Raveling World's Journal

Shadow 13
GEMP Username: shadow13

Post by Shadow 13 »

you have no idea.

ryan french
rebel strike team founder
two-time washington state champion
rhendon wrote:why not just elect a puppy as president, or mikefrench.

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

Brad Eier wrote: i mean, even kevin shannon did it. they arent gonna take his obelisk away.
I propose Kevin Shannon be given a 5-minute ban from all sanctioned events, effective at around 6pm tomorrow night so it hits when team SoCal is playing our weekly Wednesday game. Aaron can make me sit outside his apartment Chris can start drawing on all my cards. And I will have no recourse because I will be dead to them. I will turn to my non-swccg friends and family, who will be happy that I am finally paying attention to them. And then I will go back to ignoring them once the hardest 5 minutes of my life have finally passed.

Seriously, winning worlds *and* getting banned from SW = Shannon's Best Year Ever. Please make it happen.

But if anyone tries to take away my obelisk, they're going to get more trophy than any straight man can handle. Sideways.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage
3MW0J8 wrote:If DBO comes back again I swear I will quit for good.
DDM wrote:All hail Kevin Shannon!! :rimshot
3MW0J8 wrote:holy balls KSBOOTMFY
Schele wrote:I guess you're not as bad as I thought you were.

Schele
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Schele »

Kevbozzz wrote:But if anyone tries to take away my obelisk, they're going to get more trophy than any straight man can handle. Sideways.
And if anyone knows how much trophy one man can handle, it's Kevin Shannon after much experimentation.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

not sure yet which of the last 2 posts were funnier
V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

Schele wrote:
Kevbozzz wrote:But if anyone tries to take away my obelisk, they're going to get more trophy than any straight man can handle. Sideways.
And if anyone knows how much trophy one man can handle, it's Kevin Shannon after much experimentation on my mom.
Fixed.
Check out ShanCast, my SWCCG podcast! Past episodes can be found at www.spreaker.com/user/shancast, or via the Spreaker app (search for #SWCCG).

ImageImageImage

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Kevbozzz wrote:
Schele wrote:
And if anyone knows how much trophy one man can handle, it's Kevin Shannon after much experimentation on my mom.
Fixed.
I'm not sure which is weirder, the fact that Schele's mom appears to be a man in this quote, or that Kevin is fixing quotes to show he is okay with experimenting with the (post-op?) Mrs. HermaphraSchele.

allstarz97
World Champion
World Champion

Post by allstarz97 »

Hunter wrote:
mikefrench wrote: one other thing i'd like to say is, before every big vs tcg tournament, they annouced that the one overlying "rule" was "don't be a d!ck." that was their catch-all. basically, even if there wasn't a rule against it, if you were trying to cheat without technically cheating, the head judge would still punish you if you were being a d!ck. we should have that rule. it was a good rule.
I don't know how well that "rule" was enforced either. In my own personal experience, it was not enforced too well. I actually had two separate occasions at two separate Pro Circuit events where I called a Judge to enforce the "don't be a d!ck" rule. In both instances, the Judge ruled against my opponent, since they were clearly just trying to snake their way out of a game-ending mistake they had made. One opponent was trying to rules-lawyer his way out of it, and the other was actually trying to lie his way out of it (but a player in the adjacent game had overheard that portion of the game, and was able to confirm for the Judge that yes, my opponent was lying.)

Unfortunately for me, BOTH of those opponents appealed the Judges' decisions, and BOTH of those Judges had their rulings overturned by the Head Judge. When I asked "What about the rule about not being a d!ck?" the Head Judges just looked at me rather sympathetically, shrugged their shoulders, and explained that it is "more of a recommendation than a rule."
wow...amazing that the head judge said the exact same quote both times. Amazing that they also both shrugged their shoulders too...the sympathetic looks both times too! Talk about consistancy of judging!

Kevbozzz
World Champion
World Champion

Post by Kevbozzz »

Raveling's Journal:
Phase 1: Tournament report
Phase 2: Intense & controversial cheating discussion

Phase 4: 6th grade humor

ImageImageImage

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

allstarz97 wrote:wow...amazing that the head judge said the exact same quote both times. Amazing that they also both shrugged their shoulders too...the sympathetic looks both times too! Talk about consistancy of judging!
it came to him in a dream, and he forgot it in another dream.

Ninth
Anthology
Anthology

Post by Ninth »

