Dutch Nationals Tournament Nijmegen - Sat 14 July 2018 - Set 9 will be legal!

Yoda007

Re: Dutch Nationals Tournament Nijmegen - Sat 14 July 2018 - Set 9 will be legal!

Post by Yoda007 »

arebelspy wrote:Congrats Fox!

I'll be curious to see his AOBS.

Surprised Bastian took HD, with the OA potential.
I see zero OAs... afterall, there might not be such potential to it.

Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

arebelspy

Re: Dutch Nationals Tournament Nijmegen - Sat 14 July 2018 - Set 9 will be legal!

Post by arebelspy »

Yeah, I meant with the possibility for it to show up, HD seems like a risky deck. Maybe Bastian put no one on playing it if Emil wasn't coming? Maybe he has some sweet tech or game plan for it? I'm curious.

tge.damen
GEMP Username: tge.damen

Post by tge.damen »

arebelspy wrote:Surprised Bastian took HD, with the OA potential.
Most of the Dutch players don't enjoy playing OA or playing against it - perhaps Bastian knew this, so it was a good choice.

Yoda007

Post by Yoda007 »

I think OA is still very hard to master to be successful with it, hence the lack of it at tournaments* - and it's mostly associated with Emil and Krypto. Both of them would do great with any other deck :)

*And most of the people just hate the new episodes. A few of my friends refuse to play MAP, too, just because it's ep-7.
Tamas Papp

"Oh come on! How could playtesting results have a greater weight in this discussion than pure opinions?!
What’s the point of this forum if you rather believe in people who tested those cards instead of people who just know?" -BW

Calaglin

Post by Calaglin »

It was nice to play some sweet again, thanks for organizing this tournament. And congrats to Stephan for keeping the Dutch title where it belongs :-D
A picture of the last game:
IMG_20180714_175022340.jpg
IMG_20180714_175022340.jpg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
IMG_20180714_175022340.jpg
IMG_20180714_175022340.jpg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 1038 times
Cedrik V. - Belgium
Ruler of the Low Countries

Commander Fox
GEMP Username: Fox

Post by Commander Fox »

Yoda007 wrote:
arebelspy wrote:Congrats Fox!

I'll be curious to see his AOBS.

Surprised Bastian took HD, with the OA potential.
I see zero OAs... afterall, there might not be such potential to it.
I think OA is the strongest LS deck at the moment though, it's just that not many people play it.

I'll see if I can write a fast TR. AOBS overall fun, interesting, and I think Koen found a great way to start the deck which I shamelessly copied. It did feel weak at times, very fragile so to say.
------

Stephan

First ever Dutchie in the World Championships top-8 (2019)

Commander Fox

Post by Commander Fox »

TR!

TR NL Nationals 2018
So, a quick write up of yesterday, the Dutch Nationals. Work has been super busy lately and I didn’t have a lot of time in the last few weeks to even look at my cards. Then Set 9 was released and I have to say, overall, I like it a lot. It gives a lot of new options, but mostly for LS. Seeing the new cards, I had a feeling that MAP, TTO and IE got nerfed so I didn’t feel like playing that. LS has so many options, it’s just mind numbing. So Nationals comes up, I didn’t really have any decks and Koen (last years champion) mails me an AOBS decklist. I liked it a lot.

Testing
The Tuesday before Nationals Koen and I play a few games in the evening while watching the semi-final of the football championship Belgium vs. France. During testing we found out that a new WHAP build doesn’t really work against Watto (too much pressure) and that TRM is pretty good against AOBS. But what to do with that information? As it turns out, not too much. I didn’t have enough time to come up with something else so I just pick a LS deck I’m familiar with: TRM (a lost horribly against Grady’s ISB during the EU MPC) and for dark I want to play the new AOBS: at least I’ll have fun and try a new deck.

