2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Image
Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
arebelspy
Member
Posts: 16203
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by arebelspy »

imrahil327 wrote:Does anyone have any issues with making Day 1 "Top 50% of non-qualified entrants" and allowing anyone to play?
yes, if i had no bye into day 2, i was 3-2 and matched up in my last game against someone already having a bye (and therefore presumably better than the average day 1 participant) and lost, causing me to miss the cut, i'd be upset having flown all that way and losing to day 2 people on day 1 so i couldn't even play.

day 1 should be for people fighting for byes only, otherwise other people can influence it negatively.



User avatar
quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
Posts: 13291
Joined: November 8th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Location: North Denver
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by quesosauce37 »

top decking would be like the scaryiest thing ever in that format
Jerry H

Image Image

User avatar
PapaLorax
Member
Posts: 2268
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 9:06 am
Contact:

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by PapaLorax »

arebelspy wrote:day 1 should be for people fighting for byes only, otherwise other people can influence it negatively.
agreed. otherwise a pack of friends can help "clear the way" for someone else too.

There are too many bad scenarios if you mix the field.
Terron wrote:Can't we settle this like real virgins?

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30732
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by imrahil327 »

Fair points, I suppose. I wish there was a way to let everyone in, but maybe Joe's idea is the only one that will work.

Alternately, I could talk to our donor about making it an open with just 2 normal byes, rather than a day 1 with 50% byes.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

arebelspy
Member
Posts: 16203
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by arebelspy »

imrahil327 wrote:Fair points, I suppose. I wish there was a way to let everyone in, but maybe Joe's idea is the only one that will work.

Alternately, I could talk to our donor about making it an open with just 2 normal byes, rather than a day 1 with 50% byes.
/shrug

if that's what the person wanted to do with the money, i don't see why it's a big deal to honor their wishes.

especially if you create a rule you can give up your bye to play (go for the money at the risk of not qualifying).

but maybe you can sway them. open events are generally better than closed.

User avatar
darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
Posts: 22858
Joined: April 17th, 2005, 5:26 pm
Location: Chicago
GEMP Username: djk11

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by darkjediknight11 »

doesn't matter much to me cause i'm not going, but it seems if you make the 2K event open, then it gives something for Day 2 players to do til 5 pm.

User avatar
puck71
Member
Posts: 12897
Joined: February 17th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN
GEMP Username: puck71

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by puck71 »

The "Reflections & Death Star II Sealed Tournament" on Saturday night sounds fun, but who will be able to play in it? By my math, neither Day 2 nor the Consolation event will be done by 5:00.

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30732
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by imrahil327 »

It is intended to start after the Consolation event ends...we'll make it work.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

User avatar
puck71
Member
Posts: 12897
Joined: February 17th, 2008, 8:59 pm
Location: St. Paul, MN
GEMP Username: puck71

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by puck71 »

imrahil327 wrote:It is intended to start after the Consolation event ends...we'll make it work.
OK sounds good, but people in Day 2 would probably be out of luck?

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30732
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by imrahil327 »

Yeah, it's not intended for those playing in the main event. If there is enough demand for this we might be able to hold a similar tournament concurrently with the consolation event on Sunday, or possibly late night on Saturday.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

User avatar
mr007agent
Member
Posts: 6869
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 1:43 pm
Location: South Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by mr007agent »

Sign me up for the Day 3 Consolation event.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30732
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by imrahil327 »

I'll just send you the $160 check now. :)
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

itcouldbewirfs
Booster Box
Booster Box
Posts: 1024
Joined: July 9th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by itcouldbewirfs »

PapaLorax wrote:
arebelspy wrote:day 1 should be for people fighting for byes only, otherwise other people can influence it negatively.
agreed. otherwise a pack of friends can help "clear the way" for someone else too.

There are too many bad scenarios if you mix the field.
Perhaps, the 2K Qualifier can be open while the regular Day 1 Qualifier is closed. Then if Day 1 people are worried about facing Day 2 players they will just avoid the 2k Qualifier.

Consequences: This will likely cause everyone serious about getting their day 2 bye via Qualifier to opt out of the 2K and leaving it to the Day 2 crowd (which should make for a very competitive tourny.)
Chris Wirfs

It's Wirfs!

Image

User avatar
Shadow 13
Member
Posts: 16229
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 6:34 pm
GEMP Username: shadow13

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by Shadow 13 »

itcouldbewirfs wrote: Perhaps, the 2K Qualifier can be open while the regular Day 1 Qualifier is closed. Then if Day 1 people are worried about facing Day 2 players they will just avoid the 2k Qualifier.

Consequences: This will likely cause everyone serious about getting their day 2 bye via Qualifier to opt out of the 2K and leaving it to the Day 2 crowd (which should make for a very competitive tourny.)
this is the first i heard of this 2k thing, but this post is SPOT ON. at the risk of sounding like brad eier:

MAKE IT SO

DO WHAT MUST BE DONE

YOUSA PEOPLE GONNA DIE?
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

arebelspy
Member
Posts: 16203
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by arebelspy »

2 problems:
1) by making the 2k event open, then you're limiting the # of people who can make day 2 (i.e. less events on day 1 where people can qualify - from the open and the 2k event down to the open)
2) people who don't have a bye who DO choose to play in the 2k event can again shenanigans their way in through enough friends in it tanking to them (even if it only happens 1-2 times, if it's the last round or two it's huge). so you have the same problems popalorax mentioned before.

if people are that hard up over $100, talking to the donor seems to be the best thing to move that prize money elsewhere? cause messing with day 1 (having less byes and/or opening it to shens by letting people with byes play) seems bad.

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30732
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by imrahil327 »

arebelspy wrote:1) by making the 2k event open, then you're limiting the # of people who can make day 2 (i.e. less events on day 1 where people can qualify - from the open and the 2k event down to the open)
Not really- last year we only had one Day 1 event, so having one again this year isn't that big a deal, I don't think. It seems like the best solution is to make it an Open (2 bye event). It's not as if it's either/or- the events are far enough apart that people can play in both.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

arebelspy
Member
Posts: 16203
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by arebelspy »

/shrug

okay.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards
Posts: 18121
Joined: August 1st, 2005, 8:00 pm
Location: first street haven
Contact:

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by mikefrench »

imrahil327 wrote:
arebelspy wrote:1) by making the 2k event open, then you're limiting the # of people who can make day 2 (i.e. less events on day 1 where people can qualify - from the open and the 2k event down to the open)
Not really- last year we only had one Day 1 event, so having one again this year isn't that big a deal, I don't think. It seems like the best solution is to make it an Open (2 bye event). It's not as if it's either/or- the events are far enough apart that people can play in both.
could make it have byes to 09 worlds ONLY and let byes pass down so basically it's like a mini-day 1 qualifier.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30732
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by imrahil327 »

That's what I'm saying- make it 2 byes to '09 day 2, passing down to people without byes as usual.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards
Posts: 18121
Joined: August 1st, 2005, 8:00 pm
Location: first street haven
Contact:

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by mikefrench »

imrahil327 wrote:That's what I'm saying- make it 2 byes to '09 day 2, passing down to people without byes as usual.
yah good idea, i think that makes sense. gives something to do for people on friday and gives players that need a bye a chance.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Post Reply

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”