Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Day 2 Dark: EOPS Biggish Blue

Post by deck »

I know Chu posted this (with one card different) in his tournament report, but I still wanted to post it to explain some things and for dicussion. This deck went 3-1 for both me and Johnny Chu on day 2 of worlds, putting us both in the top 5 and into day 3.

Start (6):
Endor Operations
Endor
Endor: Bunker
Endor: DB
Knowledge & Defense v
Prepared Defenses

Locations (2):
Fondor
Blockade Flagship: Bridge

Ships (9):
Judicator
Tyrant
Executor
Chimaera
Accuser v
Conquest v
Devastator v
Dominator v
The Emperor's Shield

Vehicles (4):
Blizzard 2 v x2
Tempest 1
Blizzard 4 v

Guys (13):
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Admiral Ozzel
Admiral Chiraneau
General Veers v x2
Officer Evax
Lieutenant Cabbel
Captain Lennox v
DS-61-2
Darth Vader v
Commander Praji v
Captain Godhert
U-3p0

Green (3):
Laser Cannon Battery x3

Effects (11):
Imperial Arrest Order
Dreaded Imperial Starfleet v
Establish Control v
Imperial Decree v
Imperial Decree
Endor Shield v
Tarkin's Bounty v
Imperial Domination v
Lateral Damage
Establish Secret Base v
Ominous Rumors

Interrupts (9):
We Must Accelerate Our Plans x3
They've Shut Down The Main Reactor x2
Imperial Command
Masterful Move
Control / Set for Stun
Relentless Pursuit

Other (3):
We're In Attack Position Now x3

This deck is a lot different from the original list I put together on day 1 of testing this deck. It had Admiral Motti instead of Chiraneau, it contained Watts and no squadron or Judicator (mainly because I forgot). I really wanted either Watts v or Grond v in the deck to handle drains, but since I was only playing 2 systems Grond was not optimal, and since Watts needed to be at a related site, he was not optimal.

This EOPS is a culmination of all my frustrations with dark side. I decided that general veers in a walker is the most resiliant thing dark has on the ground. Maul YA would be really good except for Luke, SITF and veers with IAO forfeit fodder on the walker is about the only thing I could find that stood up to the new Luke. I really wanted veers on a walker with cabbel and either Evax or Lennox v. I wanted to fit in a wulf yularen v, but sometimes space is as important as the ground and another forfeit 7 guy would've been great, I really need pilots for my star destroyers to have immunity via the Admiral's Order: We're in attack position now, because I decided to run it over Kuat Drive Yards v (which cancels it now).

The Gameplan is to start Dreaded Imperial Starfleet v, Imperial Arrest Order, and Establish Control in just about every matchup. Against WHAP you obviously need to start Imperial Decree V over DISv because of the direct damage and WHAP giving up four Icons. Against the HBv deck that socal ran, I decided to start decree v. On day three though, Nelson didn't really get good activation going and it was a waste. Against TRM you need to make a tough decision and start Imperial Decree v and also endor shield. You have to star endor shield because if they revo your bunker first turn you can never get it without Accelerate or Luck. If you know you're playing against a non-revo version then you could decide not to start Endor Shield, but I don't know why anyone would not play revo's in their TRMs.

The most important thing about running this deck is knowing what's in your force pile. My first turns always take a long time because I go through the following progression. Control Phase: search with objective. Pull Endor shield, Pull Fondor, Pull Docking bay (I took this out for day 2 but I think it's a card that should probably go back in), hopefully pull the bridge with one of 3 accelerates and then COUNT COUNT COUNT.

4 walkers
8 destroyers
12 imperials
4 Bridges (if you didn't already get it) in accelerate/bridge
3 AOs

and if in a matchup where space is an issue:
3 guns
2 Shut down the main reactor.

Which brings me to my next point. A lot of the throne rooms are using capitals with bright hope and tantiv. These guns absolutely destroy this type of space package. It's also very good vs. WYS, I didn't lose a game in playtesting to WYS and in one game, I had a star destroyer with thrawn, ozzel, and chiraneau shot down by the medium transport v, and I still came back and won with the executor, judicator and a gun being really, really strong.

Shut down the main reactor is a total blowout card. You move a giant force in front of their force, they try and move away, after they move leaving one ship there, you shut down their main reactors and beat the piss out of them. it's also good when they stack everybody on the tantiv and none of them can draw destiny.

This deck can be a little fragile in space without KDY giving immunity to every ship but with 3 AOs you shouldn't have much of a problem finding it and getting it out in matchups where you need it. The deck is otherwise resiliant in space and on the ground with forfeit fodder being the key. If you can flip your objective, barring smoke screen or darklighter (always grab darklighter), you'll never lose more than 1 guy as long as you can keep evax and lennox and cabbel where they need to be. those three guys are your lifeblood and the three most important guys in the deck after veers.