The impact of Set 9 and meta prep for the Dutch Nationals
The impact on TRM is actually better than I expected with the new set. Relatively unprotected is very good agains TTO, ISB walkers and IE (no reacts!). Combined with the new starship lev & effective repairs (play it again!) and the new Odin Nesloor & First Aid (also cancels a react) means a few new tricks are in the deck. Rescue in the Clouds (V) is obviously a way to find more stuff. As a meta choice I threw in a Leia Rebel Princess thinking I’ll run into AOBS and Court Scum.

TRM
Spoiler
Show
1x Chewie With Bowcaster
1x Solo
1x Qui-Gon Jinn With Lightsaber
1x Captain Hera Syndulla
1x Corran Horn
1x Jyn Erso
2x Lando Calrissian, Scoundrel
1x Leia, Rebel Princess
5x Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
1x Obi-Wan With Lightsaber
1x Anakin Skywalker, Padawan Learner
1x Padme Naberrie (V)
1x General Leia Organa
1x Rey
1x Luke's Bionic Hand
1x Anger, Fear, Aggression (V)
1x Demotion
1x Insurrection & Aim High
1x Like My Father Before Me
1x Strikeforce (V)
1x Wokling (V)
1x Relatively Unprotected
1x A Jedi's Resilience
1x All Wings Report In & Darklighter Spin
1x Blaster Deflection
1x Clash Of Sabers
1x Escape Pod & We're Doomed
1x Heading For The Medical Frigate
1x Hear Me Baby, Hold Together (V)
1x Houjix
1x Impressive, Most Impressive (V)
1x Jedi Levitation (V)
1x Out Of Commission & Transmission Terminated
1x Rebel Leadership (V)
1x Sorry About The Mess & Blaster Proficiency
2x Speak With The Jedi Council
1x The Bith Shuffle & Desperate Reach
4x Wesa Gotta Grand Army
1x Rescue In The Clouds (V)
1x Effective Repairs & Starship Levitation
1x Odin Nesloor & First Aid
1x Coruscant: Jedi Council Chamber
1x Home One: Docking Bay
1x Hoth: Echo Docking Bay
1x Naboo: Battle Plains
1x Naboo: Boss Nass' Chambers
1x Yavin 4: Massassi Throne Room
1x Tantive IV (V)
1x The Falcon
2x Luke's Lightsaber
AOBS new style is very nice. Koen came up with the idea to do the Emperor start, that means you can immediately do the shadows draw and you give no force away. Depending on opponents deck you move them out turn one (with a free old school Vigo (forfeit 6) at the imperial city) to Xizor’s palace or just do the imperial square versus mains decks and wait another turn. Furthermore, lots of droids and Dr. Aphra. It can do a lot of direct damage to decks that leave you alone and I did expect quite some YOPS.

AOBS
Spoiler
Show
1x Baniss Keeg, Pilot Instructor
1x Boba Fett (V)
1x Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
1x Bossk (V)
1x Daroe (V)
1x Dengar With Blaster Carbine (V)
2x Dr. Cheli Lona Aphra
1x Greedo (V)
1x Jango Fett
1x Jodo Kast
2x Prince Xizor
1x Vigo
1x Zam Wesell
2x Emperor Palpatine
1x Emperor Palpatine, Foreseer
1x 4-LOM With Concussion Rifle (V)
3x B2 Battle Droid
1x Guri
1x IG-88 With Riot Gun
1x P-59
1x Probot
1x Crush The Rebellion
1x Knowledge And Defense (V)
1x No Escape
1x Search And Destroy
1x Shadows of the Empire
1x Something Special Planned For Them (V)
1x Xizor's Bounty
1x A Dark Time For The Rebellion (V)
1x According To My Design
1x Cold Feet (V)
2x Double Back (V)
1x Elis Helrot
1x Force Lightning
1x Ghhhk & Those Rebels Won't Escape Us
2x Hidden Weapons
1x I Have You Now
1x Imbalance & Kintan Strider
1x Imperial Barrier
1x Lana Dobreed & Sacrifice
1x Oh, Switch Off
1x Turn It Off! Turn It Off! (V)
1x Coruscant (V)
1x Coruscant: Imperial City (V)
1x Coruscant: Imperial Square
1x Coruscant: Xizor's Palace
1x Xizor’s Palace: Sewer
1x Xizor's Palace: Uplink Station
1x Agents Of Black Sun
1x Dengar In Punishing One
1x Falleen's Fist
1x Slave I, Symbol Of Fear
1x Zuckuss In Mist Hunter
Saturday: Nationals showdown
I was going for a 3-3 record for the day. Have some fun, play cards with friends. I feel that TRM should be fine, AOBS, I’m not so sure. During the train ride from Amsterdam to Nijmegen I make my final decks and ask the Dutch group if anyone has a few V-slips for me. I didn’t prepare well. I didn’t even play a Cad Bane (you should play him). It’s afwul.
Because we have to get out of the place where we are playing a little bit earlier than we would have liked games are times to 55 minutes. That means that overall we had a lot of timed games (first round all the games went to time).

