3%
qasur
7%

Total votes: 29

GunganStyle

Re: March Dreamcard of the Month Contest

Post by GunganStyle »

stevetotheizz0 wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:Surprise celebrity cameo/critique!

As for your comments on my cards, I think you're allowed to deploy any ship + pilot simultaneously, no? Even if not, this gives you that ability in its text, doesn't it?

As for making Admirals and Generals, the point was so that you could use Rebel Leadership, which says "admiral or non-E1 general". Just making them generals would mean the jedi you could use in E1 environment still couldn't use leadership, leaving very little benefit for making them generals. I couldn't just make them admirals, since that is very unthematic. So I mixed gameplay and thematic elements.

Non-v would still work.

I did notice from the cartoon that during the clone wars all the Jedi were made generals which was interesting.
I liked Yularen because he is an admiral that can be pulled with leadership (V).
Also - typos on my cards - Yularen and Resolute should both be unique. Good job Shewski for catching the mistake :)

Holotable: ganoman21
Battle.net: ganoman21#1681

qasur

Post by qasur »

@Shewski: Thanks for the feedback! My entry is a hard one to judge because it's asking to look up a bunch of cards.

Generally though, I wanted to reduce It's On Automatic Pilot dmg to once a turn. Also wanted the Bravo starfighters to be able to function against more than just Battleships at Naboo. Theur game text pigeon-holes them to just Naboo or only good versus droid starfighters or battleships.

While "treat" gametext isn't great, its not terrible. I did think of Canceling Let's Try Spinning (the AO) but I figured a few things: N-1s have low defense value and immunity without setting up Bravo 2 fully, and its during control phase... after opponent had the option to move away.

Overall I just wanted to allow Bravo Squad to operate at any system and boosted Ellberger to allow punch through Slave 1's immunity.

Halfwingseen
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Halfwingseen »

Shewski wrote:
Halfwingseen wrote:Shewski the restriction is that it only works with droid starfighters, on a non sense immune lost interrupt. droid starfighters have no way of drawing battle destiny without another non droid starfighter there. so if you are able to draw BD at a system, you can't run away without getting beat down, or if you aren't you have 2-6 power total and no BDs or forfeit to speak of.

But yeah the point of the first half is its very strong to get early, but you are using crap ships for the most part and it sacrifices all deployment that turn except free deployment.

That being said i understand your position, and I agree cards are a little strong, but trying to make droid starfighters and trade fed space viable is going to take a hell of a lot more than this interrupt.
the problem is that you are designing only for the current cardpool. Once this exists, you could not make good TF capitals or droid starfighters. This is a design that creates design restrictions

even w/ the carpool as it exists, you put out Trade Fed Droid Control Ship DFS327 and another DFS. Moving outside is free right? If so at end fo your tuirn you have

12 power
1 bd
opponent can only draw one bd/you draw 2 choose 1
pilots deploy +2 to starfighters
drain of 2.

the possibility of that first turn is really potentn.
And if i capitalized Droid Starfighter then it only references the generic card. and I can't imagine a trade fed ship ever being made to be as strong as the executor or even the devastator.
Hunter wrote: I think you're right.

Shewski
Retired Advocate

Post by Shewski »

That is true
... but you didn't ;-)
Mike Tomashewski

voxaroth

Post by voxaroth »

Thanks for the reviews, Shewski! Takes a lot of time, but it's the best part of the contest.

You're correct about my character, and I wish I had left off the "draws 2 battle destiny if unable to otherwise". I got greedy, worrying that he wasn't powerful enough. I'd probably change around his stats a bit too.

Do you think a combo like this could splash into invasion as well? My goal was to give Blockade Flagship another good neimoidian to pull if you drew up Dofine.

Halfwingseen
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold

Post by Halfwingseen »

Shewski wrote:That is true
... but you didn't ;-)
:) yes i also had 4 days to design a card and make it balanced by myself. :)
Hunter wrote: I think you're right.

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

Why did people vote for GunganStyle when he clearly broke the rules?
Design one or two cards that would continue to give shape and character to the EP1 space environment.
GunganStyle

Admiral Wullf Yularen (1)

Republic Character
Power 2 Ability 3
Deploy 3 Forfeit 6
IconsL Ep 1, Pilot, Warrior

Text:
P3. Lost if your Rebel or Rebel starship on table. While at a site, may be replaced by opponent’s Wullf. Once per game, may \/ a [R] capital starship to same or related system. While piloting a [R] capital starship, adds one battle destiny.