band_member wrote:Michael Raveling's SWCCG Morality Test:
Here's a simple test of your morality in relation to SWCCG. You don't need to answer publicly or anything but maybe just answer these questions yourself.
1. If your opponent plays Monnok and doesn't remove all doubles from your hand, would you voluntarily lose those he missed?
Yes, it has been errataed to a mandatory action.
2. If your opponent plays Scanning Crew and doesn't remove a rebel that is in your hand, would you ask him if he wanted to remove that rebel?
Typically no, it's not a mandatory action. At my dining room table, yes.
3. If your opponent does not remind you to lose to their Visage Of The Emperor, would you still lose to it?
I still lose to it, and let them know I have, and that they should too (if applicable).
4. If your opponent does not remind you to lose to your Visage Of The Emperor and it benefits you not to lose to it, would you still lose to it?
I still lose to it, see answer to question 3.
5. If your opponent has First Strike on table against you, would you remind them to retrieve a force when they initiate battle against you?
Yes. It is a mandatory action.
6. If you have First Strike on table, would you remind your opponent to retrieve a force when they initiate battle against you?
Yes. It is a mandatory action.
7. Do you scout (watch) other people's games during a tournament when you still might have a chance to play that person?
No.
8. Do you discuss game details with other people after a tournament game when those other people may play the same opponent?
No.
9. Do you discuss cards used by your opponent against you with other people after a tournament game when those other people may play the same opponent?
No.
10. Would you and another player actively 'fudge' a tournament score (either win by more or lose by less) to try to place yourself or another player higher in the standings?
No.
11. Would you ask another player to give you a full win in a case where your game was timed out and you would get a timed win and there was no way to actually get a full win?
No.
12. Would you ask another player to give you a full win in a case where your game was timed out and you would get a timed loss and there was no way to actually get a full win?
No.
13. Would you intentionally misplay your own card during a game if you knew the opponent had a high chance of allowing the misplay and it meant you would win the game?
No!
14. Your opponent makes a mistake with a rule and that mistake benefits you. Do you correct them?
Yes.
15. Your opponent force drains you for 2 when they could force drain you for more. Do you correct them?
It depends. If they have the option of not adding a force drain bonus (i.e. Luke's Lightsaber says "may add 1 to force drains"), I do not correct them. If it is a mandatory modifier (Tatooine: Tusken Canyon) then I correct them.
16. Would you use Japanese cards even though you know it makes it hard for your opponent to read your cards and some players may not know the text of that card?
No, unless I had english representations with me (and not in my deck), as per the AR.
17. You play Out of Commission on your opponent, they somehow make it so you know which card is the one you would prefer to have go out of play. Do you correct them and have them re-shuffle their cards?
Tell them to reshuffle. Random means "random", not "it looks random but it's not."
18. Do you actively discuss an opponent's Hidden Base location with other player's during a tournament?
Never.
19. You are playing Watch Your Step and you don't know what cards are in your lost pile. Do you look through it?
No. In a friendly game, I would ask my opponent first.
20. Your opponent has lost the game and is drawing up. Do you play cards that retrieve or used interrupts to increase your differential?
Yes. Nothing wrong here.
21. Your opponent holds their hand in such a way that you can see the cards they have in their hand. Do you look?
I let them know, but if they want to play with their hand face up, I certainly can't stop them.
22. Your opponent forgets to move a key guy away from a stack of your guys. The turn moves past your opponent's move phase and sometime after that they discover they did not move that guy away. Do you allow them to? What if it's during your turn?
No. If they didn't move their dude, that's their fault.
I'm sure I could come up with more questions here. Not all of them are dirty or 'cheating' I know. But some are, right? I'm not saying all of them are equally 'bad' as what I did or that any of them even come close. But some do, don't they?
Most of them are clear cut, mandatory vs. optional, or rule vs. rulebook is silent on the issue.
Guess how many of those questions come from tournament play. Guess how many are examples that I'm 100% certain are done by some of the people writing on this thread.
Whatever. Victories aren't victories if you don't play by the rules or you ignore mandatory actions.

PapaLorax

Post by PapaLorax »

Tyson wrote:But when common sense tells you "hey check that out, he didn't make me lose those two, haha, I'll just act like nothing happened"

then you are cheating.
You may think that is "cheating". You may want that to be "cheating". But there is NO DOUBT that never in the history of swccg has that been considered cheating.
Terron wrote:Can't we settle this like real virgins?

band_member
DS Region: Bespin

Post by band_member »

When is that tournament guidelines thingy going to be updated? Being I'm on the proofing team, I'd like to proof it before it get's all official and stuff.
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

band_member wrote:When is that tournament guidelines thingy going to be updated? Being I'm on the proofing team, I'd like to proof it before it get's all official and stuff.
Yeah I don't think you should have any say over the next incarnation of the rules for the game. You'll probably delete a ruling, then exploit it at a tournament and then talk about how your opponent should have been on the proofing team to take care of it.

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

PapaLorax wrote:
Tyson wrote:But when common sense tells you "hey check that out, he didn't make me lose those two, haha, I'll just act like nothing happened"

then you are cheating.
You may think that is "cheating". You may want that to be "cheating". But there is NO DOUBT that never in the history of swccg has that been considered cheating.
Yes but defacing your cards to specifically get around Monnok is cheating.

band_member

Post by band_member »

Pistone84 wrote:
band_member wrote:When is that tournament guidelines thingy going to be updated? Being I'm on the proofing team, I'd like to proof it before it get's all official and stuff.
Yeah I don't think you should have any say over the next incarnation of the rules for the game. You'll probably delete a ruling, then exploit it at a tournament and then talk about how your opponent should have been on the proofing team to take care of it.
Aren't you breaking that VS rule?
-Our game's card designer said "...something as inconsequential as the World Championships for a very dorky hobby."
-Loves eggs.

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

I don't play VS and from what I heard, its more of a guideline than a rule.

Anyways if someone breaks the rule already (like you did with your vslips) I'm not sure they can call the rule out on someone else.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

it's more of a catchall to punish douches like raveling who cheat.
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

band_member

Post by band_member »

Do you guys just make up your own rules or something? I don't think there are any rules on v-slips and how they are to be cut out. Calling someone a cheater for violating a non-existant rule seems like just a way to go around being noisy for no reason.
-Loves eggs.

mikefrench
Top Cards
Top Cards

Post by mikefrench »

band_member wrote:Do you guys just make up your own rules or something? I don't think there are any rules on v-slips and how they are to be cut out. Calling someone a cheater for violating a non-existant rule seems like just a way to go around being noisy for no reason.
is there a rule that i can't rip up my opponent's cards mid-game? does there have to be a rule for every common sense situation?

you're a cheater. FACT
you're a douche. FACT
you should quit star wars. FACT
mod edit - that was way over the line mike, cut it out
The Honky Tonk Man wrote:If you want to post trash takes, at least go the Mike French route and come off as being somewhat reasonable.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise »

V set 6 and 7 release rountable analysis with Reid, Carulli and myself:

https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... =2&t=64906

Return to “2008 World Championships”