Worlds 2010

Image
Princeton Clarion Hotel, 3499 Route 1 South
Princeton, NJ, US, 08540
Clarion Hotel
arebelspy
Member
Posts: 15977
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Traveling
Contact:

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by arebelspy »

and i disagree that those are insurmountable obstacles



User avatar
quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
Posts: 13226
Joined: November 8th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Location: North Denver
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by quesosauce37 »

as great as europe would be, i cant see 53+ americans heading over there for a tourney as the amout of travel days is increased by(at least) 1 due to longer flights and customs etc and higher costs of travel and such
Jerry H

Image

Image Image

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30705
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by imrahil327 »

arebelspy wrote:and i disagree that those are insurmountable obstacles
Agree to disagree, I suppose.
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Nitsuj
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 3012
Joined: October 30th, 2002, 1:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by Nitsuj »

imrahil327 wrote:Having tried and failed to run a large west coast event for three years running, I actually agree with Schele's sentiment unfortunately.
That's likely because you are competing against worlds. With only a finite amount of time off work/school and $ for players to travel, sometimes they have to pick one event. If you are going to pick one, it'll probably be worlds.

If Worlds is in the west, I don't think you can assume that attendance will be low based on previous non-worlds events attendance.

And Europe worlds would only be fair. Yeah, it sucks for Americans - but what we have now? That sucks for the Europeans.
Justin Stratton, Northeast Ohio

Play SWCCG online at GEMP

User avatar
cooleo1c
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 14635
Joined: May 11th, 2006, 2:10 pm
Location: Space Olympics (Year 3022)

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by cooleo1c »

Central attendance is always good :)
Thanks!

User avatar
The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
Posts: 10392
Joined: October 6th, 2004, 9:44 pm
Location: Gungan Sacred Place
Contact:

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

What is the argument for giving Worlds to Europe other than they've never had it before? If we gave Worlds to Europe, what's to stop Canada or Australia from requesting a Worlds of their own?

arebelspy
Member
Posts: 15977
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Traveling
Contact:

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by arebelspy »

Nitsuj wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:Having tried and failed to run a large west coast event for three years running, I actually agree with Schele's sentiment unfortunately.
That's likely because you are competing against worlds. With only a finite amount of time off work/school and $ for players to travel, sometimes they have to pick one event. If you are going to pick one, it'll probably be worlds.

If Worlds is in the west, I don't think you can assume that attendance will be low based on previous non-worlds events attendance.

And Europe worlds would only be fair. Yeah, it sucks for Americans - but what we have now? That sucks for the Europeans.
that's a good point.. plenty of east coast ppl pay to travel to chicago or whatever.. they might (and likely would) pay to travel to vegas or sd or whatever if it was worlds.

User avatar
Airdog2003
Member
Posts: 6697
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:49 pm
Location: I am where I am...

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by Airdog2003 »

I saY we get a map of the US, have chris get super trashed, blind fold him, and then have him throw a dart at the map...where ever the dart hits, that's where worlds is. Plus then we can take bets on which state gets it. :D
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!


Image Image

User avatar
quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
Posts: 13226
Joined: November 8th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Location: North Denver
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by quesosauce37 »

Airdog2003 wrote:I saY we get a map of the US, have chris get super trashed, blind fold him, and then have him throw a dart at the map...where ever the dart hits, that's where worlds is. Plus then we can take bets on which state gets it. :D

but then it could land in states like montana, or new mexico, or oklahoma, or even TEXAS! YUK! (jk texas guys)
Jerry H

Image

Image Image

Uber-Obi
Reflections Pack
Reflections Pack
Posts: 226
Joined: April 4th, 2007, 8:45 am
Location: Hannover, Germany

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by Uber-Obi »

Nitsuj wrote:And Europe worlds would only be fair. Yeah, it sucks for Americans - but what we have now? That sucks for the Europeans.
Justin is sooo right.

We beg only for ONE Worlds. No more, no less. Have it in the States all the years to come afterwards. And if people come and scream "If we give it to them, Canada and Australia and maybe more will follow!" just compare the following stats:

USA: 307 million people
Europe: 731 million people
Canada: 33 million people
Australia: 22 million people

If it comes to the player base it's very hard to guess even for Europe but I would say 80-100 players altogether.
Around 50 players (+ you guys from overseas) would come to Worlds which isn't too shabby, right?

But we all know the biggest problem: The decision will be made by US-players who are likely to play at Worlds and probably can't if they have it in Europe. So they come to an easy solution and say "Hey, I'm not stupid and vote for a tournament location for the biggest tournament in our game where I can't travel to...".

