Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Re: Day 2 Lightside KTOD Profit - Gemme Version

Post by mikefrench »

allstarz97 wrote:how the hell does cct beat profit?
no clue. with iggy? kyle said that iggy beats profit, but i dunno. it worked that way LAST year but i dunno if sitf changes things.

The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

mikefrench wrote:
allstarz97 wrote:how the hell does cct beat profit?
no clue. with iggy? kyle said that iggy beats profit, but i dunno. it worked that way LAST year but i dunno if sitf changes things.
like if he is basing it off of the game vs baroni in last year's top 4 that's probably not a good idea as baroni didnt have a way to consistantly get obis journal out and forgot chewie protectors gametext so disarmed > baroni. the new profit can pull both and be immne to dr e and just drain for 3 = win.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

yah obi's journal is a big big difference. the chewie protector thing made no difference, but if you can't disarm AT ALL iggy can't win.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

mikefrench wrote:so i've always loved ktod decks, but honestly i wasn't super amazed at this profit. it looks ok, it certainly is fast and has strengths, and it had a decent record at 19-3, but so did pretty much all the other ls decks. i mean, joe and kyle went 4-0 with our trm (kyle might've lost a game but i don't think he did) and i went 3-1, losing to sokol. so 11-1? it just seems like all the ls decks were good. i dunno. not to crap on your guys' profit, you obv did well but i'd wager that having a good ds had more to do with that, or having the right matchups with your ds. i know, i had 2 horrible matchups with ds (my own fault for not playing counters for senate tho so that's def chalked up to being bad at swccg, not luck), and i had one coin flip matchup with ds (my hd vs fred's trm, generally i'd say trm should win but it's pretty much a 50/50 matchup). and like, shannon had the worst luck EVER with matchups with his hd.

that rambled a bit, but overall i do like this profit, but i don't think it's super ground breaking or anything. i guess ktod has had so many amazingly ground breaking decks in the past (obv ktod ds senate is #1 on this list, but also gemme's ktod hd which changed the way hd was played from then on, and desai's ktod ls senate was the most perfect ls senate ever, etc), that i just don't see this as fitting in with those 3 ktod decks that i mentioned.

It wasn't perfect, and it wasn't dominant, but it was perfect for the event. Going into this tournament ds players were either running mains and just saying f it i want to fight as well as I can (me, baroni, shannon, nelson all went this route). Or they said, f it, I know ls is better on the ground, I'm taking my fight to the sky and if I don't sace a ls space deck I'm going to outdrain the opponent. Well this profit matched up perfect vs that meta because it A. Outbattles any dark deck. and B. Outdamages/Is faster than any dark deck. So while it might have issues with like ISB space (which can damage and disrupt damage) or a dark deck with 5x undercovers and 5x spies, it was perfect for a meta filled with endor opps, tto, and hd.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

mikefrench wrote:yah obi's journal is a big big difference. the chewie protector thing made no difference, but if you can't disarm AT ALL iggy can't win.
Chewie protector makes it so you cant disarm at all?

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

It wasn't perfect, and it wasn't dominant, but it was perfect for the event.
i would agree completely. i just think some of the past ktod decks WERE pretty much perfect and WERE absolutely dominant. so it's a good deck, i just don't think it's in the same ranks as ktod senate or ktod hd.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

allstarz97 wrote:
mikefrench wrote:yah obi's journal is a big big difference. the chewie protector thing made no difference, but if you can't disarm AT ALL iggy can't win.
Chewie protector makes it so you cant disarm at all?
no i was saying, in the baroni vs kyle match, baroni forgetting to cancel dre's text made no difference - he would've been dominated in that battle regardless. but the journal makes it so iggy can't disarm AT ALL, which really really hurts the iggy deck. so your deck this year starting rycar to get the journal will match up lots better vs iggy.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

mikefrench wrote:
It wasn't perfect, and it wasn't dominant, but it was perfect for the event.
i would agree completely. i just think some of the past ktod decks WERE pretty much perfect and WERE absolutely dominant. so it's a good deck, i just don't think it's in the same ranks as ktod senate or ktod hd.

Agreed. I mean the profit won by small margins this year (along with some on the high 20's) but I don't think it won a single game by 30, whereas the ls senate routinely won by 30+.

