Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Jonny Chu's Worlds TR

Post by mryellow »

This is gonna be pretty comprehensive, so enjoy the read!

Backstory: The alliance of myself and the original team KToD was successful for a number of years resulting in a number of world championship, MPC, nationals and other major event victories, but we left 2008 feeling pretty miserable. After our apex of placing 4 of 4 in Worlds 2003, 2008 day 3 only saw 2 of us in Day 3 and even worse, we looked around at the top tables of Day 2 in Minneapolis and realized we weren't prepared for any of the top decks. The MPC was similarly disappointing, or perhaps even worse - we didn't crack top 4. So we decided to attack 2009 anew. Since Justin and Mike already had their byes, they retired semi-Chu style and put their cards away for the summer so they could tackle the game fresh for worlds. I did the same and, after moving to Philly in September, couldn't wait to get cracking at deckbuilding and testing.

First, I had to get qualified. Before my new job began in mid-September I drove down to MD for MD States, where 6 people showed up, 4 already with byes. After 4 games the only two of us without byes (me and Kevin Elia) were both 2-2 with pretty bad diff (mine was better). Kevin trashed me in game 5 by like 24, but I won in an epic game 6 by 26 or something and finished the day 3-3 with barely positive diff, but more importantly, the bye. Poorly done, but mission accomplished nonetheless.

The next week I took a trip up to Boston with my fiancee and spent a couple of days at Justin's new pad playing some games. We had a sick broken Imperial Entanglements that played Look Sir Droids v to pull Fleet Security and start Flagship v on the Devastator. Nobody had done it before and it pulled the Hunt Down Executor sites for generation along with almost every admiral in the deck. Then it was just mains. The deck was broken, we were super pumped and decided to hide it for the ensuing PA/NJ States weekend where we had to get Steve Baroni qualified. So we drove down to Philly, crashed at my place, got Steve his bye, got some cheesesteaks (Pats > Genos), figured out the Flagship deck doesn't work (it's not immune to Alter WTF), playtested a bit and watched some football. The net result of that frenzied weekend was that we had no dark, could play virtually any light deck FTW, but most importantly renewed our deckbuilding spirits and the beginning of a profit-able exchange of ideas.

For historical record and interest to anyone, I'm going to copy/paste what eventually became our Profit deck here. This is the thread. We probably had 3 of these going every day over emails.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sent: Sun 9/27/2009 8:33 AM
To: Jonathan Chu; Mike Gemme
Cc: Baroni
Subject: RE: LSC

so i played a total of 9 games with the combat and it did really well but it feels a little weird.

3 games vs huntdown 3-0
1 game vs senate 1-0
5 vs endor opps 3-2

first of all the deck is a monster on the ground in terms of fighting. but i dont like how it only goes to the ground. like if another deck just happens to outdamage you in space you lose and i dont liek that. another thing is that it has a lot of dead cards. in 9 games i run luke run'd like once and i dont think i ever played gift. i mean what makes the deck is a tanked up luke, which got me thinking....can we put this guy into another deck?

an idea i had was profit. he would deploy for 3, you could easily start rycar and use all the same tricks we use in the combat, buy your damage would be better and you'd have a betetr start (less icons for oppoenent), also a lot of the changes in the errata help profit. like maul swining once is sick with obis journal, if they start aliens they'll prolly start mara and then you get merc armor etc the only thing you lose is yoda. so .....

here's what i got:

start(9)
profit
2x sites
han
si
se
wokling
rycar
sai torr

places(3)
3x war rooms

people(16)
luke 4x
obi 3x
lando 5 destiny 2x
chewie protector
cpo
corran horn
padme 2x
boush 2x

effects
scrambled
attrocity
lightsaber pro
im with you too 2x
demotion (for chinunu in the space macthups...pullabale)

interupts
run luke run 3x
satm/bp
satm
rebel leadership 3x
2x jedi lev
ajr 3x

green(8)
lukes saber 2x
obi's
bionic 3x
journal
merc armor
han's toolkit

thats around 55 cards so you can see it's loose, we could even play the let the wookiee wins in it.

thoughts?

