Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Re: Day 3 Results/Stats

Post by darkjediknight11 »

I was never saying there was no problem, i was just pointing out flaws in logic. I'm very aware that there probably is a problem, but you can't use 7 single games as evidence.

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

he wasn't trying to discredit all of the data from all 14 games, just the data from using the first 7 or so (i think anyway). I think the proof will be in the pudding in Day 2 as well, i'll get the data up as time allows.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

Ugh, enough overreactions. I'm not at all discrediting the results from Day 3. Yes, they're good, yes they can be used to show how LS is dominating...but not Day 3 results ALONE. Combine all the results from the weekend and other big post-errata weekends, then make intelligent conclusions.

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Well, as someone who played Day 2, I will attest to the disparity. A majority of the people I played against all day or talked to about how their day was going were X-0 with LS and 0-X with DS. I myself went 3-1 with LS( I F'd up huge and lost a game I should have won) and 1-3 with DS.

Now, my DS games were close ones(lost by 4 and 7 and won by 11...the other loss was 21 but nothing went right that game). However, I think that was simply a matter of the meta being unknown. I expected to see lots of WYS with some Throne Room, LS Senate, and maybe EBO and 1 or 2 Profit decks. Instead it was a LOT of Throne Room decks and a little of everything else(although clearly Profit got 3 people into the Top 8).

I think given enough time, the meta will balance itself out. I also think that the reason there was so much TRM was because Let the wookiee Win can be used as a starting interrupt with Throne Room, and it goes to your hand to help you find your sites/pullers that much faster.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

gogolen wrote:I also think that the reason there was so much TRM was because Let the wookiee Win can be used as a starting interrupt with Throne Room, and it goes to your hand to help you find your sites/pullers that much faster.
I'm personally a little confused why Scomp Link Access got an exception to not work with TRM, but LTWW (seemingly a better card for TRM anyway) got no such exception.

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

gogolen wrote:Well, as someone who played Day 2, I will attest to the disparity. A majority of the people I played against all day or talked to about how their day was going were X-0 with LS and 0-X with DS. I myself went 3-1 with LS( I F'd up huge and lost a game I should have won) and 1-3 with DS.

Now, my DS games were close ones(lost by 4 and 7 and won by 11...the other loss was 21 but nothing went right that game). However, I think that was simply a matter of the meta being unknown. I expected to see lots of WYS with some Throne Room, LS Senate, and maybe EBO and 1 or 2 Profit decks. Instead it was a LOT of Throne Room decks and a little of everything else(although clearly Profit got 3 people into the Top 8).

I think given enough time, the meta will balance itself out. I also think that the reason there was so much TRM was because Let the wookiee Win can be used as a starting interrupt with Throne Room, and it goes to your hand to help you find your sites/pullers that much faster.
The former world champion went 4-0 with his light and 0-4 with his dark.

It's been touched on in other threads but here is a brief run-down of why LS is better than DS right now.

Activation: light has good pullers for war rooms, a 2/0 naboo site (the puller has good text too), and a 3/0. Might I add, a 3/0 is much better than a 2/0.

Dark doesn't have as good pull options, and even if it did, it has to worry about IL-19. That card is retarded for so many reasons - 4 destiny, it goes used if lost, it makes a non-battleground a battleground. It is infinitely better than Presence of the Force, which has a direct canceler (and is not immune to alter).

Similarly, Tantive IV > dark side non-battlegrounds, which directly affects several decktypes (ISB, AoBS, SYCFA, etc).

Both sides have Janus/Mirax, but having Threepio is amazing. There are several ways to get him - the 5 destiny puller, Seeking an Audience, even indirect ways like Control/Tunnel Vision, I Must Be Allowed To Speak, Let The Wookiee Win, How Did We Get Into This Mess, etc. The closest thing dark side has is Force Push, which is once per game, or deck-specific cards like Lott Dod or Captain Bewil. Deck specific sucks. (In fact, one of the only tricks dark had to get cards out of their deck like LS can was Bewil, who was really nerfed ironically in the errata.)

Wokling is much better than any generation effect dark side can start too. And its text is better than Crossfire or Breached Defenses. Why?

Why is Rycar better than the dark side version, I've Lost Artoo? It's infinitely better.

I have to go to work now so I can't continue this, but there are so many more issues. If the PC wanted balance from the errata, why were these issues not addressed or fixed?

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

One thing to add to what Chu said (all excellent points).

Dark Side mains are occasionally all deploy +2 (the good ones) while Mace, Qui, Obi, Luke deploy for their printed amount.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

darkjediknight11 wrote:Ugh, enough overreactions. I'm not at all discrediting the results from Day 3. Yes, they're good, yes they can be used to show how LS is dominating...but not Day 3 results ALONE. Combine all the results from the weekend and other big post-errata weekends, then make intelligent conclusions.
The consolation tournament had nearly a 2:1 LS to DS win ratio.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

Aglets wrote:One thing to add to what Chu said (all excellent points).

