MN Super Weekend

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Consider yourself lucky. Now other people have a chance to win.

citizenSwanky
Anthology
Anthology

Post by citizenSwanky »

jimli wrote:Yeah but Garrett, in my two games i ended up with 25 times more differential over Tom than you in your win :-)
Ha, jeez guys, you make it sound like I didn't beat either of you *sniffle

Appreciate the props too, I'm relatively impressed with my play as well :D

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jimli »

citizenSwanky wrote:
jimli wrote:Yeah but Garrett, in my two games i ended up with 25 times more differential over Tom than you in your win :-)
Ha, jeez guys, you make it sound like I didn't beat either of you *sniffle

Appreciate the props too, I'm relatively impressed with my play as well :D
Didn't you get the memo? Games of starwars you lose must be immediately erased from memory. I'm pretty sure I'm 947-0 in all these years of playing SWs.

-Jim

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

What a weekend.

I went 5-1 on Friday, 2-4 on Saturday, and 4-2 on Sunday. I played 9 games with RalOps and 9 games with WHAP. I made changes to RalOps after each day and I think one 2 cards (2x SATM combo swapped for Glancing Blow and Impressive Most Impressive (v)).

I think Garrett "Deadbody" Larson needs to receive a HUGE amount of praise for his patience this weekend. He played in two of the three events (winning one), patiently delivering rules, organizing prizes, dontating Ultra-Rare foils, housing people, and being a class act all the way. I KNOW I would have cracked... and man, he's got a loud voice for calling pairings. Excellent. I have appreciated Garrett for his love of the game and friendship to so many. Our trips to North Dakota, Wisconsin, and Iowa have been fun. Thanks, Garrett.

The players of MN should be grateful that Garrett picked up where Nick Kolnik left off and has kept people coming back each year.

Another constant in the MN playing community has been teacher Mark Walseth from Rosemount, MN. He has been teaching junior high students to play this game and they have been filling the tables at Twin City Comics for years. Amazing.

Twin City Comics- wow. Supporting a "dead" game. We are eternally grateful to Jay and the other workers at TCC for their tolerating and welcoming us to their establishment. We are hoping other people from around the world will enjoy the store as much as I have these past several years. They are a considerable/major/significant reason we can still draw 16, 31, & 33 people to tournaments in three days.

I would like to thank Michael Raveling for being a standard of game play and a good friend. I have appreciated the playtesting, conversations, trips to Toys R Us, and tremendous laughs (his humor is unique and refreshing).

I'd like to congratulate and thank Jim Li for being a classy, classy player. He's always on his game and is a true gentleman. Thanks, Jim. I enjoy our conversations and your friendship.

I'd like to congratulate Tyler Vastag for his game play this weekend, and thank him for his friendship and conversation back and forth from TCC to Belle Plaine. I was also glad John Anderson came down and I was able to get to know him. John, you're a fun guy! Keep up the game play (and speed it up, will ya! Yuck yuck!).

I would like to thank Mitch Nieland, Tom Farfjord, Peter Farfjord, Jason Jenkins, Charlie Arlandson, Brandon (Rosemont), Johnny (Rosemont), John Anderson, Garrett Larson, Jeff Bostwick, Sean Miller, and whoever I forgot. They were all great games. I was happy to have played you all, win or lose.

Um, I REALLY need to thank my wife who made sure my kids were safe, healthy, and cared for. I couldn't do any of this if I wasn't for her. I think that's where a lot of us are right now and I know behind every SWCCG player is a great woman :)

Take care everyone... I hope to see everyone at Worlds 2008... Day 2!
Last edited by Jeeps on July 28th, 2008, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

brady1194
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by brady1194 »

Schele wrote:6th place bye?

Well that's now at least 6 mediocre players with byes from MN then. Well, make that 5. Jim Li is a champ.
Let me clear this up for you, Brandon. In the tournaments we host in Minneapolis, more than 5 people show up.

In fact, I think we had something on the order of 80 paid entrances over the 3 days. So, that's a little over $800 generated. Now, we did use a fair amount of that for prize support and PC registration fees, but the rough number I heard floating around was something around $400 sent to the PC to fund the prize pool for Worlds.

Now that we've had this little talk, perhaps you could find some other corner of the boards to call home. Your constant sniping of the MN community has become stale.

Brady

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

brady1194 wrote:
Schele wrote:6th place bye?