Sent: Sat 9/26/2009 1:16 PM
To: Justin Desai; Mike Gemme

Yeah I really like the Control/TV still, you'll probably have Yoda out most games and you can just pull it early. It's a little more versatile.

Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:48:06 -0400
To: Chu; Gemme
CC: Baroni

-1 lando + 1 corran?

a fully tanked luke is power 12, immune <8 and draws 2 destinies essentially. insane.

one thing i was thinking is maybe going to 2 lukes sabers as his text only kicks in when you have the saber, like if you miss the sai torr you are boned. maybe cut a jedi saber for it.

Sent: Sat 9/26/2009 12:48 PM

I really think the deck needs a Corran. The spy skill really might come in handy, and he's got good stats to boot.

Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:18:50 -0400

here's what i ran:

--start(9)
same

places(1)
jcc

people(16) - 26
luke 4x
yoda 4x
2x qui non epp (the lose 4 text is too good prolly)
2x mace
obi 2x
lando 2x

green(8) - 34
lukes saber
jedi saber 2x
qui saber
bionic 3x
obis journal
merc armor v

effects(5)
attrocity
im with you too 2x
lightsaber pro
scrambled (i cut civil cuz luke > ds combat i think).

interupts(21)
speak 2x
run luke 2x
gift 2x
jedi pre
blaster deflection
let the wookine win 3x
jedi lev 2x
ajr 3x
bith 2x
impressive 2x
barrier

# is 35

Sent: Sat 9/26/2009 11:32 AM

Yeah LTWW is going to be hard to get. I'm good for myself (I have 3) but I don't know if I can supply you guys.

I do have a billion Jedi concentrations though, don't worry about that.

Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:10:24 -0400

i dont think you can do that. hey chu, can you look for jedi concentrations when you go home? i found 4 in our stuff but if we all play this (day 3?) then we'll need a bunch.

also what are we gunan do about let the wookiee wins? im gunna crack the anh packs i have from your otsds but they are no where to be found.

Sent: Fri 9/25/2009 11:45 PM

Regarding Luke's Bionic Hand, can you do that during any battle? Even if it's not at that location?

"During battle at a battleground, may exchange a card in hand with an interrupt in lost pile."

Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 23:15:32 -0400

sounds good.... yeah id imagine you;d prolly want some barrier hate for like entanglements/setup type decks. let the wookiee win is ridiculous. get this, combined with the auto recirculate text of im with you too you can activate so there are 3 left, play let the wookiee win to to set up 2 then play im with you too so you have the 5 from let the wookiee win and the 2 leftovers. pretty sick.

wrist comlink is pretty sick. run luke run and that with gift is nutty. with jedi presense and bionic luke is a 14 + yoda = 17 (19 at the 2-2 and + 4 if you run luke run....) then at least two destinies, thats 30 power even if they do run justice or what not. id prolly run 1-2 epp obis, you can gift with him too.

idk if you need control tunnel with the 3 let the wookiee wins.

other cards for the deck:

-lightsaber profeiencey
-i hope she's alright
-we're doomed

pretty interesting, im glad we have a list with the new luke, we havent touched him and he's a beast.
Sent: Fri 9/25/2009 11:06 PM

Easily another Mace, a Padme, Corran Horn, the regulars. It's pretty easy to build, we'll get a sense of what it needs after running some games. The number right now is 33.

The LTWWs really let you set up whatever you need. That card is so busted.

Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:57:05 -0400

im starting to think this could be ok...what other characters can we play in it?

Sent: Fri 9/25/2009 10:34 PM
To: Jonathan Chu; Mike Gemme

pretty neat. id runa jedi presense for sure (trick them into battleing and double lukes power....can get it back with bionic etc). maybe a 2nd lando too.

kinda cool, has some holes (ability non v, decks that can set up resisitance, etc) but overall seems really solid. might run a 1x smoke screen to to get around justice and *.

i like it.

Sent: Fri 9/25/2009 6:39 PM
Subject: LSC

This is something I've been meaning to put together for awhile.

