Raveling World's Journal

band_member
DS Region: Bespin

Raveling World's Journal

Post by band_member »

Day -1: Picked up Lingrell from the airport. All he wanted to do was play cards. Figures being he's in exile from SWCCG while at home but I've already played so many playtest games that I'm kinda tired of just playing goof stuff. I play his goof deck enough to convince him it's too goof to be good. I only have 1 LS deck for him to try against. I also cheat against him and then point out I cheated which caused him to frown and look down on me. I feel bad but immediately forget about feeling bad because I have no concience and no soul.
Day 0: Run around like a head with it's chicken cut off. I drop my son off at daycare. I go the airport to drop off Lingrell and pick up Texas guys. I head back home and play a few more games of SWCCG. Then off to the Cube. I hate Cube by the way. I go 3 and 3 losing to Jim Li twice but beating Lingrell by 19 with a nice battle that overflowed him by 13 Force. Lingrell got 2nd with one loss to me. I'm sure decklists will be posted soon. Garrett ran it. The 2 canadian guys get byes to Day 2. They're good players so they'll do alright in Day 2. After the tournament I head back to the airport to get Michael Richards. He's mad that it took me an extra hour to pick him up because I tried a shortcut that didn't work and we stopped for some Wendy's. When I get back home, I have lady drama that I didn't need for Worlds weekend. Now I'm realizing I'm running short on money that I've set aside for worlds. I should have planned this better but what the heck. I go to bed at 2 at night and wake up at 7. That's not enough sleep for me. Now I'm at work for 10 minutes while the Texas guys ransack my house. Time to head back home. Team tournament decks are ready for that event.

-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

Meto
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Meto »

You that that YOU planned this out horribly? You couldn't have possibly done worse than I did.
"I was blackout drunk and shot Hunter."

Asphalizo
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Asphalizo »

These are lies...

Karrdeshark
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Karrdeshark »

Asphalizo wrote:These are lies...
You don't know Kyle very well, apparently :P

band_member

Post by band_member »

Day 1: Stuff happened in a blur. I don't know. Team tournament I played in a daze and I don't remember anything. My head was throbbing throughout the day. I played an hour of basketball at noon and I got clocked and my nose has been hurting the whole day. Thomas W. is currently lecturing me about SWCCG and swearing. He's mad he missed out on the Day 2 byes. He's talking about some sort of 'hate' deck which apparently destroys the core character of opponents. There were 3 games played for each person during the Team tournament. Who am I writing this for? Everyone I know is currently playing in this weekend? Why aint I going to sleep now....
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

band_member

Post by band_member »

Day 2: I've finished typing up my decklists. Okay I didn't type them but I did write them out all nice and fancy. Even Mike French would find my decklists acceptable....nah. My dark side had 59 cards when I finished writing it and I'm like..."ha I can fit one more card for a counter." But alas I was actually missing one of the starting cards for my objective which would have been bad to leave out of there. T-minus 1 hour and 10 minutes until Day 2 start so I better go get my diaper on and get ready to play like an astronaut. Wait, I'll just get ready.
-Loves eggs.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

Congrats on the Day 2 performance and entry into the Day 3 dance. I bet there'll be plenty of "lady drama" for you on Sunday...
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

punkbear
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by punkbear »

I'm reading it and I'm not there. Now you are justified. like the album.
Do you take your hands and face off before you go to bed?

Jabba Shirt guy, sometimes (I found my Shawn Valdez shirt!!).

"Raul stole everyones U-3PO's"
put this in your sig if Raul stole all your U-3PO's

band_member

Post by band_member »

Day 2: On my first game of the day Raveling versus Chu. I'm oh for against Chu but he's a nice guy so I'm happy I get matched up against someone fun for the first game. He's playing Mystril versus my Whap. He goes slow with it and doesn't go the Throne Room first turn so I flip turn 1 and set up. I go for an early 'game' type situation so I attach Shada with some Republic Troopers and he plays Cease Fire but I Rebel Ambush. Still somehow Shada dies and I play Out-of-Commission to get....Shada. Hmmm that's a good result I guess. I go on to win the game by 17. So I'm starting strong.
By the end of game 4 I'm 2 and 2 which is pretty disappointing. How did I get there and how did I finish? I'll update tomorrow....right now I need some sleep as it is 1:30 in the morning and I haven't slept....
-Loves eggs.

