2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Re: 2009 Worlds Schedule of Events

Post by Shadow 13 »

but then you still have this problem, right?
arebelspy wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:Does anyone have any issues with making Day 1 "Top 50% of non-qualified entrants" and allowing anyone to play?
yes, if i had no bye into day 2, i was 3-2 and matched up in my last game against someone already having a bye (and therefore presumably better than the average day 1 participant) and lost, causing me to miss the cut, i'd be upset having flown all that way and losing to day 2 people on day 1 so i couldn't even play.

day 1 should be for people fighting for byes only, otherwise other people can influence it negatively.

ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

yes.

that's why i gave up and shrugged.

it's not that big of a deal.. just a small problem.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Can't that be done at any tournament with a bye though?
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

Shadow 13 wrote:but then you still have this problem, right?
arebelspy wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:Does anyone have any issues with making Day 1 "Top 50% of non-qualified entrants" and allowing anyone to play?
yes, if i had no bye into day 2, i was 3-2 and matched up in my last game against someone already having a bye (and therefore presumably better than the average day 1 participant) and lost, causing me to miss the cut, i'd be upset having flown all that way and losing to day 2 people on day 1 so i couldn't even play.

day 1 should be for people fighting for byes only, otherwise other people can influence it negatively.
But you still have the regular Day 1 qualifier....the 2K event is completely new/different...you've still got the non-bye players in the main Day 1 event, then the 2K could be open to everyone, with the bye(s) still passing down to players without one.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

ok cool. as long as there are closed-to-qualified day 1 tournaments, i'm satisfied and smiling.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

Ironwill654
DS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Ironwill654 »

Hey guys,

I've been reading this and since I just started checking the forums, and am new to the whole worlds tourney thing, I think i'm a little behind. Could someone answer these questions from a "noob":

-What is squirreling? (i'm under the impression it's just taking a stack of randomly drafted cards and trading them with someone else, seen or unseen?)

-Define: open tournament, closed tournament, qualifying tournament.

-With all this talk of open vs closed and qualified tournaments... do you have to qualify to get into the world championship tournament? or have you had to previously place high in another tournament? I'm assuming first day you can play with all the other sucky players and then fight your way to the top to play through day 2 and 3... maybe i'm wrong.

Either way, these tournaments for new people are kinda like prison rape with cards... you get done getting abused by one guy, another guy comes along and has his way with you... so on, so forth... will there be bandages and salve at the tournament to heal things?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Luke:"I won't fail you, I'm not afraid!"
Yoda: "Hmmmh! you will be... You, will, be...."
--------------------------------------------------------------

-IRONWILL-

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Ironwill654 wrote:-What is squirreling? (i'm under the impression it's just taking a stack of randomly drafted cards and trading them with someone else, seen or unseen?)
Squirrel is playing with both LS and DS cards in the same deck. Each player has their own side of the table, but can deploy whatever cards they want on their side. Full game text is still used, leading to some interesting interactions. Uniqueness rules still apply. It's kind of hard to visualized without playing it, but once you play it it makes sense.

This is an attractive format for certain draft formats where you could potentially get a very valuable card. Like in a Reflections III draft, if you got the P59 ultra-rare foil, it would suck if you were drafting for light side. So squirrel solves that.
Ironwill654 wrote:-Define: open tournament, closed tournament, qualifying tournament.
Open tournament is open to anyone. Closed tournament is open only to those who have qualified for it. Qualifying tournament is generally an open tournament and is a tournament to qualify for a closed tournament.
Ironwill654 wrote:-With all this talk of open vs closed and qualified tournaments... do you have to qualify to get into the world championship tournament? or have you had to previously place high in another tournament? I'm assuming first day you can play with all the other sucky players and then fight your way to the top to play through day 2 and 3... maybe i'm wrong.
You're pretty much right. Day 2 is what is generally considered to be the "real deal" and this is the tournament that byes are awarded to throughout the tournament season. But Day 1 is open to anyone (except those who have already qualified for Day 2) and the top half of finishers in that qualify for Day 2.
Ironwill654 wrote:Either way, these tournaments for new people are kinda like prison rape with cards... you get done getting abused by one guy, another guy comes along and has his way with you... so on, so forth... will there be bandages and salve at the tournament to heal things?
I can't comment on the medical supplies that will be available, but yes tournaments can be tough for new players. Your best bet is to try to get practice in beforehand.

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

puck71 wrote:
Ironwill654 wrote:Either way, these tournaments for new people are kinda like prison rape with cards... you get done getting abused by one guy, another guy comes along and has his way with you... so on, so forth... will there be bandages and salve at the tournament to heal things?
I can't comment on the medical supplies that will be available, but yes tournaments can be tough for new players. Your best bet is to try to get practice in beforehand.
Is this your advice for prison rape as well?
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

Ironwill654

Post by Ironwill654 »

Thanks!

i'll practice the card part of the advice... I don't think I'll practice the prison rape part, but for those who would, my advice is to find a bowling pin and sit down on it as hard and fast as gravity will allow, lather, rinse, repeat.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Luke:"I won't fail you, I'm not afraid!"
Yoda: "Hmmmh! you will be... You, will, be...."
--------------------------------------------------------------

-IRONWILL-

deck
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

Ironwill654 wrote:Thanks!

i'll practice the card part of the advice... I don't think I'll practice the prison rape part, but for those who would, my advice is to find a bowling pin and sit down on it as hard and fast as gravity will allow, lather, rinse, repeat.

emphasis on lather.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

BrenDerlin

Post by BrenDerlin »

Worst. Thread. Ever.
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!
Brad Eier wrote:i have no idea who matt thorton is, possibly the son of billy bob?

3MW0J8

Post by 3MW0J8 »

Brad Eier wrote:build better decks, play better cards, etc.
Advocate wrote:I would reply, but the site is down.
didn't choose the thug life..
Spoiler
Show
the thug life chose me

ImageImage

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

whats the word about the Day 1 events, especially the 2000 event? Open to all players or not? Thanks!
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

and which events are using SOS as the tiebreaker? all of them (other than day 3) i assume

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

mr007agent wrote:whats the word about the Day 1 events, especially the 2000 event? Open to all players or not? Thanks!
And if it's open to all, will it still be $40? It would seem like a lot to pay $80 to play in both qualifiers.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Walter Crunkite wrote:and which events are using SOS as the tiebreaker? all of them (other than day 3) i assume
:lol:

we can only hope

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

I will try to get an update on this stuff soon.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

imrahil327 wrote:I will try to get an update on this stuff soon.
Chris, I don't want to rush you or anything, actually I do, because I need to book my flight ASAP! The three week timezone for cheap flights is almost up.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Update:
I have discussed it with the Tournament Committee and the donor, and the Worlds 2000 event will provide byes as follows:
•The entry fee will be $20, rather than $40, and the tournament will be open to anyone, including players who already have byes.
•Two byes will be available for the event, and will be passed down in the normal fashion. The two players receiving these byes will pay an additional $20, for a total of $40, and will not be required to pay the $40 registration fee for Day 2.

Hopefully this is fair to all concerned, and is a great event. Were there any other questions about the schedule?

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

imrahil327 wrote: Hopefully this is fair to all concerned, and is a great event. Were there any other questions about the schedule?
Will you make me 2000era decks?

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”