Start (9)
We'll Handle This
Inner Strength
AFA
Frigate
Naboo: 3/2
Naboo: 2/2
Wokling v
Rycar v
Sai'torr v

Locations (1)
Coruscant: Jedi Council Chamber (V16)

Characters (13)
Lando Calrissian, Scoundrel
Luke, Strong In The Force (x4)
Mace Windu (V9)
Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Master (x2)
Threepio With His Parts Showing
Yoda, Master Of The Force (x4)

Weapons (4)
Jedi Lightsaber (V9) (x2)
Luke's Lightsaber
Qui-Gon's Lightsaber

Devices (4)
Bionic Hand (V6) (x2)
Obi-Wan's Journal
Wrist Comlink

Effects (7)
Advantage
I'm With You Too (V9) (x3)
Imperial Atrocity (V6)
Mantellian Savrip
Civil Disorder (v)

Interrupts (22)
A Jedi's Resilience (x2)
Away Put Your Weapon (V5)
Control & Tunnel Vision
Dodge (x2)
Gift Of The Mentor (x2)
It Could Be Worse (x2)
Jedi Levitation (V5) (x2)
Let The Wookiee Win (x3)
Rebel Barrier (x2)
Run Luke, Run! (x2)
Speak With The Jedi Council (x2)
Were You Looking For Me?

It's like old-school high destiny LSC, except you use the new Luke who isn't a Jedi and gets around the combat shield.

The premise is you have Luke at the 3/2 and Yoda at the 2/2 draining 3 and 3. Luke is tanked up (you have 3x I'm With You Too, 2x Bionic Hand, and Rycar to pull whatever you don't have like Obi's Journal. Run Luke Run will bring him over to Yoda if they fight him, and Yoda can react to Luke's site with Wrist Comlink. Then you Gift of the Mentor.

Otherwise, you have 3x Let The Wookiee Win to set your * up and 2x Speak to pull the 3/0. The other cards are fluff. Lando Mace Quigon are extraneous guys for fighting/combatting and it's so easy to pull them because all you do is pay to drain and draw.

Oh and when you kill someone and win the battle you play Advantage FTW.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Needless to say we put a lot of time into deckbuilding.

We tested as many decks as we could think of. Some we tried, failed, and discarded as impossible. Almost all of these were dark side. For dark, we needed decks that could beat TRM and WYS. If we could do that, we could go 2-2 and 4-0 with light and qualify. Dark side is SO BAD as everyone has been saying but really it's as bad as it sounds. The game has had periods of time where one side has been dominant over the other but this time it's about as bad as I can remember. Actually, it's worse. IMO, this last big set release was really poorly done. Whoever is in charge needs to weigh how the sides are balanced much more seriously. End rant.

Anyways, I spent 4 hours one day trying to build any version of Agents of the Black Sun that could possibly be played and failed. Dark has no answer for Tantive... or IL-19 to Xizor's site (or Shada's)... can't activate as well as LS... can't manipulate cards as well (no Threepio).. the starting effects are worse (no Rycar, no Wokling)... get shield busted easier than LS... and they lost their two best cards (Blizzard 4 and EPP Maul). The list goes on and on, actually. So Dark Side was almost an utter failure. Mike made a big blue EOPs that was testing well. I brought that, Dan Kim's AT-STs from the MPC, a Dark Senate ISD deck and an Entanglements. I decided to go with the big blue EOPs. For light, Profit was a standout. Included below are decklists.

