SWCCG strategy guide for NARPs

Everything you need to know as a new player or new person to our site.
Sagnet

SWCCG strategy guide for NARPs

Post by Sagnet »

Lately I've been thinking about how nice it would be to have a strategy guide to show NARPs. Something that's a little more comprehensive and advanced than a purely beginner's guide, or isolated deck breakdowns. So not your typical SWCCG 101, but a 102 or even a 201 curriculum. These subjects could be an outline:

1.Deck Building Strategy
1.1.Choosing your objective
1.2.Choosing your locations
1.3.Card type ratios
1.4.Space vs ground
1.5.Commonly played cards, and their counters
Etc

2.Gameplay Strategy
2.1.Ways of dealing damage
2.1.1.Force drains
2.1.2.Direct damage
2.1.3.Beat downs
2.2.Control decks
2.3.When to deploy, and when to wait
2.4.When to battle, and when not to
2.5.When to go wide, and when to consolidate
2.6.Using your move phase wisely
2.7.Pulling the cards you need
2.8.The three ways of removal in battles
2.8.1.Weapons
2.8.2.Power
2.8.3.Attrition
2.9.Playing the right shields at the right time
Etc

3.Tournament Strategy
3.1.Tournament types
Etc

Does anything resembling this already exist? If not, could it be a task that's up for grabs for a pedagogically inclined volunteer?
Last edited by Sagnet on April 30th, 2020, 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ardrra
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack
GEMP Username: Ardrra

Re: SWCCG strategy guide for NARPs

Post by Ardrra »

i'm not aware of a single place where something like this is compiled. i do agree it seems like a great idea. I also like the outlines and how you've created 3 distinct guides.

I'd probably put gameplay strat as the first guide, rather than deck building strat. I tend to think it is smarter for a NARP to focus on gameplay at fist, and just netdeck top players' concepts when first starting. I think its really hard to build a deck that's worth anything, without a solid understanding of gameplay and a decent amount of experience playing with and against numerous types of decks. just my opinion, though, and others may disagree.

one topic that i might suggest adding would be "commonly played cards/counters". not sure if it belongs in Deck Building or Gameplay, or both. its probably worth calling out stuff you see virtually everywhere, like leadership/command, barriers, ghhk/houjix, sniper&dark strike/sorry about the mess&blaster proficiency, etc. etc. etc.

you'd also probably want to cover Shields, though there are a couple of primers already available towards this end. (though they may need updates for some of the latest shields)
Issac

Sagnet

Post by Sagnet »

Ardrra wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 12:24 pm
i'm not aware of a single place where something like this is compiled. i do agree it seems like a great idea. I also like the outlines and how you've created 3 distinct guides.

I'd probably put gameplay strat as the first guide, rather than deck building strat. I tend to think it is smarter for a NARP to focus on gameplay at fist, and just netdeck top players' concepts when first starting. I think its really hard to build a deck that's worth anything, without a solid understanding of gameplay and a decent amount of experience playing with and against numerous types of decks. just my opinion, though, and others may disagree.

one topic that i might suggest adding would be "commonly played cards/counters". not sure if it belongs in Deck Building or Gameplay, or both. its probably worth calling out stuff you see virtually everywhere, like leadership/command, barriers, ghhk/houjix, sniper&dark strike/sorry about the mess&blaster proficiency, etc. etc. etc.

you'd also probably want to cover Shields, though there are a couple of primers already available towards this end. (though they may need updates for some of the latest shields)
Thanks for the suggestions! I added Commonly played cards and Shields as possible chapters.

DS-61-4
Starter
Starter

Post by DS-61-4 »

THIS is what I've been searching for! As a NARP, I have no idea what makes for good strategy, what are good rules of thumb, how to manage a lot of stuff going on at once, and what to take into consideration when it comes to making a smart decision.

A few suggestions as you go:
-minimize use of acronyms and references to cards without explanation: Nearly all the NARP articles I've read throw out acronyms and card names and assume we know all the cards and how they work. I get that there is an acronym thread - two actually - but it is kind of hard to find and the easier one to find is the outdated one. Just spell it out once and put the acronym in parentheses. If you want to discuss a certain concept, explain what it means. It took me FOREVER to figure out what "numbers" meant. These things are counterproductive in a NARP article for someone that's already bewildered by the complexity and trying to make sense of everything.

