Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
Aglets
Rules Advocate

SWCCG Worlds 2009 Player Survey Results

Post by Aglets »

Getcha popcorn ready!

So shortly before Worlds Day 2 began, a short player survey was distributed to anyone willing to participate. Out of 53 possible day 2 participants, 32 surveys were returned. Not exactly the return we were hoping for, but what can you do. I certainly wasn't going to force anyone to do it.........but I guess I could have pushed it a bit harder.

Also, there may be questions as to the degree some players took it seriously. Some surveys left questions blank and the such. At any rate, for you math whizzes out there who deduce that not all of the totals add to 32......that is the reason.

The Advocates were happy to get a response from the worlds participants anyway.......and in the interest of full disclosure, here are the Survey Results.

QUESTION 1 Would you prefer that Worlds be held in the Summer or Fall?

Summer - 16 votes
Fall - 12 votes

QUESTION 2 If Worlds 2009 had been held in the summer, how likely would you have been to attend?

It would have been easier for me to attend - 10 votes
It wouldn't have mattered either way - 12 votes
I likely would have attended but it would have been more difficult - 2 votes
I likely would NOT have been able to attend - 6 votes

QUESTION 3 Do you think the current role differential plays in the tournament structure is fine or should the PC seriously consider an alternative such as Strength of Schedule?

Differential is fine - 12 votes
We should look at an alternative - 17 votes

QUESTION 4 What do you think about how timed games are currently handled in the tournament structure?

Current system is fine - 12 votes
Current system is ok but would be better if we had more time - 9 votes
System needs some change - 12 votes

QUESTION 5 What are your thoughts on Goo Nee Tay?

Goo is fine - 17 votes
It needs a counter- 13 votes
-if a counter was given, would you support a shield?
Yes - 11 votes
No - 5 votes

Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

spideyguy0

Re: SWCCG Worlds 2009 Player Survey Results

Post by spideyguy0 »

It'd be nice if people who weren't at Worlds could take this survey too. Although people at fall worlds saying they would rather have a summer worlds has to count for something.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

WOO GOO WINS!

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

I didn't even get a survey.

FWIW here is what I would have answered.
QUESTION 1 Would you prefer that Worlds be held in the Summer or Fall?
Fall
QUESTION 2 If Worlds 2009 had been held in the summer, how likely would you have been to attend?
It wouldn't have mattered either way
QUESTION 3 Do you think the current role differential plays in the tournament structure is fine or should the PC seriously consider an alternative such as Strength of Schedule?
We should look at an alternative
QUESTION 4 What do you think about how timed games are currently handled in the tournament structure?
Current system is fine
QUESTION 5 What are your thoughts on Goo Nee Tay?
It needs a counter
-if a counter was given, would you support a shield?
Yes
Last edited by Lukes Bionic Hand on October 20th, 2009, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

woundedwookiee

Post by woundedwookiee »

Schele wrote:WOO GOO WINS!
Then get rid of the BFHI shield please.
Brad Eier/AR wrote: labria had gone undercover, and gathered plenty of info for the empire. he was very active, but for our purposes, we will call him inactive. corran horn has a penchant for sniffing out this type of subterfuge, so he is able to honkey-swat labria's undercover away

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Sorry, it wasn't on the poll.

JarJarDrinks

Post by JarJarDrinks »

The poll seriously needed a Leia, RP destiny # question.
dx_37 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 12:12 pm
I would be all for a reset if I get to be on the reset team
"Faith means making a virtue out of not thinking."
- Bill Maher

"How you play the game is important. But for me, it's about if you win or lose."
- Derek Jeter

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

JarJarDrinks wrote:The poll seriously needed a Leia, RP destiny # question.
agreed
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

heh, yeah.

so those first 2 questions make a summer worlds seem much more desirable? (as we've known for years?)

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

For what it's worth, I think that most of the question results came out too close to call as far as actually being able to show one side conclusively ahead of another.

I guess that could be interpreted to mean that the majority of players don't actually favor drastic change right now.

Although as Casey pointed out........I think the most telling result of the poll was Question 1.
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

spideyguy0 wrote:It'd be nice if people who weren't at Worlds could take this survey too.
This. Increase the sample size to like 100-200 as opposed to 20-30, and you'll have results that will better represent the entire community.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
spideyguy0 wrote:It'd be nice if people who weren't at Worlds could take this survey too.
This. Increase the sample size to like 100-200 as opposed to 20-30, and you'll have results that will better represent the entire community.
I doubt we could get 100 people to fill this out. Definitely not 200.
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

Anodos wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:
I doubt we could get 100 people to fill this out. Definitely not 200.
You don't think at least 100 people would respond to a survey posted on the Discussion forums? I sure think so.

If you do happen to do this (though I'm not holding my breath), make sure there's plenty of options to represent more than black/white choices for grey questions.

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

darkjediknight11 wrote:If you do happen to do this (though I'm not holding my breath), make sure there's plenty of options to represent more than black/white choices for grey questions.
LOL...trust me the more options...the worse the results.
Terron wrote:Can't we settle this like real virgins?

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

I personally was most intrigued by the timed games and SOS questions. How come no one is talking about this?

As far as timed games, I think its time we changed that. If time is called and you have 12 cards left and your opponent has 14 cards left, why should he win by 14? That should be a timed win with 2 differential.

To be honest though, I'm ready to move to SOS as a first tiebreaker. And I'm very interested to see Booker/Eier's results of this tournament season, and how SOS would have affected it.
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

First of all, thanks for the effort here. I really wanted to see this same thing done last year, but nothing was done. This gets the ball rolling. Now, is there a way to make some sort of online doc that people can subscribe to or submit to with some sort of authentication verification to limit abuse and fraud? I'd like to participate in this discussion as well...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

TacoBill wrote:As far as timed games, I think its time we changed that. If time is called and you have 12 cards left and your opponent has 14 cards left, why should he win by 14? That should be a timed win with 2 differential.
because that encourages the loser to time you out (as long as diff is the #1 tiebreaker). the point of the TW +14 in that situation is it gives the loser no incentive to time you out, and it gives the winner no incentive to time out. a TW +2 gives the loser a break on diff, and therefore incentive to time out.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

So is this yet ANOTHER problem that SOS would ameliorate?
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

TacoBill

Post by TacoBill »

imrahil327 wrote:So is this yet ANOTHER problem that SOS would ameliorate?
Bill Kafer
Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of SWCCG players to live in Hawaii
Cam Solusar wrote:What TacoBill proposes is ideal IMO.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

imrahil327 wrote:So is this yet ANOTHER problem that SOS would ameliorate?
i don't think so 'cause i still think you just get 1 vp for a timed win. but it may depend on the rules of the specific sos system selected

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”