Game 1 vs. Floris (playing DS CCT with Jabba’s Prize and AMN start).
Turn 1 I play the BNC, docking bay, draw some cards and give a go. He drops IG-88, and has no force left at the end of his turn. My turn, I drop Jyn and maybe a JCC (and forget about the deploy +1 from Jabba’s Prize, so I don’t have enough force for an additional character…). I attack anyway, and only draw a 1. So Floris loses a force and that’s it. He comes down with Vader Enforcer, cancels my text and overflows me for a few cards. Next turn I drop down Luke with saber and hand into the carbonite chamber and give a go. Floris plays Dooku, I don’t play the weapon stealing shield because I’m an idiot and he attacks and steals my saber, plays I have You Now. So Luke is gone, He moves out IG and Vader and I’m in a hard place. The rest of the game we battle back and forth over the Carbonite Chamber, I kill Dooku eventually and play a new Luke with a new Saber. I think I have an Anakin in the Audience Chamber draining a bit, but I can’t remember correctly. Time is called and because Floris had to look for a lot of cards I win on time, 11 cards difference. If the game had lasted longer, I think Floris would have won. TW +2

Game 2 vs. Mike (playing LS QMC)
Mike plays QMC so that means I have to put down some early pressure. Turn one I move Xizor and Emperor out to the palace, to set up the drain and the ping. Mike puts down some more sites and I think Harc in Ship to Bespin. My second turn he loses Luke to a topdeck ping damage, so that means there is a pretty good chance I can stay flipped all game. I deploy Boba in Ship and Dengar in Ship to take care of Harc and control Bespin system (that might have happened a turn later, my memory is a bit fuzy). I also move Xizor and Vigo on to the Uplink Station with a barrier in hand. Then I also use Shadows to ping him some more. He deploys some characters but my damage is too much with two from the objective, a shadows ping every turn, and four drain damage. He comes to Coruscant too late, and kills Xizor but it’s not enough, the damage does him in. FW +4

Game 3 vs. Angelo (playing DS Invasion)
Turn 1 I Wesa for the BNC, deploy a docking bay, spot my two speaks and JCC in the deck and just do a Rescue in the Clouds to see what happens. Lucky for me I fetch a speak and thus also JCC in my first turn. I’m all set. He deploys two Naboo sites (incl. the Courtyard) and draws up. My turn 2 I put down Luke and his stick at the Courtyard and that’s where most battles will take place. He plays a Maul with stick (the new V) and attack, he draws low on his saber, I draw low on the saber (including my Tantive 4), he draws low on destiny and Luke stays. Next turn I drain for three and draw some cards up, save some force and go. He reinforces his ship and puts a droid in front of Luke with a Gun. Next few turns we keep battling around the courtyard, Luke survives mostly or other LS characters join in, and does some overflow meaning that Angelo has to Ghhhk twice. So I think no more Ghhhks are left, but the droids keep coming back). I Rescue again to pull my Tantive somewhere along the way and the pressure means that he has to shuttle his droids down after a while. Tantive with Anakin, Falcon with Rey and Solo go against the Battleship and take it down. Anakin goes against the destiny 8 for forfeit, Falcon lands, Tantive controls the system (but it still isn’t a battleground, which means that I still have to pay for drains and I make the amateur mistake to pay three for a drain which gets cancelled with the Coward shield out, oh well). Anyway, we battle a lot, I sometimes cause some overflow for three or four and time is called. I’m ahead, but by a lot less then I imagined. At the end I spread around a lot and he comes down with P-59 against Padme, I refuse to draw that destiny so P-59 stays around and that leaves him open to a Qui-Gon with stick beatdown for a few more cards to seal the deal in my last turn (Blaster Deflection to stop his shot). He has the last turn but he can’t do any damage. TW +6

