Justin Desai (LS) FW + 18 over Chu.

Brian Hunter (DS) FW +31 over Sokol.
Brian Hunter (LS) FW +5 over Sokol.

Jan Westergard (LS) FW +28 over Olson
Joe Olson (LS) FW +12 over Westergard.

Mike Gemme (DS) FW +1 over Nelson.
Mike Gemme (LS) FW +12 over Nelson.

Round 2:

Brian Hunter (LS) FW +25 over Westergard.
Jan Westergard (LS) FW +19 over Hunter.

Justin Desai (LS) FW +23 over Gemme.
Mike Gemme (LS) FW +11 over Desai.

Round 3:

Brian Hunter (LS) FW +26 over Desai.
Brian Hunter (DS) FW +3 over Desai.

So all in all, there were 14 games played on Day 3.

Light Side won 11/14 (78.6%). I'll do a similar analysis for Day 2.

anything else you'd like to see broken down?

Decks:

Chu/Desai/Gemme - Endor Ops (DS) and Profit (LS)
Hunter - Watto (DS) and WYS (LS)
Westergard - TTO (DS) and LS Combat Racing (LS)
Nelson - Cor Mains (DS) and Hidden Base (V) (LS)
Olson - IG (DS) and EBO (LS)
Sokol - Endor Ops (DS) and EBO (LS)

Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Re: Day 3 Results/Stats

Post by Nitsuj »

a half hour
Justin Stratton, Northeast Ohio

Play SWCCG online at GEMP

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

this is perfect. thanks!
Aglets wrote:I'll do a similar analysis for Day 2.

anything else you'd like to see broken down?
i donno what exactly you're planning, so you might already have this in mind, but i'd like to see day 2 results for the whole field as well as the top 8 broken down.

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

Aglets wrote:Light Side won 11/14 (78.6%)
Wow. Especially condering that 2 of the 3 DS wins were +1 and +3.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Day 3 results are a bit difficult to really count on W/L, since in my experience in match play games/finals, in the second game, once the match is effectively over, someone just scoops.

I'm not saying that happened for all of those matches, but it's more than likely the case in at least a few.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

Schele wrote:Day 3 results are a bit difficult to really count on W/L, since in my experience in match play games/finals, in the second game, once the match is effectively over, someone just scoops.

I'm not saying that happened for all of those matches, but it's more than likely the case in at least a few.
well, if you look at just the first game of each match, there were 5 LS wins and 2 DS wins. So the LS win percentage for just the first games (5/7 = 71.4%) isn't that much different from the overall LS win percentage of 78.6%

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

Schele wrote:Day 3 results are a bit difficult to really count on W/L, since in my experience in match play games/finals, in the second game, once the match is effectively over, someone just scoops.

11 minutes! It only took 11 minutes for Schele to dismiss these results with this reasoning! I was off by a full 19 minutes! I didn't know, maybe Schele was going to put in his 45 minutes of work for the day, that is why I was conservative.

Tune in tomorrow to see him dismiss day 2 results! How long will it take? Only Schele knows!

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

most statistics are made up on the spot.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

I didn't dismiss them, but merely pointing out how Match Play usually works.

Day 2 results are far more indicative of a true W/L for each side since it's Swiss. I doubt anyone would intelligently debate that.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

Schele wrote:I didn't dismiss them, but merely pointing out how Match Play usually works.

Day 2 results are far more indicative of a true W/L for each side since it's Swiss. I doubt anyone would intelligently debate that.
I'm willing to try to unintelligently debate it.

[mod edit] no personal attacks
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Nitsuj wrote:

11 minutes! It only took 11 minutes for Schele to dismiss these results with this reasoning! I was off by a full 19 minutes! I didn't know, maybe Schele was going to put in his 45 minutes of work for the day, that is why I was conservative.

Tune in tomorrow to see him dismiss day 2 results! How long will it take? Only Schele knows!
hilarious win.

woundedwookiee

Post by woundedwookiee »

What do you think about this statistic then though, Schele?:
The Smoking Gungan wrote:well, if you look at just the first game of each match, there were 5 LS wins and 2 DS wins. So the LS win percentage for just the first games (5/7 = 71.4%) isn't that much different from the overall LS win percentage of 78.6%
Brad Eier/AR wrote: labria had gone undercover, and gathered plenty of info for the empire. he was very active, but for our purposes, we will call him inactive. corran horn has a penchant for sniffing out this type of subterfuge, so he is able to honkey-swat labria's undercover away

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

haha...that sample size is too small to be taken seriously.

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

darkjediknight11 wrote:haha...that sample size is too small to be taken seriously.
lol

Throwing out Worlds Day 3 results as not being big enough to be serious? Considering the number of people who use locals on here as statistical evidence, I'd say that Worlds Day 3 is by FAR more useful information given what is at stake. People do NOT want to lose these games.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

Speaking as someone who actually watched the games in action.

What Schele is saying about how someone 'usually' draws up at the end of a match is often the case.

But in this case it almost never was. Ask Sokol, ask Olson, ask Hunter, ask anyone else there. I thought it was a little uncharacteristic...........but it seemed like each and every player was playing their absolute best to try and win each game, regardless of how things looked wrt the overall match.

It was neat to see, and imo it should happen more often.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

_maul wrote: lol

Throwing out Worlds Day 3 results as not being big enough to be serious?
Trying to derive definitive statistical conclusions from 7 games can't be taken very seriously. Doesn't matter that they were the best players of the year...you can't say "OMG DS must be a lot better cause Hunter won by 31 with dark but only 5 with light in round 1...must be the best results since he's the best player!"

deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

I drew up very early agianst justin, but in game 1... he hadn't played edge yet and i didnt want to give him a chance to
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

deck wrote:I drew up very early agianst justin, but in game 1... he hadn't played edge yet and i didnt want to give him a chance to
right, it wasn't giving up, it was strategic play.

i got to way less than the 28 i lost game 1 by, but i wasn't gonna give up and draw, i was gonna fight it out.

and of course i won with ls, lost with ds.

/shrug

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Aglets wrote:Speaking as someone who actually watched the games in action.

What Schele is saying about how someone 'usually' draws up at the end of a match is often the case.

But in this case it almost never was. Ask Sokol, ask Olson, ask Hunter, ask anyone else there. I thought it was a little uncharacteristic...........but it seemed like each and every player was playing their absolute best to try and win each game, regardless of how things looked wrt the overall match.

It was neat to see, and imo it should happen more often.

I agree that a lot of players decided to play it out, but to say 'it should happen more often' is kind of doing a disservice to the Match Play format, since it's a logical strategic decision.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Nitsuj »

darkjediknight11 wrote:haha...that sample size is too small to be taken seriously.
I give you an 8/10 for your method of disqualifying the closest thing we have to objective evidence that there may well be an imbalance with the two sides of the force right now.

I'm very excited to see the day 2 results - I hope you are correct that this sample size is too small and creates a misleading scenario - and reviewing the day 2 results will show a closer to even 50/50 (+-5%) spread for Lightside vs. Darkside. But if it doesn't, will you admit there may be a problem then?

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”