Two veers is certainly the call.

for day 3, u3po became arica because we didnt realize u3po made domination lost. That's the only day 3 change that this deck should stick with. You could also putin the ANH tie squadron because even if the professor is out it deploys for free, but it's a lot weaker than the 6 power, 6 forfeit Emperor's shield. Chu put in the tie assault squadron because he knew he was facing justins profit and wanted to be fast and make justin waste a shield, I don't know if I'd make that change at a championship level tournament like day 2, but it was certainly a good call in the bracket tournament.

Deciding to go to space or ground first is tough, it depends on the matchup and how many forces you're generating. most light decks are ground focused right now so you really want to wait until you can get veers down with at least 2 guys ont he walker with him. A lot of light decks cant get to space as quickly as you, and it's okay to go fast because this deck can come back from losing a ship or two. If it baits them into putting a ship out that you can otherwise beat the crap out of, it's okay. Even han chewie and the falcon, between relentless pursuit and shut down the main reactor, can end up topdecking a bunch of cards vs. this deck.

If left alone this deck can do serious damage in space with drains of 4 and 3 between ominous rumours and admiral chiraneau. Vergeance is really bad for this deck but you do run a control and you could even run 2. It might be wise to run a non-combo control for decks running set for stun cancelers, but set for stun can be really good vs. watch your step if you're duking it out in space.

Anyway, feel free to discuss the deck, it's by no means perfect, but it is really strong at one site and multiple systems, it can drain for a lot of force and it can do some tricky things.

feel free to ask about card choices too.

Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

mr007agent

Re: Day 2 Dark: EOPS Biggish Blue

Post by mr007agent »

If you are flipping, I don't see how you aren't running the biker scouts Sergeant Elsek and Sergeant Barich. Those guys on a walker with Veers is untouchable and you can retrieve them as well.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

deck

Post by deck »

I did run barich on day 3 but could not find a spot for elsek
Mike "Deck" Gemme

mr007agent

Post by mr007agent »

I personally would take out DS-61-3 and change Masterful Move to the combo. I noticed this wrecked Sokol against Hunter.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

deck wrote: I don't know why anyone would not play revo's in their TRMs.
Because they are AWFUL at Star Wars CCG and think that "Decree(v) beats Revo."
with 3 AOs you shouldn't have much of a problem finding it
Yeah, 3x the Admiral's Order is money. I was REAL surprised that after Justin lost one copy of the AO, and I replaced his 2nd one with ITTL, he then re-replaced it with a 3rd copy. I did not see that coming.
for day 3, u3po became arica because we didnt realize u3po made domination lost.
I totally got blown out by this deckbuilding error. The first card Chu lost against me was Domination(v), so later in the game, after a long pause, I decide to lose SATM, because "no way would they be using Domination and U3PO in the same deck, right?" and then Chu immediately deploys U3PO. Same turn. Gah! :)
It's also very good vs. WYS, I didn't lose a game in playtesting to WYS
I didn't playtest with OR against Endor Ops before Worlds (I misread the meta something FIERCE) but since you are obviously familiar with the matchup, how would you explain Game 1 of the Final Confrontation? Did Justin just draw the wrong cards? Was I using cards that weren't in the WYS you playtested against? Or was it something else?

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

mr007agent wrote:I personally would take out DS-61-3 and change Masterful Move to the combo. I noticed this wrecked Sokol against Hunter.
The deck is probably used to being able to take possession of a "Celebration system" under normal circumstances. And being able to track a 6 instead of a 5 for Set for Stun could be pretty big sometimes. I would normally say "combo version, definitely" but in a deck with this many starships, I can see both sides of the argument.

deck

Post by deck »

Hunter wrote:
I didn't playtest with OR against Endor Ops before Worlds (I misread the meta something FIERCE) but since you are obviously familiar with the matchup, how would you explain Game 1 of the Final Confrontation? Did Justin just draw the wrong cards? Was I using cards that weren't in the WYS you playtested against? Or was it something else?

I think what really boned justin in your game of the final confrontation was that he couldn't find a walker. You're looking at one of the first 3 games justin ever played with this deck that wasn't a solitaire game, so the learning curve was going to be pretty tough. I think he did the best with what he had, but you went ultra fast to space versus him, and he was going ultra slow because of his need to find a walker and take extra turns to draw. I think if justin had a decent hand, and could attack your first turn ship, it would've given you problems. he also did not find a shut down the main reactors against you, which would've allowed him to set up a beatdown. we also havent tested with the new han, because I didn't think he was that good until I watched your match.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

Hunter wrote:
mr007agent wrote:I personally would take out DS-61-3 and change Masterful Move to the combo. I noticed this wrecked Sokol against Hunter.
The deck is probably used to being able to take possession of a "Celebration system" under normal circumstances. And being able to track a 6 instead of a 5 for Set for Stun could be pretty big sometimes. I would normally say "combo version, definitely" but in a deck with this many starships, I can see both sides of the argument.
We also made the changes to the deck for Day 3 to make it more easily hit the super Home One package, mainly the AO that shoots at -4 vs capitals and taking out Lateral Damage and the Executor because the former is canceled by that one squid and the Executor wouldn't be as good as a second Judicator. I think if EOPs drew into an Executor and stacked it it would be easier to hold the celebrating system, or at least divert LS resources away from, say, Kessel.
Obviously the -4 AO is a waste of space against WYS.