All I can say is: The easiest solution is not always the best.
Image
WiseMarsellus wrote:no one ever expects the 25 card combo of death!

User avatar
quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
Posts: 13226
Joined: November 8th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Location: North Denver
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by quesosauce37 »

if 53 players came to worlds this year, its hard to imagine more than 25 coming to europe, i know i probably wouldnt come to a europe worlds, simply because the travel is 1-2 days extra, lodging is (probably) more expensive, and it would just be a lot harder for me to make it work with the extra travel and work and such
Jerry H

Image

Image Image

arebelspy
Member
Posts: 15977
Joined: July 14th, 2005, 4:45 pm
Location: Traveling
Contact:

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by arebelspy »

quesosauce37 wrote:if 53 players came to worlds this year, its hard to imagine more than 25 coming to europe, i know i probably wouldnt come to a europe worlds, simply because the travel is 1-2 days extra, lodging is (probably) more expensive, and it would just be a lot harder for me to make it work with the extra travel and work and such
right but how many europeans made it to worlds this year?

and how many would make it to their worlds?

The Quick
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 466
Joined: March 22nd, 2005, 1:56 am
Location: Florida

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by The Quick »

Me either. Post events before running them and I'll play if I can get a ride from someone for sure.
Image
Image
Image

- Nick Jones

The Quick
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 466
Joined: March 22nd, 2005, 1:56 am
Location: Florida

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by The Quick »

Schele wrote:Because no one plays in Florida.
Image
Image
Image

- Nick Jones

User avatar
imrahil327
Tournament Advocate
Posts: 30705
Joined: July 3rd, 2006, 3:51 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by imrahil327 »

Whether Europe Worlds is a good idea or not, it will not be happening in 2010, so let's keep that discussion to another thread/forum. IF we do a Worlds in Europe, it would have to be announced very far ahead of time (as in, more than a year).
Image
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion
Posts: 6382
Joined: April 1st, 2007, 2:15 pm

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by allstarz97 »

realistically the only fair compromise is to have worlds somewhere is greenland....or have it on a boat.

Ant
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product
Posts: 709
Joined: February 10th, 2007, 11:56 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by Ant »

MAVanDriel wrote:ya, the west is just so spread out that its hard.

The CO locals have people driving 4-5 hours to get to, and the CA locals seem about the same. Then you start talking about getting big events and its hard to get the numbers together because driving to any of the playgroups is a huge commitment.
You forget a 4-5 hour drive in CA is the same as a 20 min drive anywhere else, just get a bike and you can get those drives to a brisk 30 min bike ride. (just making fun of So Cal traffic, my wife would have been sold on moving there if it hadn't been for that :( stupid 110 and 405 at noon! )

The bad thing about Europe is the currency exchange, the Dollar is worth dirt. So it would make everything there expensive, where is them coming to America is like us practically giving them money just to come here.
The Smoking Gungan wrote:Kirk: What does God need with a starship?

idk prolly the same reason he needed them in the Book of Ezekiel jerk.
http://hubpages.com/u/1032455.jpg
I tried stunning leader on my wife, but her ability was too low, and she was not amused. I think maybe she is more of a creature then a character, will write back with further details.

User avatar
BrenDerlin
Member
Posts: 3571
Joined: November 3rd, 2002, 12:34 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by BrenDerlin »

allstarz97 wrote:realistically the only fair compromise is to have worlds somewhere is greenland....or have it on a boat.
So...swccg cruise?
WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB!
Brad Eier wrote:i have no idea who matt thorton is, possibly the son of billy bob?

User avatar
quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
Posts: 13226
Joined: November 8th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Location: North Denver
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by quesosauce37 »

BrenDerlin wrote:
allstarz97 wrote:realistically the only fair compromise is to have worlds somewhere is greenland....or have it on a boat.
So...swccg cruise?
oooh, then we'd be in international waters and could GAMBLE on SWCCG!
Jerry H

Image

Image Image

The Quick
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck
Posts: 466
Joined: March 22nd, 2005, 1:56 am
Location: Florida

Re: Worlds 2010

Post by The Quick »

I've gambled on SWCCG anyway. I win most of the time, but not always, so anyone really good would still probably win. Especially if I'm drunk and it's the top half of day 3 from this years worlds. Actually if I'm drunk pretty much anyone who even plays.
Image
Image
Image

- Nick Jones

Post Reply

Return to “World Championships - Oct 8-11, 2009”