Socal "Rice" Farming

punkbear
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by punkbear »

arebelspy wrote:
punkbear wrote:they used to attack every turn. Why did that get changed?
space slug and dianoga loopholes.

also, this post is not a joke.
crazy critters.

Do you take your hands and face off before you go to bed?

Jabba Shirt guy, sometimes (I found my Shawn Valdez shirt!!).

"Raul stole everyones U-3PO's"
put this in your sig if Raul stole all your U-3PO's

FinFanFoust
Starter
Starter

Post by FinFanFoust »

You could play Shoo! Shoo! (V) if they drop something to the Farm, relocate them to the Canyon and "bullseye" them with the Skyhopper text. It's also a used 6 which is cool.

FinFanFoust
Starter
Starter

Post by FinFanFoust »

Never mind, I guess you can just only bullseye womp rats. Not as viable. Thought it worked with all creatures.

johnmichael

Re: Socal "Rice" Farming

Post by johnmichael »

i'm prob being retarded, and maybe it's somewhere on the new site that i'm just missing, but was this deck posted somewhere with the write-up that people are talking about?
John-Michael Earwood

mr007agent

Re:

Post by mr007agent »

FinFanFoust wrote:You could play Shoo! Shoo! (V) if they drop something to the Farm, relocate them to the Canyon and "bullseye" them with the Skyhopper text. It's also a used 6 which is cool.
This was actually played against me when I tried to steal a card with Reegesk V. It was quite ridiculous. Any Texan should know who it was.
Michael Richards
Rogue 84
PC Volunteer
Shadow 43 - Dantooine Flight Leader
http://omega.uta.edu/~mhr7680/dantooineswccg.html
-007-
ImageImage

DDM

Re:

Post by DDM »

punkbear wrote:
arebelspy wrote:
punkbear wrote:they used to attack every turn. Why did that get changed?
space slug and dianoga loopholes.

also, this post is not a joke.
crazy critters.
I guess I'm responsible for this change. :lol:
Anyway, I was there also to see the AR and the rules, so you could tell that I basically dig the grave myself.
SirYoda wrote:I suggest we ban all creatures.
Or better yet, just ban DDM from playing creatures.

Anodos
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Re: Re:

Post by Anodos »

mr007agent wrote:
FinFanFoust wrote:You could play Shoo! Shoo! (V) if they drop something to the Farm, relocate them to the Canyon and "bullseye" them with the Skyhopper text. It's also a used 6 which is cool.
This was actually played against me when I tried to steal a card with Reegesk V. It was quite ridiculous. Any Texan should know who it was.

Steven Wilcox?
Blake Huffman

You know what I'm talking about. This is just like that time Captain Picard wanted Luke to go with Treebeard but Luke was all "I don't know what you're talking about, do you mean this dragon I caught?" and Captain Picard was all NO RETARD, I mean go with that tree and Luke just kept talking to his friends Anakin and Jar-Jar and then he left Picard on Mordor and forgot about it completely. I love that episode.

Quoted from an email my wife sent me.

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

this is all well and good, but when is somebody from socal going to write the Rops Primer?
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

The Franchise
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Franchise »

Shadow 13 wrote:this is all well and good, but when is somebody from socal going to write the Rops Primer?
maybe cat bane from beverly hills will do it?

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

Shadow 13 wrote:this is all well and good, but when is somebody from socal going to write the Rops Primer?
LOL, that would take like 4 months to do. I may do one more primer but it probably won't be on Rops.
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!

Image Image

agnos

Post by agnos »

So... Can I get a link to the exact list?

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

The list used to be in this post, but it looks like it got destroyed when the site transitioned servers. What can ya do :?:

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

Reposted for everyone's enjoyment (must have gotten eaten by cyberspace when we they switched servers):

My inspiration to build a farming deck came from Greg Shaw. At Worlds 2008, Shaw used a version of farming to kick the crap out of my Mystril deck in the team tournament, winning by like 20 in a game where I thought I had a pretty good early advantage. At that time, he was running all sorts of nonsense in his deck like combo Owen and Breu, Harvest non-v, multiple Dagobath sites, stonepiles, etc. The deck seemed utterly terrible and for like the first 5 turns of the game he basically just sat at the damn farm and used R2-D2 to cancel my battles with fire extinguishers. Nonetheless, I lost that game horribly and went back to my hotel room wondering what in the hell went wrong and how I knew absolutely nothing about farming.