-Don't only be a guide for the current competitive format, but be accommodating to other formats: Some of us don't play Shields or V-Cards, some don't even play with objectives (I'm not ready for that yet) and sealed play is a whole totally different animal. While I get the theory of training a total newcomer to the current game like the Demo decks do (it really is a great idea), a lot of us older guys have come back for nostalgia and want to play the old way or are taking things slow. Please don't leave us out and maybe include applicable strategy for each of the different formats.

Death Star
DS Region: Ralltiir
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

I would be willing to do something like this, but am too lazy to write it all down. So with the fun I had commentating on the MPC, I plan to do a few videos about it. Tentative schedule would be next few sundays, at 8.30 pm my time, that would be 2.30 pm eastern time, on the PC channel on twitch and it will be uploaded to youtube afterwards.
Plan to do at least 1 video about gameplay and 1 video about deckbuilding. Agree that gameplay should come first.
Sagnet wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 8:24 am
Lately I've been thinking about how nice it would be to have a strategy guide to show NARPs. Something that's a little more comprehensive and advanced than a purely beginner's guide, or isolated deck breakdowns. So not your typical SWCCG 101, but a 102 or even a 201 curriculum. These subjects could be an outline:

1.Deck Building Strategy
1.1.Choosing your objective
1.2.Choosing your locations
1.3.Card type ratios
1.4.Space vs ground
1.5.Commonly played cards, and their counters
Etc

2.Gameplay Strategy
2.1.Ways of dealing damage
2.1.1.Force drains
2.1.2.Direct damage
2.1.3.Beat downs
2.2.Control decks
2.3.When to deploy, and when to wait
2.4.When to battle, and when not to
2.5.When to go wide, and when to consolidate
2.6.Using your move phase wisely
2.7.Pulling the cards you need
2.8.The three ways of removal in battles
2.8.1.Weapons
2.8.2.Power
2.8.3.Attrition
2.9.Playing the right shields at the right time
Etc

3.Tournament Strategy
3.1.Tournament types
Etc

Does anything resembling this already exist? If not, could it be a task that's up for grabs for a pedagogically inclined volunteer?
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImageImage

Weyoun9846135
GEMP Username: Weyoun9846

Post by Weyoun9846135 »

Death Star wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 5:21 pm
I would be willing to do something like this, but am too lazy to write it all down. So with the fun I had commentating on the MPC, I plan to do a few videos about it. Tentative schedule would be next few sundays, at 8.30 pm my time, that would be 2.30 pm eastern time, on the PC channel on twitch and it will be uploaded to youtube afterwards.
Plan to do at least 1 video about gameplay and 1 video about deckbuilding. Agree that gameplay should come first.

Would love it!
Ulli R. - Berlin, Germany

Sagnet

Post by Sagnet »

Death Star wrote:
Looking forward to that! A series of videos would work just as well (or maybe even better) than a written document. Will you be using any other media in the videos, like showing screenshots from selected games, for example?

Death Star
GEMP Username: zlorfik

Post by Death Star »

The plan in my head is to use gemp game replay links as basis, but pause and talk a lot more than for example what Chris Gogolen is doing in his review show. Also jump over to the deck builder tab and show and highlight specific cards that are important in that context.
It will be pretty low tech, nothing fancy.
Sagnet wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 2:56 am
Death Star wrote:
Looking forward to that! A series of videos would work just as well (or maybe even better) than a written document. Will you be using any other media in the videos, like showing screenshots from selected games, for example?
"i know it won worlds,but it can't win anything in the local meta of michigan.we paly card for card what you ahve and still don't win"

My favorite decktech review on one of my decks.
ImageImageImage

Sagnet

Post by Sagnet »

Death Star wrote:
May 7th, 2020, 3:02 am
The plan in my head is to use gemp game replay links as basis, but pause and talk a lot more than for example what Chris Gogolen is doing in his review show. Also jump over to the deck builder tab and show and highlight specific cards that are important in that context.
It will be pretty low tech, nothing fancy.
Alright, I suppose that will work very well. Again, looking forward to it!

Bobble_Vet
Starter
Starter

Post by Bobble_Vet »

Same here, as a new / returning player, with no serious play experience under my belt, getting a handle on the meta is quite intimidating! Would love to see some videos on popular decks for a few formats. Classic decks too would be cool.

Wokling
GEMP Username: ototoi

Post by Wokling »

In the past few months I've thought about writing a How to Play Star Wars treatise. But it's a daunting project and would likely take an inordinate amount of time. Definitely interested to see what Bastian covers in his series.

Return to “Forum Guidelines and New Player Info”