MA, massachusetts players!!!??...?

MrDid
Starter
Starter

Re: MA, massachusetts players!!!??...?

Post by MrDid »

Moving to Boston this summer and hoping to get back in to this awesome game. Any regular tournaments held?

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

MrDid wrote:Moving to Boston this summer and hoping to get back in to this awesome game. Any regular tournaments held?
There's a few players around, but they're scattered and not well organized. I used to run tournaments in the area but moved away a couple years ago, and I think there's been maybe 1 local event since. I have a feeling that if someone stepped up to run events though people would come. There's a chance that if there was a Sunday event I could swing a trip from New York.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

MrDid
Starter
Starter

Post by MrDid »

There's a few players around, but they're scattered and not well organized. I used to run tournaments in the area but moved away a couple years ago, and I think there's been maybe 1 local event since. I have a feeling that if someone stepped up to run events though people would come. There's a chance that if there was a Sunday event I could swing a trip from New York.
That sounds like a plan. I really like the sound of some of the tournaments that were held (sealed deck style with themes). Would be awesome to buy a few boxes of Hoth, Cloud City and Dagobah to split between a group and make new decks out of what is opened.

We should keep in touch and get it organised. Expecting to move in August. I wonder if New England comics hold any CCG events?

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

MrDid wrote:I wonder if New England comics hold any CCG events?
I know the one in Coolidge Corner (Brookline) holds Magic events in their basement. Alston and Cambridge definitely don't have the space for gaming and I've never been to any of the other locations. We used to have some events at Pandemonium in Cambridge.
MrDid wrote:Would be awesome to buy a few boxes of Hoth, Cloud City and Dagobah to split between a group and make new decks out of what is opened.
I'm not sure you realize just how much something like that would cost, but there are definitely ways to do good sealed environments without breaking the bank on a bunch of booster boxes.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

hoobs
DS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by hoobs »

I still have a bunch of Sealed Product left that I intended to have a tournament with but never was able to scrounge up enough players due to friends not having money or conflicting schedules. We used to have somewhat regular tournaments at "That's Entertainment" in Worcester but those died out about a year ago. Perhaps I could arrange something during the Summer months... I'll keep you posted.
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

MrDid
Starter
Starter

Post by MrDid »

All sounds great, glad to hear there are a few others out there!

I will likely need to relearn how to play!

blizdom
Starter
Starter

Post by blizdom »

I'd definitely want to attend anything in the Boston area. I'm not that familiar with virtual set strategies but I built a couple decks last year with some. Its been a long time and I'd appreciate just picking up one or two games/tournaments a year.

MrDid
Starter
Starter

Post by MrDid »

blizdom wrote:I'd definitely want to attend anything in the Boston area. I'm not that familiar with virtual set strategies but I built a couple decks last year with some. Its been a long time and I'd appreciate just picking up one or two games/tournaments a year.
Great! We will sort something out this summer to see how much interest we generate.

I was thinking that it would be fun to do a bi-monthly new-player friendly sealed deck tournament eg:

August - Premiere (maybe EPP) and ANH sealed deck with a master class on the cards/play styles

October - Hoth and Dagobah sealed deck with masterclass

December - Cloud City and Jabbas Palace sealed deck (maybe using JP TSD packs) with masterclass

Follow on dates could bring everyone up to tournament standard ready for the regionals in 2015. In between the sealed deck tournaments there could be open events etc.

Sealed deck tournaments would constitute ~$20 of cards (entry fee) allowing new players to start a collection whilst not excluding them from play.

Just brain storming here - we would need an experienced volunteer to do the masterclass. After the tournament the players would have an opportunity to trade cards and build stronger decks to test out in the interim.

Any thoughts?

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Sounds like a good idea, but the only thing I'd add is that Hoth and Dagobah sealed deck would never work. It would be terrible. Some sets just don't lend themselves to sealed, and those are 2 sets that should never be used in any type of sealed environment.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

blizdom
Starter
Starter

Post by blizdom »

Yeah, maybe just add Hoth to the first set and Dagobah to the cloud city set? I definitely like this idea of starting with earlier sets to ease back into the game. noob question: what is a masterclass exactly? I think I get the idea but just curious.

I'm happy to pay $20 for cards, but I also have commons and uncommons (maybe rares) I'd be willing to part with (Jabba's palace or earlier) for $1 / X-hundred cards. Possibly $0. I could possibly trim that collection down some.

I feel like the most difficult question to address will be where to play. I don't know how places that sell cards would respond to people asking for space to play a game that they don't sell.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Back when I lived in Mass we used to play at Pandemonium in Cambridge (Central Sq). They were cool with us playing there and I always made sure to buy sleeves or candy or something so it wasn't a complete waste of their time.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

GunganStyle

Post by GunganStyle »

JChrisQuint wrote:Hey, I'm new to the boards, but have played since 1995.. Any place south of Boston (I'm in Providence)that hosts games?
JPDamn plays games every week at his kitchen table just outside of Providence with a couple of his buddies. They are great and (mostly) legacy players. I drive up from CT when I can convince the wife to sneak away for a whole night. PM him on this forum or he's really active on Facebook groups. He's also got TONS for cards to help start you back up if you want (as do I).
Holotable: ganoman21
Battle.net: ganoman21#1681

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

We also are having some events in CT in a couple of weeks.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

bryant

Post by bryant »

hoobs wrote:I still have a bunch of Sealed Product left that I intended to have a tournament with but never was able to scrounge up enough players due to friends not having money or conflicting schedules. We used to have somewhat regular tournaments at "That's Entertainment" in Worcester but those died out about a year ago. Perhaps I could arrange something during the Summer months... I'll keep you posted.

If you do something let me know. Been missing the tournaments at Thats E

MrDid
Starter
Starter

Post by MrDid »

We move to Boston in 1 week, let me know if there are plans for a game. Happy to travel to Worcester if there's a bigger base around there.

Would love to do a sealed event too!

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

hopefully the big v card reset will get things going again for you guys.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

bryant

Post by bryant »

gogolen wrote:hopefully the big v card reset will get things going again for you guys.

I'm definitely not familiar with all the MA players, but most of the ones I know do not use the V cards so I'm not sure that will do anything for anyone ;)

bryant

Post by bryant »

MrDid wrote:We move to Boston in 1 week, let me know if there are plans for a game. Happy to travel to Worcester if there's a bigger base around there.

Would love to do a sealed event too!

I'd say the chance of an event soon is low. Hasn't been one that I've heard of in a little more than a year. That being said, I'm sure you could get a few people together to play without too much trouble.

jpdamn
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by jpdamn »

I have a few places I could host tournaments at here in RI. My small weekly group is generally classic decipher but we're looking forward to the reset and seeing what it brings. If you read this and would want to do a tournament probably on a Sunday in RI then jump in and if there's interest we'll work out a day.
All games contain the idea of Death - James Douglas Morrison

MrDid
Starter
Starter

Post by MrDid »

jpdamn wrote:I have a few places I could host tournaments at here in RI. My small weekly group is generally classic decipher but we're looking forward to the reset and seeing what it brings. If you read this and would want to do a tournament probably on a Sunday in RI then jump in and if there's interest we'll work out a day.
Sounds great, where abouts in RI? We have family/friends down that way so could combine with a visit.

Return to “Player Locator”