DARK EOPS BIGGISH BLUE (Mike Gemme version)

Start (6):
Endor Operations
Endor
Endor: Bunker
Endor: DB
Knowledge & Defense v
Prepared Defenses

Locations (2):
Fondor
Blockade Flagship: Bridge

Ships (9):
Judicator x2
Executor
Chimaera
Accuser v
Conquest v
Devastator v
Dominator v
The Emperor's Shield

Vehicles (4):
Blizzard 2 v x2
Tempest 1
Blizzard 4 v

Guys (13):
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Admiral Ozzel
Admiral Chiraneau
General Veers v x2
Officer Evax
Lieutenant Cabbel
Captain Lennox v
DS-61-2
Darth Vader v
Commander Praji v
Captain Godhert
U-3p0

Green (3):
Laser Cannon Battery x3

Effects (11):
Imperial Arrest Order
Dreaded Imperial Starfleet v
Establish Control v
Imperial Decree v
Imperial Decree
Endor Shield v
Tarkin's Bounty v
Imperial Domination v
Lateral Damage
Establish Secret Base v
Ominous Rumors

Interrupts (9):
We Must Accelerate Our Plans x3
They've Shut Down The Main Reactor x2
Imperial Command
Masterful Move
Cold Feet v
Relentless Pursuit

Other (3):
We're In Attack Position Now x3

LS PROFIT (Team KTOD base, Chu-style)

Start (9):
You May Profit... Destroyed
Tatooine: JP
JP: Audience Chamber
Han v
Anger Fear Aggression v
Heading for the Medical Frigate
Sai'tor Kai'fas v
Seeking an Audience v
Rycar Ryjerd v

Locations (2):
Coruscant: JCC v
Naboo: Boss Nass Chambers

Guys (15):
Luke, Strong in the Force x4
Obi-wan Kenobi v x3
Padme Naberrie v
Lando with Axe
Boushh
R2-D2
Threepio with Parts
IL-19
Corran Horn
Chewbacca Protector

Green (6):
Tatooine Utility Belt v
Luke's Saber
Obi's Saber
Mercenary Armor v
Luke's Bionic Hand
Obi-wan's Journal

Effects (9):
Lightsaber Proficiency
Imperial Atrocity x2
A Gift
A Vergence in the Force
Undercover v x2
I'm With You Too v
Underworld Contacts

Interrupts (17):
Speak with the Jedi Council x2
Wesa Gotta Grand Army x2
A Jedi's Resilience x2
Droid Shutdown x2
Let The Wookiee Win v x2
Sorry About The Mess/Blaster Pro
Blaster Deflection
On The Edge
It Could Be Worse
We're Doomed
Trooper Sabacc
Run Luke Run

A detailed discussion about card choices will be posted on Decktech probably.

Worlds 2009 Day 2 GAMES

Game 1: LS vs Wyatt Fox's Hunt Down Epic Dueling.

In testing Profit matched up well against Hunt Down, and when Wyatt flipped over non-V Epic Dueling, I knew it'd be OK because I have the new broken shield that rocks another dark side alternative. Wyatt started Mara Jade and Boba Fett Bounty Hunter v, and deployed the Spaceport Docking Bay with Vader and saber there fairly quickly. My hand wasn't great but I started to Threepio for stuff and soon came down with Tank Luke. He played a Vader's Obsession to duel Luke and unfortunately I won, so Mara went away and Luke did some damage to Boba Fett. I freed Han, Wyatt picked up Vader via the objective and I got some pings + drains in before Vader came back down to Duel. Run Luke Run canceled his next duel attempt and Luke Who Does Not Die did not die and instead beat up his dad. Drains + pings to finish it out.

Win +24.

Game 2: DS vs Joseph Graham's HB matching pilots.

In this meta to do well with Dark Side requires more luck in pairings than skill. I fortunately got a good matchup with my Endor Ops deck and also drew into the Executor rather quickly. it came down for 10 with Thrawn and patrolled the 2-6 parsec range while my other ISDs went where needed. Joseph deployed someone to Aquaris for some activation but the Executor flew over there and, armed with a laser cannon battery, shut down his main reactor. Luke went to Kessel and some other ISDs went over there to deal with the problem. I probed on the 3rd try I think and he never managed to generate a decent threat to my ISDs, who were well backed up by some serious forfeit.

Win + 20 something I think.

Game 3: DS vs Brian Hunter's TRM Revos with SAC.

