Official Announcement - World Championships 2008

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

band_member wrote: Whereas when I was going through the airport, the security guy had to check my bags and found the Pokemon deck box I had.
Other: "Where you going, to play Pokemon?"
Me: "Yes" Puts head down in shame...
Last week my Premiere Executive Gift Set was hand inspected by the entire airport security team cause their x-ray tagged it as being "potentially explosive" or something like that. They were going through card by card in front of the entire security line.

Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

MasterJediAdam
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by MasterJediAdam »

I have some of those Pokemon cases ... they were the nicest thing I could find cheaply in Norway when I was there. My stuff got inspected too ... but they were more concerned about the hand-crafted knives I was carrying (Feb 2002) in my dufflebag and wearing combat boots and a suit.
ImageImage

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

MasterJediAdam wrote:I have some of those Pokemon cases ... they were the nicest thing I could find cheaply in Norway when I was there. My stuff got inspected too ... but they were more concerned about the hand-crafted knives I was carrying (Feb 2002) in my dufflebag and wearing combat boots and a suit.
Note to self, no air travel with Adam. Fat guys don't like getting cavity searched.
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

CategoryOneGames.com
GEMP Username: Categoryon

Post by CategoryOneGames.com »

I think saying I was going to play in a card event would be the least nerdy thing at my job right now. All the guys are programs/engineers and all they talk about is World of Warcraft and now Conan's new game, Ug. I'm like the least nerdy even if I had all my Nerd things on my desk.

Harpster
Booster Box
Booster Box
Holotable username: Harpster
GEMP Username: Sharpy

Post by Harpster »

Everyone that knows me, knows how passionate I am about SWCCG. The way I feel about it is simply this; if they dont like it they can take a walk IMO.

Farmer Bob
DS Region: Coruscant

Post by Farmer Bob »

Harpster wrote:Everyone that knows me, knows how passionate I am about SWCCG. The way I feel about it is simply this; if they dont like it they can take a walk IMO.
# of dates: ....0.

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

spideyguy0 wrote: Last week my Premiere Executive Gift Set was hand inspected by the entire airport security team cause their x-ray tagged it as being "potentially explosive" or something like that. They were going through card by card in front of the entire security line.
I had that happen to all my bags on the way to Houston from San Diego. Luckily they didn't search it on the way back from Houston, since we were wicked late. :?
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

Psycho Bob wrote:
Harpster wrote:Everyone that knows me, knows how passionate I am about SWCCG. The way I feel about it is simply this; if they dont like it they can take a walk IMO.
You are mistaking Harpster for you apparently :) Steve is married.

It is funny that I tend to operate a bit of a double life. I have my work executive friends, go to expensive dinners, travel, generally do the "I'm and adult routine", but then go into my home office and its full of star wars stuff, boxes of cards, action figures, etc.

My neighbors know I am a nerd and the women on the block give me crap about "playing star wars", but that is mostly because my wife tells everyone on sunny Saturdays: "Michael is playing in a stupid star wars tournament all day while I do all the yardwork"...... sigh :oops:

I generally don't tell anyone I play, but if they ask I just say it is a very complex game, like chess only much more difficult. Magic is from this area and one of my neighbors does marketing for WoTC, so its pretty accepted, and then there is the Microsoft angle where there are thousands of developer nerds.... so it's all good.
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

Farmer Bob

Post by Farmer Bob »

mserisman wrote:
Psycho Bob wrote:
You are mistaking Harpster for you apparently :) Steve is married.

It is funny that I tend to operate a bit of a double life. I have my work executive friends, go to expensive dinners, travel, generally do the "I'm and adult routine", but then go into my home office and its full of star wars stuff, boxes of cards, action figures, etc.

