3/2 primer-DECK TO BEAT

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

DVD ROTS wrote: Brad, this deck should play at least one, if not 2x Nabrun, IMO. So big vs. all kinds of nonsense, and it allows you to go to opponent late game without having to deploy your squad all in one turn. And what's playing IAO anymore? ROPS and TDIGWATT, I guess?
Yeah, Rops and Deal for sure. I also ran it in Entanglements. I think Reid's CR(v) Mains used it too. Tatooine Tanks used it. Obviously any docking bay version of Hunt Down. But there's plenty of decks that don't use it. Most of the decks that Nabrun is best against will have cancellers for it, but there's a reason why they play the cancellers: it would rape them otherwise! So if you can draw Nabrun before they draw the canceller (or if you can Sense the canceller) then it could definitely be a gamebreaker.

ninja
Starter
Starter

Post by ninja »

Wow, thank you so much for posting this Brad.
Great work!
Guess what, Decipher is back, believe it or not. www.decipher.com but you need an invite to get in. You can tell them "ninja" sent you

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

thanks for the kind words everyone

the sample list was cut and pasted from kevin shannon's on decktech. i would imagine many primers will use decktech decks, because primers take a while to write, and no one wants to transcribe a pdf of 72 cards at the end and take another 30 minutes

anyway, recall that the primer's main goal is to expose players to all sorts of possibilities for a deck. if you want to use 2 nabrun, go for it. i don't; but that doesnt mean a deck that does is inferior. its a lot to do with play style. ie, when i use the deck, i never want yoda going off of naboo. i use spies/il19 ad jedis and barrier hate to do that. i play it a lot like the old cct ig88 deck, setup a solid drain at 1 site and go disrupt with all you your other guys and try to knock them off their sites. that said there are some times where nabrun CAN end the game, and i know a lot of good players do use at least one on their list

here is a question that i have for people who have used 3/2 a lot:
if you dont get a yoda, or nass chambers early, do you draw till you do, or just try to play it out anyway? i know sometimes i drop like the first jedi i draw (except mace) to the 3/2 to start that drain going. not sure if thats the best play

tgosiaco
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by tgosiaco »

Brad Eier wrote: here is a question that i have for people who have used 3/2 a lot:
if you dont get a yoda, or nass chambers early, do you draw till you do, or just try to play it out anyway? i know sometimes i drop like the first jedi i draw (except mace) to the 3/2 to start that drain going. not sure if thats the best play
I usually would play someone if I could first turn (usually Qui-Gon if not Yoda), or flush my hand to It is the Future You See(V) if I had any card to spare, and try and set up some extra activation for the next turn. But my feelings are if you get to go first in the game, you really need to take advantage of that.

As far as space goes, I usually play a bit of it, and if I've got the impression that I'm not going to see any space or systems hit the table, those cards find a nice, happy home on It is the Future You See (V), so they're not entirely dead, and they're not entirely missed either.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

i'd play obi or qui turn 1-2 if i have no yoda.. if it gets beyond turn 2 and all i have is like luke and mace, the game plan changes, and i don't go to the 3/2, but totally go disrupt them (necessary cause you've done no damage/pressure, so they're likely almost set up), then maybe do the 3/2 late game.

it is a very different game if you opening hand yoda vs no cheap guy for 3-4 turns. both fun.

woundedwookiee

Post by woundedwookiee »

Thanks Brad. Good writeup and this was def a good idea to help out more players.
Brad Eier/AR wrote: labria had gone undercover, and gathered plenty of info for the empire. he was very active, but for our purposes, we will call him inactive. corran horn has a penchant for sniffing out this type of subterfuge, so he is able to honkey-swat labria's undercover away

sherwin
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Post by sherwin »

Speaking as a player who is still pretty new to the PC-era of the game, this primer helped me understand 3/2 a lot better, both in how it runs, why it should be played, and the pros and cons of different inclusions when coming up with a build.

I made my own on Holotable (one that fits my style), and had a great deal of fun with it. So thanks for doing this Brad.

I'll be looking forward to the next (second?) primer, whoever it may be by, whichever deck it may be about. Though hopefully if there will be more of these people will first focus on tier 1 and upper tier 2 decks in the current meta, since these are the decks new players need to know about the most, since they'll likely being going up against them (and of course, may want to try their hand at making/playing with).