I was really hoping for the other matchup but thought I could win this one. Hunter revo'd the Bunker turn 1 and drew mostly the first few turns while I set up some ISD with Chiraneau and maybe another ISD at Endor maybe by turn 3 or 4. He put Obi to the <> 2/1 site and eventually got Home One, Ackbar, Haash'n and 5 destiny Lando to the Home One, and Han Chewie Falcon to back it up. We had a battle where he killed a few things and I had to move away to regroup, but eventually came back and shot the Home One. In the meantime, I had the docking bay but he had control of the Blockade Flagship: Bridge and sometimes had Kessel. When we timed out I had knocked out his space package but he was up significantly (17 to 7) and most likely would've won the game. I think this matchup is 50-50 but the deck needed a Monnok to keep his hand size down while he drew for his ships.

TL -17.

Game 4: LS vs Steve Harpster's DS Senate mains.

Man I thought I was beat for sure because I don't play Scrambled and the rest of the KToD decks did. First turn Harpster flipped and got down Tat Maul with double-bladed saber to the 2/0 Maul's site by turn 2, moving him over to my 2/1 exterior site. He also restraining bolted my Threepio on his second turn. I Seeking'd for R2 and threw him in front of Maul with an Undercover. Harpster didn't really like that. Later I found out he had nothing for UC spies. Luke and Saber came down next turn and killed Maul - Luke died too but his cards went Used. Lord Vader then came down to the Naboo: DB, equipped with a saber, but Luke came back with other accessories and this time he didn't die - I'm With You Too nullified the +3 senate effect and Blaster Deflection took care of the saber swing. Later on Chewie, Lando, Padme and IL-19 freed Han and fended off Lord Sidious with Saber and another Maul with saber. Profit then pinged him to death.

FW + 20 something I think.

So now I am 3-1, as is Mike Gemme from our team. I think Desai and Baroni started off slow.

Game 5: LS vs Booker's AT-STs Dan Kim-style.

Booker trounced me 3-0 between MD and PA states so I was out for revenge. Luckily I knew what the cards in his deck did this time and tested the matchup. Booker, by the way, is hilarious and is real fun to play against whether he's kicking your butt or the other way around, so mad props to him. I did my normal thing with Threepio and he did his normal thing going Baron to space and an AT-ST with some dudes and a gun to the docking bay by turn 2. On my turn, I played IL-19 in front of his walker. The following scene ensued:

Booker: "umm, I'm gonna trample that."
Me: "grab it. play droid shutdown."
Booker: "WHATTTT OMG what let me read that card" and his bowels become loose.

It was hilarious!
So I make him undercover, and when he deploys the Back Door with more walkers/guys R2-D2 and Undercover come down. He Tramples him with his second one, but then I seeking for it and Redeploy Undercover (it goes used due to Rycar). Meanwhile, Luke and saber is draining at the exterior site and he goes and kills him with a number of 2/2s three different times but eventually he runs out and Luke survives the numpty charge.

FW +20.

Game 6: DS vs Brian Herold's Sonn Mains Agents 3/2 Luke start.

I started Endor Shield instead of IAO this game to choke him in the beginning. He just drew some cards and I did the same. He put down the 3/2 site with Luke but I luckily got U-3p0 in my opening hand and so blocked that drain for a large portion of the game. I got out some ISD and Emperor's Shield and Chiraneau, and one turn he searches with Wesa for the 2/0 but it's like the one card he has active. I verify, see his deck is mainly ground, so my space is pounding him for drains of 4 and 3 (via Ominous Rumors). He comes down and fights at the docking bay and adds drains at Naboo: Battle Plains but it is a little too little, too late.

FW +18ish.

Game 7: LS vs Brian Hunter's Coruscant mains.

I wanted this win badly to maintain the record in my favor of lifetime wins-losses (going into the game it's tied 3-3). He starts Arica v and Dr Evazan which is really good because he retrieves until I deploy Luke which sucks for me. He also starts Crush which sucks because of Monnok. Early he gets down Choke Vader and saber and Tarkin to the Audience Chamber, and the Emperor. He Snipers my A Gifted Threepio. I don't do much so he Elis's Arica and the Emperor to the 2/1 (which I grab) and plays Zuckuss in Mist Hunter to Coruscant with a Presence of the Force. My turn, I play Tank Luke, Obiwan with Saber, Padme and Lando to the exterior site for big drains. IL-19 also goes undercover at the 2/1 site. So I'm outdamaging him. He eventually kills IL with a sniper by P-59 (2 direct dmg sucks) and I feel the pressure. So I move my big guns (Obi, Luke, Lando, Chewbacca Protector) into the audience chamber which is now occupied by only Evazan, Vader and Tarkin. I need to free Han to feel like I'm going to win for sure.

