Virtual state championship?

Kessling

Re: Virtual state championship?

Post by Kessling »

imrahil327 wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 3:17 am
I will pass that along, but I should have added that as another caveat, that the Advocates had preferred to stay away from travel vouchers for online events.
I understand this rationale when we are able to hold in-person events, but why is that the case in the current environment?

Mike Kessling - Atlanta, Ga

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

Got some additional feedback, and the prevailing feeling is that it is strange/off-putting to offer travel vouchers when we don't really know when people will be able to use them again, combined with trying to figure out the fairest way to deal with events that are normally geography-based being more open due to online play (IE we don't want one person playing in 30 different online "States" and taking all the vouchers).
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Kessling

Post by Kessling »

imrahil327 wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 5:50 am
Got some additional feedback, and the prevailing feeling is that it is strange/off-putting to offer travel vouchers when we don't really know when people will be able to use them again, combined with trying to figure out the fairest way to deal with events that are normally geography-based being more open due to online play (IE we don't want one person playing in 30 different online "States" and taking all the vouchers).
Fair. I assumed we might limit participation to those that live in the state/region or who typically play in person.
Mike Kessling - Atlanta, Ga

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

Kessling wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:
Fair. I assumed we might limit participation to those that live in the state/region or who typically play in person.
Agreed.

I think it should be limited to "do they live in that geographic region" (within a few hours) and/or "have they attended that event before". Most the leagues are handling that fine.

Yoshi
DS Region: Bespin
DS Region: Bespin

Post by Yoshi »

I also thought there was a limitation on the number of travel vouchers an individual could receive in a year. I believe it was 2 of them.

If this isn’t a rule or was removed recently, couldn’t we reinstate it (even if it was just for this year)?

imrahil327
Tournament Advocate

Post by imrahil327 »

arebelspy wrote:
September 12th, 2020, 9:56 am
Kessling wrote:
imrahil327 wrote:
Agreed.

I think it should be limited to "do they live in that geographic region" (within a few hours) and/or "have they attended that event before". Most the leagues are handling that fine.
Sure, but that is admittedly more difficult to enforce online, and when there is actual money involved (which Leagues traditionally have not had), there's additional incentive to fudge things. Not saying that's a dealbreaker personally, just providing the company line. I've passed the feedback along to them that these are basically the main/only things people want, so we'll see where it goes.

@Yoshi- I believe that rule exists, but tracking the vouchers is another issue that was brought up- normally they are easier because they are in and out pretty quickly, but the possibility exists that there would be a larger build-up of them due to the current situation. Again, though, worth exploring.
Hunter wrote:Sebulba's W-L record is like...Always and 1. Tebow's is nowhere near that percentage.
allstarz97, about M:TG wrote:I feel like Michael Jordan playing baseball.

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Going to throw in my support for vouchers, they still feel a bit like qualifying and are about triple the incentive of any other prize support.

Return to “Tournaments”