Returning player, Austin, TX area. Help!

andrewespinola
Starter
Starter

Returning player, Austin, TX area. Help!

Post by andrewespinola »

Decided to get back into Star Wars CCG after not having played it since 2001. Unfortunately, I also sold my collection so I suppose I’ll have to figure out that piece too. Looking for someone to play with and for help getting back into it. Did some reading on the site, but it’s all a bit much for me to digest with the virtual cards, etc. I’m in Austin, TX area.

I remember playing in tournaments and buying all my cards (from Premiere forward) at Junior’s Comics and Cards in south Austin. I remember playing in the state championship back then at the Austin Convention Center. I think a fellow named Justin, who used to carry his cards in a toolbox hoisted on his shoulder, won with some sort of palace raider and smuggler themed deck. Surely there is someone on here who remembers this era in Austin, TX. I also have fond memories of a player named Ted who used to exclaim funny things like, “let’s fig!” when utilizing Figrin Dan’s game text. Memories are too many and too hilarious to recount in exhaustive detail here, but I would love to get playing this one-of-a-kind game again. Not opposed to rebuilding my collection somewhat if I need to, but I hope the virtual cards will alleviate some of that :)

rhendon

Re: Returning player, Austin, TX area. Help!

Post by rhendon »

Hey Andrew. I played at Juniors but I think it was after you quit. I'm Robbie and was a friend of Conor. I do remember Justin (he passed away around 15 years ago sadly), Ted and others like Mike Richards who does still play this game from time to time but has been less active lately.

I was the last Austin player for awhile but have since moved. I don't think there is anyone really playing there right now. There is a group in Houston but we in the state haven't been as active since 2017 or so. Life happens and things change.

Best place to play right now is on GEMP.

https://gemp.starwarsccg.org/

You can register and you will have the ability to build/play online. Its all free and it is browser based so you can play pretty much anywhere. With COVID, it has become almost the only place to play too. All of our events for the year have moved online.

No idea what future holds but I'd like to run another event in Texas at some point but we'll see. Welcome back though. Play on GEMP and if you have any questions you can hit me up.

Also, feel free to join either the discord or slack communities (or both) as well.

andrewespinola
Starter
Starter

Re: Returning player, Austin, TX area. Help!

Post by andrewespinola »

Thanks Robbie! I'm sorry to hear about Justin. I really looked up to him as a young player. I'll try out GEMP and hopefully we can get something going in Texas once this pandemic is all over.

Return to “Player Locator”