Hunter thinks a moment, and activates until he has 4 in his reserve. He announces Elis everyone to the adjacent exterior site, which is occupied by Padme and Boushh (broken cover). His second Elis gets grabbed and he pays the 5 he draws. After draining, I free Han and he is about to fight but I Trooper Sabacc! So he has to draw 2 cards and actually wins the Sabacc cuz I bust but then he only has one destiny left. He fights anyway, I Run Luke Run big Luke over, he chokes Padme and I slice Tarkin, make him immediately lost with Blaster Pro, add an attrition destiny and clear the site. After that it's draining and pinging out.

FW +14.

At this point Mike is 5-2 with mediocre diff. Justin is 4-3 with even worse diff. Steve is pretty much out of the picture. I'm 6-1. Mike plays Greg Shaw, Justin plays someone and I play Joe Pinto. In Mike's game, whoever wins is in; Joe has to win to get in. Justin needs to win big to even have a shot.

Game 8: DS vs Joe Pinto's WHAP.

I start Imp Decree v for sure against this matchup. First turn deploy some ISD, Fondor, the Squadron, and separate them because I figure he has no space. He flips and is pinging me. The whole game is a battle over the docking bay - I go down with Ozzel Veers and a walker and he plays Mace and smoke screens. I'm saving my grabber for the Tunnel Vision which he never plays. Literally ever turn I drop dudes and he kills them, and in a deck where my destinies are pretty awful I can't draw anything lower than a 4 to save my life. He adds a Fallen Jedi eventually to the mix and is overpowering me and canceling every single destiny I draw but I keep throwing guys down and sometimes retrieving with Imp Dom. Meanwhile I drain for 4 and 2 in space. He is pinging and retrieving with Uh-Oh. Eventually I outdamage him.

FW +15 or something.

So I finish in first, Desai wins big his last game and Gemme beats Shaw. The three of us advance as does my good friend Matty Sokol who closes out his day at 6-2. It's late and we get food and talk decks but dark side is so atrocious we have no real other options. Plus, Justin and I are playing each other, and the winner gets the winner of Mike and Aaron Nelson, so conceptually we could be playing each other all the way to the finals. We're splitting money so that's not a big deal but it's always weird to team/room with the person you're playing in Day 3. Neither one of us screws the other person over entirely (like playing an auto-matchup vs the other's decks) but we both put in tech cards for the other and he out-techs me a bit. In his profit he added a fourth Atrocity and took out the Sabacc (we all played the Sabacc shield in day 3) and a second Vergence. I put in a second Vergence as well and a Monnok to limit his hand but it doesn't come into play. I also add a TIE Assault Squadron for a quicker turn 1, but it's pretty much irrelevant because of the Profit retrieval.

Day 3 games.

I choose light side and play Justin Desai's Endor Ops.

I free Han before I get 5 cards in lost pile and drop the Belt. My gameplan is to hit him hard quick and hopefully get the On The Edge/Flash of Insight loop going for at least a turn, but I can't find Flash. He plays an ISD, gets the Squadron (this is turn 2 or 3) and moves them apart. He avoids Tatooine altogether and bunkers a bit with a few guys on an AT-AT at the Docking Bay. Vergence comes down eventually on both systems. I play IL-19 and Bousshh (broken cover) to the Bunker to increase Belt ping damage (he lost Imp Decree v off the top earlier) but he fights them and I win eventually but only ping for maybe 1 or 2 more because of it. I Edge once, and get out Padme late, and win solidly by 15.

The next game is the mirror match for all intents and purposes. Kind of.