Saladas

Post by Saladas »

band_member wrote:Day 2: On my first game of the day Raveling versus Chu. I'm oh for against Chu but he's a nice guy so I'm happy I get matched up against someone fun for the first game. He's playing Mystril versus my Whap. He goes slow with it and doesn't go the Throne Room first turn so I flip turn 1 and set up. I go for an early 'game' type situation so I attach Shada with some Republic Troopers and he plays Cease Fire but I Rebel Ambush. Still somehow Shada dies and I play Out-of-Commission to get....Shada. Hmmm that's a good result I guess. I go on to win the game by 17. So I'm starting strong.
By the end of game 4 I'm 2 and 2 which is pretty disappointing. How did I get there and how did I finish? I'll update tomorrow....right now I need some sleep as it is 1:30 in the morning and I haven't slept....
chu's opening hand must have not been good. i dont see how mistryl doesnt go down to the throne room first turn with any character in the deck.

band_member

Post by band_member »

Skip to Day 3 first round:
So the first round I'm paired against Brian Hunter. I think it's neat to be paired against Brian Hunter because I like him and he's always been a nice guy to almost everyone. I know he'll play a good game and it will be fun even if I get blown out. So end of day 2 I decide to play LS Senate and Mystril and totally ignore trying to tech or think about anything Hunter would play. I just don't even bother trying to predict what he'll play. In my Mystril I take out all my anti-profit tech and add in another effect puller and some other random stuff like another 4-Lom with gun and another ship. I briefly entertain the idea of a Lateral Damage in there or a Force Push(V) but decide against them. I'm thinking that if I play Hunter and he has Profit I would just see if I could get the loss to be by under 30 and how long I could possibly survive an epic-beat down. The LS Senate I feel is just a cop-out because I haven't put the time in with any other LS and I don't want to play Profit. I also figure that Hunter would never play the goof anti-senate stuff from v-16.
So we sit down across from each other and Hunter chooses to play his Mystril against my LS Senate. I get a good opening hand with Senator Palpatine and Luke with Lightsaber and Valorum and an OOC and the Senate Hovercam. His first turn he sets up Shada and a goof Mystril at his <> docking bay. I want to yell at Michael Richards for telling me to take out whatever that Defensive Shield is that makes my rebels deploy -2 and I get to activate 1 there. I would be 1 force shy several turns for doing things almost all game. My first turn, I briefly entertain the idea of attacking Shada and trying to get a super lucky swing and super lucky OOC but then I'm counting on him having no Cease Fire which seems like a bad bet. I set up with Mon Mothma and Palpatine in the senate and pull the -3 to battle destiny political effect. His turn he does 2 damage to me and backs up the DB with another Mystril. I ask him his power there and it's like 30. I'm still entertaining the thought of attacking him there. So on my turn I add up the cost of it all and I would be 1 force shy of having enough for Luke and Valorum to the DB while doing the Hand reduction text and getting the political effects. So I set up again on this turn and hope he chooses for some reason to try to spread or doesn't back up the DB again. I use Mothma to pull Endor and draw some and hope for the 3/2 Naboo site so I can just put Luke and Obi there and pray that I take the Elis from his hand every turn with the objective. On his turn, he backs up Shada again with Kitik Keedkak and I see all chance of attacking at the docking bay evaporate. So now I need the 3/2 Naboo site to stand a chance. My turn I use Grimtaash and get nothing but I see 3 ships in his hand. He only has about 7 cards in there so I use my objective to place 2 down and hope that one or two of them where ships. I then put Bravo Fighter down and roll the dice to make my saving throw versus beatdown. He has his ships and comes down with Zuckuss in Mist Hunter and Stinker and puts Guri normal aboard the Stinker. He battles but I have a Queen and a senator for his destinies and I only lose the Bravo Fighter and like 3 or 4 force but he loses Zuckuss In Mist Hunter to a lucky choke draw. I try to OOC Zuckuss but miss on like 2 or 3 tries. I never see my 2nd Bravo Fighter which would have been good. I do get out the 3/2 