Massachusetts States - Sunday June 24

nrk100
Booster Pack
Booster Pack

Re: Massachusetts States - Sunday June 24

Post by nrk100 »

Last edited by nrk100 on January 13th, 2015, 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pistone84

Post by Pistone84 »

Wow guys...just play cards.

Casey is putting in a bunch of effort to get this thing going, and this event is going to be awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing some of the old crew!

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

nrk100 wrote:Casey,

Your characterization of the "classic scene in Worcester" was inaccurate. Please let me correct you.

By all accounts, our tournaments have been successful. Our typical turnouts are 10-15 guys; when we ran the Massachusetts state tournament two summers ago as a classic format event, our turnout was about 25, as I recollect. There remains a strong group of us who remain interested in playing cards. The problem is, it is difficult and time consuming to organize a tournament,
All I said was there hasn't been a Worcester tournament in a long time. There hasn't. I know you guys usually get turnout when you run events but correct me if I'm wrong, there hasn't been one in months.
nrk100 wrote:which is probably why we are the only ones in New England (nay, the East Coast) who run events attracting turnouts of more than four or five people.
New Hampshire States got close to 10 people in January. Also, I'm not sure if you're aware of what goes on on the rest of the East Coast but monthly events in Jersey, Maryland, Atlanta and other places routinely draw 10+. The MPC in Jersey in February had over 80 players. Worlds in DC last August had 65.
nrk100 wrote:More than fifty (50) different people have attended our tournaments since August 2008. We hail from different parts of the state - some of us from outside Massachusetts. The Springfield contingent only represents five or six guys. Jay, who is part of that contingent, initially helped organize the tournaments in my absence. I currently live in Virginia, but will likely be returning home permanently in August. We will continue to hold tournaments on a monthly basis when I return.
Good! I fully support you guys running as many tournaments as you can and I know you've been successful. The only point I was trying to make was that there hasn't been a Worcester tournament in a long time, and if there hasn't been a tournament it Worcester, I thought it was unlikely that the people that usually play in those events would want to come to an event in Boston. I would love to be proven wrong there and have all of you show up.
nrk100 wrote:If you have any other questions about our events, since you have never been to one, please let me know.
I would love to come to one of your events sometime, the only reason I haven't so far has been logistical, not because I dislike your events or anything like that. I'd be more than happy to play if I could make it work.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Renulous Trasel
Starter
Starter

Post by Renulous Trasel »

One of the things I feel needs to be worked on is getting the fan base around the nation included, and believe me when I say I know this is a challenge. I say this because I was an avid player of this game back in 2000 and 2001, and when the license gave way I heard nothing for almost eight years as to even the PC, not to mention any tournaments. It was only one night when I was excepionally bored and surfing the web late at night that I decided to read up on SWCCG and stumbled upon this site. Needless to say I'm glad I did.

I had only heard of a few events that were being held in the nation and unfortunately when looking for anything even remotely close to NH, I found only one which had passed in Mansfield MA I believe, and more on the west coast and in the central USA. This was part of the reason, with Casey's help, I ran the NH States tournament this January. Most of the players we had hadn't been in a tourament in years, perhaps due to the fact they were unaware of small local events with had little publicity.

I am glad that there is still a loyal fan base to this game, and it is always fun to play against a new opponent or even a familiar face with a new deck strategy. I just feel that there needs to be a clearer way of putting out there that this game still exists, and that there are tournaments still being held, no matter how big or small they are. With that said, now that I know that there will be future events in Worchester, I'd be happy to attend now that I know that they are still being held.
"Wipe them out...all of them."

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

Renulous Trasel wrote: I just feel that there needs to be a clearer way of putting out there that this game still exists,
This is something the PC has been working on for a long time, but it continues to be a challenge. Obviously if you have any ideas I'm sure the PC would love to hear them, but aside from what's already been tried (flyers in game stores, making sure we're near the top of Google search results, Facebook group, Twitter account, linking to the site from the Trek CC and a couple other places, convention presence when possible) I'm not really sure what else there is to try.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

This will be an Eric White Memorial Tournament. Please see the following link for information about these events.

http://www.starwarsccg.org/index.php?op ... =2&t=46877
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

hoobs
DS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by hoobs »

We stopped doing tournaments last year since we couldn't coordinate them around everyone's schedule...people were attending weddings, vacations, or other obligations. Me and Will are trying to coordinate some local stuff for the 6 people in my group but I'd love to get the Worcester tournaments going again.

nrk100 wrote:Casey,

Your characterization of the "classic scene in Worcester" was inaccurate. Please let me correct you.

