Wookiees Primer

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Wookiees Primer

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

Here's the decklist I've used for wookiees in the past. It's based off a version Brian Hollingworth was playing in one of the online tourneys, but it's pretty close to the versions Tom and Jim play as well.

thrown back v
kashyyyk v
IITFYS v
k'lor'slug v
battle plan/dtf
dodn/wise advice

chewie's house
tree of life
jcc v

obi wan in rad 7
booster in PS
bravo fighter v
alderaan consular ship x2

yarua v x3
chewie of k v x3
yoda mofo v x3
padme v
luke skywalker v
senator leia v
wookiee v x 11

capital support v

grrrrgrrr
bargaining table
imperial atrocity v
i hope she's alright
evacuation control v

wwtbao
ooc/tt x2
nar shada wind chimes x2
barrier x3
wookiee strangle v x2
nabrun
i don't need their scum either v
wookiee guide v x2
might of the republic
speak w/jedi council x2

So you start kashyyyk and sonn-v. bp + dtf, wise + dodn, and then the third effect would usually be klorslug against almost everything. (Altho' lately i've been packing 1x wokling against decks where you know they don't have the capability of removing characters from battle, but that's not all that often. When in doubt, go with klorslug.)

Your goals, in order of importance:
1) get yarua and a wookiee out to wookiee haven to direct damage for 2 every turn.
2) establish a space presence, you're not looking to fight against a heavy space deck, just to hold a bg system.
3) get out bargaining table
4) get guys out to sacred forest
5) get padme direct damage going.

So you play 2-3 yaruas, and 2-3 might of the republic to pull yarua.

The most important ship in your fleet will be the consular ship, which can pull senator leia (or you can pull her with might), to make it +2 to battle you and the ship is immune to attrition and lateral damage. You'll need some other ships, and it's personal preference what other ships you use. Booster in Pulsar Skate is auto-include because when you put that with the consular ship, they can't lateral damage either one, plus it's got tons of passenger slots. You'll probably need more ship, so tantive, obi in radiant 7 (since you'll be playing the effect + radiant 7 puller) bravo fighter are all reasonable choices. Ships with passenger slots are big because you can put wookiees on them. Some people play Capital Support because it can make your non-consular ship immune to attrition.

You'll play 1x bargaining table and 2x effect pullers. The only other must have effect is evac control. Goo, I Hope she's all right are other effects to consider. (Oh and Grrghrrgh, but that's obvious)

For characters, you'll have a few yaruas, a few chewies (I, after watching Tom Frafjord play this deck a million times, favor Chewie of Kashyyyk) roughly a dozen generic wookiees, and 2 or 3 yoda mofos as your main ground crew. Senator Leia, farm boy luke and Padme are your secondary direct damage crew, and then maybe corran, tanjus and/or il-19 for their spy abilities.

For interrupts, some auto includes are wind chimes, might of the republics, effect pullers, IDNTSEs (since you start wise, you might as well play thrown back and throw a few grabbers in your shields) After that, barriers are good but frequently canceled, you'll want to play some combination of the three wookiee interrupts: guide, roar and strangle. Wookiee strange is especially good if you have a few guys stacked on grr. Nabruns are also good if you can pull one off and get a beat down somewhere, but most people would've planned for it so I wouldn't rely on it too much. Jedi Lev is good to take wookiees you draw for destiny in hand and re-draw them.

For locations, the kashyyyk system and the two wookiee sites are obvious. It's debatable whether or not this provides you enough generation. Some people play the jedi council chamber puller and the chamber, but that can be a big liability against Coruscant Crv. You could also play other generic sites for kashyyyk, and they can be pulled with kashyyyk's text. I know Lee Edwards used a forest for kashyyyk, which seems like a good play. There was also another version that pulled swamp, and nudjs to move over to yarua's hut so it's harder for dark to attack them.

