Official Announcement - World Championships 2008

mserisman

Official Announcement - World Championships 2008

Post by mserisman »

We are pleased to announce the dates and location for the Star Wars CCG World Championships for 2008!

Dates:
October 9th-12th

(763) 706-0857
3954 Central Ave Ne
Columbia Heights, MN 55421

Airport:
Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport
http://www.mspairport.com/msp/Ground_Tr ... fault.aspx

Hotels:
There are hotels located North, South, and East of the location. The Hotels to the South are located near or in downtown Minneapolis. Those to the East are located near I-35W mainly concentrated on Centre Pointe Dr, St. Paul, Mn. Those to the North are located near the interchage of I-694 and I-94.

Public Transportation:
The Store is located across the street from the Columbia Heights Transit station, part of the Metro Transit bus service. www.metrotransit.org

Below is some more information from the World's Host: Garrett Larson (Deadbody)

Considerations: MN has a large international airport, great shopping and museums, there are several hotels close by Twin City Comics (within a few minutes drive) and significant free parking available across the street from the venue. Per a discussion with Jay (the owner of Twin City Comics) there would be little to no charge for the use of the space, which has comfortably hosted tournaments of over 40 people and wouldn’t get tight until over 60 was reached. We would be able to keep the store open for the hours needed for the tournaments with no problem. The local playerbase would serve as excellent ambassadors for the community, we would be able to coordinate everything, and I feel confident that I would be able to get a block of rooms at a discount from a nearby hotel. Flights into Minneapolis/St. Paul airport can be had reasonably. And I will be more than willing to host a few players at my house.

I would be the local contact person. MN has shown itself year after year to be a hotbed of good players, and a large playerbase. I think hosting a large event would be a great way to say thank you to the community here, as well as showcasing an area which unfairly gets labeled at times as flyover country.

Stay tuned for much more information to come about events, prize support, etc., and post questions here about lodging or local questions.

Start booking your travel now, we look forward to a huge turnout this year!!

Special thanks to Garrett, Henry and the Tournament Committee!

"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

Sweet, easy for me to fly to :)

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

awesome. this will also cooincide with ryan french's bachelor party. which will take place in minnesota.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

Awesome. Now I can tell people I'm going on a trip for a bachelor party instead mumbling something about a nerdy card tournament.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Boing! I am very pleased by this announcement....
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Meto wrote:Awesome. Now I can tell people I'm going on a trip for a bachelor party instead mumbling something about a nerdy card tournament.
You think they'll buy that you're going to Minnesota in October for a bachelor party?

brady1194
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by brady1194 »

Sweet! This announcement swung me straight from six to midnight.

Brady

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

I'll be there!
ImageImage

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

Schele wrote:
Meto wrote:Awesome. Now I can tell people I'm going on a trip for a bachelor party instead mumbling something about a nerdy card tournament.
You think they'll buy that you're going to Minnesota in October for a bachelor party?
No. But it would still be easier than explaining that I'm flying somewhere to play in a card tournament that isn't poker.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Cool. Like I voted in the poll, I'll be there if I get a bye.

Thanks for locking down the date (whoever did) and letting us know, Erisman.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Thanks goes to the Tournament Committee. My fault for not getting out a week earlier. I was in Japan this week and just didn't get it done until I had time in the airport lounge this morning before the flight.

I am excited for the prospect of having perhaps the most people there in several years. Would love to get 60+.

I spent time in Minn and it is a nice place. October should be crisp but not too cold yet.
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

_maul
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by _maul »

I should try to get a bye or something.

Stenberg
LS Region: Bespin
LS Region: Bespin

Post by Stenberg »

Despite being from Minnesota, I will be unable to attend due to circumstances out of my control. Namely, college.

kurtisblow
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by kurtisblow »

SandrockCustom22 wrote:Despite being from Minnesota, I will be unable to attend due to circumstances out of my control. Namely, college.
college is for losers. Worlds is for winners!
-Kurt Schlichting

"Raul stole everyones U-3POs"

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Yeah... I took college.... it's WAY overrated....
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

1. college is amazing. if you think its overrated, you just arent going to the right parties.

2. i am glad worlds was announced.

3. i am glad it is columbus day weekend, if it had to go against the players will and be in the fall.

4. while mn is far from everyone, i do like that the 30 mn locals will be playing day 1, it will make day 1 not as big a joke as it used to be

5. i do have a bye, so i guess i can start making plans

6. now that 08 is planned, lets start working on 09
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

Awsome, thanks for getting out the info. I would think college guys could play if they have Day 2 Byes - it's only on Saturday at the least, especially if you are in the area and I'm guessing Monday should be off for most schools and work places.

I'm wondering what the Thursday events will be. 2006 had a Sealed deck and a V lite to give away three more spots into Day 2.

I'm guessing that Day 1 will actually have people at it this year since there are so many locals in that area, that should be really cool. Will make Day 2 a lot bigger as well since a quarter of Day 1 people get in.

Should be a lot of fun, I'm wondering if I should look into tickets now or just wait, it doesn't seam like Gass will get any cheaper so I can't imagine the prices going down.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Brad Eier wrote:1. college is amazing. if you think its overrated, you just arent going to the right parties.
I thought by saying "I took college" I'd show how serious I was... dear lord! IT was the best 8-10 years of my life!
Brad Eier wrote: 4. while mn is far from everyone, i do like that the 30 mn locals will be playing day 1, it will make day 1 not as big a joke as it used to be
Speaking of Jokes.... I'll be playing in day 1 (most likely) and will have to explain to my building principal and super intendant why I need both Thursday and Friday from school (teaching) to play cards... maybe I should make something up that sounds more believable like I was trying out for American Idol or had to go for a vasectomy... both are a less embarrassing to admit
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

Jeeps wrote:
Brad Eier wrote:1. college is amazing. if you think its overrated, you just arent going to the right parties.
I thought by saying "I took college" I'd show how serious I was... dear lord! IT was the best 8-10 years of my life!
Brad Eier wrote: 4. while mn is far from everyone, i do like that the 30 mn locals will be playing day 1, it will make day 1 not as big a joke as it used to be
Speaking of Jokes.... I'll be playing in day 1 (most likely) and will have to explain to my building principal and super intendant why I need both Thursday and Friday from school (teaching) to play cards... maybe I should make something up that sounds more believable like I was trying out for American Idol or had to go for a vasectomy... both are a less embarrassing to admit
Of course convincing your principal is easier than convincing your wife. I'd try the dead long lost relative idea. Make it like a great aunt she has never met. Sniff an onion before hand to show some tears, and then explain why you have to leave the kids with her.

Good luck:)
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

band_member
DS Region: Bespin
DS Region: Bespin

Post by band_member »

Jim Sharp had the best way to tell people about SWCCG cards tourneys:
Other: "What are you doing this weekend?"
Jim: "Going to a money tournament?"
Other: "What is it, Poker?"
Jim: "Yeah, cards."

Whereas when I was going through the airport, the security guy had to check my bags and found the Pokemon deck box I had.
Other: "Where you going, to play Pokemon?"
Me: "Yes" Puts head down in shame...
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

Return to “2008 World Championships”