Game 4 vs. Cedric (playing LS YOPS)
Cedric starts fast with Haven, Luke Rebellions Hope in the new Red 5 and a flight suit. I move Xizor and Palpatine out to start the ping damage. He drains and draws high enough to make me stack a card. He loses some character off the top of his deck to some early pings so that helps a lot. During the game he also can’t find a solo for his falcon and he sometimes comes down with EPP Obi or Qui, Rey and Screaming Lando. I spread around to start the ping damages and a search and destroy to lure him out of hiding. I eventually lose the search and destroy and he owns a site. I put down Zuckuss on Nar Shadaa to add some pressure and Luke moves over. I beat down on Luke by deploying Boba and his Ship and another Bounty Hunter which causes something like 9 overflow so Luke has to go (and two more). I move to Yavin. In the end, oddly enough, I control space and most of the ground. He has a site with an EPP on it. Game. FW +8

So I’m at 4-0 and that means I’m above my target of 3-3. Going steady. But I have to play Cedric again and I know he’s a great player so let’s see what happens.

Game 5 vs. Cedric (playing DS Court Scum)
My starting hand is not too great. Only Qui-Gon, Luke’s Hand and Saber, and some red cards. I do have a wesa or BNC so I get that out and draw some cards to find at least the Lando (only character in my force pile). Second turn I drop down Qui-Gon, he gets a barrier I think, draw some more to find a speak and a Bowie. So I have a 16 card hand with two characters and a lot of red cards. Qui-Gon gets cleared somewhere alone the line. Next turn I lose a force to Court, can’t find the JCC with one of my two speaks and draw up to get a Luke, finally. By then, Cedric has Jabba, Greedo, IG-88 with gun and Djas Phurr in the Chamber. Luke comes down with Hand and Saber, I Clash Djas, and I initiate battle and I have all the tricks in my hand obviously. He plays Cease Fire, I play Hear me, he plays stunning leader, I play Impressive. So the battle goes on! I chop down on Jabba and Mess with him and use the hand to get Hear me baby back (to cancel hidden weapons). Only IG and Greedo and they don’t draw destiny, I draw a 6 (Luke makes it a 7 with LMFBM) and both of them have to go. Only a clashed Djas left. His turn Cedric comes down with Super Boba and Cad Bane. I play the Simple Tricks shield to stop his retrieval and he puts down Aphra on the pit to get the retrieval and initiates. He uses Cad Bane to cancel Luke’s Immunity, I use the hand to get back the Mess. Chop down on Cad Bane and Mess him, Boba doesn’t draw on his own so Boba goes as well. That would leave Cedric with just a Djas next turn against Luke and a lone Aphra. Before I can activate Cedric extends his hand so we can watch the Belgium football match on my phone. FW + 10

I hear Bastian also won and we both played LS so we can’t have the final confrontation in the last round. Because Bastian lost to Cedric in the first round and nobody else is at 5-0 I have to win to win. And otherwise it comes down to SOS (and afterward we found out our SOS was the same…).