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

sherwin wrote:Speaking as a player who is still pretty new to the PC-era of the game, this primer helped me understand 3/2 a lot better, both in how it runs, why it should be played, and the pros and cons of different inclusions when coming up with a build.

I made my own on Holotable (one that fits my style), and had a great deal of fun with it. So thanks for doing this Brad.

I'll be looking forward to the next (second?) primer, whoever it may be by, whichever deck it may be about. Though hopefully if there will be more of these people will first focus on tier 1 and upper tier 2 decks in the current meta, since these are the decks new players need to know about the most, since they'll likely being going up against them (and of course, may want to try their hand at making/playing with).
yeah, that's my problem. i'd be happy to do one of these but i don't play competitively so the decks I play a lot are goof decks like wys v and ICM and imperial entangements and stuff so I don't have enough experience to comment on the standard decks which is where new players should REALLY be focussing.

Rogue4
Retired Advocate

Post by Rogue4 »

mad props eier.
May the game never die...and may you always let the wookiee win.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

people can do primers for any decks they want to. the best ones are if you are familiar with the deck.

just cause a deck isn't considered "top tier", doesn't mean you shouldn't do a primer. not saying anyone has to, of course. but, consider that maybe one of the reasons why some sorta "out there" deck isnt top tier is cause no one understands how to play it. so a primer is useful for that

anyway i will try to maybe work on one or two more over break next week.

anything in particular people would like to see one on? also any requests for certain players to do them?

thanks for all the kind words guys!

also you can do a collaboration, like i know this first one was kind of daunting and took a bit of time. but if you wanna break it up, like 1 guy does card choices, one does strategy, one does the history, that might make it both quicker and easier to do

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

alright, i might do a wys v because betwen you, me and brian h I think i've helped develop a pretty decent list and played it as much as anyone.

Throdo

Post by Throdo »

Psychobabble wrote:alright, i might do a wys v because betwen you, me and brian h I think i've helped develop a pretty decent list and played it as much as anyone.
i'd be interested in reading about your version psychobabble :) mine has changed a good bit since when we last looked at it. definitely do a primer, it will be cool!

Stenberg
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Stenberg »

If someone wants to write a primer and wants it to be proofread, I am willing to proofread anything people write for the sort of thing.

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

i'd like to see a wys v primer. card text would be appreciated for obscure cards, and matchups are always great.

:)

quesosauce37
LS Region: Tatooine
LS Region: Tatooine
GEMP Username: quesosauce

Post by quesosauce37 »

how does 3/2 do against mystril?

i honestly dont know
Jerry H

Image Image

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

quesosauce37 wrote:how does 3/2 do against mystril?

i honestly dont know
It usually rolls mystril unless you are joe olsen playing in a nocal tournament. I played 32 mainz at worlds vs andy klemas mystril and won by about 25+. The game winna is usually the 3/2 site and sense.
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!

Image Image

teh_brainiac

Post by teh_brainiac »

i want to see mike gemme do a primer on ds senate cause i still have no idea how ds senate auto wins agianst ls senate
just an above average minnesotan

raith
Retired Advocate

Post by raith »

Someone should sticky this. at least until we get a forum with just primers or something.

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

I cleaned up the first post with some formatting. If others are interested, here's a suggested template:

Code: Select all

[b][DECK] Primer[/b]

[b]Why should you play [DECK]?[/b]

[b]How to build the deck (card choices)[/b]

[i]Starting:[/i]

[i]characters:[/i]

[i]weapons/devices:[/i]

[i]starships and vehicles:[/i]

[i]effects:[/i]

[i]Interrupts:[/i]

[b]How to play the deck (strategy and matchups)[/b]

[b]sample deck list:[/b]

[i]Starting ()[/i]

[i]Side Deck ()[/i]

[i]Locations ()[/i]

[i]Characters ()[/i]

[i]Weapons/Devices ()[i]

[i]Starships/Vehicles ()[i]

[i]Interrupts ()[/i]

[i]Effects ()[/i]

[i]Other ()[/i]
Brad - if this gets made into a sub-forum, put this template in a post as a sticky or something.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

looks solid dude, thanks

Return to “Decks to Beat 2009-2010”