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

Baroni did play Obi's Journal against me.

Also, he still loses the game just as bad if he remembers Chewie, Protector. I had IG and his gun in hand with tracked destiny, so it would've been Leia and Chewie instead of just Chewie.

I didn't even get a system set up to drain at, which is the obvious game-plan.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

Meto wrote:Baroni did play Obi's Journal against me.

Also, he still loses the game just as bad if he remembers Chewie, Protector. I had IG and his gun in hand with tracked destiny, so it would've been Leia and Chewie instead of just Chewie.

I didn't even get a system set up to drain at, which is the obvious game-plan.
how did you disarm people when he had the journal?

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

He played it earlier on Obi. I killed him.

Anyways, this is probably all moot anyways. Iggy isn't even in the meta right now and Profit could probably tech for it.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

can you confirm or disconfirm that this deck was inspired in part after booker loaned a profit to some kid at some states event and that kid nearly clowned poor jonny chu?
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

Brad Eier wrote:can you confirm or disconfirm that this deck was inspired in part after booker loaned a profit to some kid at some states event and that kid nearly clowned poor jonny chu?
"disconfirm"

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

lol

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

i'm curious how this would do if luke sitf didn't exist. if the best profit luke was still master luke, would ktod still have played this on days 2 and 3, or would yall have found something else to run with?

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:i'm curious how this would do if luke sitf didn't exist. if the best profit luke was still master luke, would ktod still have played this on days 2 and 3, or would yall have found something else to run with?
I can only speak for myself but Luke SITF > Master Luke by droves. I doubt Profit would've been on the radar if it weren't for the new Luke.

deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

mryellow wrote:
The Smoking Gungan wrote:i'm curious how this would do if luke sitf didn't exist. if the best profit luke was still master luke, would ktod still have played this on days 2 and 3, or would yall have found something else to run with?
I can only speak for myself but Luke SITF > Master Luke by droves. I doubt Profit would've been on the radar if it weren't for the new Luke.

agreed. we were looking for a deck to abuse the new luke, not a luke to be good in our profit.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

Halfwingseen
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Halfwingseen »

deck wrote:I mean, I'm not dismissing anything, I just disagree that a couple of aliens reaching 20 power is going to win a game. the profit is really tough to gameplan against. You go inside, I drain outside. You split up and try to block me, I beat the piss out of you. you try to drain me in space, I drain you faster on the ground with direct damage sources that attack your life force.

send chu the list, he loves scum decks and if it's any good I'm sure he can make it better and we can run some games with it. but if this dark deck is so good, why wasn't it brought to worlds? I think iggy is in the same boat. We tested iggy with original KTOD profit, maybe DFTD changed that matchup, I don't know. I'm just having some discussion about the deck. If people don't like it that much it's no big deal. It raked in 1600 bones for the good guys this weekend and it * just about everything it faced except the guy that won the tournament and 2 losses myself (and that's no slight to ryan, but even he admitted he was done for if I knew how to use blaster proficiency used [I actually was impressed with Ryan's deck and was curious as to what he lost to at worlds because it seemed like what I made my EOPS to be, only ISB seemed a little slower]).
I wasn't saying that reaching 20 power = win. I was just saying it would require multiple characters not just luke SITF. With only using three maybe a fourth character to hold the chamber i can spend the rest of my resources to killing obi/capturing his backup and i realize obi will keep returning to drain but as his backup starts vanishing it gets to the point where my single bounty hunter takes him out. Iggy is very different from a CCT flip deck also. But i'm not saying this deck is "SO GOOD" i'm just saying the deck seems to be a poor matchup for this one. Which i started off by complementing your meta call, since this is clearly a great choice. However had people been willing to take risks with darkside and not just go with stuff they think they could get lucky and pull off a win with, CCT flip would have been a good meta call based on the Light decks used.
Hunter wrote: I think you're right.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

please post said cct flip list so we can see what you're taking about.

does it start 3 effect? amn for new fett?

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

In 2006, when Reid introduced SWCCG to CCT IG-88 style, I recall loving to play against profit in that matchup, and it dismantling some profits in day 2.
Justin Stratton, Northeast Ohio

Play SWCCG online at GEMP

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”