By all accounts, our tournaments have been successful. Our typical turnouts are 10-15 guys; when we ran the Massachusetts state tournament two summers ago as a classic format event, our turnout was about 25, as I recollect. There remains a strong group of us who remain interested in playing cards. The problem is, it is difficult and time consuming to organize a tournament, which is probably why we are the only ones in New England (nay, the East Coast) who run events attracting turnouts of more than four or five people.

More than fifty (50) different people have attended our tournaments since August 2008. We hail from different parts of the state - some of us from outside Massachusetts. The Springfield contingent only represents five or six guys. Jay, who is part of that contingent, initially helped organize the tournaments in my absence. I currently live in Virginia, but will likely be returning home permanently in August. We will continue to hold tournaments on a monthly basis when I return.

If you have any other questions about our events, since you have never been to one, please let me know.

-Nick

spideyguy0 wrote:
AdOzzel wrote:I might be in.
I've been away from the v-cards for about 4 years or so.
I've been playing mainly classic format but I just might slap together a deck with v-cards.
There is a huge player base for the classic format. Any interst in having a side event?
Kinda hard to run a side event when the main event takes up the whole day. The classic scene in Worcester seems to have kinda died out lately. I haven't heard about any events in a while. If those guys want to run a classic event they should step up and run it, but if they can't get turnout for events in Worcester when most of them are based there or in Springfield I don't really hold out much hope for many of them traveling to Boston for a side event.
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Erik Markarian

Post by Erik Markarian »

I'm always down for Worcester.

Renulous Trasel
Starter
Starter

Post by Renulous Trasel »

Keep us posted please!
"Wipe them out...all of them."

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

2 week bump! Encourage anyone on the fence to get in touch with me and I'll do whatever I can to make it worth your while to attend this event.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

simnot2
Starter
Starter

Post by simnot2 »

After 6 years hiatus , I will be going. Virtual stuff and all. The SWCCG scene is coming back to Boston it seems like. Just went to a sealed deck in western Mass and Worcester just had a classic tourney last week with 10 peeps...

I am a bit overwhelmed with 90 pages of virtual cards. Does Blind Jedi instantly make Maul lost??

Rick G :epic:

WiseMarsellus

Post by WiseMarsellus »

no, blind jedi only makes light side jedi lost. maul is a "dark jedi", not a "jedi", so is not affected by blind jedi's gametext
tom kelly
Image Image Image Image
check out my youtube page for swccg video content, and my twitch for swccg live streams!

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

simnot2 wrote:After 6 years hiatus , I will be going. Virtual stuff and all. The SWCCG scene is coming back to Boston it seems like. Just went to a sealed deck in western Mass and Worcester just had a classic tourney last week with 10 peeps...

I am a bit overwhelmed with 90 pages of virtual cards. Does Blind Jedi instantly make Maul lost??

Happy to have you! If you need any help getting up to speed or have questions about anything else, feel free to ask here or PM me
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

Advocate
Advocate
GEMP Username: advocate

Post by Advocate »

I am planning on going to this, just need to coordinate things and avoid chicken sandwiches.

@swccg
worlds.starwarsccg.org
justin.tv/swccg
@swccg - Twitter
@swccg - Instagram
swccgpc - Twitch

Hayes
LS Region: Kashyyyk
LS Region: Kashyyyk

Post by Hayes »

simnot2 wrote:After 6 years hiatus , I will be going. Virtual stuff and all. The SWCCG scene is coming back to Boston it seems like. Just went to a sealed deck in western Mass and Worcester just had a classic tourney last week with 10 peeps...

Welcome back Rick!

simnot2
Starter
Starter

Post by simnot2 »

Mr Hunter... ??? :shock:

:saber: ???

Thanks!

Steviegets112
Booster Box
Booster Box

Post by Steviegets112 »

do we have a list of who is going to this? Scott are you coming alone? Any shot of Albany making the trip?

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

As of right now we've got 17 confirmed.
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

spideyguy0

Post by spideyguy0 »

spideyguy0 wrote:As of right now we've got 17 confirmed.
Make that 18
Casey A. - New York, NY
Image Image

MrPurple
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant

Post by MrPurple »

Steviegets112 wrote:do we have a list of who is going to this? Scott are you coming alone? Any shot of Albany making the trip?
The Albany guys will be there. See you all Sunday!
Matt Sokol

Return to “Tournaments”