Naboo site at some point and put Luke there alone with my fingers crossed that somehow he has no Mystril and no Elis. I get lucky and he has no Mystril and no Elis but he does have a Stunning Leader(V) and puts Arica down to kill my Luke and retrieve 3. Long story short. I do some damage to him, he retrieves it, I get blown out by 35. I walk up to report my score and now I have no pressure of competing at all. I'm done and I'm dejected that I didn't even put up a fight against Hunter. I felt like the lowest scrub getting swatted out of the way because I couldn't even make a game out of it. I try to review what I could have done differently and I don't really think I could have done anything except correct a few minor mistakes that didn't really cost me anything.
Game 2 versus Hunter. Surprise it's LS senate versus Mystril. Weird. I suppose Hunter and I chose the same decks for Day 2 whenever Schele Worlds was but still I'm surprised we picked the same decks. My opening hand is the best I could have ever hoped for; Dark Reconnaissance, Zuckuss in Mist Hunter, Effect Puller, Projective Telepathy, Imperial Barrier, Stunning Leader. So my first turn I put Dark Reconnaissance on it's home deploy Rystal to the Senate and move her to the JCC. Shada goes to the DB and I put a card down. There's a Kitik Keedkak and a Aurra Sing so I draw those. He says his opening hand wasn't as good as my LS senate opening hand because he has no Hovercam. He does set up the senate with Mothma and Palpatine which means I get a drain of 3 next turn. His turn he activates 4 and uses 1 to get a political effect. He curses or swears which I take it to mean that the Hovercam is in the 4 he just activated and then he activates it all. He uses Mothma to get Endor and draws some. On my turn I drain 3 and try to get 2 damage through but I get stopped by some 6 destiny Immediate Effect whose name I can't remember to type here. Zuckuss goes to Endor. Now the pressure is really on. One turn, Hunter loses Inconsequential Barriers from hand when I drain him and the next turn I barrier his Luke to the JCC. On my next turn I come down with Aurra Sing and Kitik Keedkak and battle his Luke. This could be game but he Sorry About the Messes my Kitik and she sadly goes to the lost pile. Hunter draws a 0 battle destiny, the 3/2 Naboo site. I wait for him to add 3 with his political effect but he doesn't. That means no Senators in his hand. Wow. Still Luke gets resilienced and he takes some overflow. I draw a few and now things get murky because I'm not remembering what's going on from here until the game deciding turn. On that turn, I count my reserve and force and I have something like 38 force which means I can't draw more than two cards to back up my hand. I draw the 2 cards and they are bad red cards. On hunters turn he comes down with Han Chewie and the Falcon as well as Jedi Starfighter with Plo Koon. This would be game ending here but he only has 2 force left and he battles with 1 of them. Projective Telepathy for the win. Projective Telepathy gets me to the next round. If the battle ends, then Han, Chewie and the Falcon die and it's just poor Plo Koon left against Zuckuss in Mist Hunter. We play out that turn as if I didn't have the Projective Telepathy in hand and I would have lost like 10 force or something and that would have been game/set/match. However with my insane amount of luck, I get the win by 36.
Now I think if Hunter and I played the same match up of my LS Senate versus his DS Mystril I might win 1 or 2 out of 10 matches if I get a lucky OOC on Shada or something goofy happens like that. If I played my DS Mystril versus his LS Senate 100 times I doubt I could ever beat it by 36 again. That was the luckiest game I've ever played where the cards just seemed to come to my hand when I needed them. Of course my Mystril deck had some different cards than some of the other Mystrils and I designed it with battle evasion in mind but never have I had so much luck at the right time and I couldn't even draw much to try to get the right cards. I had a 4 card hand for pretty much the entire game.
Some of you might say Hunter made a mistake in how he played that deck or think Hunter somehow did something wrong but I don't see it looking back. There's no way that game would ever happen like that again.
That game has to be a highlight of my SW career. I don't know what else to say about it.
-Loves eggs.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