I go Fondor, ship, TIE Assault Squadron and separate them. He plays Luke and saber and lightsaber pro, and Threepio. After I drain for 4 he frees Han (I don't want to blow a shield for Coward) and during his turn he drops the belt and moves Luke over in a gutsy play to deal more damage and deploy less cards (no protection for Han). I don't want to test whether he has Run Luke Run or not. I figure if I bunker like he did I will be able to do more damage than he did because I started faster with the TIE assault squadron, and he only plays one Vergence, but lo and behold he added a second Vergence as well. And actually more clutch, he canceled my control/SFS on the first Vergence. So that didn't go well. I thought it was still winnable possibly until he dropped Boussh and Leia's Gun and shot Blizzard 2 with a tracked 6 and Blaster proficiency. After that it was game over. He won by 18 but had maybe 5 cards in his hand too.

I was disappointed because unlike last year, I felt like I was on top of my game this year. But mad props to Justin who almost went all the way and to our deck-making process this year, which really kicked into high gear basically the entire last three weeks. Everyone contributed and our decks were a real team effort.

As always, it was real cool to see everyone again, from my old Team Albany compatriots and the Endor people to the SoCal guys, the Aussie that came and everyone else. It was a mad fun event and I hope SWCCG continues to attract the good crowd that it does at these big events.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by mryellow on October 14th, 2009, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkBro
DS Region: Kiffex

Re: Jonny Chu's Worlds TR

Post by DarkBro »

mryellow wrote:Game 8: DS vs Joe Pinto's WHAP.

I start Imp Decree v for sure against this matchup. First turn deploy some ISD, Fondor, the Squadron, and separate them because I figure he has no space. He flips and is pinging me. The whole game is a battle over the docking bay - I go down with Ozzel Veers and a walker and he plays Mace and smoke screens. I'm saving my grabber for the Tunnel Vision which he never plays. Literally ever turn I drop dudes and he kills them, and in a deck where my destinies are pretty awful I can't draw anything lower than a 4 to save my life. He adds a Fallen Jedi eventually to the mix and is overpowering me and canceling every single destiny I draw but I keep throwing guys down and sometimes retrieving with Imp Dom. Meanwhile I drain for 4 and 2 in space. He is pinging and retrieving with Uh-Oh. Eventually I outdamage him.

FW +15 or something.
Awesome TR (w/ extra behind-the-scenes info). The only thing that caught me was the "drain for 4 and 2 in space" thing. Do you mean you drained for 2 in space, and 4 in total? Or that you drained 4 at one system (Fondor I guess) and 2 at the other (Endor)?
Image Image
Member of TBO and Team Image

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

DarkBro wrote:

FW +15 or something.
Awesome TR (w/ extra behind-the-scenes info). The only thing that caught me was the "drain for 4 and 2 in space" thing. Do you mean you drained for 2 in space, and 4 in total? Or that you drained 4 at one system (Fondor I guess) and 2 at the other (Endor)?
Yeah I believe I was draining for 4 at Fondor with Chiraneau and 2 at Endor with the TIE Squadron.

DarkBro

Post by DarkBro »

mryellow wrote:
DarkBro wrote:

FW +15 or something.
Yeah I believe I was draining for 4 at Fondor with Chiraneau and 2 at Endor with the TIE Squadron.
Ok, I guess that means your opponent wasn't enforcing the 7-side of his objective all game or you flipped him back at some point. Regardless, congrats on the showing!
Image Image
Member of TBO and Team Image

deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

great job dude!
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

Nice write up Chu! Good to see you again at worlds and congrats on your top 8 finish! Also, I loved reading the emails back and forth between you, desai and gemme. Kevin and I spend a lot of time deckbuilding but have the advantage of being able to play more in person so we don't need to email a whole lot.
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!