Resolute (2)

Venator-class Star Destroyer
Icons: Ep 1, Two pilot icons, Astromech, Republic
Power 6 Armor 5 Hyperspeed 4
Deploy 6 Forfeit 7

Text:
May add 4 pilots, 4 passengers and 4 vehicles. Permanent pilots provide total ability of 4. Once per game, if just ‘hit’, may lose a character from hand to restore to normal. Immune to attrition < 8.

***Vulture-Class Droid Starfighter (3) (V)

Droid Starfighter

Power 3 Armor 3 Landspeed 1
Deploy 3 Forfeit 3
Icons: Droid Army, Pilot, Presence Droid, Ep 1, Permanent Weapon, Set X.X

Text:
Draws one battle destiny if unable to otherwise. At a site, treat as a piloted vehicle. Permanent weapon is Twin Lasers: May target a character or starship for free. Draw destiny. Target hit if destiny > defense value.
Looks like three cards to me. The rules state 1 OR 2, not 1 PLUS 2 ;)

stevetotheizz0

Post by stevetotheizz0 »

gunganstyle stop cheating!!!!! :-D

JediJer
Administrator

Post by JediJer »

All his votes are belong to me!

quickdraw3457
Multimedia and Special Projects Advocate
GEMP Username: quickdraw

Post by quickdraw3457 »

I just voted for him cause I liked resolute (despite the fact that it's overpowered at 6 deploy ITA < 8). I think his 3rd card is actually quite bad though lol.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA
Hunter wrote:quickdraw is right

GunganStyle

Post by GunganStyle »

quickdraw3457 wrote:I just voted for him cause I liked resolute (despite the fact that it's overpowered at 6 deploy ITA < 8). I think his 3rd card is actually quite bad though lol.

You guys got me!
I should be disqualified, but I had fun making them, so thought I'd share.

Home One is deploy 7 for all practical matters, and immune <10. Weren't we asking for Home One-like setups?

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

GunganStyle wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:I just voted for him cause I liked resolute (despite the fact that it's overpowered at 6 deploy ITA < 8). I think his 3rd card is actually quite bad though lol.

You guys got me!

Home One is deploy 7 for all practical matters, and immune <10. Weren't we asking for Home One-like setups?
Home One requires 2 support cards to get that, and while it is easy to set up this is just a really simple ITA < 8 ship for half the printed deploy of H1. That's definitely too easy. But I know design contests are about those details that will get cleaned up in development, but about the idea. I liked the idea of losing pilots to restore a 'hit' ship. I think a permanent weapon ship, however, is a very bad idea.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

qasur

Post by qasur »

I saw he made 3, but I think the cards have good bones... no refinement.

GunganStyle

Post by GunganStyle »

quickdraw3457 wrote:
GunganStyle wrote:

You guys got me!

Home One requires 2 support cards to get that, and while it is easy to set up this is just a really simple ITA < 8 ship for half the printed deploy of H1. That's definitely too easy. But I know design contests are about those details that will get cleaned up in development, but about the idea. I liked the idea of losing pilots to restore a 'hit' ship. I think a permanent weapon ship, however, is a very bad idea.
You're probably right about immunity - and yes, cleaning and playtesting all around. There's plenty of space on Yularen to make him add to attrition is you change "capital starship" to "Resolute", but there's something to be said about flexibility. Maybe an as-is <5 or increasing deploy costs are in order.

More broadly though, I'm curious as to why you think the permanent weapon ship is a very bad idea. It seems with permanent weapon vehicles that a permanent weapon ship is the next logical addition. A ship with no bonuses to the weapon (destiny > defense value) doesn't seem too powerful. I could see this would be problematic with the ACS package (maybe only target starfighters instead), but any LS starfighter worth its salt is at least defense 5 and immune <5. Meaning, you gotta track that 6 which would have been a 6 to break immunity anyways (barring Falcon which is a beast all around). Yes that does mean you lose the ship+character rather than just character. Is that your concern?

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

GunganStyle wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote:
GunganStyle wrote:

You guys got me!