THAT game was a highlight of MY career... and I just watched... luck... and the fact that you're a Projective Telepathy junky have something to do with... nice play. Hunter could/would/should never have expected THAT card at THAT moment... well played... too bad you curled up for Kevin Shannon ;) ;)
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

band_member

Post by band_member »

Day 2 flashback game 2: I was paired up against Noah Franke "the Hooky" with TTO versus DBO minus the objective. I setup a first turn with Moff J at the D2 db and get my sector and get the Endor Shield. A solid first turn of setup. His first turn he gets a site on Dantooine and draws and saves some force. I'm not too worried about that. My second turn I get the 2nd parsec and then draw some. On his turn he deploys General Reekan and uses him to pull Il-19 to my DB. Okay now I'm worried. He comes at me with Mon Mothma and kills my Moff J before I can complete the DS2. Ahhh. On my turn I'm pretty much stuck so I draw and get a Projective Telepathy and No Escape. On his turn he spends 3 to drain for 1 but I use Projective Telepathy and he decides to cancel the drain rather than spend his whole turn draining for 1. This turns out to be bad for him because he should have spent his whole turn draining for 1. On my next turn, I use No Escape to get back Moff J and complete the DS2 with Veers and him on a Walker. On his turn he stacks Qui-gon with saber at my DS 2 DB. Later on he deploys two squadrons at Endor system. I go down with Lateral Damage, 2 SDS, and Thrawn for 3 battle destinies and the game. "The Hooky" makes me call the judge over to ask one of the strangest questions I've ever had to ask in a game. "What's 22 minus 6?" and Chris is like "Are you serious?" and I have to say "Yes I'm serious." and the Hooky has to lose 16 rather than 15.
Game champion goes to Projective Telepathy for saving me this game.
So at this point I'm 2 and 0 but I feel like I've used up a lot of my tournament 'luck' allotment at this point and now Luck will start turning against me. Will it? Stay tuned for game 2 and my first ever tournament game against Kevin Shannon.
-Loves eggs.

band_member

Post by band_member »

Day 0 flashback. Okay I spend the first part of Day 0 driving picking up people from the airport and also getting my son to day care and stopping in to work for a bit and I'm generally getting sick of the logistical side of MN worlds. I have to go to the airport 3 times in one day. I finally make it to the Cube event though. I generally don't like the Cube but I'm willing to try it again. We are splitting the Cube event up into 2 parts, a LS part and a DS part. I get LS first and thought I had some good cards. Jim Li schools me with better cards. I shoot his ship and make it lost with my X-wing cannons and then he returns the favor by shooting my ship and making it lost with his Tie-Cannons. He's also draining me for 3 with Rachalt Hyst. Generally Jim seems to own me in sealed deck as he seems to understand all the strategies and nuances of sealed deck that I seem oblivious to. My next game, I get schooled again with Lt. Watts (V) teaching me that I need to draft him next round. So for the LS I go 1 and 2. When we re-draft for DS, I make sure to get Lt. Watts(V) and then I get a bunch of space and 2 Tie Cannons. First game against Lingrell I make lost his Y-Wing and then make his lone ship feel bad. Lingrell goes down by 19. I'm matched up against Jim Li against and he shows me once again his sealed deck skills by setting up a drain of 3 that not even Watts(V) can save me from. My last game of the Cube, I once again get a nice beat down in space by choking a ship and killing a lone guy in space. I end up 3 and 3 in the Cube and don't know where that is in the standings.
The prize support sucks and I make fun of it for a bit. Two of the canadians get the byes to day 2 and they're good players so I'm happy about that. I'm happy to play against Lingrell too as he called me out before the tourney. He's a nice guy so I enjoy killing him by 19 in that game.
-Loves eggs.