So flash to February 2009. Kevin “World Champ” Shannon, Chris “Tourney Advocate” Schoenthal and I had recently gotten back from the MPC and none of us were too happy with our performances. We knew that the clock on 3/2 mains was about to run out and it seemed like balanced EPP/HCF hit and run decks (TIGIH, TRM, etc) were going to be on the rise since super jank-ass Monkey Ties had just won the MPC. Kevin and I went through numerous different platforms for Lightside in our weekly play test sessions and none of them really impressed us too much. It seemed like most of the solid Light options were already out there and that most DS decks were learning how to adapt to playing against them. I went back to Shaw’s farming list from the worlds team tournament, built the deck as he had it, and played myself in a couple of test games. The deck seemed super inconsistent and felt like if you didn’t get a solid opening hand, you struggled early. So I went to work modifying the deck to better fit my play style and to help build consistency. Out came cards like yoda, yoda’s hut, stonepile, harvest non-v and in went amazing cards like Shimi skywalker and Owen lars (v)…okay so all of those cards are terrible but whatever you get the point. After more test games against myself, I realized that the strengths of the deck were:

1) “Uncancellable” Savrip (using sense and Yoda, MOTF (v) to protect it vs alter and masterful).
2) Force choke with Luke (v) on his skyhopper at the canyon
3) Neutralizing weapons (using first turn Owen (v) and Luke’s skyhopper)
4) Early guaranteed Threepio, WHPS
5) Padme (v) damage for up to 3 force loss…wtf?
6) Decent drain potential if they ignore in (3 at the farm with Vapor Crell and 2 at the Canyon with Luke’s Incom T-16)
7) And most importantly, the fact that NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE HELL TO DO AGAINST FARMING!

So I ran the deck a couple times against Kevin and Chris and it somehow started wrecking pretty much everything they threw at it. It literally got to the point where they didn’t even want to play against the deck anymore because it was so stupid (I agree that it is NPE to play against). Needless to say, Team SoCal had a lightside deck to tinker with for the Texas Mini-Worlds Event. Without further adieu, here is the exact deck list that Kevin and I ran on Day 1 at Texas:

Aaron's Rice Farming Deck FTW!
Starting: 8
Slave Quarters
Harvest (v)
Lars’ Moisture Farm (v)
Lars’ Hydroponic Station
Lars’ Vaporator
Rycar Ryjerd (v)
Cell 2187 (v)
Anger Fear Aggression (v)

Characters: 22
Luke (v) x3
Padme (v) x2
Owen Lars (v)
Artoo (v)
R2-D2
Shmi Skywalker
Ardon Vapor Crell
Threepio WHPS
Leia, RP
Obi-Wan w/ Saber x2
Qui-Gon w/ Saber x2
Screaming Lando x2
Yoda, MOTF (v) x2
Corran Horn
IL-19 (v)

Locations: 3
Begger’s Canyon
Home One: War Room
Hoth: War Room

Interrupts: 15
How did we get into this Mess? x2
Beru Stew (v) x3
Rebel Leadership (v) x2
Sense x2
Escape Pod (v)
Weapon Levitation
OOC/TT
Don’t Forget the Droids (v) x2
On the Edge

Devices: 2
Fire Extinguisher x2

Effects: 4
Mantellian Savrip x2
Imperial Atrocity (v)
Undercover (v)

Starships/Vehicles: 6
Han, Chewie & the Falcon x2
Tantive IV (v) x2
Luke’s T-16 Skyhopper x2

Basic game play goes as follows:

- Start the Slave Quarters and Harvest (v) for Lars’ Farm (v), the two devices, Rycar (v) and Cell 2187 (v).
- Turn one: Activate 5 + whatever they give you and search with Rycar (v) for an extinguisher. Pull free R2 (with Cell 2187 (v)), Owen (v) (with your farm), Shimi (with the slave quarters), Threepio (with Shimi) and deploy them all to the farm. Pull any other activation you can or use How Did We Get Into This Mess? to draw another hand if you have it and your opponent game you an icon. Move Shimi over to the farm and draw or Mess if you can.
- The opponent will likely come try to fight you at the farm, so use fire extinguisher to cancel the battle
- Turn two: Pull another fire extinguisher (if needed), activate 7 + whatever other activation you get from war rooms or your opponent. At this point, your goal is to find: beggar’s canyon (can be pulled by Breu stew using Lars’ vaporator), Luke (v) (remember he can be pulled by Padme (v)), more activation and Savrip. This seems like a big challenge but you have threepio, How did we get into this mess? and multiple copies of the key cards to help you get what you need. If your opponent made you burn an extinguisher last turn, use 1 force to stack it as a crop card in your draw phase and plan on getting it back in your control phase next turn with Owen (v).
- Turn 3: By this time you have probably found most of the cards you needed to set up. Fortify the farm with EPPs (deploy them to the slave quarters and move them over to the farm), Luke (v) on his hopper or just stack another fire extinguisher on R2 (harvest (v) can get you one from under the shield or Owen (v) allows you to exchange for a cropped one).
- Turn 4+: Start reacting to what your opponent is doing or set up annoying things like Padme (v) damage, Tantive IV (v) at your opponent’s coruscant (coruscant?) system, Luke on his hopper at beggar’s canyon, etc.
- Win and hope your opponent doesn’t throw your crappy deck all over the floor or in the trash can.

Key Cards:
- Owen Lars (v): Pretty much the all star of the deck. He prevents cards with “lightsaber” in title from being deployed to the same site. Maul, YA is much less scary without his saber. He also lets you get a key card back at a key time in the game using the crap, I mean crop mechanism.
- Undercover (v): Kevin Shannon’s main addition to the deck. Drop this on R2 or Corran and watch them dig for Empy or 3B3 for a couple turns…if they play them. (Note: Brian Fred says 3B3-10 (v) is the best darkside card ever so you should probably listen to him)
- Savrip: Keeping it on the table goes a long way towards winning the game, on the flipside, getting it canceled by Brian Fred playing Dark Jedi Presence Trooper beatdown can lead to you peeling lots of cards to battle damage.
- Yoda, MOTF (v): Helps keep Savrip on the table
- R2-D2: Remember to use his text every time a destiny is drawn! Activating force and drawing cards are fun. Also, he is heroic so even if your opponent gets maul to the farm before you get Owen there, he has to waste a swing on this stupid droid.
- Artoo (v): Heroic and helps vs the Bring Him matchup
- Don’t Forget the Droids (v): For some reason this card is always a surprise to people. I blew out Kevin multiple times in testing with this card and Kevin used it day 1 to make Justin Desai peel cards when he attacked EPP Obi + IL-19 at the bridge with P59. Also, the used portion of the card is sweet combined with heroic R2.
- Shimi: Pullable by the slave quarters, adds to stupid padme (v) damage, pulls 3PO into hand, subtracts one from each of opponent’s destiny draws and when combo-ed with Threepio, allows you to set up a destiny from hand…umm WTF???
- Weapon Levitation: At the very least, cancels YAB. On day 1, I used this to steal galen’s saber in my game against JW Millet and Kevin’s Yoda jacked Sidious’s saber in his game against Desai. Everyone says “just play the weapon lev shield” but for DS you really need shields (Secret plans, battle order, code clearance, grabber, etc) vs this deck so it is not always that easy.
- Your two Lars’ devices: Don’t underestimate the importance of getting a key card back from the lost pile when you need it!

Weaknesses/Flaws in the Deck:
Honestly, there are too many to count! If you know what you are doing against this deck, you greatly improve your chances of beating it. Lots of stuff can go wrong early: YAB, Sniper, SFS, etc on R2 => Early Beat down at the farm that you may not be able to recover from. Also an early destiny 6 Empy to your farm sucks because Artoo (v) can still get fried by force lightning. Oh yeah, and if they counter assault your farm drain, you lose!

Conclusion:
Kevin and I knew that this deck was only going to be at best, a one hit wonder. Going into day 1, we decided that we were either going to feel really smart at the end of the day, or really stupid. We got lucky and guessed the meta just right. Obviously, this deck has some major holes that at this point probably can’t be fixed, but it is a blast to play and it was fun for one tournament. Brian Hunter stated that “Just because a deck wins a tournament doesn’t mean that it’s a good deck,” this deck is a great example of the truthfulness of that quote. Please feel free to post any questions you may have about this deck and I will do my best to answer them as well as I can, but please don’t be a jacka$$ and start rambling about how terrible this deck is because your preaching to the choir (it is a FARMING DECK for goodness sakes!) Like I said before, the deck did what it was supposed to do: Win one major tournament.

Good luck and best of farming!
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!

Image Image

Return to “Decks to Beat 2009-2010”