Image Image

deck
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

haha I don't think any of my emails were in there. I dont think I said a lot in the profit/lsc thread, that deck developed over the course of just a couple days and after seeing it in action once or twice i was convinced.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Airdog2003 wrote:Nice write up Chu! Good to see you again at worlds and congrats on your top 8 finish! Also, I loved reading the emails back and forth between you, desai and gemme. Kevin and I spend a lot of time deckbuilding but have the advantage of being able to play more in person so we don't need to email a whole lot.
<----BLOWN OUT

Good report, awesome read!
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

FYI Wyatt's last name is Fox. Congrats!
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

imrahil327 wrote:
Airdog2003 wrote:Nice write up Chu! Good to see you again at worlds and congrats on your top 8 finish! Also, I loved reading the emails back and forth between you, desai and gemme. Kevin and I spend a lot of time deckbuilding but have the advantage of being able to play more in person so we don't need to email a whole lot.
<----BLOWN OUT

Good report, awesome read!
lol tear.

yeah endor emails a lot too, having a team to talk tech with is amazing.

awesome tr chu and congrats on yet another top 8.

Saladas

Post by Saladas »

i think you had one destiny that went through. it was your thrawn, but you ended up cancelling it yourself with imp domination v. so i dont think any destiny got through, which is kinda ridiculous.

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Great TR! Thanks for getting these up so fast guys.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

puck71
GEMP Username: puck71

Post by puck71 »

Ozzel (v) is money against WHAP.

Great TR and insight!

marsrover21
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by marsrover21 »

mryellow wrote: Game 7: LS vs Brian Hunter's Coruscant mains.

I wanted this win badly to maintain the record in my favor of lifetime wins-losses (going into the game it's tied 3-3). He starts Arica v and Dr Evazan which is really good because he retrieves until I deploy Luke which sucks for me. He also starts Crush which sucks because of Monnok. Early he gets down Choke Vader and saber and Tarkin to the Audience Chamber, and the Emperor. He Snipers my A Gifted Threepio. I don't do much so he Elis's Arica and the Emperor to the 2/1 (which I grab) and plays Zuckuss in Mist Hunter to Coruscant with a Presence of the Force. My turn, I play Tank Luke, Obiwan with Saber, Padme and Lando to the exterior site for big drains. IL-19 also goes undercover at the 2/1 site. So I'm outdamaging him. He eventually kills IL with a sniper by P-59 (2 direct dmg sucks) and I feel the pressure. So I move my big guns (Obi, Luke, Lando, Chewbacca Protector) into the audience chamber which is now occupied by only Evazan, Vader and Tarkin. I need to free Han to feel like I'm going to win for sure.
LOL. I think the World Champ was trying to convince us that Crush was bad in another thread.

Anyway, great work. V. cool TR with lots of behind the scenes stuff.
kevbozzz wrote:I must be a red rock, because I just got crushed by marsrover.

darklordofthesith
DS Region: Endor
DS Region: Endor

Post by darklordofthesith »

Thanks chu, great report

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

great report, good insight, and thanks for the ds decklist (printing now...)
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

DVD ROTS
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by DVD ROTS »

So, does the MM do anything except cancel Savrip and be a used 6 in the DS?

Really sweet report, and strong finish; it's kind of harsh for you to have to play Justin first round day 2 (just 'cause it makes it more difficult to brainstorm decks and such), but good job nonetheless. Hope to see you at some events this year.
Kevbozzz wrote:When you're crushing Hyperdrive with BHBM, Booker doesn't come rappelling through your kitchen window demanding that you play real decks.

jawa_knight
LS Region: Mon Calamari
LS Region: Mon Calamari

Post by jawa_knight »

Hugely appreciated to be able to get a insight into how a top team builds decks

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

marsrover21 wrote: LOL. I think the World Champ was trying to convince us that Crush was bad in another thread.
It is bad. And right there in what you quoted from Chu, he says "He also starts Crush which sucks" so we both agree that it sucks. :)

marsrover21
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by marsrover21 »

Heh. I knew you would come on here with Crush hate again. C'est la vie.

Fwiw, I think you misunderstood the TR tho. Chu says it sucks because you can pull monnok and use it on him. Unless you were trying to be funny. In which case, haha.
kevbozzz wrote:I must be a red rock, because I just got crushed by marsrover.

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”