Frequently Asked Questions

Everything you need to know as a new player or new person to our site.
Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Advocate »

How do I make my links look better?

Naked Link
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CCG#Expansions

Dressed Link
Link

To dress your links, start with Then put in the URL, with the closing bracket after
Now type in the Name to display ("Link" in the above example)
Now close with a
tag
So the dressed link above appears like this:

Code: Select all

[url=https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CCG#Expansions]Link[/url]
Are Virtual Cards the new legal forms or can we simply use the original cards? Would I be putting myself at a huge tactical disadvantage if I didn't use them?

Excellent question. The answer to your first question is that virtual cards are optional. You can even have the virtual and non virtual version of the same card in the same deck (and there's times when you actually want to do this too).

The answer to your second question is in general yes, but for specific cards, not necessarily. Basically there's been many sets of cards released since Decipher lost the license. You would be at a disadvantage by not using any virtual cards, just as if you tried to build decks in the Decipher days without using any of the cards from the most recent few sets.

For individual cards though, the virtual version is not necessarily superior or not better in every type of deck - eg. Dash Rendar virtual sees some play but Dash Rendar non virtual is much more common. Most decks are probably 10-20% virtual cards. While there is a degree of power creep, it's not nearly as extreme as it was with Decipher cards (esp towards the end). The very best cards of the decipher era (epp maul/qui, maintenance chars, senate/combat objectives) are still among the very best cards today.

What does the (V) after the card name mean? Can I get a list of all the abbreviations?

The V's stand for virtual card.
Ie. Luke Skywalker [v] means the virtual version of Luke Skywalker.

The list of ways people write it go as such:

Luke Skywalker [v]
Luke Skywalker (V)
Luke Skywalker [v]
Luke Skywalker V
Luke Skywalker(V)
Luke Skywalker (v0)

In the last example, the 0 denote the base expansion the card came from.

For a full list of abbreviations, check here, there is a thread devoted entirely to it.

Who/What is the PC?

The Player's Committee is a volunteer group that Decipher started once they knew Lucasfilm was not going to renew the CCG License.

There have been a number of Advocates, way too many to mention. The current ones have red names on the forums.

I haven't played the game since [insert date here] and want to know the basics to get back into the game.

Several of the best resources may be found in our new player section here.

How often are Virtual Cards used in current decks?

It depends on the deck. Its pretty common for decks to have 10-20% virtual cards, though certain decks have more, others less. Something to remember is that many Virtual cards make older or unused non virtual cards more viable, they're not just about introducing all new cards.

What order do you start the game with the different options now-a-days?

Start of game goes:

Both players reveal their starting effect at the same time. They then reveal their objective or starting location. The player who goes first in the game then deploys the cards that his objective instructs him to. Then the other player does so, covering up the opponent's locations where applicable.

Both players then simultaneously reveal their starting interrupt. The player who goes first takes the actions his starting interrupt instructs him to. Then the other player does. The usual effect of this is that the player who goes second can see what effects the other player starts before choosing his own effects.

Then the game starts.

What is the best way to play SWCCG online?

Holotable is an option that includes every card in the game. Its free and we have a lot of people here that play online there.

GEMP is also free and is a newer option that is still adding cards and is unique in that it forces the cards to play within the rules. You can still play and beta test it.

How do I find other players?

This is the best place for locating players.
[link]Player Locator - SWCCG Forums

I was just wondering if people could explain the whole concept behind the virtual cards. As in who approves them? Who designs them? Whats the point?

Virtual Cards are the way the PC can release new expansions to the players as per the agreement with LFL and Decipher. The design team, playtesters and development teams ultimately approve, design, playtest and finalize the cards (with the help of the Graphic design and Proofing teams)

So, in short, V cards exist to keep the game fresh and alive. You can still use the old non V versions. The V Cards just expand the pool.

But I dislike the v-cards... its not as fun as playing without them
Well, players are not required to use virtual cards. However there are some serious problems with doing that.

First, the game gets really boring after a while.
Second, the decks that were best when decipher lost the license are typically considered to be little fun. A lot of people didn't play against the top decks, or left the game before decipher introduced a large amount of power-creep, and so don't really realize exactly what was great at the time. Podracing, senate, and lightsaber combat were all exceptionally strong and very little fun for many to play against. Plus from the fan-boy side of things, the most powerful cards were not very "Star Wars-y." We like the game to be fun, and we like the game to be about star wars, which is why we continue to design sets. Although it takes a bit of adjusting to the current style of play, we think you will enjoy it.

Are there any other resources for a new player like me?

[PENDING]

Will Decipher ever get the license back?

At this time the SW Gaming licenses are currently in the hands of Fantasy Flight Games.