My neighbors know I am a nerd and the women on the block give me crap about "playing star wars", but that is mostly because my wife tells everyone on sunny Saturdays: "Michael is playing in a stupid star wars tournament all day while I do all the yardwork"...... sigh :oops:

I generally don't tell anyone I play, but if they ask I just say it is a very complex game, like chess only much more difficult. Magic is from this area and one of my neighbors does marketing for WoTC, so its pretty accepted, and then there is the Microsoft angle where there are thousands of developer nerds.... so it's all good.
Actually, you are correct Mike; I do get to go on zero dates; being married with a 9-month old child and three jobs does tend to leave you a bit strapped for time when it comes to dating.

mserisman

Post by mserisman »

My wife frowns on my dating for some strange reason..
"Never content to just rest on your laurels, you are always still reaching skyward, looking to achieve staggering new heights in douchebaggery." - Hunter towards someone who will not be named

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

imrahil327 wrote:
spideyguy0 wrote: Last week my Premiere Executive Gift Set was hand inspected by the entire airport security team cause their x-ray tagged it as being "potentially explosive" or something like that. They were going through card by card in front of the entire security line.
I had that happen to all my bags on the way to Houston from San Diego. Luckily they didn't search it on the way back from Houston, since we were wicked late. :?
How'd that happen? You guys dropped me off, then had like 1-2 hours before your flight.

Was returning the rental car ridiculous or something?

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

I can't remember exactly why, but we ended up rushed.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

deadbody
Lead Moderator

Post by deadbody »

mserisman wrote:My wife frowns on my dating for some strange reason..
You should try not telling her about it. My wife doesn't know about my dating, and it has been much better that way :)
Terron wrote:Does some RPG book list the Rockwell hardness of AT-AT ankles? Can't we settle this like real virgins?
Image Image

Like good beer? http://www.surlybrewing.com

Airdog2003

Post by Airdog2003 »

Returning the rental car took a while and then we had to figure out how to get from the rental car place back to the airport. We actually ended up getting pretty hooked up by one of the airport shuttle drivers who went out of his way to take us to our terminal so that we could make our flight on time. Seriously, if that hadn't happened we probably would have been spending another night in Texas and would have gone 2 for 2 on missing flight that weekend.

arebelspy wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:
How'd that happen? You guys dropped me off, then had like 1-2 hours before your flight.

Was returning the rental car ridiculous or something?
Kevbozzz wrote: And he rose out of the ashes of scrubdom, like a mighty Phoenix.
Aaron Nelson
Star Wars is fun!
Props to my Lakers - 2009 & 2010 World Champions...suck it Boston!

Image Image

deck
DS Region: Kashyyyk
DS Region: Kashyyyk
GEMP Username: Profundity

Post by deck »

i've never been shy telling chicks i play starwars cards. I the trick is to go on the dates before you tell them though ;)

as for worlds in october and in minny.... sounds about right (read:*)
Mike "Deck" Gemme

I am now streaming SW:CCG Regularly! https://www.twitch.tv/deck104

My SW:CCG Podcast & Blog http://www.showmeyourdeck.tech - Updated 01/17/2017

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

the weirdest was having ppl search my bags to find LOTR tokens b/c they had no clue what they were showing up on the x ray. they never quite knew what to make of them.
ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

bluethrawn
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by bluethrawn »

Shadow 13 wrote:the weirdest was having ppl search my bags to find LOTR tokens b/c they had no clue what they were showing up on the x ray. they never quite knew what to make of them.
Similar thing happened to me on my way back from DragonCon in '03. Mr. Colson sent an OTSD's worth of those rebel and imperial pins back with me; security wiped the whole bag down looking for a bomb.

davidson07
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by davidson07 »

mserisman wrote:It is funny that I tend to operate a bit of a double life. I have my work executive friends, go to expensive dinners, travel, generally do the "I'm and adult routine", but then go into my home office and its full of star wars stuff, boxes of cards, action figures, etc.
Right there with you.
Wes Cobb
Co-reincarnator of Team Louisville
Booker wrote:You just got cobblered!

justin25
Sealed Deck
Sealed Deck

Post by justin25 »

Just out of curiosity what highway was it that was closed down due to that bridge collapse in the area?
punkbear wrote:
Brad Eier wrote:punk bear, aka jabba shirt guy, aka mealticket,
keeping people fed since ought 9. (for rares of course)

brady1194
Enhanced Product
Enhanced Product

Post by brady1194 »

I-35 West. I-35 splits as it comes North into the Twin Cities. The western fork had the bridge collapse. The reconstruction is ahead of schedule, but I doubt it will be done by October (November is more likely from what I've read).

Brady

Return to “2008 World Championships”