear, at least not if they were on my half of the bracket. For someone to think that:

A) I gave you insider knowledge for no reason
and then
B) You made the insider knowledge public

then that "someone" would have to be kinda dumb. But since the notion came from Jerriko, I guess everything adds up.

Post Reply

Return to “[FY07] Worlds Weekend 2007”