I'm a returning player to the game and would like to know how does Starting Effects and Defensive Shields work.

You play your starting effect before any other cards (that's the only time they can be played, and you can only play 1).

You put whatever cards under it that it says, cards from outside your deck that don't count against your 60 card limit (although the Starting Effect does) - Usually it's 10 or 12 defensive shields. Then, like the Starting Effect says, you play 3 or 4 shields throughout the game, as if from hand. Defensive shields say "Play on table", which means they don't deploy, so they're not limited to your deploy phase. However they still have to be played as a topmost action; you can't respond to another action by playing a defensive shield.

are there any forums for dreamcard ideas or non-swccg topics? maybe other ccgs?

Yes. here

With archive.org being blocked by Decipher now, how can I see the old site if I wanted to?

decipher.ruddog.com is the url, but the site is up/down based on the owner of the backup.

Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram?

Official Players Committee Facebook Group

Star Wars CCG Group

Twitter

Instagram

You Tube

I like the Cards you make, and I make some of my own I'd like to Share, or I have ideas for more...

There are a few things to be aware of with this. The first is that making replicas of Star Wars CCG cards without specific consent from Lucasfilm and Decipher is a copyright violation, and a legal liability. While it is possible for individuals to emulate with some degree of accuracy our card creation process, it is illegal for other groups to do so. It is our website policy to support all copyrights, thus posts which allude to distributing anything in violation of this law will be deleted, and the poster will probably be banned. While this is an extreme step, we cannot condone illegal behavior.

I have a suggestion for the game! I want to improve the game! Who do I talk to?
send a private message to Advocate. We are always looking for new volunteers and new ideas. Alternatively, you could post publicly on the general star wars ccg discussion forum. Please note that some suggestions, while great ideas, require much more time and/or financial resources than our volunteers can afford to give. Also please note that many things, especially about new/different cards , and dramatic ways to change the game, have probably already been brought up. Please remember to abide by the forum rules, and also remember that sometimes public suggestions, especially those which have been discussed multiple times previously can elicit somewhat hostile responses.

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Advocate »

so I updated this a bit, but might need to merge it with something else.
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

fungineer
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Holotable username: fungineer
GEMP Username: fungineer

Post by fungineer »

May want to update link to new glossary.
* Congrats if you read through my whole post. Have a cookie, it's in your cache.
* https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/gemp-swccg Play for free, even if you don't own good cards. Then play in real life, with real people, even if you aren't any good.
Image Image Image
Sagnet wrote:At this point, I think your posts are more unclear than the rules are.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Here's a link to documentation that was put together by the phpbb team.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3.1/ug/userguide/

That has a lot of information on how to do just about everything you can do in the forums (post images, links, change your avatar, add/edit your signature, etc.)

Vase

Post by Vase »

I haven't played the game since [insert date here] and want to know the basics to get back into the game.

The link is broken. Could this perhaps be updated? :)

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Vase wrote:

The link is broken. Could this perhaps be updated? :)
I think the current link for that info is https://www.starwarsccg.org/newplayers/

Thanks for pointing it out - unfortunately I don't have the ability to update it in the first post.
John Anderson
Proofing, Tournament Committee, GEMP Team

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

fixed all the links

ketwol
GEMP Username: ketwol

Post by ketwol »

Would it be possible to get my nick / name changed? It would be cool to have the same name as on gemp -> "ketwol". Would make me more recognizable :)

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

ketwol wrote:Would it be possible to get my nick / name changed? It would be cool to have the same name as on gemp -> "ketwol". Would make me more recognizable :)
Done

ketwol
GEMP Username: ketwol

Post by ketwol »

JediJer wrote:
ketwol wrote:Would it be possible to get my nick / name changed? It would be cool to have the same name as on gemp -> "ketwol". Would make me more recognizable :)
Done
Thx man! :-D

system phase
Starter
Starter

Post by system phase »

I'm trying to register on GEMP and misread the username requirements as password requirements, so failed a few times... and now it is telling me that I'm permanently banned. Can anyone help with that?

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

system phase wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 6:31 pm
I'm trying to register on GEMP and misread the username requirements as password requirements, so failed a few times... and now it is telling me that I'm permanently banned. Can anyone help with that?
Send me a PM!
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

What are the packs of cards that show up under my avatar, and why is the pack under mine not from SWCCG?

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

DS-61-4 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:01 pm
What are the packs of cards that show up under my avatar, and why is the pack under mine not from SWCCG?
those are "ranks" as you post more your rank will change, or if you'd like we can change it to the regional planet avatar of your choice like you see mine has the tatooine one
Jerry H

Image Image

DS-61-4

Post by DS-61-4 »

10-4, just strange that it is from a different card game.

Return to “Forum Guidelines and New Player Info”