Psychobabble
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Psychobabble »

teh hooky ftw.

band_member

Post by band_member »

Day 3: Preparation: So I decided on decks after game 2 and I went to bed at 2 in the morning after putting them in sleeves and putting them together. At 6 in the morning I wake up to a strange pulsating sound kind of like a british siren. What the heck is that? There's a period of a couple minutes where if it went off I would have fallen back to sleep but it doesn't end. I have to get up out of bed and find the source of the sound. Somehow my first guess as to its source is correct. Thomas Whaley has set his alarm for 6 in the morning. Why? I have no idea. Even after several people ask him why over the rest of the weekend, he still has no answer. I have to yell at him to wake up and turn off the damn thing. So I go back to bed and lay down. But now of course I'm thinking of day 3 and I'm thinking of Garrett's decks and Tom's decks and my deck titles and so much random strategy. I'm thinking it's bad of Garrett to play that Hidden Base but I don't know what else to tell him to use. I'm thinking Tom will probably play his TTO again because he's awesome with it but I think he needs to add in 2 cards so I hope to see him before the tournament to tell him about it. Of course I do not sleep anymore that night and I have to play day 3 on 4 hours of sleep. Thomas Whaley has earned my dislike forever now. I get to day 3 late because of me. I want to go through each deck one more time and make sure each card is what I want. I count each of them and I get 59 for each so I have to spend about 30 minutes for each deck figuring out what's missing. Then I go through my decklists and I end up filling them out wrong as well and I have review them over to see what's wrong. It takes me considerably longer than the 1 hour I allocated to fill out my decklist. I have Michael Richards look over my Mystril and give me some card options and some of the differences between mine and his. I respect his opinion enough to ask for it because I want to consider all options and actually have a chance to choose the best card. I get to the store and I'm like the last day 3 guy to arrive. I search out Tom and tell him about the cards but it's pretty much too late. Plus for some reason he's reluctant to tell me what he's playing and to take any advice with his TTO. He seems like he needs to keep his secrets from me but we wouldn't even be matched up unless we were in the finals. And I don't think he should keep secrets even if we were paired against each other because one of us is moving on and I thought he needed to have the best possible chance to do so was to collaborate with his fellow MN player. I don't get the chance to talk with Garrett at all because I got there so late and I have no chance to review deck choices or card choices with him. Probably a big mistake we made. I feel about 50/50 with my LS Senate choice but 100% confident with Mystril. Michael Richards and I both love that deck.
-Loves eggs.

band_member

Post by band_member »

Day 3: Apologies:
I'd like to apologize to all the people over the weekend that shook my hand and discovered my sweaty palms. I only seem to get sweaty palms for 3 occasions; holding hands, playing SWCCG, and job interviews. So sorry to you all. The more tense the game, the more sweaty the palms so Aaron, Hunter, Shannon, I apologize to you more.
-Loves eggs.

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

band_member wrote:Day 3: Apologies:
I'd like to apologize to all the people over the weekend that shook my hand and discovered my sweaty palms. I only seem to get sweaty palms for 3 occasions; holding hands, playing SWCCG, and job interviews. So sorry to you all. The more tense the game, the more sweaty the palms so Aaron, Hunter, Shannon, I apologize to you more.
After my match against Chu my hands were really sweaty, and sticking to my cards, so I went and washed them thoroughly and dried them over and over and they were nice and fresh. Then I sit down and shake your hand, and *bam* my hands are covered with sweat again. D'oh!
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

I keep secrets from you, Mike. I am Iron Man.
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Jeeps

Post by Jeeps »

band_member wrote:Day 3: Apologies:
I remember playing you at a St. Cloud tournament about 10 years ago (one of Dion's) at KG's and that's the most indelible (second time I've used that word today) impression of playing you for the first time... well, that and you kept trying to rub your foot up my leg....
Peter Jacobson

PLO KOON!

Return to “2008 World Championships”