Well that's now at least 6 mediocre players with byes from MN then. Well, make that 5. Jim Li is a champ.
Let me clear this up for you, Brandon. In the tournaments we host in Minneapolis, more than 5 people show up.

In fact, I think we had something on the order of 80 paid entrances over the 3 days. So, that's a little over $800 generated. Now, we did use a fair amount of that for prize support and PC registration fees, but the rough number I heard floating around was something around $400 sent to the PC to fund the prize pool for Worlds.

Now that we've had this little talk, perhaps you could find some other corner of the boards to call home. Your constant sniping of the MN community has become stale.

Brady
ARG!

I forgot Mr. Brady Moore! Dangit! Sorry, Brady. You also deserve HUGE HUGE HUGE Props.

You hosted people, have been a patient and consistent player, and are one of the most intelligent and well-rounded people I know. You're all class and when you call someone (like Schele) on the carpet, he'd better put up or shut up instead of be just another KEYBOARD WARRIOR. Brady, you have been a lot of fun and it's been a pleasure to get to know you over the past year. I look forward to our next game...

I'd also like to mention another persoin I forgot, Adam Howiland. He's perhaps the most genuinely nice person I have ever met and I think he thinks more about this game and the internal nuances this game offers than most (even if he doesn't realize Wokling doesn't pull Utinni Effects har har har!).
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Constant sniping of the MN scene never grows stale. If you've been around the forums the past couple years, it's a never ending thing. Garrett (along with a few other MN players) is just a little quiet compared to normal because he can't say a word after the way this year has gone. Don't be so sensitive. :D

I'm not knocking your scene or the ability to get a bunch of players to turn out, that's always been the strength of the MN scene.

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Jeeps wrote:I'd like to congratulate Tyler Vastag for his game play this weekend, and thank him for his friendship and conversation back and forth from TCC to Belle Plaine. I was also glad John Anderson came down and I was able to get to know him. John, you're a fun guy! Keep up the game play (and speed it up, will ya! Yuck yuck!).
John here (have I posted before?) and would like to say that all back at you and same for everyone who showed up this weekend. I have to admit I was a touch frustrated with the game after Friday's 0-6 showing, but improved over the course of the weekend. And yes, I think that improvement included a little more speed - I believe only one game went to time today! :) I basically only picked up the game after WI/MN teams so I'm still learning a lot of stuff and learning my decks.

Once I get a Dark deck finished that I get comfortable playing I think I'll be able to put up a much better showing next year, and I'll look forward to a repeat of the overall good times we had this year! Heck maybe they'll even be another midnight Toys R Us opening for new Star Wars collectible action figure toys!

band_member
DS Region: Bespin

Post by band_member »

Well alright I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix. Props:
1. Thanks to Garrett for organizing the whole tournaments. I really liked the idea of giving a random game during the tournament a special prize to whoever won that game. That was genius. I don't know how you came up with that but it was one heck of a good idea.
2. Peter Jacobson. Playtesting benefitted both of us and your willingness to try strategies unfamiliar to you was nice.
3. Brady after going 0 and 2 against me Friday and Saturday, you shelacked me on Sunday. Really not a smart move leaving Gold Leader sitting alone by himself for 5 turns and you made me pay. I like that you adapt and adjust your deck so that I might beat you once or twice but eventually you get the better of me.
3. Mark and his Rosemount crew. I love playing you guys and not because it's easy wins. I like it that I can see the progression of you guys getting better all the time. I especially thought it was funny when more than 1 person that I sat down to play said "You know, I've never beaten you after X number of games." Made me feel good that I've maintained some standard of good play all these years and also that they must not have played me when I tried out Skrilling/Walker/Inserts or my ill-fated Naboo Fighter Hidden Base.
4. David. I hope you got to the Imax alright and I wish I had been able to go see it with you. I hope your flight back to NY was good and that you had fun in MN. It sucks to have a needy girlfriend sometimes even though I used my lack of funds as an excuse.
5. Everyone who showed up. I felt like I didn't get enough time to talk with Alden or Derek or Ben or Tyler or Mark or Brady or ...well you get the idea.
6. No use thanking Twin Cities comics because Jay won't ever read this.
7. Brian Herold for winning LA states. And you did it win Farming. How embarrasing.
8. Lingrell. Somehow he had something to do with the weekend somehow.
9. Tom GoldFinch. I have to consider you a good player now as you've been shelacking me with your TTO and I have a good string of 0 and 3 going against you this year. Plus you made me meta against you...maybe poorly but I did.
SLOPS:
Now for the section you've all been waiting for. The bad list
1. ME. I made so many mistakes in almost every game I played that I wanted to shoot myself. Ick.
2. Nick Kolnick. You didn't show your face. I even called you out a little. Didn't you want to see how Garrett was running the MN scene into the ground?
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