People who haven't really played wookiees seem to think that you should try to get in as many beat downs with buff wookiees as possible, but in my experience the beat downs are not that important. Obviously if the opportunity presents itself you should definitely take it, but the most important thing is to establish board control and cause as much direct damage as possible. Plus good players will avoid leaving themselves open for getting clown stomped.

When playing wookiees, it is of utmost importance to plan at least a turn or two in advance in terms of figuring out how many cards you need in your hand. You should almost never go above 12 cards unless you're absolutely sure your opponent doesn't have a monnok, but you also need to make sure that at the end of your deploy phase, you have at least 8 cards in hand 'cos that's when all the good game text kicks in. Usually this means just drawing up to 12 every turn, but not always depending on how much activation you have, and how many cards you plan on drawing with sacred forest's text

What is it weak against?

Out of battle character removal. When you're controlling a site, your goal most of the time would be to hold the site with 2x wookiees. They can't be removed in battle, but stuff like trample, sniper and you are beaten can be played out of the battle phase, leaving you with 1 wookiee at the site to get clown stomped. (creatures serve as out of battle character removal also.) Yoda Mofo serves a second important purpose to cancel the really painful out of battle character removal.

uncancellable drains. You're looking to cancel their biggest drain with bargaining table every turn, it becomes very difficult if they have like 2 drains you can't cancel. So like CRv mains, they get sidious to the office with a saber, which you can't cancel, and then if they put dark recon on your sacred forest, and hold it with a bunch of power, you're pretty much screwed. (especially since the force loss there has to come from hand)

deployment modifiers. This is basically watto and security precautions. if watto flips and makes all your generic wookiees deploy +3, that's very bad for you. A money play for a lot of decks would also be security precautions to one of your wookiee sites and hold that site, at which point all of your wookiees deploy for full if you want to mount a counter attack. Ironically, death star sentry shield doesn't really do much, since your goal usually does not involve deploying a bunch of wookiees to one site.

Hope that helps.

Also, I will note that almost none of this is stuff I came up with on my own, my understanding of wookiees I owe to Frafjord. Plus this is just one way of playing it. (altho' imo the best way)

Note: Decklist is courtesy of Luke's Bionic Hand and strategy section is courtesy of jimli.

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Re: Wookiees Primer

Post by darkjediknight11 »

I assume you mean Thrown Back v to be AFA v now?
-Keith Brown

arebelspy
World Champion
World Champion

Post by arebelspy »

this is all preerrata stuff?

(i.e. idntse v being in the decklist)

The Smoking Gungan
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by The Smoking Gungan »

arebelspy wrote:this is all preerrata stuff?

(i.e. idntse v being in the decklist)
hmm. i hadn't noticed until you brought this up, but you may be correct. 'Still, many of the concepts here remain valid.' If there is a problem, a moderator could put a note in the OP i suppose letting ppl know that some cards have been changed.

I'm trying to reinvigorate this section and get more ppl writing primers since most have let 'Decks to Beat' off their minds.

Hunter
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Hunter »

I noticed several things that made it obviously Pre-Revolution, before even seeing Joe's question.

And I still can't really figure out how ANY of my Dark Side decks would lose to this decklist.

And no, I'm not going to comment on the last six words of the previous post.
mikefrench wrote:i'm an idiot who can't control himself.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Hunter wrote:I noticed several things that made it obviously Pre-Revolution, before even seeing Joe's question.
Does this include the fact that the deck has wookies in it? :)
And no, I'm not going to comment on the last six words of the previous post.
/Disappointed.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Lukes Bionic Hand
Retired Advocate
Location: A realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it

Post by Lukes Bionic Hand »

lolwut, this deck was from last summer. but hey, so are all the other decks in this section.
The Smoking Gungan wrote:worf plays for canada even though that team has no honor and plays dirty
Image Image

jimli
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by jimli »

c'mon herold,you copy basically one of my posts from last summer word for word and only put a italicized disclaimer at the end that it was actually my thoughts?

kinda lame.

Return to “Decks to Beat 2009-2010”