Dark Side mains are occasionally all deploy +2 (the good ones) while Mace, Qui, Obi, Luke deploy for their printed amount.
i'll add Revolution to the list. obv there are a number of counters of varying effacacy to Revo (although DS kinda lost one of them [that also countered goo] when Sec. Prec v was erratad). but revo is one of those cards (along with goo and choke in general) that kinda fluctuate in and out of the meta and can totally own you if you happen to zig [take out your revo counters] when the LS zags [throws one or two or seven Revos in their deck]

gogolen
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

Chu speaks the truth. I played against 3 TRM decks on Day 2, and was being out-activated about 13 to 6 by 2nd or 3rd turn. And IL 9 probably cost me all 3 losses.

I used Look Sir droids as my starting interrupt and played the ISB office for the extra 1 force. Every game, by turn 3 at the latest the LS player had IL 9 and a Jedi with a saber at my site draining for 2. Had it not been a battleground, I easily could have played the Coward shield and cancelled the drain(especially since TRM was really only holding 1 actually battleground).

IL 9 and the Tantive making DS locations into battlegrounds might be something to look at more closely in the near future. Not sure what decktypes they were designed to help, but I know which ones they are helping, and those decks didnt need help.

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

reading this thread, it is a shock DS won any games on day 2 whatsoever.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

punkbear
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by punkbear »

i won a few, but i started Imp decree V and played like 3 throne rooms out of four games. So i just ate the ping and used their activation. Kept me in games, heck i know the extra activation from them helped me win the 2 i did with DS.
Do you take your hands and face off before you go to bed?

Jabba Shirt guy, sometimes (I found my Shawn Valdez shirt!!).

"Raul stole everyones U-3PO's"
put this in your sig if Raul stole all your U-3PO's

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

punkbear wrote:i won a few, but i started Imp decree V and played like 3 throne rooms out of four games. So i just ate the ping and used their activation. Kept me in games, heck i know the extra activation from them helped me win the 2 i did with DS.
yeah imp decree v is one of the best cards dark side has right now, and should be in every single dark deck.

sadly i find that the only decks i even think of have a "free" 3rd effect of my starting 3 so i can start this in case of revo or pure outstanding light side choke. this is, of course, a severely limiting factor when it comes to deck building. light side doesn't have this problem.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

mryellow wrote:
punkbear wrote:i won a few, but i started Imp decree V and played like 3 throne rooms out of four games. So i just ate the ping and used their activation. Kept me in games, heck i know the extra activation from them helped me win the 2 i did with DS.
yeah imp decree v is one of the best cards dark side has right now, and should be in every single dark deck.
Funny you mention that... Hunter did NOT have this card in his CRV Mains deck for Day 2.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

mr007agent wrote:
mryellow wrote: yeah imp decree v is one of the best cards dark side has right now, and should be in every single dark deck.
Funny you mention that... Hunter did NOT have this card in his CRV Mains deck for Day 2.
Chu is still correct though. Decree(v) should be in every dark deck. And the missing Decree(v) was not the only thing about my Day 2 DS deck that was awful. (It had Crush in it, for example.)

itcouldbewirfs
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by itcouldbewirfs »

The Smoking Gungan wrote:

i'll add Revolution to the list. obv there are a number of counters of varying effacacy to Revo (although DS kinda lost one of them [that also countered goo] when Sec. Prec v was erratad). but revo is one of those cards (along with goo and choke in general) that kinda fluctuate in and out of the meta and can totally own you if you happen to zig [take out your revo counters] when the LS zags [throws one or two or seven Revos in their deck]
Don't forget Luke SITF > Vader Betrayor. Sith help you if your Betrayor matches up against SITF. Luke works while Vader doesn't in the story line matchup.
Chris Wirfs

It's Wirfs!

jcb213
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jcb213 »

Don't forget A Jedi's Resilience. How many LS decks autoplay 2 or 3 copies of that card because it is so ridiculous and works with immunity mains or epps. Can you imagine if DS had a destiny 6 card that would let you take a just lost character with a lightsaber into hand?

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Well they do have a destiny 4 one, but it's pretty much bad.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

itcouldbewirfs wrote:
The Smoking Gungan wrote:

Don't forget Luke SITF > Vader Betrayor. Sith help you if your Betrayor matches up against SITF. Luke works while Vader doesn't in the story line matchup.
that vader is obv not a counter to luke. try lord vader or darth vader non-v for the anti-sitf vader. but it's true, in general luke > vader right now. dueling takes him down though.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

kryptofis

Post by kryptofis »

Shadow 13 wrote:
that vader is obv not a counter to luke.

Of course not, Ponda Baba(v) is... duh!
Kryptofis

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”