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

We tried to fit in an Elsek because Barich's game text is so money. But that he doesn't add power to anything and he's only ability 1 was against him. He's pretty much useless in space unless with Barich.

DS-61-2 is money with Space Vader.

mryellow
World Champion
World Champion

Post by mryellow »

deck wrote: for day 3, u3po became arica because we didnt realize u3po made domination lost. That's the only day 3 change that this deck should stick with. You could also putin the ANH tie squadron because even if the professor is out it deploys for free, but it's a lot weaker than the 6 power, 6 forfeit Emperor's shield. Chu put in the tie assault squadron because he knew he was facing justins profit and wanted to be fast and make justin waste a shield, I don't know if I'd make that change at a championship level tournament like day 2, but it was certainly a good call in the bracket tournament.
I also gotta give props to Aaron Kingery for the TIE Assault tech. I wouldn'tve thought up something that crazy.

jcb213
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jcb213 »

Did you guys consider Corporal Vandolay (V) as a possibility in the deck? He's a pilot, forfeits for 7 with IAO, and screws with smugglers' forfeit. His only drawback is his deploy cost of 3.

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

why the v accuser. I mean, both versions are equally good, was just wondering your thoughts.
Well, Bye.

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

MAVanDriel wrote:why the v accuser. I mean, both versions are equally good, was just wondering your thoughts.
I'd guess the ability 2 would be the biggest factor.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

deck

Post by deck »

MAVanDriel wrote:why the v accuser. I mean, both versions are equally good, was just wondering your thoughts.

we found that we never had enough force to react, but the power +1 gametext would be pretty good, and we needed the hyperspeed 4 ship, so we just picked the better one.
Mike "Deck" Gemme

AnakinSolo
Retired Advocate

Post by AnakinSolo »

cool. Thanks.
Well, Bye.

retwin316
LS Region: Corellia
LS Region: Corellia

Post by retwin316 »

deck wrote:
Hunter wrote:

I think what really boned justin in your game of the final confrontation was that he couldn't find a walker. You're looking at one of the first 3 games justin ever played with this deck that wasn't a solitaire game, so the learning curve was going to be pretty tough. I think he did the best with what he had, but you went ultra fast to space versus him, and he was going ultra slow because of his need to find a walker and take extra turns to draw. I think if justin had a decent hand, and could attack your first turn ship, it would've given you problems. he also did not find a shut down the main reactors against you, which would've allowed him to set up a beatdown. we also havent tested with the new han, because I didn't think he was that good until I watched your match.
I think you will find that wys is pretty good against this build of endor ops. Espicially if they have things to mess with your cannons like sabotage.

WYS is so resilient, and has many ways to stop starship weapons, or at least it should.

I don't think not having a walker was hurting him as bad as the speed of wys. I don't think one walker would have changed things that much, the way that game was going. It would have taken a whole lot more.

DerekChng
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
GEMP Username: derek

Post by DerekChng »

Hey I also have a very similar build I made one year back. But I captialize more on the strength of weapons with these added cards:

Imp Command x2
Relentless Pursuit x3
Shut Down Main Reactor
Imp Arty x2
I've Lost Artoo
Something Special Planned for Them

My ground force is also similar with few exceptions:

Stunning Leader
Perimeter Patrol
Last edited by DerekChng on October 25th, 2009, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Hunter wrote:
deck wrote: I don't know why anyone would not play revo's in their TRMs.
Because they are AWFUL at Star Wars CCG and think that "Decree(v) beats Revo."
with 3 AOs you shouldn't have much of a problem finding it
Yeah, 3x the Admiral's Order is money. I was REAL surprised that after Justin lost one copy of the AO, and I replaced his 2nd one with ITTL, he then re-replaced it with a 3rd copy. I did not see that coming.
for day 3, u3po became arica because we didnt realize u3po made domination lost.
I totally got blown out by this deckbuilding error. The first card Chu lost against me was Domination(v), so later in the game, after a long pause, I decide to lose SATM, because "no way would they be using Domination and U3PO in the same deck, right?" and then Chu immediately deploys U3PO. Same turn. Gah! :)

I don't think there's anyway I really win that game, but I will say when I playtested our wys vs this endor opps the endor was able to win and win quite handily, the three testing games the endor opps deck flipped quick and found space quick...the game in the final was the opposite. In playtesting there was no turn 1 luke in any of those games so maybe thats what really makes the difference.

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”