Clarion Hotel
Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Re: SWCCG Worlds 2009 Player Survey Results

Post by Anodos »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
Anodos wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote: This. Increase the sample size to like 100-200 as opposed to 20-30, and you'll have results that will better represent the entire community.
I doubt we could get 100 people to fill this out. Definitely not 200.
You don't think at least 100 people would respond to a survey posted on the Discussion forums? I sure think so.

If you do happen to do this (though I'm not holding my breath), make sure there's plenty of options to represent more than black/white choices for grey questions.
I just don't think we have close to 100 people playing right now. In fact I'm pretty sure its just me, Joe Olsen and a guy named Jody that sells handmade chain mail.

Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

imrahil327 wrote:So is this yet ANOTHER problem that SOS would ameliorate?
yah except for the VP problem that gungan mentioned.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

Anodos wrote:I just don't think we have close to 100 people playing right now. In fact I'm pretty sure its just me, Joe Olsen and a guy named Jody that sells handmade chain mail.
wow you are WAY off. there's easily 200 people playing sw nowadays.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Anodos »

mikefrench wrote:
Anodos wrote:I just don't think we have close to 100 people playing right now. In fact I'm pretty sure its just me, Joe Olsen and a guy named Jody that sells handmade chain mail.
wow you are WAY off. there's easily 200 people playing sw nowadays.
Are you counting Jody?
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

mikefrench wrote:
TacoBill wrote:As far as timed games, I think its time we changed that. If time is called and you have 12 cards left and your opponent has 14 cards left, why should he win by 14? That should be a timed win with 2 differential.
because that encourages the loser to time you out (as long as diff is the #1 tiebreaker). the point of the TW +14 in that situation is it gives the loser no incentive to time you out, and it gives the winner no incentive to time out. a TW +2 gives the loser a break on diff, and therefore incentive to time out.
Eh, there's incentives for either system of assigning differential.

A TW of +30 when the different is 30 vs. 2 cards left shouldn't we worth the same as +30 for a game that's 30 vs. 28 cards left. It's not as accurate of a representation of the game results.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

darkjediknight11 wrote:
mikefrench wrote:
TacoBill wrote:As far as timed games, I think its time we changed that. If time is called and you have 12 cards left and your opponent has 14 cards left, why should he win by 14? That should be a timed win with 2 differential.
because that encourages the loser to time you out (as long as diff is the #1 tiebreaker). the point of the TW +14 in that situation is it gives the loser no incentive to time you out, and it gives the winner no incentive to time out. a TW +2 gives the loser a break on diff, and therefore incentive to time out.
Eh, there's incentives for either system of assigning differential.

A TW of +30 when the different is 30 vs. 2 cards left shouldn't we worth the same as +30 for a game that's 30 vs. 28 cards left. It's not as accurate of a representation of the game results.
sigh

the incentive is supposed to be "finish the game and the end result for both players will be better." if i have 10 life force and my opponent has 14, i'd much rather play faster, end the game, and whittle him down to 6 cards than get a timed loss by 14. and for my opponent, he'd MUCH rather finish the game and get 2 VP +6 than his 1 VP +14.

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

darkjediknight11 wrote:It's not as accurate of a representation of the game results.
when decipher, or whoever, were creating the timed win rules, i don't think they were thinking about creating the most 'accurate ... representation of the game results.' i think they were intentionally designing a system that would make both players say 'man this result sucks. i don't want to go to time and have to suffer through that again. i'll play faster from now on.'

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

mikefrench wrote:
darkjediknight11 wrote:Eh, there's incentives for either system of assigning differential.

sigh

the incentive is supposed to be "finish the game and the end result for both players will be better." if i have 10 life force and my opponent has 14, i'd much rather play faster, end the game, and whittle him down to 6 cards than get a timed loss by 14. and for my opponent, he'd MUCH rather finish the game and get 2 VP +6 than his 1 VP +14.
But if there's 5 min to go, I've got 25 life force to Bob's 23 and it's not obvious I can win the game if we played it out, I'll sure as hell take it to time for a TW+25 when that's obviously unfair to the other player. In games where the diff is close, a TW with full life force added as "differential", that's a huge incentive for our current system. And it's dumb.

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

when time is called players should simply play "Sudden Death Sabbacc" until a winner is crowned
Jerry H

Image Image

woundedwookiee

Post by woundedwookiee »

quesosauce37 wrote:when time is called players should simply play "Sudden Death Sabbacc" until a winner is crowned
SOMEONE MAKE THIS MAN AN ADVOCATE!

;)
Brad Eier/AR wrote: labria had gone undercover, and gathered plenty of info for the empire. he was very active, but for our purposes, we will call him inactive. corran horn has a penchant for sniffing out this type of subterfuge, so he is able to honkey-swat labria's undercover away

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

quesosauce37 wrote:when time is called players should simply play "Sudden Death Sabbacc" until a winner is crowned
honestly i'd be ok with this. seriously.

woundedwookiee

Post by woundedwookiee »

mikefrench wrote:honestly i'd be ok with this. seriously.
It's weird, & would probably piss 90% of the players off, but yeah same, lol.
Brad Eier/AR wrote: labria had gone undercover, and gathered plenty of info for the empire. he was very active, but for our purposes, we will call him inactive. corran horn has a penchant for sniffing out this type of subterfuge, so he is able to honkey-swat labria's undercover away

cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by cooleo1c »

mikefrench wrote:
honestly i'd be ok with this. seriously.
WINNER!!!!!!!!
Thanks!

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

I think "sudden death sabbacc" would be AWESOME. Yes, let's do this... very cool... uses destiny draws... a subset game... has a "poker" feel... very cool...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

woundedwookiee

Post by woundedwookiee »

Lol, and just think of the cool strategies! like, both players are real low, it looks like time is gonna be called, so you put some cards back with naked 3p0 & track around perfect sabacc just in time for the win!

;)

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

woundedwookiee wrote:Lol, and just think of the cool strategies! like, both players are real low, it looks like time is gonna be called, so you put some cards back with naked 3p0 & track around perfect sabacc just in time for the win!

;)
i think it'd only be fair to do best of 3. or sabaac until one player runs out of life force. lol

quesosauce37

Post by quesosauce37 »

wow, i didnt think anyone else would go along with my idea!
Jerry H

Image Image

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

quesosauce37 wrote:wow, i didnt think anyone else would go along with my idea!
well i'd shoot down your ideas...

IF YOU EVER HAD A BAD ONE

quesosauce37

Post by quesosauce37 »

mikefrench wrote:
quesosauce37 wrote:wow, i didnt think anyone else would go along with my idea!
well i'd shoot down your ideas...

IF YOU EVER HAD A BAD ONE

Mike French is my hero
Jerry H

Image Image

Aglets
Rules Advocate

Post by Aglets »

Awesome idea. This is so going on the next survey....
Rian Johnson wrote: I would be worried if everybody across the board was like "Yea, that was a good movie." It's much more exciting to me when you get a group of people who are coming up to you.....really really excited about it. And then there are other people who walk out literally saying that was the worst movie I've ever seen. Having those two extremes to me is the mark of the type of movie that I want to make.

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”