bluethrawn
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by bluethrawn »

band_member wrote:2. Nick Kolnick. You didn't show your face. I even called you out a little. Didn't you want to see how Garrett was running the MN scene into the ground?
I would have made an appearance, but I was in Fargo all weekend.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

bluethrawn wrote:
band_member wrote:2. Nick Kolnick. You didn't show your face. I even called you out a little. Didn't you want to see how Garrett was running the MN scene into the ground?
I would have made an appearance, but I was in Fargo all weekend.
Fargo States was May 10th, Nick. Somebody needs to get your a calendar... ;)
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

bluethrawn
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by bluethrawn »

Jeeps wrote:Fargo States was May 10th, Nick. Somebody needs to get your a calendar... ;)
Fargo is a state? Somebody need to get you an atlas... 8)

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

LOL! Duh! (Dammit, caught by his own sense of irony...) I'll leave the original post without editing it so your joke is even funnier!
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, we will be sending $400 to the PC for the registration fees and prize support (the pay pal will go out this afternoon).

What I've done is just build on what Nick spent countless man hours and thousands of dollars to build. If I can maintain that I'll be happy. Remember without you, I'm worthless, if the players don't come to play I don't mean squat.

Thanks for everyone who came, we had 21, 30, and 33 players at the 3 different tournaments. Maybe tonight I'll see how many unique players we had, I think it was over 40.

Great showing, and great games from all my opponents. I'm content with taking 2nd in both tournaments I played in, and on Sunday with my back-up decks.

Thanks everyone.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

It was definitely a great time. Thanks to Brady again for hosting me. To all the players that were there, thanks for keeping the game alive.

Garrett, you are probably the best tournament director ever. To keep that many people, who are ultimately just playing a game, on track and on time is a major feat.

Jeeps, it is a shame we missed each other on the tables this weekend, I had an Imperial Conference Room and Hidden Base (V) decks for you to play against!

Mark Walseth (I hope I spelled your last name correctly; if not then you can give me an F) should be thanked here as well for sharing SWCCG with so many young minds. When I was in high school there was a teacher who also hosted a CCG club and his favorite game was SWCCG.
ImageImage

band_member

Post by band_member »

Adam I forgot to mention you in my list of people I was giving props and slops to. You get props for trying goof decks. Maybe I should give you slops for trying goof decks that don't really work unless your opponent doesn't know the rules....;-)
Na you get props.
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

band_member wrote:Adam I forgot to mention you in my list of people I was giving props and slops to. You get props for trying goof decks. Maybe I should give you slops for trying goof decks that don't really work unless your opponent doesn't know the rules....;-)
Na you get props.
Well thanks, I think that sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. And I guess I should give you props too for pointing out the obvious rule fop as of my AWESOME Rescue the Princess deck!
ImageImage

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

bluethrawn wrote:
Jeeps wrote:Fargo States was May 10th, Nick. Somebody needs to get your a calendar... ;)
Fargo is a state? Somebody need to get you an atlas... 8)

Well, see, as a resident of North Dakota, it is well known that Fargo IS North Dakota to the outside world.

^_^
citizenSwanky wrote: True that, Jim Li is a champ. I lost three games all weekend, and two of them were to him.
So basically, since I was undefeated against you, that makes me a champ right?

:P

Great weekend everyone, Mike we can catch up at worlds sometime (maybe I'll like, playtest and not build decks without reading the cards I play with sometime) since I now have the SWCCG spark again.

Props to everyone I played (I'm sorry I don't remember anyone's names lol). Especially the guy I played sunday who I beat by a ton :( I always feel so bad about that, so if you ever read this, just keep on truckin'!

bluethrawn
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by bluethrawn »

_maul wrote:Well, see, as a resident of North Dakota, it is well known that Fargo IS North Dakota to the outside world.
Most of the outside world thinks that Fargo is in Minnesota, thanks to the Coen Brothers.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

band_member wrote:7. Brian Herold for winning LA states. And you did it win Farming. How embarrasing.
You gotta play what you know. And if there's one thing North Dakotans know, it's farming. :splat:

Return to “[Road to Worlds] State, Provincial and Mini-Open Championships”