You're probably right about immunity - and yes, cleaning and playtesting all around. There's plenty of space on Yularen to make him add to attrition is you change "capital starship" to "Resolute", but there's something to be said about flexibility. Maybe an as-is <5 or increasing deploy costs are in order.

More broadly though, I'm curious as to why you think the permanent weapon ship is a very bad idea. It seems with permanent weapon vehicles that a permanent weapon ship is the next logical addition. A ship with no bonuses to the weapon (destiny > defense value) doesn't seem too powerful. I could see this would be problematic with the ACS package (maybe only target starfighters instead), but any LS starfighter worth its salt is at least defense 5 and immune <5. Meaning, you gotta track that 6 which would have been a 6 to break immunity anyways (barring Falcon which is a beast all around). Yes that does mean you lose the ship+character rather than just character. Is that your concern?
Space in general is harder to establish, and if you have a high immunity ship set up with 4 characters, your whole setup is for naught if a weapon plus a helper comes around. It's just not fun to see your whole space package shot down with little you can do about it.

Steady aim and power pivot don't need any better synergy.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

GunganStyle

Post by GunganStyle »

quickdraw3457 wrote: Space in general is harder to establish, and if you have a high immunity ship set up with 4 characters, your whole setup is for naught if a weapon plus a helper comes around. It's just not fun to see your whole space package shot down with little you can do about it.

Sure. So make it target starfighters so you're not worried about losing home one/ACS. The only other "high risk" package that would be impacted would be Falcon - which is still really hard to hit and easily countered by Retort. Against DS, the Fett package would be more at risk to Steady Aim.

It would be nice if there was a rule that said that you can't use destiny adders with permanent weapon starships. I'm not even sure you can (is the permanent weapon a "starship weapon")?

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

GunganStyle wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote: Space in general is harder to establish, and if you have a high immunity ship set up with 4 characters, your whole setup is for naught if a weapon plus a helper comes around. It's just not fun to see your whole space package shot down with little you can do about it.

Sure. So make it target starfighters so you're not worried about losing home one/ACS. The only other "high risk" package that would be impacted would be Falcon - which is still really hard to hit and easily countered by Retort. Against DS, the Fett package would be more at risk to Steady Aim.

It would be nice if there was a rule that said that you can't use destiny adders with permanent weapon starships. I'm not even sure you can (is the permanent weapon a "starship weapon")?
I think permanent weapons on characters are character weapons, but there is no rule on starship weapons since they don't exist.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

voxaroth

Post by voxaroth »

Gungan's Vulture-class Droid Starfighter was my favorite card submitted. I love the idea of a starfighter that is also a vehicle (the landspeed addition to a starfighter was genious!), the drawback being that it didn't have any hyperspeed. I think the versatility alone makes it amazing.

I was actually thinking that it would be interesting if an effect existed to transform the Trade Federation droid starfighters into your vulture-class design (they were the theme of my dream cards, and if you can't tell, I really like them). Giving them the ability to act as a vehicle while landed and landspeed =1 could give them some versatility. Right now, they're just underwhelming. I could see them benefiting a Rally/Defense deck with the ability to fight on ground or in space.

I want it!

I actually liked Gungan's submissions a lot with exception for Resolute. A single space card that on it's own can draw a battle destiny, provide weapon protection for itself, AND gain immunity to attrition <8 is a card that would be in every one of my decks. For the low price of only 6! (and somehow the destiny isn't a 1, lol).

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

quickdraw3457 wrote: I think permanent weapons on characters are character weapons, but there is no rule on starship weapons since they don't exist.
Bravo Fighter:
Permanent pilot provides ability of 4. May add 1 astromech. During battle, may target a starship with no character piloting. Draw destiny. If destiny > defense value, target hit. Immune to attrition < 3.
Gosse Z. - Seattle

quickdraw3457

Post by quickdraw3457 »

gossuii wrote:
quickdraw3457 wrote: I think permanent weapons on characters are character weapons, but there is no rule on starship weapons since they don't exist.
Bravo Fighter:
Permanent pilot provides ability of 4. May add 1 astromech. During battle, may target a starship with no character piloting. Draw destiny. If destiny > defense value, target hit. Immune to attrition < 3.
That is very clearly not a "weapon" though. It doesn't work with stuff like power pivot so it's not that good.
Matt C. - Pittsburgh, PA

Return to “Dream Cards”