Game 6 vs. Koen (playing LS QMC)
My last game against my friend and testing buddy Koen! He’s not going to hand it to me easily and that shows. I put down some early pressure, but he comes out with Young Skywalker. I know he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and I’m to hestitant to go after Luke. In retrospect, I should have. Instead I try to finish his Harc in ship at Bespin with Dengar and Boba but Boba gets barriered. I grab the barrier and made big mistake because then he could do a recurring Leadership to keep me at one destiny. He comes down with Home One and Ackbar, I Barrier. Next turn I reinforce space with IG and more fodder, and put the fist at Coruscant and after the battle move around on Coruscant to spread out more. I initiate the battle (because I would have had three destinies) but he leaderships and out of nowhere’s so He draws three, I draw one. He draws low so I lose some fodder. The rest of the game he keeps battling at Bespin, I keep reinforcing to keep space. Because of my full hand (more than 14 cards) and the fact he also has to keep reinforcing space and my damage pressure it’s hard for him to spread on the ground, not even enough to put down the celebration. Afterwards he told me he should have done that, and I agree. I should not have gone for Bespin system but for the ground. Oh well. We hear that there are eight minutes left. So I spread around with some small guys on cloud city, to keep the pressure up and when it’s his turn, time is called. That were eight very fast minutes (we think…). So that means it’s his last turn. He beats down on a lone Jodo with Solo and General Leia, I use hidden weapons to capture Solo (a three was on top). I capture him, lose Jodo and Ghhhk the damage. Skywalker beats down on a lone Aphra, I lose her and four cards from hand. He can’t battle anymore on Bespin system because he has no force or cards in reserve left. I’m ahead by two or three cards in the deck count and still have the last turn so I could drain for some. In the long run I think Koen would have won this game. TW + 12

Because the location closes there’s no time for a final confrontation with Bastian (lucky me, because in general his Profit should beat my AOBS and my TRM against HD is like 50/50).
So, very unexpectedly I went undefeated and keep the Dutch title where it belongs, in the Netherlands (and more specifically in Amsterdam ;-) :popcrn:

Deck performance
As for the decks, TRM was solid. AOBS was tricky at best. It can put down a lot of pressure but has difficulty to keep a strong Luke (or mains in general) where they belong: off the table. Activation is terrific and the Palpy start is awesome. Props to Koen for coming up with this idea. I played the deck on a lot of bluff: turn 2 or three just barf down a bunch of character everywhere and start pinging. Although you spread out a lot, a barrier, Xizor’s Bounty , Greedo or Ghhhk protect you enough. Or you just bluff that you have that in hand. Basically, my opponents have so many options for attacking that they don’t really know where or when to do so. Guess that helps the deck. I did like to play it a lot, and Shadows is so, so strong. Is it good enough for Euro’s or Worlds? Not this build, but it has a lot of potential.

Props/slops
Props to Tom for organizing, Floris for judging, Koen for letting me steal his AOBS idea and all of the players for playing! It felt like an awesome Saturday of causally playing cards, thanks guys! Slops to me for making a bunch of mistakes and overall playing like a wet towel at times. Also, I should take more time for deck building, I didn't even play a Cad Bane for crying out loud... I lucked out but I had to, to keep that title in the Netherlands. :epic:
------

Stephan

darkjediknight11
Communications Advocate
GEMP Username: djk11

Post by darkjediknight11 »

well played, and extra thanks for the report!

FlorisV

Post by FlorisV »

Great report Stephan! Best bits:
Commander Fox wrote: ...I don’t play the weapon stealing shield because I’m an idiot and he attacks and steals my saber...

... I make the amateur mistake to pay three for a drain which gets cancelled with the Coward shield out
:lol:

Don't worry, for the Cube next time we'll play without those blasted Defensive Shields!

And worst screwup in the tourney was by yours truly, forgetting Lando maintenance... :explode
http://www.mymero.com

Ryloth Region
ImageImage

Ericobasso
Starter
Starter

Post by Ericobasso »

Congrats again Stephan and well played!
Also good you managed to find time so quickly to write a TR. Good read!
Eric

arebelspy

Post by arebelspy »

I enjoyed the TR, thanks for writing it Stephan! Well played.

(The way the court one is told, djas would have still been clashed, and you were low on characters for aphra. Clash ends end of the next LS turn.)

tge.damen
GEMP Username: tge.damen

Post by tge.damen »

Decklists attached!
Attachments
Dutch Nationals Decklists.pdf
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
Dutch Nationals Decklists.pdf
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 130 times

Commander Fox

Post by Commander Fox »

arebelspy wrote:I enjoyed the TR, thanks for writing it Stephan! Well played.

(The way the court one is told, djas would have still been clashed, and you were low on characters for aphra. Clash ends end of the next LS turn.)
Yes, Djas would indeed still have been clashed. But Aphra could not move to Luke's site (because of the obvious beatdown) so she would have to stay on her own at the Pit. I had a Bowie, Lando and Leia rebel princess in hand for sure, so the first two would have been good enough for some overflow. I think I had a Bit Shuffle in hand, not sure.
------

Stephan

shawnd1984
Reflections Gold
Reflections Gold
GEMP Username: Shawnd1984

Post by shawnd1984 »

Great write up and great playing!
3MW0J8 wrote: "B-but... Muh Force drain bonuses!".

Jnapolit31
GEMP Username: jnapolit31

Post by Jnapolit31 »

Awesome to see and read about decklists, results and a report so quickly. Thanks all for first glimpse into post Set 9 world. Congrats Fox
Jared Napolitano
Follow Star Wars CCG on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/swccg
New to Gemp? Check out the Operational Guide & FAQ's here: viewtopic.php?f=964&t=75666
Spoiler
Show
2020 OCS: 51-21 (Q) ll 2019 OCS: 54-30 ll 2018 OCS: 41-55
GEMPC 4: Runner-up ll GEMPC 3: Final 8
2019 Coruscant Regional Winner ll 2019 MPC Consolation Bracket: Runner-up
Image Image

arebelspy

Re: RE: Re: Dutch Nationals Tournament Nijmegen - Sat 14 July 2018 - Set 9 will be legal!

Post by arebelspy »

Commander Fox wrote:
arebelspy wrote:I enjoyed the TR, thanks for writing it Stephan! Well played.

Yes, Djas would indeed still have been clashed. But Aphra could not move to Luke's site (because of the obvious beatdown) so she would have to stay on her own at the Pit. I had a Bowie, Lando and Leia rebel princess in hand for sure, so the first two would have been good enough for some overflow. I think I had a Bit Shuffle in hand, not sure.
Ah, yeah, Bowie and lando would have done it if he had no ghhk

marines28
GEMP Username: marines28

Post by marines28 »

Nice report. Thanks!
Steviegets112 wrote:The same 5 people are going to win consistently and there really isn't much any of you can do about it.
3MW0J8 wrote:
xblack: from now on it will be
xblack: gl/hf/nr
better damn believe it.
DTartagOne wrote: Yeah I agree with @marines28

gogolen
LS Region: Coruscant
LS Region: Coruscant
Holotable username: gogolen
GEMP Username: gogolen

Post by gogolen »

great report, and congrats on the win!

PC Store Manager
Kevbozzz wrote:I agree 100% with Gogolen's responses.
Now streaming games on Youtube & Twitch- please subscribe to my channels- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqwgj ... Xu5T9vp4AQ
Twitch- https://www.twitch.tv/gogolen

NEW & RETURNING PLAYER ARTICLES- https://forum.starwarsccg.org/viewt ... 32&t=50486

hanotsri

Post by hanotsri »

Edit. I see the lists

gossuii
GEMP Username: gossuii

Post by gossuii »

Cool TR Stephan, and congrats on the title! Now on to Europeans with well built decks and no (or less) mistakes and let's see where you end up :)
Gosse Z. - Seattle

Return to “Tournaments”